Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! II

Mongo, what a great job you've done! I just found this thread and noticed that someone in March wanted to find out who shared a birthday with them. I would like to do that, as well (mine is in Feb). I went all the way back to the end of the thread and it says 1st post is on 06/16/2006. This thread is listed as Happy Birthday II. I tried searching for Happy Birthday I, but came up empty. Can you tell me how to find it?

Born this day December 28th:

Lead/co-star Denzel Washington is 52.

Talented, charismatic actor, won Oscar best support for "Glory", and best actor for "Training Day". Nominated best actor for Malcolm X", "The Hurricane", and best support for "Cry Freedom".

Married since 1983 (4 children).

Co-star/support Billy Chapin is 63.

Former child actor, remembered as the lad pursued by Mitchum in "Night of the Hunter". Also in "Affair with a Stranger", "The Kid from Left Field", "Tension at Table Rock", etc.

Brother of Lauren Chapin.

Lead/co-star Maggie Smith is 72.

Exceptional British actress, won Oscar best actress for "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie", and for best support in "California Suite". Oscar nominated best actress for "Travels with My Aunt", and for best support in "Othello", "A Room with a View", and "Gosford Park".

Married twice (2 children).

Co-star/support Martin Milner is 75.

Reliable actor (red hair & freckles), in "Life with Father", "Our Very Own", "Mister Roberts", "Pete Kelly's Blues", "Sweet Smell of Success" good role, "Compulsion", etc.

Married since 1957 (4 children) On the TV series "Adam-12".

Lead/co-star Beverly Michaels is 78.

Brassy blonde actress, appeared in 'potboilers' of the 1950s. In "Pickup", "The Girl on the Bridge", "Wicked Woman" a hoot, "Betrayed Women", "Crashout", "Blonde Bait", "Women Without Men", etc.

Has long been retired.

Co-star/support Lou Jacobi is 93 today.

Comedic, jowly character actor, in "The Diary of Anne Frank" as Shelley Winters' selfish husband (also on Broadway), "Irma La Douce", "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex*But Were Afraid to Ask" hilarious role, "Next Stop, Greenwich Village", "My Favorite Year", "Avalon" in which he screams "Ya cut the toikey!", etc.

Last on screen in 1994.

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Hildegard Knef (76) 1925-2002.

Striking, talented German actress/singer, in "Decision Before Dawn", "Diplomatic Courier", "The Snows of Kilimanjaro", "Svengali" as Trilby, "Subway in the Sky" w/Van Johnson, "Lulu", Fedora", etc.

Married 3 times (1 daughter). Was a good friend of Marlene Dietrich.

Co-star/support Andrew Duggan (64) 1923-1988.

Tall, dependable character actor, in "The Bravados", "The Chapman Report", "Seven Days in May", "In Like Flint", "Skin Game", "It's Alive" a chiller, "Doctor Detroit", etc.

Appeared and guested on various TV series.

Lead/co-star Peter Finch (60) 1916-1977.

Talented, good-looking actor, won Oscar best actor for "Network" (posthumously). Nominated best actor for "Sunday Bloody Sunday". Also in "Elephant Walk", "A Town Like Alice" superior drama, "Windom's Way", "The Nun's Story", "The Pumpkin Eater" w/Anne Bancroft, "The Legend of Lylah Clare" w/Kim Novak, etc.

Married 3 times (4 children).

Lead/co-star Lew Ayres (88) 1908-1996.

Smooth, handsome actor, Oscar nominated best actor for "Johnny Belinda". Also in "All Quiet on the Western Front" good role, "Heaven on Earth", "State Fair", "The Kiss" w/Garbo, "Holiday", "Maisie Was a Lady", "The Dark Mirror", "The Unfaithful", "Donovan's Brain", etc.

Starred as Dr. Kildare in 9 films at MGM.

Married 3 times including to Ginger Rogers and Lola Lane. Was a conscientous objector.

Co-star/support Charles Dingle (68) 1887-1956.

Reliable, portly character actor, remembered as Bette Davis' greedy brother Ben in "The Little Foxes" (also in the stage play). In "Johnny Eager", "George Washington Slept Here", "Lady of Burlesque" w/Stanwyck, "The Beast with Five Fingers", "State of the Union", etc.

