Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! II

Larry, I agree with you about Kathryn Dawn Lang. She is an amazing singer with a golden voice.

I love her rendition of Patsy Cline's "Crazy", and her duet with Roy Orbison belting out "Crying".

By the way, she plays a lesbian lounge singer in "The Black Dalhia". Gotta keep my eye and ear our for her, when I see the movie.

Mongo, thank you for remembering our birthdays. I was with out the internet for almost eight months but tried to keep up somewhat at work, so I still read the posts from time to time.

So just in case Mary Lou looks in I'd like to say happy birthday to her and I hope she's well.

Pete

Born this day November 3rd:

Lead/co-star Dolph Lundgren is 49.

Swedish blond-haired action star, in "A View to a Kill", "Rocky IV", "Master of the Universe", "Red Scorpion", "Universal Soldier", "Men of War", "The Last Patrol", "Direct Action", "The Defender", etc.

Married since 1994 (2 daughters). Lived with Grace Jones (also her bodyguard). Is a former disco doorman, and bodybuilder.

Was considered at one point for the role of Marvel Comics superhero Captain America.

Co-star/support Kate Capshaw is 53.

Vavacious actress, in "A Little Sex", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" good role, "Dreamscape", "Space Camp", "Black Rain", "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys", "How to Make an American Quilt", "The Love Letter", etc.

Married to Steven Spielberg (5 children). Also has a daughter from first marriage. Was on the soap "Edge of Night". A former model, she was last on the big screen in 1999.

Co-star/support Dennis Miller is 53.

Reliable actor/writer/host, in "Madhouse", "Disclosure", "The Net", "Never Talk to Strangers", "Bordello of Blood", "Murder at 1600", "Joe Dirt", etc.

Married since 1988 (2 sons). His TV show "Dennis Miller Live" was nominated for 15 Emmy Awards (won 4). Also on "Saturday Night Live".

A Conservative, he is good friends with Liberal comedy star Jon Stewart.

Lead/co-star Roseanne is 54.

Outrageous, plump comedy star (with a grating voice), appeared in a few films including, "She-Devil" good role, "Look Who's Talking Too (voice), "Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare", "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues", "Blue in the Face", etc.

Married 3 times including to Tom Arnold. Mother of 5 children, of which she gave up her first daughter for adoption. Began as a standup comic. Is the star of the popular TV series "Roseanne", for which she won both an Emmy and Golden Globe Award. AKA Roseanne Barr.

Quoted: "This town is a back-stabbing, scum-sucking, small-minded town, but thanks for the money." - From an ad she took out in "The Hollywood Reporter"

Lead/co-star Ken Berry is 73.

Reliable, homespun actor/dancer, in "Two for the Seesaw", "The Lively Set", "Hello Down There", "Herbie Rides Again", "The Cat from Outer Space", etc.

Divorced from Jackie Joseph (2 adopted children). On the popular TV series "F Troop", "Mayberry RFD", and "Mama's Family". He served in the U.S. Army. Has since retired from acting.

Composer John Barry is 73.

Prolific film composer, won Oscar best music for "Born Free", "The Lion in Winter", "Out of Africa", and "Dances with Wolves". Nominated for "Mary, Queen of Scots", and "Chaplin". Scored most most of the James Bond films, plus numerous others.

Married 4 times (3 children). Nominated for 11 Golden Globe Awards (won 1).

His last film score was for "Enigma" (2001) and although his stage musical, "Brighton Rock", had a short run in London in 2004, he shows no sign of re-emerging into the world of film music.

Co-star/support Lois Smith is 76 today.

Essential character actress, in "East of Eden", "Strange Lady in Town", "Five Easy Pieces" good role (she won the National Society of Film Critics Award), "Up the Sandbox", "Next Stop, Greenwich Village" good role, "Fatal Attraction", "Fried Green Tomatoes", "Twister", "The Pledge", "Hollywoodland", etc.

A prominent stage actress (Tony Award nominee). Appeared on various TV soaps. She is an ordained minister.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Wanda Hendrix (52) 1928-1981.

Lovely, green-eyed actress, in "Nora Prentiss", "Ride the Pink Horse" good role, "Miss Tatlock's Millions" fun comedy, "Prince of Foxes", "Captain Carey U.S.A.", "Saddle Tramp", "My Outlaw Brother" w/Mickey Rooney, "The Highwayman", "Highway Dragnet" w/Richard Conte, "Johnny Cool", etc.

