Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! II

Hi,

I wish to add my very best wishes to Mongo Joe.....

You are the premier & supreme member of these boards and the most knowledgeable... No one would dare ignore you; they'd be stupider for it...

You have always had an admirer in me!!

Happy Birthday Joe and many, many more and stay in good health....

Also, Happy Birthday to Gerb.... Where are you?? Eat some cake and come back and tell us, 'What's Up??'......

Larry

null

Born this day October 11th:

Lead/co-star Michelle Trachtenberg is 22.

Cute and petite actress, made a splash as "Harriet the Spy". In "Melissa, "Inspector Gadget", "Can't Be Heaven", "Euro Trip", "Ice Princess", "Beautiful Ohio", etc.

Loves to play tennis. On the TV series "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" as Dawn, and the soap "All My Chldren", etc.

Lead/co-star Sean Patrick Flanery is 42.

Promising, good-looking Irish actor, made an impression in "Powder", as an albino with super knectic powers. In "Frank and Jesse", The Grass Harp", "Eden", "The Method", "Lone Hero", "Kiss the Bride", "Borderline", "Crystal River", "The Insatiable", etc.

Played "Young Indiana Jones" on TV and video.

Lead/co-star Luke Perry is 42.

Handsome, former teen idol, made a splash as Dylan on TVs "Beverly Hills 90210". In "Scorchers", "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", "8 Seconds" good role, "American Strays", "The Fifth Element", "Dirt", etc.

Divorced (2 children). On the TV series "Jeremiah", and HBOs "Oz". Also a stage actor. Once worked at a doorknob factory.

Co-star/support Joan Cusack is 45.

Quirky, delightful actress, Oscar nominated best support for "Working Girl" and "In & Out" (won New York Film Critics Award). In "Addams Family Values", "Corrina, Corrina", "Nine Months", "My Blue Heaven", "Men Don't Leave", "Arlington Road" dramatic role, "Runaway Bride", "Raising Helen", "Ice Princess", etc.

Married sine 1993 (2 sons). Sister of John Cusack. On the TV series "What About Joan".

Lead/co-star David Morse is 54.

Talented, blond-haired actor, memorable as Jerry in the underrated movie "Inside Moves". Also in "Max Dugan Returns", "Desperate Hours", "The Getaway", "The Crossing Guard" good role, "Twelve Monkeys", "The Rock", "Contact", "Crazy in Alabama", "The Green Mile" good role, "Proof of Life", "Down in the Valley", etc.

Married since 1982 (3 children including twin sons). On the TV series "St. Elsewhere", and "Hack".

Co-star/support Ron Liebman is 70 today.

Dependable actor, in "Where's Poppa?" hilarious film, "Slaughterhouse Five", "The Hot Rock", "Norma Rae" good role, "Phar Lap" good movie about a horse, "Rhinestone", "Dummy", "Auto Focus", "Garden State", etc.

Married to Jessica Walter (1 child). Former wife was Linda Lavin. Won a best actor Tony Award. On the TV series "Kaz" (Emmy Award nominee).

Posthumous

Co/star/support Nancy Guild (73) 1925-1999.

Reliable blond-haired starlet, in "Somewhere in the Night" good role, "Give My Regards to Broadway", "Black Magic", "Little Egypt", "Abbott & Costello Meet the Invisible Man", "Such Good Friends", etc.

Married 4 times including to actor Charles Russell (1 child).

Lead/co-star Linda Stirling (75) 1921-1997.

Attractive actress, dubbed "Queen of the Serials", in numerous cliffhangers including "The Tiger Woman", "Zorro's Black Whip", "The Purple Monster Strikes", "The Crimson Ghost", etc. Also in 'B' grade feature films.

Married over 40 years (2 sons).

Co-star/support Olive Deering (67) 1918-1986.

Dependable, serious actress, in "Air Hostess", "Samson and Delilah" as Miriam, "Caged" as the unfortunate June, "The Ten Commandments" as Miriam, "Shock Treatment", etc.

Was married to actor Leo Penn. Appeared on numerous 'live' TV programs.

Co-star/support Mickey Daniels (55) 1914-1970.

Former child star, appeared in 52 "Our Gang" comedy shorts. He was the curly-haired redhead with freckles and a nervous giggle. Also in feature films.

Divorced (1 daughter). Nephew of Bebe Daniels. Was working as a cab driver, when he was found dead in his motel room (cirrhosis of the liver).

Co-star/support Russell Collins (67) 1897-1965.

Essential character actor, in "Niagara", "Miss Sadie Thompson", "Bad Day at Black Rock", "Soldier of Fortune", "Raintree County", "The Enemy Below", "God's Little Acre", "Fail-Safe", etc.

Has guested on many TV shows.

Co-star/support Sig Ruman (82) 1884-1967.

Impressive, blustery, popeyed German actor, usually a comic menace. In "A Night at the Opera" was a favorite of the Marx Bros., "Maytime", "Only Angels Have Wings", "Ninotchka", "Comrade X", "To Be or Not to Be", "House of Frankenstein", "Stalag 17" as Schulz, "36 Hours" good role, "The Fortune Cookie", etc.

Has appeared on Broadway. Was also a scientist.

In memory of those who died this day October 11th:

Handsome actor Richard Cromwell in 1960 at age 50, 'Italian' member of the Marx Bros. Chico Marx in 1961 at age 74, French writer/director Jean Cocteau in 1963 at age 74, silent screen star ('The keystone Kops') Chester Conklin in 1971 at age 85, outrageous puppeteer Wayland Flowers in 1988 at age 48, Oscar nominated starlet Bonita Granville in 1988 at age 65, outrageous comic Redd Foxx in 1991 at age 68, dependable supporting actor Jeff York in 1995 at age 83, and reliable actor Richard Denning in 1998 at age 84.

Mongo ( & Bartlett )

Born his day October 12th:

Lead/co-star Kirk Cameron is 37.

Appealing actor, hit it big as Mike Seaver on the TV series "Growing Pains" (Golden Globe nominee). In "The Best of Times", "Like Father Like Son", "Listen to Me", etc.

Also successful in the "Left Behind" video series as Buck Williams.

Married to actress Chelsea Noble since 1991 (6 children of which 4 are adopted). He and Chelsea are among the founders of Camp Firefly and The Firefly Foundation, which sponsor camping trips for terminally-ill children & their families.

Lead/co-star Hugh Jackman is 39.

Versatile, good-looking actor from Australia. In "Paperback Hero", "X-Men", "Someone Like You", "Swordfish", "Kate and Leopold", "Van Helsing", "Scoop", "The Fountain", etc.

Married since 1996 (2 adopted children). Won a Tony Award for the musical "The Boy from Oz". Also won a Emmy Award. Wants to produce and star in a film based on the life of "The Incredible Hulk" actor Bill Bixby. Favorite curse word is "********".

Lead/co-star Susan Anton is 56 today.

Tall, blonde beauty, scored on the big screen in "Golden Girl" (Golden Globe nominee). In "Spring Fever", "Cannonball Run II", "Making Mr. Right", "Lena's Holiday", "New Jersey Turnpike", etc.

Married twice, currently since 1992. Had her own TV series and also appeared on "Baywatch". Last on screen in 2004.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Randy Stuart (71) 1924-1996.