Married to dancer Dorothy White (2 children).

In memory of those who died this day December 28th:

Grand composer Max Steiner in 1971 at age 83, delightful character actress Charlotte Greenwood in 1977 at age 87, essential supporting actor Sam Levene in 1980 at age 75, dependable director Allan Dwan in 1981 at age 96, superior charactor actor William Demarest in 1983 at age 91, action writer/director Sam Peckinpah in 1984 at age 59, handsome actor Clayton Moore ('The Lone Ranger') in 1999 at age 85, reliable character actress Helen Kleeb in 2003 at age 96, and versatile actor Jerry Orbach in 2004 at age 69.

Mongo

Born this day December 29th:

Lead/co-star Jude Law is 34.

Versatile, good-looking actor, Oscar nominated best support for "The Talented Mr. Ripley", and for best actor in "Cold Mountain". Also in "Wilde", 'Artificial Intelligence: AI" as Gigolo Joe, "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil", "Enemy at the Gates", "Gattaca", "Road to Perdition", "Alfie", "Closer", "The Aviator" as Errol Flynn, "All the Kings Men", etc.

Divorced from actress Sadie Frost (3 children). Was engaged to Sienna Miller. He is a vegetarian, and also a romeo.

Co-star/support Patricia Clarkson is 47.

Talented blonde actress, Oscar nominated best support for "Pieces of April". In "The Untouchables", "Everybody's All-American", "Jumanji", "High Art", "The Green Mile" as the warden's wife, "The Pledge", "Wendigo", "The Safety of Objects", "Far from Heaven" (won New York Film Critics Award), "The Station Agent", "Dogville", "Good Night, and Good Luck", "All the Kings Men", etc.

Won 2 Emmy Awards for her guest appearances on HBOs "Six Feet Under". Is reported to be playing the life of zany Phillis Diller. Her idol is Ingrid Bergman.

Lead/co-star Ted Danson is 59.

Reliable, imposing actor, in "The Onion Field", "Body Heat", "Creepshow", "Just between Friends", "Three Men and a Baby", "Cousins", "Made in America", "Pontiac Moon", "Saving Private Ryan", "The Moguls", "Bye Bye Benjamin", etc.

Married 3 times including to Mary Steenburgen. Father of 2 children. Kept company with Whoppi Goldberg. He received 11 Emmy Award nominations as Sam Malone on TVs "Cheers" (won 2). Also on the TV series "Becker". He likes to tap dance.

Lead/co-star Jon Voight is 68.

Talented, blue-eyes blond actor, won Oscar best actor for his strong performance in "Coming Home". Nominated best actor for "Midnight Cowboy" (won Golden Globe Award), "Runaway Train" (won Golden Globe Award), and for best support in "Ali". Also in "Catch-22", "The All-American Boy", "The Odessa File", "Conrack", "Deliverance" (Golden Globe nominee), "The Champ" (Golden Globe nominee), "Heat", "Rosewood", "Anaconda", "The Rainmaker" (Golden Globe nominee), "Enemy of the State", "Holes", "The Manchurian Candidate", "Glory Road", etc.

Married twice (2 children including Angelina Jolie whose estranged from her dad).

Lead/co-star Barbara Steele is 69.

Exotic-looking beauty, remembered in a dual role in the grand horror film "Black Sunday". Also in "Sapphire", "Pit and the Pendulum", "The Horrible Dr. Hitchcock", "8 1/2", "Castle of Blood", "The Crimson Cult", "Caged Heat", "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden", "Pretty Baby", "Paranha", etc.

Divorced (1 son). An Emmy Award nominee. Last on screen in 1999.

Lead/co-star Mary Tyler Moore is 70.

Popular brunette from Brooklyn, Oscar nominated best actress for "Ordinary People" (won Golden Globe Award). Also in "Thoroughly Modern Millie", "Change of Habit" w/Elvis, "Six Weeks", "Just Between Friends" a hoot, "Flirting with Disaster", "Labor Pains", "Cheats", etc.