Married 3 times including to Audie Murphy. She died of double pneumonia.

Lead/co-star Charles Bronson (81) 1921-2003.

Popular, rugged action star, in "House of Wax", "Miss Sadie Thompson", "Apache" w/Lancaster, "Never So Few", "The Magnificent Seven", "The Great Escape", "The Dirty Dozen", "The Valachi Papers", "The Mechanic", "Death Wish" and sequels, "Hard Times", "The White Buffalo", "Death Hunt", "The Evil That Men Do", "Murphy's Law", "The Indian Runner", etc.

Married 3 times including to Jill Ireland. Father of 3 children. Won Golden Globe Award for World Film favorite. Has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Director John Huston summed up Charles Bronson as "A grenade with the pin pulled".

Actor Dick Van Dyke received a lemon cake every Christmas from Bronson, who lived nearby in Malibu for 16 years.

In memory of those who died this day November 3rd:

Character actor William Desmond in 1949 at age 71, superior singer/actress Mary Martin in 1990 at age 76, dependable actor John Lupton in 1993 at age 65, lovely blonde starlet Martha O'Driscoll in 1998 at age 76, and comedic actor Jonathan Harris (Dr. Smith on 'Lost in Space') in 2002 at age 87.

Also sharpshooter Annie Oakley in 1926 at age 66.

Mongo

I wore out my cds of John Barry's Out of Africa and Moviola, which features an incredible range of his music from James Bond themes on---so much for the alleged indestructibility of compact discs! Let's not forget Barry's incredibly beautiful adaptation of Rachmaninoff for the film of the ?ber-weepie, Somewhere in Time, either. I once saw him interviewed about that score and he said that he wrote it shortly after the death of his mother and father, and when he listened to it, the sound brought back a flood of memories about them to him. No wonder it's touched so many people deeply.

I hope that he is still composing somewhere, if only for his own pleasure. He's given me great joy listening to his music. It's nice to see that others like him too, Larry & Mongo.

This is "cheesy", I suppose, but I'm a movie fan and it influences my life in many ways. A few years back I went on safari in Mpumalanga (South Africa) and Swaziland, and I took a recording of John Barry's soundtrack to Out of Africa and listened to it there while surrounded by the most incredible array of fauna. This became the "soundtrack" to some of the time I spent in Africa, and when I listen to it now, the memories flood back... Thank you John Barry (and Mr. Mongo).

Dang, Jack! What a wonderful memory of a time and place. Of course, for the majority of us one of the real stars of Out of Africa, aside from the score, was the glorious cinematography of David Watkin, which really swept one away to that place and time. I'm so glad that I saw that movie in a theatre. T'ain't the same on video. As a person who read and reread Born Free, The Flame Trees of Thika, and Karen Blixen's stories, I've only been to Africa in my imagination---I seriously envy you. Sorry to hijack your thread momentarily, Mongo.

;)

Born this day November 4th:

Lead/co-star Matthew McConaughey is 37.

Tall, appealing actor, in "Angels in the Outfield", "Boys on the Side", "Lone Star" good movie, "A Time to Kill", "Amistad", "Contact", "The Newton Boys", "The Wedding Planner", "Frailty", "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days", "Tiptoes", "Two for the Money", "Failure to Launch", etc.

Has dated many of the starlets in Hollywood, notably Penelope Cruz. Loves to play golf.

Lead/co-star Ralph Macchio is 44.

Dark, lanky juvenile actor, remembered as Daniel-san in "The Karate Kid". Also in "The Outsiders" good role, "Teachers", "My Cousin Vinny", "Naked in New York", "The Office Party", "A Good Night to Die", etc.

Married since 1987 (2 children, Julia & Daniel). Also a director, he appears on stage.

Co-star/support Loretta Swit is 69.

Dependable blonde actress, remembered as Hotlips Houlihan on the smash TV series "M*A*S*H" (she received 10 Emmy Award nominations, winning twice). In "Stand Up and Be Counted", "Deadhead Miles", "Freebie and the Bean", "Race with the Devil", "S.O.B.", "Beach Movie", etc.

Divorced, she was last on screen in 1998. Also on stage. Wrote a book about needlepoint.