Reliable actress, remembered as the wife of "The Incredible Shrinking Man" (shown on TCM). Also in "I Was a Male War Bride", "Whirlpool", "All About Eve", "Room for One More" w/Cary Grant, "Star in the Dust", etc.

Also appeared on TV.

Lead/co-star Jean Wallace (66) 1923-1990.

Gorgeous blonde actress, in "Blaze of Noon", "When My Baby Smiles at Me", "Jigsaw", "Native Son" good role, "The Big Combo", "Maracaibo", "Beach Red", "No Blade of Grass", etc.

Was married to Franchot Tone (2 sons) and to Cornel Wilde (1 son). Mr. Wilde directed her in 7 films.

She attempted suicide twice in the 1940s.

Co-star/support Arthur Space (74) 1908-1983.

Slim character actor with a mustache, in over 170 films (looks like a professor). In "Random Harvest", "Wilson", "The Big Noise" w/Laurel & Hardy, "The Clock", "Our Vines Have Tender Grapes", "The Red House" good movie, "Battle Circus", "A Summer Place", "Bedknobs and Broomsticks", "The Swarm", etc.

Was Doc Weaver on the "Lassie" TV series for 10 seasons.

Lead/co-star Josephine Hutchinson (94) 1903-1998.

Lovely red-haired actress, in "Oil for the Lamps of China", "The Story of Louis Pasteur" as Muni's wife, "The Women Men Marry", "Son of Frankenstein" as wife of the son, "Somewhere in the Night", "Cass Timberlane", "Miracle in the Rain" as Jane Wyman's mom, "North by Northwest", "Baby the Rain Must Fall", "Nevada Smith", etc.

Was married 3 times. Daughter of actress Leona Roberts, who played Dr. Meade's wife in "Gone With the Wind".

In memory of those who died this day October 12th:

Cowboy star Tom Mix killed in road accident in 1940 at age 60, comic actor Leon Errol in 1951 at age 70, stocky character actor Nat Pendleton in 1967 at age 72, lovely actress/ice skater Sonja Henie in 1969 at age 57, silent screen actress Dorothy Davenport (Mrs. Wallace Reid) in 1977 at age 82, dependable character actress Celia Lovsky in 1979 at age 82, comic Ken Murray in 1988 at age 85, grand pianist Carmen Cavallaro in 1989 at age 76, essential actress Aline MacMahon in 1991 at age 92, reliable character actor Regis Toomey in 1991 at age 93, essential character actor Leon Ames in 1993 at age 91, and singer/actor John Devner killed in a plane crash in 1997 at age 53.

Mongo ( & Bartlett )

Born this day October 13th:

Lead/co-star Kelly Preston is 45.

Attractive starlet, in "Christine" about the car, "52 Pick-Up", "Twins", "Only You", "Citizen Ruth", "Jerry Maguire", "Jack Frost", "The Cat in the Hat", "Broken Bridges", etc.

Married to John Travolta since 1991 (2 children). 1 child from prior marriage. She dated George Clooney and lived with Charlie Sheen (who hasn't?).

Co-star/support Pamela Tiffin is 65.

Pretty, pert actress, favored by Billy Wilder for the female lead in his "One, Two, Three" (Golden Globe nominee). Also in "Summer and Smoke", "State Fair", "The Lively Set", "The Pleasure Seekers", "Harper", "Viva Max!", etc.

Married twice (2 daughters, Echo and Aurora). Had a tasteful spread in Playboy in 1969. On stage and in foreign films. Last on TV in 1986.

Co-star/support Melinda Dillon is 68.

Talented actress, Oscar nominated best support for "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", and "Absence of Malice". Best remembered as the mom in "A Christmas Story". Also in "Bound for Glory" (Golden Globe nominee), "Slap Shot", "Harry and the Hendersons", "The Prince of Tides", "How to Make an American Quilt", "Magnolia", "Adam and Steve", etc.

Divorced (1 child). A Tony Award nominee.

Lead/co-star Laraine Day is 90 today.

Lovely, demure actress, in "Stella Dallas", "Foreign Correspondent", "Unholy Partners", "Journey for Margaret", "Mr. Lucky" w/Cary Grant, "The Locket", "My Dear Secretary", "Without Honor", "The High and the Mighty", "The Toy Tiger", "Three for Jamie Dawn", etc.

Married 3 times including to baseball's Leo Durocher (1 son). AKA Laraine Johnson. Has a twin brother Lamar. Her last film was "House of Dracula's Daughter" (1972).

Posthumous

Co-star/support Nipsey Russell (80) 1924-2005.

Spry, witty African-American performer, in "The Wiz" as the Tinman, "Nemo", "Wildcats", "Possee", etc.

The Poet Laureate of TV, he appeared on numerous game shows. A cast member on TVs "Car 54, Where Are You?". Was a regular on the "Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts." Also on Broadway. It is presumed that he was a bachelor.

Lead/co-star Robert Walker (32) 1918-1951.

Boyishly handsome and appealing actor, in "See Here, Private Hargrove", "Her Highness and the Bellboy", "The Sailor Takes a Wife", "The Sea of Grass", "One Touch of Venus" w/Ava, "Vengeance Valley", "Strangers on a Train" outstanding performance, "My Son John", etc.

Was married to Jennifer Jones (2 sons), who left him for producer David O. Selznick, which devastated him. He married again in 1948, although it lasted only 6 weeks. Was the original choice for the male lead in "Meet Me in St Louis". It eventually went to Tom Drake, despite protests from Judy Garland.

Sadly, he died from a adverse reaction to drugs and booze.

Lead/co-star Yves Montand (70) 1921-1991.

Tall, charismatic actor/singer, in "Let's Make Love" w/MM (which they did), "My Geisha", "Grand Prix", "Is Paris Burning?", "On a Clear Day You Can See Forever" w/Streisand, "Z", "State of Siege", "Manon of the Spring", "Jean de Flore", etc.

Was married to Simone Signoret. Dated Edith Piaf, who helped his career get started. In numerous foreign films.

In 1998, his body was exhumed for a paternity test, which proved negative.

Lead/co-star Cornel Wilde (74) 1915-1989.

Tall, dark and handsome movie star, Oscar nominated best actor as Chopin in "A Song to Remember". Also in "High Sierra", "Leave Her to Heaven", "Forever Amber", "It Had to Be You", "Road House" w/Lupino, "The Greatest Show on Earth", "The Naked Prey" good adventure, which he also directed, etc.

Was married to Jean Wallace (1 son). Has a daughter from a prior marriage. He spoke 6 languages. Died of Leukemia.

Lead/co-star Irene Rich (96) 1891-1988.

Silent screen actress, in over 100 films, a favorite of co-star Will Rogers. In "The Exalted Flapper", "On Your Back" (woo, woo), "Wicked", "The Champ" as Jackie Cooper's mom, "Strangers May Kiss", "The Mortal Storm", "Fort Apache", "Joan of Arc", etc.

Married 4 times (2 daughters, of which one was a noted Sculptor). Also a stage actress.

Co-star/support Douglass Dumbrille (80) 1889-1974.

Venerable, screen heavy, in over 200 films. In "Baby Face" w/Stanwyck, "Lady Killer", "Treasure Island", "Broadway Bill", "The Lives of a Bengal Lancer", "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town", "Virginia City", "The Big Store", "I Married an Angel", "A Medal for Benny" moving film, "The Ten Commandments", "Johnny Cool", etc.