Married 3 times (1 son, died in 1980). A prominent TV star of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" (won 2 Emmys), and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" (won 3 Emmys). She is a longtime diabetic, and a strong animal activist.

Co-star/support Inga Swenson is 74 today.

Reliable blonde actress, in "The Miracle Worker" as Helen Keller's mom, "Advise and Consent", "Lipstick", "The Betsy", "The Mountain Men", etc.

Married since 1953 (2 sons, of which was one was killed in a motorcycle accident at age 26 in 1987). Emmy nominated for her role on TVs "Benson". A lyric soprano, she is now retired.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Ed Flanders (60) 1934-1995.

Strong character actor, in "The Grasshopper", "The Trial of the Catonsville Nine", "MacArthur", "True Confessions", "The Pursuit of D.B. Cooper", "The Exorcist III", "Bye, Bye Love", etc.

Married twice including to Ellen Geer. Won Emmy Award for his role on the TV series "St. Elsewhere" as Dr. Westphall. Won a Tony Award. Suffering depression, he died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Co-star/support Viveca Lindfors (74) 1920-1995.

Lovely Swedish actress, in "The Adventures of Don Juan" w/Flynn, "Night Unto Night", "Dark City", "Run for Cover" w/Cagney, "Moonfleet", "I Accuse!", "The Story of Ruth", "King of Kings", "No Exit", "The Damned", "Brainstorm", "The Way We Were", "A Wedding", "The Hand", "Creepshow", "Stargate", etc.

Married 4 times including to director Don Siegel (parents of actor Kristoffer Tabori). Won Emmy Award for guesting on TVs "Life Goes On".

Co-star/support Claire Dodd (64) 1908-1973.

Cool blonde actress, usually the 'other woman' in pre-codes "Girls About Town" w/Kay Francis, "Under Eighteen" w/Anita Page, "Two Kinds of Woman" w/Miriam Hopkins, "Parachute Jumper" w/Bette Davis, "Hard to Handle" w/Cagney, "Footlight Parade", "Don't Bet on Blondes" w/Flynn, also in "The Black Cat", "In the Navy" w/Abbott & Costello, etc.

Married twice (5 children). Last on screen in 1942.

In memory of those who died this day December 29:

Oscar nominated producer Sol C. Siegel in 1982 at age 79, blonde stage/screen/TV actress Vivienne Segal in 1992 at age 95, lovely supporting actress Lita Grey (a wife of Charles Chaplin) in 1995 at age 87, dependable actor Don Taylor in 1998 at age 78, and comedic actor Earl Hindman in 2003 at age 61.

Mongo

Addition.

Born this day December 29th.

Posthumous

Director George Marshall (83) 1891-1975.

Prolific, unsung filmmaker, gave us "Pack Up Your Troubles" w/Laurel & Hardy, "The Goldwyn Follies", "You Can't Cheat an Honest Man" w/W.C. Fields, "Destry Rides Again" rip-roarin' western with Stewart & Dietrich, "The Ghost Breakers" w/Hope & Goddard, "Pot o' Gold" w/Stewart & Goddard, "Texas" w/Holden & Ford, "Murder, He Says" hilarious comedy w/MacMurray, "Incendiary Blonde" w/Betty Hutton, "The Blue Dahlia" w/Ladd & Lake, "Fancy Pants" w/Hope & Ball, "Houdini" w/Tony Curtis, "The Mating Game" w/Thelma Ritter, "It Started with a Kiss" w/Ford & Reynolds, etc.

Was married with 2 children. Also directed many silent films, and episodes of hit TV series.

Was given special recognition from the Academy Awards 2 weeks prior to his death. Deservedly has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Mongo

Born this day December 30th:

Lead/co-star Tracey Ullman is 46.

Talented, vesatile actress, in "Plenty", "Jumpin' Jack Flash", "I Love You to Death", "Robin Hood: Men in Tights", "Bullets Over Broadway", "Small Time Crooks" (Golden Globe nominee), "Panic", "A Dirty Shame", etc.

Married since 1983 (2 children Mabel & John). She won numerous awards for her TV series "Tracey Takes On".