Co-star/support Doris Roberts is 77.

Delightful character actress, outstanding as Marie Barrone on the hit TV series "Everybody Loves Raymond" (won 4 Emmy Awards). In "Something Wild", "No Way to Treat a Lady", "The Honeymoon Killers" coming to TCM, "Such Good Friends", "The Heartbreak Kid", "Rabbit Test", "The Rose", "Christmas Vacation", "All Over the Guy", etc.

Married twice (1 son, who manages her career). On the TV series "Remington Steele". She lives in a house once owned by James Dean.

Quoted: "Everything in life comes to an end. I've known loss. I've lost my husband, I've lost friends. When my husband died, I was devastated"

Lead/co-star Bobby Breen is 79 today.

Once popular, curly-haired boy soprano of the 1930s. In "Let's Sing Again", "Rainbow on the River", "Make a Wish", "Hawaii Calls", "Way Down South", "Escape to Paradise", etc.

Married 3 times. Pursued a nightclub act. Last on screen in 1942, he resides in Florida.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Kate Reid (62) 1930-1993.

Essential character actress, in "This Property is Condemned", "The Andromeda Strain", "A Delicate Balance" (Golden Globe nominee), "Equus", "Atlantic City" outstanding role, "Double Negative", "Highpoint", "Sweethearts Dance", "Deceived", etc.

Married twice (2 children). Was a prominent stage actress (Tony Award nominee). On the TV series "Dallas".

Burt Lancaster was cool to her on the set of "Atlantic City", since he wanted Ginger Rogers for the part.

Lead/co-star Art Carney (85) 1918-2003.

Talented comedic actor, won Oscar best actor for "Harry and Tonto" (also won Golden Globe Award). In "The Yellow Rolls-Royce", "W.W. and the Dixie Dancekings", "The Late Show" good movie, "House Calls", "Movie Movie", "Sunburn", "Going in Style" good role, "Take This Job and Shove It", "Last Action Hero", etc.

Divorced his wife of 25 years, and remarried her 15 years later, until his death (3 children). A WWII veteran. He won six Emmy Awards for his role as the hilarious Ed Norton on the TV series "The Honeymooners".

Quoted: "I love Ed Norton and what he did for my career. But the truth is that we couldn't have been more different. Norton was the total extrovert, there was no way you could put down his infectious good humor. Me? I'm a loner and a worrier."

Lead/co-star Cameron Mitchell (75) 1918-1994.

Versatile actor, in over 100 films including, "Cass Timberlane", "Homecoming", "Death of a Salesman", "Man on a Tightrope", "How to Marry a Millionaire", "The Robe" (the voice of Jesus Christ), "Love Me or Leave Me" as Doris Day's guy, "Carousel" as Jigger, "Monkey on My Back" good role, "All Mine to Give", etc.

Married 3 times (4 children). On the TV series "The High Chaparral".

Co-star/support Virginia Field (74) 1917-1992.

Reliable blonde actress, in "Little Lord Fauntleroy", "Lloyd's of London", "Captain Fury", "Waterloo Bridge" good role as Viven Leigh's pal Kitty, "Hudson's Bay" w/Muni, "Christmas Eve", "John Loves Mary", "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" w/Crosby, "Week-End with Father" w/Van Heflin, "The Veils of Bagdad", etc.

Married to Paul Douglas (1 daughter), and to Willard Parker until her death.

Co-star/support Martin Balsam (76) 1919-1996.

Essential character actor, won Oscar best support for "A Thousand Clowns". In "On the Waterfront", "12 Angry Men" as juror #1, "Psycho" as the unfortunate Arbogast, "The Carpetbaggers", "Catch-22", "Little Big Horn", "All the President's Men", "The Sentinel", "St. Elmo's Fire", etc.

Married 3 times (3 children). Also a stage and TV actor.

Co-star/support Gig Young (64) 1913-1978.

Tall, talented, debonair actor, won Oscar best support for his strong performance in "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" (coming to TCM). Oscar nominated for "Come Fill the Cup" w/Cagney, and "Teacher's Pet". In "The Gay Sisters", "Old Acquaintance", "Wake of the Red Witch", "Lust for Gold", "The City That Never Sleeps", "Torch Song" w/Crawford, "Young at Heart", "The Desperate Hours", "Desk Set", "The Tunnell of Love" (won Golden Globe Award), "Strange Bedfellows", "Ask Any Girl", etc.

