Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! II

Thanks so very much to all of you for your condolences regarding our beloved Huntz.

And Moira, the poem was lovely and most comforting for us.

Huntz was a slobbering big ox (overweight), and he loved to lick your legs. He was wonderful with children, who adored him.

He loved to eat, and drank plenty of water, as Boxers do. He would remind us when it was time to get fed, and waited patiently like a gent, for his food to be served.

His bark was worst than his bite (which he never did), and wagged his nub of a tail, when company arrived. He enjoyed being around people.

His companion was our late toy poodle Sam, who he most respected, allowing him first dibs on treats. Sam did get a bit nervous when Huntz would want to play with him though.

He walked like a Rhino, and looked like Edward G. Robinson. I loved that.

Unfortunately Huntz took ill and was plagued with painful seizures. Come to find out it is a common trait in such a breed.

His mix of medication either made him sleep, or suffer anxiety. Yet, the seizures continued. The quality of life for him was gone. He was dazed and the twinkle in his eye had disappeared. He was only 42.

Now at peace, I just wonder who's legs he is licking now. I'm certain that Sam was glad to see him again.

Mongo

Born this day November 7th:

Co-star/support Michael Byrne is 63.

Reliable British character actor, in "Vampyres", "The Eagle Has Landed", "Force 10 from Navarone", "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" as a Nazi, "Braveheart", "The Saint", "Gangs of New York", "Beyond the Sea", etc.

Father of actress Allie Byrne.

Lead/co-star Barry Newman is 68.

Appealing actor, in "Vanishing Point", "Night Games", "Pretty Boy Floyd", "City on Fire", "Daylight", "The Limey", "Bowfinger", "40 Days and 40 Nights", "Manhood", etc.

Star of the TV series "Petrocelli" (Golden Globe nominee best actor).

I saw Mr. Newman in New York City some years ago, he was wearing a shiney belt buckle with the initials BN on it. Positive ID?

Co-star/support Jackie Joseph is 72 today.

Dependable, zany actress, in "King Creole", "The Little Shop of Horrors", "A Guide for the Married Man", "Who's Minding the Mint?", "With Six You Get Eggroll", "The Cheyenne Social Club", "Get Crazy", "Gremlins", "Police Academy 2", etc.

Divorced from Ken Berry (2 adopted children). Has taken another husband since 2003. Appeared on TV including "The Doris Day Show". Last on screen in 1998.

She was co-founder and president of the Ladies Club (also called the Hollywood Dumpettes), a support and recovery group for divorced wives of stars, often after many years of marriage.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Joe Cobb (85) 1916-2002.

Former child star, with his beanie cap and chubby cheeks, delighted movie-goers in 86 'Little Rascals' comedy shorts (mostly silents and a few talkies).

He was 5 years old when his dad auditioned him for producer Hal Roach. In the 1940s he worked for North American Aviation. He stood about 5ft. tall.

Co-star/support Dean Jagger (87) 1903-1991.

Essential character actor, won Oscar best support for "Twelve O'Clock High". Also in "People Will Talk", "Brigham Young" title role, "The North Star", "Sister Kenny", "Rawhide" w/Tyrone Power, "The Robe", "Executive Suite", "White Christmas", "Bad Day at Black Rock", "The Nun's Story" as Audrey Hepburn's father, "Elmer Gantry", "Firecreek", "Game of Death", etc.

Married 3 times (1 daughter). Co-starred on the TV series "Mr. Novak". Spoke with a pronounced "lisp" in real life, every -day speech. This speech characteristic only disappeared in front of the camera.

Lead/co-star Leatrice Joy (91) 1893-1985.

Silent screen beauty, in both comedy shorts and feature films. In DeMille's "Manslaughter", "Saturday Night", "The Ten Commandments" and "Triumph". Also in "The Ace of Hearts", "A Most Immoral Lady", "The Love Trader", "First Love", etc.

Married to screen idol John Gilbert (1 daughter). She started the bobbed hair craze in the 1920s. Katharine Hepburn admired her acting style. Last on screen in 1951.

Co-star/support Lucille La Verne (75) 1869-1945.

Superior character actress, 'homely' and delightfully 'evil' in silents and talkies. In "Polly of the Circus", "Orphan's of the Storm" mean to poor Lillian Gish, "Little Caesar" as Ma Magdalena, "An American Tragedy", "The Unholy", "The Mighty Barnum", "A Tale of Two Cities" outstanding as La Vengeance, Madame Defarge's lieutenant, "Hearts of Humanity", etc.

She was the voice of both the wicked stepmother and the old hag (with the basket of apples) in Disney's "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs". Her cackle was priceless. Was a legendary stage actress.

After she retired from the screen she became a successful co-ower of a nightclub. Some sources have a birth year at 1872.