At age 70, he married the 28 year old daughter of actor friend Alan Mowbray.

Quoted: "Age doesn't mean a blasted thing. The important thing is whether two people can be happy together. Pat and I agreed that I had some years left and we could best share them together. We don't give a continental damn what other people think." Right on!.

In memory of those who died this day October 13th:

Essential character actor Samuel S. Hinds in 1948 at age 73, dependable character actor Millard Mitchell in 1953 at age 50, outstanding actor Clifton Webb in 1966 at age 76, reliable actress Bea Benaderet in 1968 at age 62, showman Ed Sullivan in 1974 at age 73, reliable character actor Clarence Muse in 1979 at age 89, dependable actor Nils Asther in 1981 at age 84, talented stage/screen actress Beryl Reid in 1996 at age 76, brassy bonde character actress Joyce Compton in 1997 at age 90, and lovely, dependable actress Jean Peters in 2000 at age 73.

Mongo ( & Bartlett )

"Hi Bartlett2

I was just wondering did Ms. Day also play in the TV show Julia?"

Hi drdoolittle!

I don't believe so... She appeared in the Made for TV movie in 1975 called "Murder on Flight 502".

She also appeared in 1986 on a two part episode of "Murder She Wrote", with Angela Lansbury!

Bartlett

Born this day October 14th:

Lead/co-star Lori Petty is 44.

Feisty, offbeat actress, remembered as Geena Davis' kid sister in "A League of Their Own". Also in "Cadillac Man", "Free Willy", "Poetic Justice", "Tank Girl" good role, ", "MacArthur Park", "Prey for Rock and Roll", "The Karate Dog", etc.

She also designs Positive clothing via the internet and in retail stores.

Lead/co-star Cliff Richard is 67.

Capable actor and popular singer from Britian. In "Serious Charge", "Expresso Bongo" w/Laurence Harvey, "The Young Ones", "Summer Holiday", "Two a Penny", "Take Me High", etc.

Known as the Peter Pan of Pop, he ranks with Elvis with the highest amount of #1 hits in the UK (sold 250 million albums).

Lead/co-star Roger Moore is 80.

Suave, good-looking Brit, succeeded Sean Connery as Agent 007 in 7 'James Bond' films. The first was "Live and Let Die", his favorite is "The Spy Who Loved Me". In "The Last Time I Saw Paris", "Interrupted Melody", "Diane" w/Lana Turner, "The Wild Geese", "For Your Eyes Only", "Octopussy", "Curse of the Pink Panther", etc.

Married 4 times (3 children). Starred on the TV series "The Saint", "Ivanhoe", among others.

Quoted: "But if asked which of my co-stars had the biggest effect and impact on me, I say - without hesitation - Eleanor Parker."

Posthumous

Co-star/support Robert Webber (64) 1924-1989.

Rugged, veteran character actor, in "12 Angry Men" as Juror #12, "The Stripper", "The Sandpiper", "Harper", "The Dirty Dozen", "The Great White Hope", "Private Benjamin", "Nuts" w/Streisand, etc.

Married until his death from Lou Gehrig's disease. Served in the Marine Corps during WWII.

Co-star/support Pert Kelton (61) 1907-1968.

Reliable character actress, in "The Bowery", "Annie Oakley", "Cain and Mabel", "You Can't Take It with You", "The Music Man" as Shirley Jones' mom, "The Comic", etc.

Was married with 2 sons. Was the original Alice Kramden on Gleason's "The Honeymooners" in the 1950s. Also in vaudeville, and on Broadway (Tony Award nominee).

Lead/co-star Allan Jones (84) 1907-1992.

Buoyant, wavy-haired actor/singer, in "A Night at the Opera", "Rose-Marie", "Show Boat" as Gaylord Ravenal, "The Firefly", "Everybody Sing", "The Great Victor Herbert", "One Night in the Tropics" w/Abbott & Costello, "Rhythm of the Islands", "Crazy House", etc.

Married 4 times including to Irene Hervey (parents of singer Jack Jones). He is associated with the song "Donkey Serenade".

Co-star/support Benita Hume (61) 1906-1967.

Lovely, reliable British actress, in "Gambling Ship" w/Cary Grant, "Only Yesterday" w/Margaret Sullivan, "The Gay Deception", "Tarzan Escapes", "Suzy" w/Harlow, "The Last of Mrs. Cheyney" w/Crawford, etc.

Was married to Ronald Colman (1 daughter), and to George Sanders. She began in silent films. Also on Broadway.

Lead/co-star Lillian Gish (99) 1893-1993.

Luminous, passionate movie star, Oscar nominated best support for "Duel in the Sun". In silent classics "The Birth of a Nation", "Broken Blossoms", "Orphans of the Storm", "Greed", etc. In talkies "Portrait of Jennie", "The Night of the Hunter", "Unforgiven", "The Comedians" (Golden Globe nominee), "The Cobweb", "The Whales of August" in which she could hardly tolerate working with an ailing Bette Davis, etc.

She never married. Sister of Dorothy Gish. Also a grand stage actress. Received an honorary Oscar in 1971. Was honored by the American Film Institute in 1984.

John Gilbert was infatuated with her, and would mess up his "love scenes" with her in the filming of "Boheme, La" (1926) on purpose, so he could keep kissing her.

Quoted: "Those little virgins, after five minutes you got sick of playing them - to make them more interesting was hard work"

Co-star/support Clarence Muse (89) 1889-1979.

Essential African-American character actor, in over 150 films. In "Cabin in the Cotton" w/Davis, "If I Had a Million" good movie, "Flying Down to Rio", "Show Boat", "Watch on the Rhine", "Unconquered", "Riding High", "My Forbidden Past", "The Sun Shines Bright", "Porgy and Bess", "Car Wash", "The Black Stallion" he died just prior to release, etc.

Married twice (3 children). He was in support of the TV series "Amos 'n Andy" being aired on TV.

In his salad days, Muse appeared as an opera singer, a minstrel performer and a vaudeville actor. He also composed songs and wrote plays and sketches, and was considered a pioneer in the 'black theater' movement.

In memory of those who died this day October 14th:

Endearing character actor Fritz Leiber in 1949 at age 67, handsome movie star Errol Flynn in 1959 at age 50, British character actress Edith Evans in 1976 at age 88, Oscar winning actor/crooner Bing Crosby in 1977 at age 74, essential character actor Paul Fix in 1983 at age 82, dependable co-star Keenan Wynn in 1986 at age 70, ace composer Leonard Bernstein in 1990 at age 72, silent screen star Laura La Plante in 1996 at age 91, actor/director Hy Averback in 1997 at age 76, and best selling novelist Harold Robbins in 1997 at age 81.

Mongo ( & Bartlett )

Born this day October 15th:

Lead/co-star Tanya Roberts is 52.

Appealing blonde actress from the Bronx, remembered as "Sheena" on the big Screen. In "California Dreaming", "The Beastmaster", "A View to a Kill", "Body Slam", "Inner Sanctum", "Almost Pregnant", etc.

Married twice (currently since 1974). She joined the girls on TVs "Charlie's Angels" during the last season. Appears on "That '70s Show" as Midge.

Lead/co-star Penny Marshall is 65.