Lead/co-star Fred Ward is 64.

Gruff, virile actor, in "Escape from Alcatraz", "Carney", "Southern Comfort", "The Right Stuff", "Silkwood", "Uncommon Valor", "Swing Shift", "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins..." good fun, "Big Business" w/Bette Midler, "Tremors", "Henry and June" rated NC-17, "The Player", "Short Cuts", "Road Trip", "Joe Dirt", "Enough", "Sweet Home Alabama", "Funky Monkey", etc.

Married twice (1 son Django). Fittingly, he was once a lumberjack in Alaska, and a boxer.

Lead/co-star Joseph Bologna is 72.

Dependable actor, in "Made for Each Other", "Chapter Two", "My Favorite Year", "Blame It on Rio", "Jersey Girl", "Cops and Robbers", "The Big Bus", "It Had to Be You", "Big Daddy", "Squint", etc.

Married since 1965 to Renee Taylor (1 son). Also a screenwriter, teamed with his wife, were nominated for an Oscar.

Lead/co-star Russ Tamblyn is 72 today.

Exuberant, boyish actor/dancer, Oscar nominated best support as Norman Page in "Peyton Place". Also in "Samson and Delilah", "The Vicious Years", "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" as Gideon, "Hit the Deck", "The Last Hunt", "Don't Go Near the Water", "High School Confidential", "tom thumb", "Cimarron", "West Side Story" as Riff, "How the West Was Won", "The Haunting", "Cabin Boy", "Ghost Dog", etc.

Married 3 times including to lovely Venetia Stevenson. Father of 3 children including Amber Tamblyn. Also on TV. Last on screen in 2000.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Barbara Nichols (46) 1929-1976.

Talented, brassy blonde actress, in "Miracle in the Rain", "The King and Four Queens" w/Gable, "Sweet Smell of Success" exceptional performance, "The Pajama Game" superior musical, "Pal Joey", "Ten North Frederick" w/Gary Cooper, "The Naked and the Dead", "Where the Boys Are", "Dear Heart", "The Loved One", "The Swinger", etc.

A bachelorette, the girl from Queens NY, was a sweetheart and a hoot. Will be featured 'In the Spotlight' soon.

Lead/co-star Jack Lord (77) 1920-1998.

Reliable, appealing actor, in "Cry Murder", "The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell", "Tip on a Dead Jockey", "God's Little Acre", "Man of the West" w/Gary Cooper, "Walk Like a Dragon", "Dr. No", "The Counterfeit Killer", etc.

Married twice (his 1 son died at age 13). Remembered as Steve McGarrett on the hit TV series "Hawaii Five-0", and also on "Stoney Burke". He was born John Joseph Patrick Ryan. Irish?

Co-star/support Jo Van Fleet (81) 1914-1996.

Superior character actress, won Oscar best support as James Dean's 'bawdy' mother in "East of Eden". Also in "The Rose Tattoo" screaming 'Sour grapes!', "I'll Cry Tomorrow" as Hayward's stage mother, "The King and Four Queens" w/Gable, "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral", "Wild River" outstanding role, "Cool Hand Luke" fine cameo as Arletta, "80 Steps to Jonah", "The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight" as Big Momma, "Seize the Day", etc.

Married 44 years (1 son). A grand stage actress, she won a Tony Award. Has a star on the Hollywood walk of Fame.

Co-star/support Nancy Coleman (87) 1912-2000.

Reliable actress, remembered as the daughter of the evil Dr. Gordon in "Kings Row". Also in "Dangerously They Live" w/Garfield, "The Gay Sisters" w/Stanwyck, "Desperate Journey", "Edge of Darkness", "Devotion", "In Our Time", "Mourning Becomes Electra", "Slaves", etc.

Was married (twin girls). Also appeared on TV soaps.

Co-star/support Rosina Lawrence (84) 1912-1997.

Appealing, pretty starlet, in "Reckless", "Music is Magic", "Charlie Chan's Secret", "The Great Ziegfeld", "Way Out West" w/Laurel & Hardy, "Nobody's Baby", "Pick a Star", etc.