In memory of those who died this day November 7th:

Character actor Charles 'Chic' Sale in 1936 at age 51, memorable character actor Dwight Frye (Renfield in 'Dracula') in 1943 at age 44, composter/songwriter Gus Edwards in 1945 at age 66, Oscar winning actor Victor McLaglen in 1959 at age 72, banjo player Eddie Peabody in 1970 at age 68, popular movie star Steve McQueen in 1980 at age 50, character actor Carleton Young in 1994 at age 89, and appealing actor/singer Howard Keel in 2004 at age 85.

Also thee Butch Cassidy was blasted in 1908 at age 42, and first lady Eleanor Roosevelt in 1962 at age 78.

Mongo

Born this day November 8th:

Lead/co-star Alfre Woodard is 54.

Versatile African-American actress, Oscar nominated best support for "Cross Creek". Also in "Extremities", "Scrooged", "Grand Canyon", "Passion Fish" (Golden Globe nominee), "How to Make an American Quilt", "Primal Fear", "Down in the Delta", "Radio", "Beauty Shop", "Something New", etc.

Married since 1983 (2 children). Also a TV star, she won 4 Emmy Awards. Currently on "Desperate Housewives".

Quoted: "I'm a mom and a wife. That's what I do in the world. That's my identity. Second, I'm an actor."

Lead/co-star Alain Delon is 71.

Handsome French actor, in "Christine", "Rocco and His Brothers", "The Leopard" (Golden Globe nominee), "The Yellow Rolls-Royce", "Once a Thief", "Is Paris Burning?", "Texas Across the River" w/Dean Martin, "Spirits of the Dead", "Red Sun", "Zorro", etc.

Married 3 times (3 children). Once engaged to Romy Schneider. In his youth, he was a knockabout with a shady background. Last on screen in 2003 (has 2 films in production).

Co-star/support Patti Page is 79.

Reliable blonde actress/singer, appeared in a few films including, "Elmer Gantry" as Sister Rachel, "Dondi" based on the comic strip, "Boys' Night Out" w/Kim Novak.

Married twice (2 children). In the 1950s she was the 'Singing Rage' Miss Patti Page, selling millions of platters. Her signature song is "The Tennessee Waltz". Had her own TV series. Her recordings are heard on numerous movie soundtracks.

Recently performed on PBS in a salute to the music of the 1950s.

Co-star/support June Havoc is 90.

Appealing blonde actress, in "My Sister Eileen", "Hello, Frisco, Hello", "Brewster's Millions", "Gentleman's Agreement", "When My Baby Smiles at Me", "Chicago Deadline", "The Story of Molly X" lead role, "Follow the Sun", "Can't Stop the Music", etc.

Married 3 times (1 daughter, died in 1998). Sister of stripper Gypsy Rose Lee. She was Baby June in her earlty stage career, managed by Mama Rose. A Tony Award nominee for best director. Hosted a TV talk show. Last on TV in 1990 on the soap "General Hospital".

Co-star/support Norman Lloyd is 92 today.

Essential character actor, remembered as the spy who fell from the Statue of Liberty in Hitchcock's "Saboteur". Also in "The Sotherner" good film, "Spellbound", "The Green Years", "The Unseen", "The Flame and the Arrow", "He Ran All the Way" w/Garfield, "Limelight", "Audrey Rose", "Dead Poet's Society" coming to TCM, "In Her Shoes", etc.

Is married 70 years (2 children). On the hit TV series "St. Elsewhere". A prominent TV producer and director. He had a close association with Alfred Hitchcock. Is still active and attending Nostalgia events.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Darla Hood (47) 1931-1979.

Adorable former child star, the sweetheart of 50 "Our Gang" comedy shorts. She was usually 'in love' with Waldo and pursued by Alfalfa.

In adulthood she co-starred with Vincent Price in "The Bat".

She married in 1957. Also did voiceover work on various projects.

Sadly, she died under rather mysterious circumstances at a North Hollywood hospital of acute hepatitis in 1979 following a relatively minor operation.

Co-star/support Joe Flynn (49) 1924-1974.

Comedic, irascible character actor, in "The Seven Little Foys", "This Happy Feeling", "Cry for Happy", "Lover Come Back", "Divorce American Style", "The Love Bug", "The Million Dollar Duck", "Superdad", etc.

On the TV series "McHale's Navy" as the flustered Captain.

Having suffered a heart attack, he was found lying at the bottom of his swimming pool, weighted down by a cast from his broken leg. Sounds like a case for Columbo.

Co-star/support Esther Rolle (78) 1920-1998.

Spirited African-American actress, in "Cleopatra Jones", "Don't Play Us Cheap", "The Mighty Quinn", "Driving Miss Daisy" good role as Idella, "House of Cards", "Rosewood" good role, "Down in the Delta", etc.

She was divorced after 5 years of marriage (no children). She played the character of Florida on the TV series "Maude", and on her hit show "Good Times" (Golden Globe nominee best actress). Won an Emmy Award for a TV movie.

Birthday wishes go out to TCM boardmember Spencer today.