Talented actress/director in "The Grasshopper", "Where's Poppa?", "How Sweet It Is!", "1941", "Movers and Shakers", "The Hard Way", "Hocus Pocus", etc.

Divorced from Rob Reiner (1 daughter Tracy). Sister of Garry Marshall.On the hit TV series "Laverne and Shirley" (3 time Emmy Award nominee), and on "The Odd Couple". She scored as a director with "Big", "Awakenings", "A League of Their Own", etc.

Co-star/support Virginia Leith is 75 today.

Sultry, smoky-voiced brunette, in "Black Widow" w/Ginger Rogers, "Violent Saturday", "A Kiss Before Dying" as Joanne Woodward's sister, "Toward the Unknown", "The Brain That Wouldn't Die" as the disembodied fiancee, "First Love", "Curtains", etc.

Divorced. A former model. Last on screen in 1983.

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Jean Peters (73) 1926-2000.

Talented, dark-haired actress, in "Captain from Castile", "Anne of the Indies", "Viva Zapata!", "Niagara", "Pickup On South Street" good role, "Vicki", "Three Coins in the Fountain", "Apache", "Broken Lance", etc.

Married 3 times including to Howard Hughes, at which time she retired from the screen. Quoted: "My life with Howard Hughes was and shall remain a matter on which I will have no comment." She Died of Leukemia.

Co-star/support Nigel Green (47) 1914-1972.

Reliable British character actor, in "The Sea Shall Not Have Them", "Gorgo", "Corridors of Blood", "Jason and the Argonauts", "Zulu", "The Skull", "Khartoum", "The Kremlin Letter", "The Ruling Class", etc.

Was separated from actress Patricia Marmont at the time of his death from a barbiturate overdose.

Co-star/support Fritz Feld (93) 1900-1993.

Excitable character actor, with pencil mustache. His famous trademark, usually when his character was incensed, was to "pop" his mouth by slapping it with the palm of his hand to indicate his "superior" annoyance.

Usually played a maitre'd, waiters, hotel clerks, etc. in close to 200 films.

Married to actress Virginia Christine for over 50 years (2 children).

Co-star/support Paul Hurst (64) 1888-1953.

Essential character actor, remembered as the Yankee deserter shot dead by Scarlett on the stairway of Tara in "Gone With the Wind".

He played villains, cops, side-kicks, etc. in over 300 films including silents. He also directed.

Was married to silent screen actress Hedda Nova. He committed suicide.

Co-star/support Jane Darwell (87) 1879-1967.

Endearing character actress, won Oscar best support as Ma Joad in "The Grapes of Wrath" (her favorite role). In "Bright Eyes", "Ramona", "Craig's Wife", "Captain January", "Jesse James", "Gone With the Wind", "The Ox-Bow Incident" , "My Darling Clementine", "Caged", "The Lemon Drop Kid", "Mary Poppins" (for which Disney went to the Moion Picture County Home to coax her to play the part of the Bird Woman, which was to be her last role.

There appears to be no record of a marriage. Born Patti Woodard. Also appeared on TV programs.

Quoted: "I've played Henry Fonda's mother so often that, whenever we run into each other, I call him 'Son' and he calls me 'Ma', just to save time".

In memory of those who died this day October 15th:

'Parennial drunkard' Jack Norton in 1958 at age 76, versatile actress Clara Kimball Young in 1960 at age 70, prominent songwriter Cole Porter in 1964 at age 73, matinee idol Rod La Rocque in 1969 at age 70, and dependable actor Pat O'Brien in 1983 at age 83.

Also doomed spy Mati Hari in 1917 at age 41 (was portrayed by Garbo on the screen).

Mongo ( & Bartlett )

Good Morning Everyone,

Apparently Bartlett has been banned from the TCM Message Boards by the TCM Administrator.

Bartlett E-Mailed me this morning informing me of this situation and asked me to announce that he and, I guess, "The Birthday Thread will not be present until this conflict is resolved.

We can only hope that Bartlett will be re-instated and continue this thread and any others he may start.......

On a current note:

I know it is Angela Lansbury's 82nd birthday today.

Happy Birthday dear Angela and many, many more.....

And, to the Academy of MP Arts & Sciences:

Please give this woman an Honourary Oscar - - she deserves it!!!!!!

Larry

Born this day October 16th:

Lead/co-star Kellie Martin is 32.

Attractive actress, in "Jumpin' Jack Flash", "Body Slam", "Doin' Time on Planet earth", "Troop Beverly Hills", "Matinee", "Open House", etc.

Married since 1999 (expecting first child any minute). An Emmy nominee for TVs "Life Goes On". Also on "ER", "Christy" (title role), and currently the "Mystery Woman" series as Samantha Kinsey.

Is accomplished at both ballet and photography.

Lead/co-star Tim Robbins is 49.

Tall, incisive actor, won Oscar best support for his strong role in "Mystic River" (also won a Golden Globe Award). In "Top Gun", "Bull Durham", "Erik the Viking", "Jacob's Ladder", "The Player", "Bob Roberts", "Short Cuts", "The Shawshank Redemption" outstanding performance, "Arlington Road", "Mission to Mars", "War of the Worlds", "Catch a Fire", etc.

His partner is Susan Sarandon since 1988 (2 children). He directed her in "Dead Man Walking", for which she won a Oscar. He is a die hard New York METS fan.

Co-star/support Suzanne Somers is 61.

Breezy blonde actress, made a splash as the babe in the T-Bird in "American Graffiti". Also in "Magnum Force", "Yesterday's Hero", 'Serial Mom", etc.

Married twice, currently since 1977 (1 son and 2 step children). On the TV series "Three's Company" (Golden Globe nominee), and "Step by Step".

Lead/co-star Angela Lansbury is 82 today.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Talented, beloved actress, Oscar nominated best support for "Gaslight", "The Picture of Dorian Gray", and "The Manchurian Candidate" outstanding performance. Also in "National Velvet", "The Harvey Girls", "State of the Union", "Samson and Delilah", "Kind Lady", "The Court Jester", "The Long Hot Summer", "Blue Hawaii" w/Elvis, "All Fall Down", "In the Cool of the Day", "Dear Heart", etc.

Married to late actor Peter Shaw for 53 years (2 children). Also married briefly to actor Richard Cromwell. Daughter of actress Moyna MacGill.

A Broadway star, she won 4 Tony Awards. Nominated for 12 Emmy Awards for "Murder, She Wrote" (she never won). She did win 4 Golden Globe Awards for the role. She is one of the most generous and beloved stars amongst her peers.

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Linda Darnell (41) 1923-1965.

Beautiful dark-haired actress (one of the lovliest), in "Mark of Zorro", "Blood and Sand", "Summer Storm", "Hangover Square" good role, "Fallen Angel", "Anna and the King of Siam", "The 13th. Letter", "My Darling Clementine" good role, "Forever Amber", "Unfaithfully Yours", "A Letter to Three Wives" good role, "No Way Out" strong drama, "Blackboard the Pirate", "Second Chance" w/Mitchum, etc.

Was married 3 times (no children). Suffered from alcoholism during most of her career.

Sadly, she died in a fire of unknown source while visiting friends. While sleeping upstairs and awakened by smoke, she tried to exit through the downstairs door, but was trapped. Badly burned over 90% of her body she died the following day in the hospital. Has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Co-star/support Alice Pearce (48) 1917-1966.