Married to Elizabeth Montgomery (1 daughter). In less than a month of marriage, he shot and killed his 5th. wife, and then committed suicide. What a waste.

Co-star/support Frank Jenks (59) 1902-1962.

Essential, wavy-haired character actor (usually with the wisecracks), in over 100 films. In "The Lady in the Morgue", "Golden Boy", "His Girl Friday", "Back Street", "The Human Comedy", "Christmas in Connecticut", "Kilroy Was Here", "Blonde Savage", "Woman on the Run" w/Sheridan, "I Was an American Spy", "Women's Prison", "Not as a Stranger", etc.

A song-and-dance man in vaudeville.

Co-star/support Ian Wolf (96) 1896-1992.

Sterling character actor in over 200 films. In "The Raven", "Mutiny on the Bounty" as Maggs, "Marie Antoinette", "You Can't Take it With You", "On Borrowed Time", "Foreign Correspondent", "Saboteur", "Maytime", "Mrs. Miniver", "Bedlam", "Johnny Belinda", "A Place in the Sun", "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers", "Witness for the Prosecution" as Laughton's valet, "Homebodies" unusual drama about senior citizens, "Reds", "Dick Tracy", etc.

Married with 2 daughters. Made numerous TV appearances, notably on "W.K.R.P. in Cincinatti". Was a trail-climbing addict, well into his 80s.

In memory of those who died this day November 4th:

Oscar winning producer Sam Zimbalist in 1958 at age 54, actor/dancer Johnny Coy in 1973 at age 52, pretty starlet Sheila Ryan in 1975 at age 54, promising actress Dominique Dunne murdered in 1982 at age 22, and bubbly blonde actress Sheree North in 2005 at age 73.

Mongo

Born this day November 5th:

Lead/co-star Sam Rockwell is 38.

Impressive actor, in "Last Exit to Brooklyn", "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", "Basquiat", "Box of Moonlight", "Lawn Dogs", "The Green Mile" chilling as the psycho Wild Bill, "Galaxy Quest", "Charlie's Angels", "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" good role, "Matchstick Men", "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", etc.

He says that actress Sarita Choudhury was the one that got away. "She was amazing, really amazing. I loved Sarita. She was my pal"

Lead/co-star Tatum O'Neal is 43.

Former blonde child star, won Oscar best support as Addie in "Paper Moon". Also in "Bad News Bears", "Nickelodeon", "International Velvet", "Little Darlings", "Prisoners", "Basquiat", "The Scoundrel's Wife", etc.

Daughter of the late, lovely Joanna Moore and Ryan O'Neal. Divorced from tennis champ John McEnroe (3 children). Had a best selling tell-all book "A Paper Life". Had a severe drug problem.

Youngest person to ever win a competitive Oscar.

Lead/co-star Tilda Swinton is 46.

Striking British actress, in "Orlando", "Female Perversions", "The War Zone", "The Beach", "The Deep End" good role, "Vanilla Sky", "Adaptation", "The Statement", "Constantine", "Broken Flowers", etc.

Married with 2 childre, she resides in Scotland. Went to school with Princess Diana.

Co-star/support Robert Patrick is 48.

Dependable, brawny actor, in "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" as T-1000, "Wayne's World", "Fire in the Sky" good role, "Striptease", "Rosewood", "Cop Land", "All the Pretty Horses", "Ladder 49", "Walk the Line", "Flags of Our Fathers", etc.

Married since 1990 (2 children). On the TV series "The X Files" as John Doggett, "The Sopranos", and "The Unit". Enjoys riding motorcycles.

Co-star/support Sam Shepard is 63.

Essential, versatile actor, Oscar nominated best support for "The Right Stuff". In "Days of Heaven", "Raggedy Man", "Paris, Texas", "Country", "Baby Boom", "Steel Magnolias" as Dolly Parton's husband, "The Pelican Brief", "The Pledge", "All the Pretty Horses", "Black Hawk Down", "The Notebook", "Don't Come Knocking", etc.

Divorced (1 son). Has been living with Jessica Lange since 1982 (2 children). A prominent playwright, he won the Pulitzer Prize. Has a fear of flying.

Lead/co-star Elke Sommer is 66.