In memory of those who died this day November 8th:

Columnist/panelist Dorothy Kilgallen under mysterious circumstances in 1965 at age 52, reliable actor Wendell Corey in 1968 at age 54, and comedic actor Dave O'Bien in 1969 at age 57.

Also my favorite artist Norman Rockwell in 1978 at age 84.

Mongo

Hi Mongo,

Just a small update for you:

Alfre Woodard is no longer on "Desperate Housewives". She was arrested on last season's final show for murdering her son.

She had kept the **** one locked in the basement, but found out her 'normal' son had killied the girl whom the **** one was accused of killing. So she released the **** one and shot the other!!!!!!.

Yes, I do watch "Desperate Housewives"!!!!! Yes, it's God awful and high/low melodrama or just plain bad soap, but it's fun and I love it.......

What can I say - - my tastes do decend to the sewer sometimes!!!!!

Larry

> Yes, I do watch "Desperate Housewives"!!!!! Yes,

> it's God awful and high/low melodrama or just plain

> bad soap, but it's fun and I love it.......

> What can I say - - my tastes do decend to the sewer

> sometimes!!!!!

Don't feel bad, it's one of my guilty pleasures too. I think it's a hoot! I haven't caught much of this season though. So Alfre Woodard is off for good? I enjoyed her character.

Hi,

Pintorini -

I'm sorry, I don't mean to disillusion you. I'll do massive penance - several Hail Mary's to atone.....

Brad -

You must watch again. You missed a very good and shocking episode last Sunday. Laurie Metcalf went nuts and shot up a grocery store. Spectacular!!!

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

Larry, you and millions of others tune into "Desperate Housewives". It's a big hit.

I happened to see about 10 minutes of the episode when Laurie Metcalf (good actress) took the shoppers in the supermarket hostage. After she got shot in the head, I was outta there.

Jack, thanks for the addition on Darla Hood.

Mongo,

I hate to take up any more of your Birthday thread with this but:-

It seems that every good actress that appears on the show gets killed off or sent up the river.

Alfre Woodard goes to jail.

Harriet Samson Harris is gone somewhere, who knows where and if she's coming back.

Laurie Metcalf is assassinated - justifiably but still gonzo.

Kerstin Warren is shot by Laurie Metcalf.

We are left with bad to mediocre actresses but campy scripts so I guess it doesn't matter if anyone can act.

Oh well, I do love it and although I do hang my head in shame, I do watch it faithfully!!!!

There's no hope for me, I know...

Larry

> In memory of those who died this day November

> 8th:

> Columnist/panelist Dorothy Kilgallen under

> mysterious circumstances in 1965 at age 52

Mongo, correct me if I'm wrong was Dorothy Kilgallen ( Of What's My Line? & Infatuated with singer Johnny Ray) supposedly murdered because she had "something" revealing regarding the President John Kennedy assassination on November 22, 1963? There is so much mystery connected with that assassination, even I said when I heard about it that Friday in November.."Where was Lyndon Johnson when it happened?"

Aftermath, regarding Dorothy Kilgallen, I transferred a story about her mysterious death over to the Ask Mongo thread on the Information, Please! forum, which I find interesting.

As far as Lyndon Johnson goes, I believe it is common knowledgment that the President and Vice President are not to travel together in the event a tragedy should occur. He was most likely on business elsewhere in the country.

> Aftermath, regarding Dorothy Kilgallen, I

> transferred a story about her mysterious death over

> to the Ask Mongo thread on the Information, Please!

> forum, which I find interesting.

>

> As far as Lyndon Johnson goes, I believe it is

> common knowledgment that the President and Vice

> President are not to travel together in the event a

> tragedy should occur. He was most likely on business

> elsewhere in the country.

Johnson was the same " parade " as Kennedy, a car or two back. Johnson, Nixon, J. Edgar Hoover all knew what was coming.

Just a quick note on the present subject, I think the movie JFK was a lot more truthful and believable than the Warren Report. A lot of our troubles started on that day in November 1963, look at the personalities involved.

Secondly, if Desparate Housewives is the idea the rest of the world thinks our major population is comprised of, no wonder most foreign countries think we're a laughing stock. I, for one will give a large party to celebrate the day that show is cancelled. I'm sorry folks but I worked too hard, alone, to raise 4 upstanding respectful, normal kids to even give a giggle at those sick, idiotic morons and their portrayal of suburbia. It's funny how everyone talks about the edification, and superior intelligence we can gain from foreign films, yet the likes of Desparate Housewives, and Police Academy are our contributions to the world. Don't get me wrong, go ahead and enjoy your guilty pleasures just like I do my country music, whatever knocks off your socks. ;-)

Anne

If you haven't seen "Executive Action (1973)" with Burt Lancaster, Will Greer and Robert Ryan. Plot Outline: A wealthy group of power-brokers employ mercenaries to assassinate JFK. Good Film/watch it. It is food for thought.

vallo