Also appeared in a few "Our Gang" comedy shorts as a school teacher (not Mrs. Crabtree).

Married twice (1 son). Also a dancer.

Co-star/support Jeanette Nolan (86) 1911-1998.

Essential character actress, in "Words and Music", "Saddle Tramp", "Kim", "The Secret of Convict Lake" w/Gene Tierney, "The Big Heat" good role, "Tribute to a Bad Man", "April Love", "Two Rode Together", "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", "Twilight of Honor", "The Deep Six", "The Manitou", "The Horse Whisperer", etc.

Married to acor John McIntire 50 years (parents of the late Tim McIntire). Was a hoot as TVs "Dirty Sally", for which she was Emmy nominated.

In memory of those who died this day December 30th:

Essential character actor Hobart Bosworth in 1943 at age 76, reliable character actress Dorothy Comingore in 1971 at age 58, prolific songwriter Richard Rodgers in 1979 at age 77, handsome movie actor Lew Ayres in 1996 at age 88, delightful dwarf host ("Call for Philip Morris") Johnny Roventini in 1998 at age 88, lovely actress Mary Brian in 2002 at age 96, dependable British actress Patricia Roc in 2003 at age 88, reliable actor Johnny Sands in 2003 at age 76, and top-notch clarinetist/bandleader Artie Shaw in 2004 at age 94.

Mongo

Well, with one more day to go, let me offer a big thank you and a tip of the 'ol fedora to mongo for this thread.

I've only been around here for just over a year, but it was a thread I always looked for and enjoyed.

It couldn't have been easy- all the research that was needed, let alone the time needed to post every single day, without fail.

Don't think I could have kept it up myself.

Thanks for a great thread mongo - it will be missed.

George Marshall also directed " The Gazebo " starring Glenn Ford and Debbie Reynolds, but his best comedy was " Murder, He Says " with Fred MacMurray and the undervalued Helen Walker. Porter Hall, Marjorie Main, and Peter Whitney, as murderous twins . It is a hoot !

Let me second that, Mongo. Thank you for this thread and it will be missed. Hope you stay around the board. Will you still do In The Spotlight?

For some reason, it's hard for me to believe Tracy Ullman is only 46. It seemed to me she's been around longer.

Never heard of his show Stoney Burke. Can we assume this is where our friend Stoneyburke got her screen name?

Thanks very much, Brian. I appreciate it. I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

My last birthday listing will be on Monday January 1st. New Years Day.

Top o' the morning to ya.

Ken, I too find the movie "Murder, He Says" hilarious, and the cast supreme. I agree with you about the lovely Helen Walker, who I also liked in "Nightmare Alley".

Mongo were would I find your post announcing your retirement from the Happy Birthday forum I hunted and I can't find it. Just tell me the day and I'll find it. Thank You so much for your work on the Birthday forum I loved it. Plus you did and do a fantastic job! Give yourself a pat on the back. Like someone else posted I don't think anyone could have given such loving details as you a lesser person would have not been able to keep up the work. I also need to give out thank yous to you and Larry and vallo for the birthday wishes...bless your hearts I am so sorry I havent't acknowledged them sooner. I am ashamed to admit I didn't even know they were there till I was searching for what I mentioned above. Many thanks again for remembering me. Like I said before I pay the internet and frankly I have to make an appointment to get on....seriously the kids discovered Conquer and then they IM- boy they are computer literate and I am a dunce. Today the oldest went to his friend's house and the youngest has company and is playing video games so here I am. YIPPPY! I will miss the forum but so glad you will be sticking around I have some ?s for you in the Ask Mongo forum be seeing you...

gwtwbooklover, I've hinted at leaving the birthday thread in the past months, and asking if someone would like to continue it.

The official announcement was posted on December 21st.

Thanks for your continued support.

I know what you mean about the kids (we raised two girls), and our grandson is into oodles of video games. Bless them.

Born this day December 31st. New Years Eve:

Lead/co-star Val Kilmer is 47.