Hilarious character actress, remembered as the first Gladys Kravitz on TVs "Bewitched". In "On the Town", "The Opposite Sex", "How to Be Very, Very Popular", "My Six Loves", "Tammy and the Doctor", "The Thrill of It All", "Dear Heart", "Kiss Me Stupid", "The Glass Bottom Boat", etc.

She was awarded a posthumous Emmy Award for "Bewitched", accepted by her husband, who said "She was delicious".

Co-star/support Maidie Norman (85) 1912-1998.

Dependable African-American character actress, remembered as the housekeeper bopped over the head with a hammer by Bette Davis in "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?". Also in "Susan Slept Here", "About Mrs. Leslie", "The Well" good drama, "The Opposite Sex", "Written on the Wind", "A Star Is Born" (1976), "Airport '77", "Movie Movie", etc.

She was married twice (1 son).

Lead/co-star Rex Bell (58) 1903-1962.

Handsome cowboy star in many westerns. Also in "Lone Star" and "The Misfits" w/Gable, etc.

Was married to the 'It' girl Clara Bow for over 30 years (2 sons). He was Lt. Governor of Nevada. Also appeared on TV.

Co-star/support Clem Bevens (83) 1879-1963.

Slim, 'old codger' usually in rustic roles. In "Come and Get It", "Of Human Hearts", "Dodge City", "Sergeant York" wearing his squeaky shoes in church, "Saboteur" as a Nazi spy, "The Yearling" chewing the fat around a potbelly stove in the general store (picture perfect), etc.

Also in vaudeville and on Broadway.

Co-star/support Lloyd Corrigan (69) 1900-1969.

Portly, likable character actor, in "The Ghost Breakers", "Young Tom Edison", "Men of Boys Town", "The Great Man's Lady", "The Big Clock", "Since You Went Away" as the grocer who loses his son during the war, "A Date with Judy", "The Manchurian Candidate", etc.

Also a writer and a director.

Co-star/support Sara Padden (86) 1881-1967.

Reliable character actress from England in over 150 films. In "Mata Hari", "Mad Love", "Anna Karenina", "Three Comrades", "A Woman's Face", "The Human Comedy", "This Gun for Hire", "Possessed" w/Crawford, etc.

In memory of those who died this day October 16th:

Character actor Sam Hardy in 1935 at age 52, essential character actor Leo G. Carroll in 1972 at age 79, ace drummer Gene Krupa in 1973 at age 64, 'juvenile' actor Stanley Clements in 1981 at age 55, outstanding child star Peggy Ann Garner in 1984 at age 52, handsome movie star Cornel Wilde in 1989 at age 74, supreme actress Shirley Booth in 1992 at age 94, supporting actress Audra Lindley in 1997 at age 79, best selling writer James Michener in 1997 at ge 90, handsome actor Rick Jason committed suicide in 2000 at age 77, jazz singer Etta James in 2001 at age 72, and "Our Gang" member Eugene 'Porky' Lee in 2005 at age 71.

Mongo ( & Bartlett)

"We can only hope that Bartlett will be re-instated and continue this thread and any others he may start......."

A real tragedy. Wish you could see the giant crocodile tears I'm shedding. Oh well, he'll come back as bartlett2, etc.. Actually, he's already here, a familiar name with a number added.

Still no joy in Mudville until they can keep him out. How about everyone register here with their home address and phone number?

Born this day October 17th:

Co-star/support Sam Bottoms is 52.

Former juvenile actor, in "The Last Picture Show" as the slow-witted Billy, "Class of '44", "Zandy's Bride", "The Outlaw Josey Wales", "Apocalypse Now", "Bronco Billy", "Seabiscuit", "Shopgirl", etc.

Married twice (2 children). Brother of Timothy Bottoms.

Lead/co-star Margot Kidder is 59.

Energetic brunette actress, remembered as Lois Lane in the "Superman" series of films with Christopher Reeve. In "Sisters", "A Quiet Day in Belfast" good role, "The Reincarnation of Peter Proud", "The Amityville Horror", "Willie and Phil", "Heartaches", "Maverick", "The Ocean", "Solice", etc.

Married 3 times including briefly to John Heard (1 daughter). A manic depressive, she suffered a mental breakdown from which she has since recovered, and has sustained her career.

Co-star/support Michael McKean is 60.

Talented blond-haired actor, in "Used Cars", "This Is Spinal Tap", "Clue", "Jumpin' Jack Flash", "Planes, Trains and Automobiles", "Earth Girls Are Easy", "Coneheads", "A Mighty Wind" (he was Oscar nominated for best song, and won a Grammy Award), "For Your Consideration", etc.

Married twice including to Anette O'Toole (2 children). Was Lenny on the hit TV series "Laverne and Shirley". Also on Broadway.

Lead/co-star Beverly Garland is 81.

Spunky, durable actress, in "D.O.A.", "The Desperate Hours", "Curucu, Beast of the Amazon", "Not of This Earth" good sci-fi, "Chicago Confidential", "The Joker Is Wild", "Alligator People", "Pretty Poison", "Where the Red Fern Grows", etc.

Was married to actor Richard Garland. Her second marriage lasted 39 years (2 children). On numerous TV series including "Decoy", "My Three Sons", "7th. Heaven", and the soap "Port Charles", etc. An Emmy Award nominee.

She operates the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn in Hollywood.

Lead/co-star Julie Adams is 81.

Attractive, dependable actress, remembered for her erotic swim with "The Creature from the Black Lagoon". In "Bright Victory", "Bend of the River", "The Mississippi Gambler" w/Tyrone Power, "The Looters" good film, "One Desire", "Tickle Me" w/Elvis, "McQ" w/wayne, "The Wild McCullochs", "World Trade Center", etc.

Was married to actor Ray Danton (2 sons). Appeared

Quoted: No matter what you do, you can act your heart out, but people will always say, "Oh, Julie Adams - "Creature from the Black Lagoon."

Lead/co-star Marsha Hunt is 90 today.

Pretty, slender actress, in "Pride and Prejudice", "Cheers for Miss Bishop", "Blossoms in the Dust", "Panama Hattie", "The Human Comedy", "Cry Havoc", "Valley of Decision", "Smash Up: The Story of a Woman", "Jigsaw", "Take One False Step", "The Happy Time", "No Place to Hide", "Johnny Got His Gun", etc.

Married twice (only child died in infancy). She is still out and about appearing at Celebrity Nostalgia events, and looking wonderful.

TCM is saluting the actress all day today, airing 8 films.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Tom Poston (85) 1921-2007.

Comedic actor with a vague look, in "The City That Never Sleeps", "Zotz!", "Soldier in the Rain", "Cold Turkey", "Rabbit Test", "Up the Academy", "Christmas with the Kranks", etc.

Married 3 times including to Suzanne Pleshette since 2001. Father of 4 children. Was a regular on "The Steve Allen Show" (won Emmy Award), and "The Bob Newhart Show" (Emmy Award nominee), etc.

Served in the U.S. Air Corps during WWII.

Lead/co-star Howard E. Rollins (46) 1950-1996.

Talented African-American actor, Oscar nominated best support as Coalhouse Walker Jr. in "Ragtime" (also a Golden Globe nominee). In "A Soldier's Story" fine performance, "The House of God", "On the Block", "Drunks", etc.