Blonde German beauty, in "The Victors" good war drama, "The Prize" (won Golden Globe Award), "A Shot in the Dark", "The Money Trap", "Deadlier Than the Male", "The Oscar", "Zeppelin", "Top of the Hill", etc.

Divorced from writer Joe Hyams. Married again since 1993. Has made numerous films in Germany. Also performed as a singer.

Co-star/support Richard Davalos is 71 today.

Reliable actor, remembered as James Dean's brother Aaron in "East of Eden". Also in "The Sea Chase" w/Wayne, "All the Young Men", "Cool Hand Luke", "Kelly's Heroes", "Hot Stuff", "Death Hunt", etc.

Married, he is the grandfather of Alexa Davalos who played Kyra on TVs "The Chronicles of Riddick". Has done some TV work. Last on screen in 1998.

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Vivien Leigh (53) 1913-1967.

Beautiful English actress, won Oscars' best actress for "Gone With the Wind" as Scarlett O'Hara, and for "A Streetcar Named Desire" as Blanche DuBois. In "A Yank at Oxford", "Sidewalks of London" w/Laughton, "Waterloo Bridge" her favorite role, "That Hamilton Woman", "The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone", "Ship of Fools", etc.

Divorced from Laurence Olivier after 20 years. Had a daughter from her first marriage. Won a Tony Award for the play "Tovarich". A lover of cats, especially Siamese.

Suffered from TB, and was a manic depressive.

Co-star/support John McGiver (62) 1912-1975.

Big, bald character actor (sort of nasal), in "Love in the Afternoon", "The Gazebo", "Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation", "The Manchurian Candidate", "My Six Loves", "Fitzwilly", "Midnight Cowboy" good role, "Mame", etc.

Married, he left behind 10 children. Appeared on TV numerous times. Was formerly a New York City school teacher.

Lead/co-star Roy Rogers (86) 1911-1990.

Handsome actor/singer, along with his pal Trigger was King of the Cowboys, appearing in many westerns along with his wife Dale Evans. Also in "Dark Command" w/Wayne, "Young Buffalo Bill", "Son of Paleface" w/Bob Hope, "Alias Jesse James", etc.

He and Dale also starred on the popular TV series "The Roy Rogers Show".

Married 3 times (50 years to Dale). He was born Leonard Slye. Once received close to 80,000 fan letters in one month. His horse Trigger was stuffed and is displayed in a museum.

Quoted: "When I die, just skin me out and put me up on old Trigger and I'll be happy."

Lead/co-star Joel McCrea (84) 1905-1990.

Tall, amiable, and underrated actor, in "Bird of Paradise", "The Most Dangerous Game", "These Three", "Come and Get It", "Dead End", "Union Pacific", "Primrose Path", "Foreign Correspondent", "Sullivan's Travels", "The Palm Beach Story", "Stars in My Crown" his personal favorite, "Ride the High Country" exceptional western, etc.

Was married to Frances Dee for 57 years (3 sons including Jody McCrea). Had his own TV series.

Quoted: "I have no regrets, except perhaps one: I should have tried harder to be a better actor."

Co-star/support Jessie Ralph (79) 1864-1944.

Endearing character actress, plump faced and matronly. In "David Copperfield" as Peggotty, "Les Miserables", "Captain Blood", "San Francisco", "Camille", "The Good Earth", "The Last of Mrs. Cheyney" as the Duchess, "Drums Along the Mohawk", "The Blue Bird", Star Dust", "I Want a Divorce', "The Bank Dick" as W.C. Fields' mother-in-law, "They Met in Bombay", etc.

Was married to western actor Bill Patton. A diabetic, she lost a leg prior to her death.

In memory of those who died this day November 5th:

Grand showman George M. Cohan in 1942 at age 64, essential character actor Ward Bond in 1960 at age 57, silent comedy producer Mack Sennett in 1960 at age 80, dependable character actor Lloyd Corrigan in 1969 at age 69, grand orchestra leader Guy Lombardo (Mr. New Year's Eve) in 1977 at age 75, and essential movie star Fred MacMurray in 1991 at age 83.

Mongo

Aftermath, I did have plans to vacate the Happy Birthday thread January 1, 2007, with hopes that a boardmember could/would take it over.

There was a time when boardmember Wordmaster showed interest in continuing with the thread, however he/she has since vanished.