Talented, virile actor, in "Top Gun", "Willow", "Kill Me Again", "The Doors" as Jim Morrison, "Thunderheart", "Tombstone", "Batman Forever", "Heat", "The Ghost and the Darkness", "The Saint", "Joe the King", "****", "Wonderland" as porno star John Holmes, "Alexander", "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" good role, "Summer Love", etc.

Divorced from Joanne Whalley (2 children). Dated Cindy Crawford, and once wrote poetry for Michelle Pfeiffer. A stickler for perfection, he could be difficult.

Co-star/support Barbara Carrera is 55.

Olive-skinned beauty, in "The Master Gunfighter", "Embryo" good sci-fi, The Island of Dr. Moreau", "When Time Ran Out", "I, the Jury", "Never Say Never Again" (Golden Globe nominee), "Lover Boy", "Wicked Stepmother" w/Bette Davis, "Trust", "Panic", etc.

Married 3 times. A former model, she also paints celebrity portraits. Last on screen in 2003.

Lead/co-star Joe Dellesandro is 58.

Good-looking, amateurish actor, in films of Andy Warhol, including "Flesh", "Trash", "Heat", "Frankenstein", "Dracula", etc. Also in "The Cotton Club", "Sunset", "Cry-Baby" w/Johnny Depp, "The Limey", etc.

Father of a son Mike. Has said, if he didn't get involved in the weird world of Warhol, that he would have ended up in prison. Last on screen in 2002.

Lead/co-star Tim Matheson is 59.

Reliable, appealing actor, in "Divorce American Style", "Yours, Mine and Ours", "Magnum Force", "Animal House" as Otter, "1941", "To Be or Not to Be", "Up the Creek", "Fletch", "She's All That", "Don't Come Knocking", etc.

Married twice (3 children). Emmy Award nominee for TVs "The West Wing". Was the voice of TV cartoon character Jonny Quest.

Lead/co-star Ben Kingsley is 63.

Prodigiously talented British actor, won Oscar best actor for his role as "Gandhi". Nominated best actor for "The House of Sand and Fog", and for best support in "Bugsy" and "Sexy Beast". Also in "Testimony", "Dave", "Schindler's List" good role, "Death and the Maiden", "Species", "The Confession", "Rules of Engagement", "Oliver Twist" as Fagin, etc.

Married 3 times (4 children). A grand stage actor.

Lead/co-star Sarah Miles is 65.

Striking British actress, Oscar nominated best actress for "Ryan's Daughter". Also in "The Servent", "The Ceremony", "Blowup", "Lady Caroline Lamb", "The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing", "The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea" (Golden Globe nominee best actress), "Venom", "Hope and Glory", "The Accidental Detective", etc.

Married twice to writer Robert Bolt. Had a relationship with actor James Fox. Has performed on stage.

Co-star/support Tim Considine is 66.

Former child actor, in "The Clown", "Executive Suite", "Her Twelve Men", "The Private War of Major Benson", "The Shaggy Dog", "Sunrise at Campobello", "Patton" as the soldier who is slapped by the General, "The Daring Dobermans", etc.

Married twice (1 child). On the Disney TV series "Spin and Marty", and "My Three Sons". Is now a sports photographer and auto-racing expert.

Lead/co-star Anthony Hopkins is 69 today.

Brilliant actor, won Oscar best actor for "The Silence of the Lambs". Oscar nominated best actor for "The Remains of the Day" outstanding role, "Nixon", and for best support in "Amistad". Also in "The Lion in Winter", "Hamlet", "Audrey Rose", "A Bridge Too Far", "Magic" (Golden Globe nominee), "The Elephant Man", "The Bounty" as Bligh, "84 Charing Cross Road" w/Anne Bancroft, "Howard's End", "Dracula", "Legends of the Fall", "The Edge" about the big bear, "Meet Joe Black", "Red Dragon", "Alexander", "Bobby", "All the King's Men", etc.

Married 3 times (1 daughter). A prominent stage actor. He managed to conquor an alcohol problem.

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Rex Allen (78) 1920-1999.

Lanky, velvet-voiced singing cowboy actor, in over 20 westerns with his horse Koko. He was often paired with Slim Pickins. Also narrated numerous Walt Disney nature shorts.