Appeared on the TV series "In the Heat of the Night", and the soap "Another World". The 'E' in his name stood for Ellsworth.

Battled substance abuse problems for many years before his untimely death. He was diagnosed with lymphoma in late 1996. Six weeks later, he died of complications from the disease.

Lead/co-star Montgomery Clift (45) 1920-1966.

Handsome, talented movie star, Oscar nominated best actor for "The Search", "A Place in the Sun", "From Here to Eternity", and for best support in "Judgment at Nuremberg". Also in "Red River", "The Heiress" as Morris Townsend, "I Confess", "Raintree County", "Lonelyhearts", "The Young Lions", "Suddenly, Last Summer", "Wild River", "The Misfits", etc.

In 1956, during filming of "Raintree County" (1957) he ran his Chevrolet into a tree after leaving a party at Elizabeth Taylor's; it was she who saved him from choking by pulling out two teeth lodged in his throat. His smashed face had to be reconstructed.

He was set to play in Taylor's "Reflections in a Golden Eye" (1967), when his companion Lorenzo James found him lying nude on top of his bed, dead from what the autopsy called "occlusive coronary artery disease." He is buried at a Quaker cemetery in Brookly, New York.

Lead/co-star Rita Hayworth (68) 1918-1987.

Raven-haired beauty, in "Only Angels Have Wings", "Blood and Sand", "You'll Never Get Rich", "Gilda" which elevated her to the 'Love Goddess' era, "The Lady from Shanghai", "Salome", "Miss Sadie Thompson" good role, "Fire Down Below", "My Pal Joey", "Separate Tables", "The Story on Page One", "Circus World", etc.

Married 5 times including to Orson Welles (1 daughter), Dick Haymes, and prince Aly Khan (1 daughter).

Quoted: "Men go to bed with Gilda, but wake up with me". She died of Alzheimers disease.

Co-star/support Robert Lowery (58) 1913-1971.

Reliable, good-looking actor in over 100 films including "Young Mr. Lincoln", "Drums Along the Mohawk", "Star Dust", "Four Sons", "The Mark of Zorro", "My Gal Sal", "The North Star", "The Mummy's Ghost" a guilty pleasure, "House of Horrors", "They Made me a Killer", "McLintock!", "Waco", etc.

Married 3 times including to Jean Parker (1 son). Also a singer and dancer. In the serial "Batman and Robin". On the TV series "Circus Boy".

Co-star/support John Marley (76) 1907-1984.

Veteran character actor, Oscar nominated best support for "Love Story" as Ali MacGraw's dad. Also in "Kiss of Death", "I Want to Live!", "A Child Is Waiting", "America America", "Cat Ballou", "Faces" good role, "The Godfather" as the Hollywood mogul who finds a surprise in his bed, "Dead of Night", "Tribute", etc.

Married twice (4 children).

Co-star/support Irene Ryan (70) 1902-1973.

Delightful character actress, best remembered as the hilarious Granny on the TV series "The Beverly Hillbillies" (Emmy Award nominee). In "The Diary of a Chambermaid", "Arch of Triumph", "My Dear Secretary", "Half Angel", "Blackbeard the Pirate", "Spring Reunion", "Desire in the Dust", etc.

Also co-starred with her husband Tim Ryan in a series of films. While in the Broadway play "Pippin", she suffered a stroke. Received a posthumous Tony Award nomination.

Lead/co-star Jean Arthur (90) 1900-1991.

Talented, popular leading lady with a unique voice, Oscar nominated best actress for "The More the Merrier". In "The Whole Town's Talking", "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town", "The Plainsman", "You Can't Take It with You", "Only Angels Have Wings", "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", "The Devil and Miss Jones", "The Talk of the Town", "A Foreign Affair", "Shane", etc.

Divorced from producer Frank Ross. Had her own TV series. Suffered chronic stage jitters.

On the completion of her Columbia contract in 1944, she reportedly ran through the studio's streets shouting "I'm free, I'm free!" (I bet the money was good).

Co-star/support Spring Byington (84) 1886-1971.

Bubbly, sweet character actress, Oscar nominated best support for "You Can't Take It with You". Also in "Little Women", "Werewolf of London", "Mutiny on the Bounty", "Dodsworth", "Theodora Goes Wild", "Jezebel", "The Blue Bird", "Meet John Doe", "In the Good Old Summertime", "Louisa" (Golden Globe nominee best actress), "Walk Softly, Stranger", "Because You're Mine", "Please Don't Eat the Daisies", etc.

Married (2 daughters). The star of the TV series "December Bride" (Emmy Award nominee). Long-time companion of Marjorie Main.

Her body was donated to medical research.

In memory of those who died this day October 17th:

Character actress Julia Dean in 1952 at age 74, dependable character actress Ruby Dandridge (Dorothy's mother) in 1987 at age 88, comic/singer Tennessee Ernie Ford in 1991 at age 72, Oscar winning songwriter Jay Livingston in 2001 at age 86, and lovely actress Janice Rule in 2003 at age 72.

Mongo (& Bartlett)

Born this day October 18th:

Lead/co-star Jean-Claude Van Damme is 47.

International action star, in "Blood Sport", "Double Impact", "Universal Soldier", "No Where to Hide", "Hard Target", "Last Action Hero", "Timecop", "Street Fighter", "Sudden Death", "Second in Command", etc.

Married 5 times (thus far). Father of 3 children. He amazes with his 360-degree ultimate leaping super-flying karate kick. Quoted: "I am the Fred Astaire of karate".

Co-star/support Arliss Howard is 53.

Reliable, balding actor, in "Full Metal Jacket", "Men Don't Leave", "For the Boys", "Wilder Napalm", "Johns", "The Lost World: Jurassic Park", "Amistad", "Big Bad Love", "Dandelion", "Birth", etc.

Married to Debra Winger since 1996 (1 son Babe). Has a son from a prior marriage. Also on stage. Appears on the TV series "Medium".

Posthumous

Co-star/support Peter Boyle (71) 1935-2006.

Large as life character actor, remembered as the monster in "Young Frankenstein". Also in "Joe" lead role, "The Candidate", "Slither", "Crazy Joe", "Taxi Driver", "The Brink's Job", "Hardcore" strong film, "Turk 182!", "Outland", "Johnny Dangerously", "Malcolm X", "Monster's Ball", etc.

Married since 1977 (2 daughters). He is the hilarious Frank on TVs hit series "Everybody Loves Raymond" ("holy crap!") 7 Emmy nominations and no wins. Once considered becoming a monk of the Christian order.

Lead/co-star Inger Stevens (35) 1934-1970.

Blonde Swedish beauty, in "Man on Fire" w/Crosby, "Cry Terror!, "The Buccaneer", "The World, the Flesh and the Devil", "The New Interns", "Madigan", "Firecreek", "Hang 'Em High", "A Dream of Kings", etc.

Married twice. She was the star of the TV series "The Farmer's Daughter" (Emmy Award nominee). Also on Broadway.

Following her suicide from acute barbiturate poisoning, it was revealed that Inger had been long married (from 1961) to African-American bit actor Ike Jones. The marriage, for obvious reasons, was kept under wraps to protect her career. They were estranged at the time she died.

Lead/co-star George C. Scott (71) 1927-1999.