I'll see what my situation is as the time draws near, and perhaps I can extend it, and eventually end it, if no volunteers step forward.

Happy to say that the thread had a 4 year run, with close to 50,000 views.

Sorry. A bit late today. Had to put down our beloved boxer this morning. It was hard indeed.

Born this day November 6th:

Lead/co-star Rebecca Romijn is 34.

Blonde-haired, blue-eyed beauty, in "X-Men" as Mystique, "Rollerball", "Femme Fatale", "X2", "The Punisher", "Godsend", "The Alibi", "Man About Town", etc.

Divorced from John Stamos. Engaged to actor Jerry O'Connell. On the TV series "Pepper Dennis".

Her name is pronounced Romaine, like the lettuce.

Lead/co-star Ethan Hawk is 36.

Dependable actor, Oscar nominated best support for "Training Day". Also in "Explorers", "Dead Poet's Society" coming to TCM, "Dad", "Alive", "Reality Bites", "Quiz Show", "Before Sunrise", "Gattaca", "Great Expectations", "The Newton Boys", "Snow Falling on Cedars", "Tape", "Before Sunset", "Lord of War", etc.

Divorced from Uma Thurman (2 children). Also a stage actor. He is a big fan of "Star Wars".

Lead/co-star Sally Field is 60.

Adorable, talented actress, won two Oscars' best actress for "Norma Rae", and for "Places in the Heart". Also in "Stay Hungry", "Smokey and the Bandit" (Golden Globe nominee), "Absence of Malice" (Golden Globe nominee), "Kiss Me Goodbye" (Golden Globe nominee), "Murphy's Romance" (Golden Globe nominee), "Steel Magnolia's" (Golden Globe nominee), "Not Without My Daughter", "Mrs. Doubtfire", "Forrest Gump", "Eye for an Eye", "Two Weeks", etc.

Married twice (3 sons). Mother is actress Margaret Field. On the TV series "Gidget", and "The Flying Nun". Had a serious relationship with Burt Reynolds. Won a Emmy Award for her strong performance as "Sybil". Currently on TVs "ER".

Director/producer Mike Nichols is 75 today.

Essential filmmaker, won Oscar best director for "The Graduate". Nominated for "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?", "Silkwood", and "Working Girl". Also helmed "Catch-22", "Carnal Knowledge", "Biloxi Blues", "Postcards from the Edge", "The Birdcage", "Primary Colors", "Closer" (Golden Globe nominee), etc.

Married 4 times (currently 18 years to Diane Sawyer). Teamed with Elaine May for a successful comedy career. Also won 7 Tony Awards and 2 Emmy Awards.

Once worked in Howard Johnsons restaurant in New York's Time Square.

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Brad Davis (41) 1949-1991.

Talented, intense actor, remembered as Billy Hayes in "Midnight Express" (Golden Globe nominee best actor). Also in "A Circle of Friends", "Chariots of Fire", "Querelle" good role, "Heart", "Cold Steel", "Hangfire", etc.

Married with 1 child. Brother of Gene Davis. Appeared in various made-for-TV movies. Died of AIDS complications.

Quoted: "Hollywood is an industry that gives umpteen benefits and charity affairs with proceeds going to (AIDS) research. But in actual fact, if an actor is even rumored to have HIV, he gets no support on an individual basis. He does not work."

Co-star/support Selena Royale (78) 1904-1983.

Lovely, sincere character actress, remembered as the mom of "The Fighting Sullivans". Also in "The Harvey Girls", "The Green Years", "Till the End of Time", "The Romance of Rosey Ridge", "Cass Timberlane", "My Dream Is Yours", "The Heiress", "He Ran All the Way" w/Garfield, "Come Fill the Cup" w/Cagney, etc.

Married twice. On the TV soap "As the World Turns". Also a stage actress. Blacklisted in the 1950s, although she proved no involvement. Retired to Mexico.

She also was a successful author of cookbooks and books about Mexico. One of her books was aptly titled "The Gringa's Guide to Mexican Cooking."

Co-star/support Juanita Hall (66) 1901-1968.

Delightful African-American actress/singer, remembered as Bloody Mary in "South Pacific". Also in "Paradise in Harlem", "Harlem Follies of 1949", "Flower Drum Song", etc. Won a Tony Award for "South Pacific" on Broadway. Appeared numerous times on Ed Sullivan's "Toast of the Town" TV variety show.