Married 3 times (5 children). Was billed as 'The Arizona Cowboy'. Sang in vaudeville and on the radio.

Sadly, He had a heart attack and fell down behind his caretaker's car, which was parked in the driveway of his home, and which ran over him later. Apparently the car actually killed him.

Co-star/support Rhys Williams (71) 1897-1969.

Essential character actor, in over 80 films. Remembered as the blind Dai Bando in "How Green Was My Valley". Also in "Mrs. Miniver", "Random Harvest", "The Corn Is Green", "The Bells of St. Mary's", "The Spiral Staircase", "The Farmer's Daughter", "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye" w/Cagney, "Carbine Williams", "Julius Caesar", "Johnny Guitar", "Battle Cry", "Raintree County", etc.

Married with 2 children. Also a stage and TV actor.

Lead/co-star Pola Negri (92) 1894-1987.

Attractive, earthy silent screen star, usually played strong women. Also in talkies, including "The Way of Lost Souls", "A Woman Commands", "Madame Bovary", "Hi Diddle Diddle", Disney's "The Moon-Spinners", etc.

Was married to a Prince and a Count.

Miss Negri was engaged to Charles Chaplin before she met and seduced Rudolph Valentino, and well before he met and married Paulette Goddard. Negri was Adolf Hitler's favorite actress. This gave birth to rumors of an affair with Hitler. She left Germany in 1938 after Nazi officials had labeled her as having part Jewish ancestry. Supposedly Rudolph Valentino's last words were, "Pola - if she does not come in time, tell her I think of her." She cried and passed out at his funeral.

In memory of those who died this day December 31st:

Dependable blonde actress Gertrude Michael in 1964 at age 53, opera singer/actor Salvatore Baccaloni in 1969 at age 69, reliable TV actor Peter Duel committed suicide in 1971 at age 31, dandy character actress Nora Marlowe in 1977 at age 62, essential director Raoul Walsh in 1980 at age 93, singer/actor Ricky Nelson killed in a plane crash in 1985 at age 45, reliable actor Lloyd Haynes in 1986 at age 52, impressive actor Woody Strode in 1994 at age 80, capable actor Wesley Addy in 1996 at age 83, silent screen star Billie Dove in 1997 at age 94, Oscar winning actress Eileen Heckart in 2001 at age 82, and lovely actress Paula Raymond in 2003 at age 79.

Mongo

Thank you very much for this thread, mongo; your daily updates will be missed! Your contributions to these boards have been immeasurable and, fortunately, your efforts here will live on (because we can still search for these birthday remembrances)!

Good Morning Mongo,

Thank you for the beautiful picture of Pola Negri.

This is the reason I enjoy the Birthday thread - I am reminded of birthdays that I have forgotten. I completely forgot it was her birthday today.......

Once again, I wish to congratulate and commend you for this top thread on the board.

It is a valuable service and you have done a first rate job on it.

Thank you.

And, have a Happy New Year and a prosperous 2007.

Larry

Mongo:

We love you and we love this wonderful thread you've given us. Thank you for all the little remembrances and the reminders of people we might have forgotten otherwise. You have been so kind in giving us the birthday thread; no one of us can ever convey our appreciation in total.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and all members of the TCM family, those on the computers, in the studio, and offices. We appreciate all you have given us, and hope to continue enjoying our little world for a long time to come. May 2007 bring us the peace and security we have not felt in many, many years.

Anne

Mongo:

I hope that you know how much I appreciate all your contributions to the boards, especially the birthday thread. Your knowledgeable and entertaining posts will be looked for even more eagerly in the future by all of us, wherever and whenever they appear. Be well, be merry, and most of all--now that you're moving on from this spot everyday--please be free, friend.

I swear, you guys are gonna make me cry. Thank you all very much, and I'm glad that you all enjoyed the thread as much as I enjoyed doing it.

I'll be back tomorrow for the final posting.

A Happy 2007 to one and all TCM boardmembers.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

And never brought to mind.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

And days of auld lang syne.

For auld lang syne, my friend,

For auld lang syne.

We'll take a cup o' kindness yet,

For auld lang syne.

Happy New Year, mongo.

CharlieT