Outstanding actor, won Oscar best actor for his role as "Patton" (he refused to accept the award). Oscar nominated best actor for "The Hospital", and for best support in "Anatomy of a Murder" and "The Hustler". Also in "The Hanging Tree", "Dr. Strangelove...", "The Flim-Flam Man", "They Might Be Giants", "Rage" good movie, "Oklahoma Crude", "The Day of the Dolphin", "Islands in the Stream", "The Formula", "Hardcore", "Taps", "Gloria", etc.

Married 5 times including to Colleen Dewhurst (parents of Campbell Scott) and to Trish Van Devere. Also a grand stage and TV actor (8 Emmy Award nominations, won twice).

Quoted: "Bette Davis is my bloody idol. I admire her more than any other film star."

Lead/co-star Klaus Kinski (65) 1926-1991.

Talented, irascible-looking actor, in "Doctor Zhivago", "For a Few Dollars More", "Jack the Ripper", "Venom" chiller about a black mamba, "The Little Drummer Girl", "Buddy Buddy" w/Jack Lemmon, "Creature", etc.

Married 4 times (3 children including Natassia Kinski). Only his son Nikolai Kinski attended his funeral in California, where his ashes were strewn in the Pacific Ocean.

Lead/co-star Melina Mercouri (73) 1920-1994.

Spirited Greek actress, Oscar nominated best actress for "Never on Sunday". In "Topkapi", "Gaily, Gaily", "Once Is Not Enough", "A Dream of Passion", "Phaedra", "The Victors", etc.

Was married to director Jues Dassin. Was a close friend of Anthony Perkins.

Co-star/support Victor Sen Yung (65) 1915-1980.

Dependable Asian actor, remembered as the #2 son Jimmy in the "Charlie Chan" films. Also in "The Good Earth", "The Letter" memorable as the go-between for the important document, "Moontide", "Across the Pacific", "Red Light" w/Raft, "The Left Hand of God", "Blood Alley", "She Demons", "The Hunters", "Flower Drum Song", "The Killer Elite", etc.

He played Hop Sing on TVs "Bonanza".

Lead/co-star Miriam Hopkins (69) 1902-1972.

Facinating blonde movie star, Oscar nominated best actress for "Becky Sharp". Also in "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde", "World and the Flesh", "Trouble in Paradise", "These Three", "Splendor", "Barbary Coast", "The Old Maid", "Virginia City", "Lady with Red Hair", "Old Acquaintance", "The Heiress" (Golden Globe nominee), "The Children's Hour", "The Chase", etc.

Married 4 times including to director Anatole Litvak. Also a stage star. Was a good friend of Kay Francis.

Co-star/support Lotte Lenya (83) 1898-1981.

Reliable character actress, Oscar nominated best support for "The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone" w/Viven Leigh. Also in "From Russia with Love" as Rosa Klebb, "The Appointment", "Semi-Tough", etc.

Married 5 times. She is a Tony Award winning stage actress, and nominated for the musical "Cabaret".

In the Bobby Darin version of the song "Mack the Knife" (written by Lotte Lenya's husband Kurt Weill) he mentions her by name.

In memory of those who died this day October 18th:

Top-notch character actor Henry Travers in 1965 at age 91, appealing pre-code actor Lee Tracy in 1970 at age 68, tough-guy actor Al Lettieri (Sollozzo in "The Godfather) in 1975 at age 47, and screen/stage star Gwen Verdon in 2000 at age 75.

Mongo (& Bartlett)

Born this day October 20th:

Lead/co-star Viggo Mortensen is 49.

Talented, intense actor, in "Witness", "Fresh Horses", "Young Guns II", "Carlito's Way", "Crimson Tide", "The Prophecy", "Daylight", "G.I. Jane", "A Perfect Murder", "Psycho" remake, "The Lord of the Rings" series as Aragorn, "A History of Violence" exceptional role, etc.

Divorced (1 son). Is a prominent photographer. Also does TV work.

Co-star/support Bill Nunn is 53.

Commanding, stocky African-American actor, in "Regarding Henry" good role, "Sister Act", "The Last Seduction", "True crime", "Kiss the Girls", "He Got Game", "Ambushed", "Lockdown", "Spider-Man", "Runaway Jury", etc.

Married with 2 daughters. Also on TV.

Co-star/support Noreen Corcoran is 64.

Former child actress, remembered as Kelly on the TV series "Bachelor Father". In "Plymouth Adventure", "The Story of Three Loves", "I Love Melvin", "Young Bess", "So This Is Love", "The Robe", "Band of Angels", "Gidget Goes to Rome", etc.

Sister of Donna Corcoran, and Disney star Kevin Corcoran. Last on the tube in 1965.

Lead/co-star Dolores Hart is 69 today.

Lovely starlet, in "Loving You" w/Elvis, "Wild Is the Wind" w/Magnani, "King Creole" w/Elvis, "Lonelyhearts" w/Clift, "Where the Boys Are" her most popular film, "Francis of Assisi", "Come Fly with Me", etc.

Left Hollywood in 1963, and at the time she became a nun, she was engaged to marry Don Robinson. He never married and remained a close friend. She is now called Reverend Mother Dolores Hart, and is prioress of Regina Laudis (Queen of Praise) Abbey in Bethlehem, Connecticut.

Suffers from Neuropathy, a crippling disease she has had since 1997.

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Jerry Orbach (69) 1935-2004.

Dependable, appealing actor, in "Cop Hater", "Ensign Pulver", "The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Sraight", "The Sentinel", "Prince of the City" good role, "F/X", "Dirty Dancing", "Last Exit to Brooklyn" gritty drama, "Crimes and Misdemeanors", "Mr. Saturday Night", "The Cemetery Club", etc.

Married twice (2 children). Prominent stage actor, he won a Tony Award. On the TV series "Law and Order" (Emmy Award nominee). Was once a chauffeur for Mae West. He died of prostate cancer.

Co-star/support Earl Hindman (61) 1942-2003.

Capable supporting actor, remembered as Wilson on TVs "Home Improvement", in which he never fully showed his face. In "The Parallax View", "Greased Lightning", "The Brink's Job", "Taps", "Silverado", "Three Men and a Baby", "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe", etc.

Married (2 children).

Co-star/support Michael Dunn (38) 1934-1973.

Talented dwarf actor, Oscar nominated best support as Karl the Host in "Ship of Fools". Also in "You're a Big Boy Now", "Madigan", "No Way to Treat a Lady" good movie, "Boom", "Justine", "The Abdication", etc.

Was a concert pianist at age 15. A Tony Award nominee. Appeared on the TV series "Wild Wild West".

Rumors of suicide have been unfounded. He did develop an acute alcohol problem and liver cirrhosis probably hastened his early death. The general consensus is that he died of heart failure in his sleep as a result of the disease.

Lead/co-star Anton Diffring (70) 1918-1989.

Essential German actor, usually a villain, in "Betrayed", "I Am a Camera", "The Man Who Could Cheat Death" good chiller, "Circus of Horrors" eerie stuff, "The Blue Max", "Fahrenheit 451", "Where Eagles Dare", "Operation Daybreak" good role, "Victory", "Anna", etc.

He became popular playing Nazis in the postwar period, as the British film industry turned out film after film about the war, which created a great demand for actors who could convincingly play Nazis, the nastier the better.