Married a young actor, Clement Hall, while in her teens. He died in the 1920s. They had no children and she never remarried.

Lead/Co-star Francis Lederer (100) 1899-2000.

Skillful, darkly handsome actor, in "One Rainy Afternoon", "Midnight", "Confessions of a Nazi Spy", "The Man I Married", "The Bridge of San Luis Rey", "The Diary of a Chambermaid" w/Paulette Goddard, "Lisbon", etc.

Married 3 times including to Margo of "Lost Horizon" fame. He taught an acting class one day a week, while into his 90s.

Co-star/support Ole Olsen (70) 1892-1963.

Comedic, lanky half of the lunatic team of Olsen and Johnson. For Universal Pictures they starred in "Hellzapoppin", "Crazy House", "Ghost Catchers", "See My Lawyer", etc.

Also performed in vaudeville. The comedy duo died a year apart and both from kidney ailments.

Co-star/support June Marlowe (80) 1903-1984.

Pretty, petite actress in silent films, although remembered as school teacher Miss Crabtree in the early 1930s "Our Gang" comedy shorts.

Was married close to 50 years. She was actually a brunette and wore a blonde wig for her role as Miss Crabtree. Was also a fashion model, horse woman, and author of 2 childrens books.

In memory of those who died this day November 6th:

Dependable character actor (usually a tough guy) Paul Kelly in 1956 at age 57, writer Patrick Dennis (Auntie Mame) in 1976 at age 55, and beautiful movie star Gene Tierney in 1991 at age 70.

Mongo

Mongo, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family. The only time that I've ever been truly disappointed by a dog was when they have to leave this world long before I'm ready for them to go. Since this board honors classic films and their stars, I hope that it might be okay to share this poem about his dog that Jimmy Stewart wrote. I hope that this "doggerel" might help, just a bit, since I think that it captures something of that unbreakable bond we who love dogs will always feel:

Beau by Jimmy Stewart

He never came to me when I would call

Unless I had a tennis ball,

Or he felt like it,

But mostly he didn't come at all.

When he was young

He never learned to heel

Or sit or stay,

He did things his way.

Discipline was not his bag

But when you were with him things sure didn't drag.

He'd dig up a rosebush just to spite me,

And when I'd grab him, he'd turn and bite me.

He bit lots of folks from day to day,

The delivery boy was his favorite prey.

The gas man wouldn't read our meter,

He said we owned a real man-eater.

He set the house on fire

But the story's long to tell.

Suffice it to say that he survived

And the house survived as well.

On the evening walks, and Gloria took him,

He was always first out the door.

The Old One and I brought up the rear

Because our bones were sore.

He would charge up the street with Mom hanging on,

What a beautiful pair they were!

And if it was still light and the tourists were out,

They created a bit of a stir.

But every once in a while, he would stop in his tracks

And with a frown on his face look around.

It was just to make sure that the Old One was there

And would follow him where he was bound.

We are early-to-bedders at our house--

I guess I'm the first to retire.

And as I'd leave the room he'd look at me

And get up from his place by the fire.

He knew where the tennis balls were upstairs,

And I'd give him one for a while.

He would push it under the bed with his nose

And I'd fish it out with a smile.

And before very long

He'd tire of the ball

And be asleep in his corner

In no time at all.

And there were nights when I'd feel him

Climb upon our bed

And lie between us,

And I'd pat his head.

And there were nights when I'd feel this stare

And I'd wake up and he'd be sitting there

And I reach out my hand and stroke his hair.

And sometimes I'd feel him sigh

and I think I know the reason why.

He would wake up at night

And he would have this fear

Of the dark, of life, of lots of things,

And he'd be glad to have me near.

And now he's dead.

And there are nights when I think I feel him

Climb upon our bed and lie between us,

And I pat his head.

And there are nights when I think

I feel that stare

And I reach out my hand to stroke his hair,

But he's not there.

Oh, how I wish that wasn't so,

I'll always love a dog named Beau.

I remember Jimmy reading that on the Tonight Show..even Johnny Carson's eyes welled with tears. It is a heart wrenching tribute that can only be appreciate by animal lovers. ( Not some of the Animals on the Message Board), bur seriously it was very touching and I willl never forget it! Many thanks for printing this wonderful tribute to man's best friend.