Co-star/support Arlene Francis (93) 1907-2001.

Charming, glamorous actress, in "Murders in the Rue Morgue" w/Lugosi, "All My Sons", "One, Two, Three" w/Cagney, "The Thrill of It All" good role, "Fedora", etc.

Married twice including to Martin Gabel (1 son). A fixture on the TV panel show "What's My Line", where she sported a heart-shaped diamond necklace.

Also had a radio and stage career. Died of Alzheimers disease.

Lead/co-star Anna Neagle (81) 1904-1986.

Popular British actress, in "Limelight" (not the Chaplin movie), "Nurse Edith Cavell" good role, "Sunny", "Forver and a Day", "The Lady with the Lamp" as Florence Nightingale, "No Time for Tears", etc.

Married 33 years to producer Herbert Wilcox. Also a stage actress.

Co-star/support Rex Ingram (73) 1895-1969.

Imposing African-American actor, in "Green Pastures" as God, "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" good role as Jim, "The Thief of Bagdad" as the Genie, "The Talk of the Town", "Cabin in the Sky" as the Devil, "Moonrise", "Anna Lucasta", "Your Cheatin' Heart", "Hurry Sundown", etc.

Divorced in 1939. Also in silent films including "The Ten Commandments". Acted on the Broadway stage. He was also a qualified MD.

Lead/co-star Charley Chase (46) 1893-1940.

Great silent screen star, one of comedy's unsung heroes. In over 300 films including shorts and talkies.

A Jack-of-all-trades in filmmaking he was also a producer, director, and a writer.

His enormous volume of work has yet to be rediscovered.

Was married with 2 daughters. Unfortunately, he drank himself into an early grave.

Lead/co-star Bela Lugosi (73) 1882-1956.

Tall, aristocratic actor, best remembered as the one and only "Dracula" (1931). In "Murders in the Rue Morgue", "Island of Lost Souls", "The Black Cat", "Mark of the Vampire", "The Raven" w/Karloff, "Son of Frankenstein" as Ygor, "Ninotchka", "Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman" as the monster, "The Body Snatcher", "Black Friday", "Night Monster", "Bowery at Midnight", "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein", followed by a string of low budget flicks, etc.

Married 5 times (1 son). Also a stage actor, he was heavy into drugs. While making a movie for Ed Wood, he was quoted: "This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in".

According to Vincent Price, when he and Peter Lorre went to view Bela's body during Bela's funeral, Lorre, upon seeing Lugosi dressed in his famous Dracula cape, quipped, "Do you think we should drive a stake through his heart just in case?" It was rumored that Frank Sinatra paid for his funeral.

Co-star/support Margaret Dumont (82) 1882-1965.

Haughty, delightful character actress, the perfect foil for the zany Marx Brothers, in "Duck Soup", "A Night at athe Opera", "A Day at the Races", "At the Circus", "The Big Store", etc. Also in "The Women", "Never Give a Sucker an Even Break", "The Horn Blows at Midnight", "Auntie Mame", etc.

Groucho referred to her as the fifth Marx Brother. She was born Daisy Juliette Baker. She was bald and wore wigs for several years on and off camera.

Last appearance of any kind was on the TV show "The Hollywood Palace" (1964) in 1965, reprising her role as Groucho Marx's straight woman. She died just days later.

In memory of those who died this day October 20th:

Endearing character actress May Robson in 1942 at age 84, songwriter Ben Bernie in 1943 at age 52, British actor Patrick Wymark in 1970 at age 44, dependable juvenile actor Larry Nunn committed suicide in 1974 at age 49, Oscar nominee Anthony Quayle in 1989 at age 76, impressive movie star Joel McCrea in 1990 at age 84, Oscar winning movie star Burt Lancaster in 1994 at age 80, and top-notch 'villain' Jack Elam in 2003 at age 84.

Also 'The Miracle Worker' Anne Sullivan in 1936 at age 70.

Mongo (& Bartlett)

Message was edited by: mongo

Born this day October 21st:

Co-star/support Ken Watanabe is 48.

Tall, impressive Japanese actor, Oscar nominated best support for his role in "The Last Samurai" (also a Golden Globe nominee). In "Batman Begins", "Memories of a Geisha", "Flags of Our Fathers", etc.

Has made numerous films in his native Japan.

Divorced (2 children). Married again in 2005. He has battled leukemia. Quoted: "I'm not a big star in Japan. I'm an actor. I have a very normal life. Four days a week, I cook at home. A star doesn't do that."

Co-star/support Carrie Fisher is 51.

Pretty, feisty actress, remembered as Princess Leia in the "Star Wars" series of films. Also in "Under the Rainbow", "The Blues Brothers", "Garbo Talks" w/Anne Bancroft, "Hannah and Her Sisters", "When Harry Met Sally", "Wonderland", "Stateside", etc.

Briefly married to Paul Simon. Has a daughter from second husband. Daughter of Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher. She wrote the book "Postcards from the Edge". Is best friends with Penny Marshall. Currently co-host on TCMs 'The Essentials' with Robert Osborne.

Co-star/support Paula Kelly is 64.

Talented, lovely African-American actress, in "Sweet Charity", "The Andromeda Strain", "Soylent Green", "Uptown Saturday Night", "Drum", "Jo Jo Dancer, Your Life Is Calling", etc.

Emmy nominee for for her role on TVs "Night Court". Gave a sterling performance in the made for TV movie "The Women of Brewster Place". Last on the tube in 1999. Is an accomplished singer and dancer.

Co-star/support Vivian Pickles is 76.

Delightful British character actress, remembered as Harold's mom in "Harold and Maude". Also in "The Looking Glass War" w/Anthony Hopkins, "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Nicholas and Alexandra", "O Lucky Man", "Candleshoe", etc.

Also a prominent stage actress.

Co-star/support Ruth Terry is 87 today.

Charming actress/singer, in "Alexander's Ragtime Band", "The Hound of the Baskervilles", "Hotel for Women", "Sleepytime Gal" w/Judy Canova, "Goodnight Sweetheart", "Lake Placid Serenade", "The New Interns", etc.

Also in numerous westerns with Gene Autry and Roy Rogers.

Married 3 times (last since 1966). Is now retired.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Carleton Young (89) 1905-1994.

Reliable character actor, in "Arizona", "Buck Privates" w/Abbott & Costello, "Smash-Up: The Story of a Woman" w/Susan Hayward, "The Day the Earth Stood Still", "From Here to Eternity", "Battle Cry", "North by Northwest", "Spartacus", "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", "Cheyenne Autumn", etc,

Married close to 50 years. Noted for his deep rich voice. Was a favorite of director John Ford.

Co-star/support Lillian Bronson (92) 1902-1995.

Dependable character actress, in "Gaslight", "Roughly Speaking", "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" as the librarian, "Christmas in Connecticut", "Sentimental Journey", "The Hucksters", "In the Good Old Summertime" as Garland's Aunt Addie, "The Next Voice You Hear", "Spencer's Mountain" w/Henry Fonda, etc.

Guested on many TV shows.

Co-star/support Janet Beecher (70) 1884-1955.

Aristocratic, silver-haired actress, in "So Red the Rose", "The Thirteenth Chair", "Big City" w/Spencer Tracy, "Yellow Jack" about the dreaded yellow fever, "All This, and Heaven Too", "The Mark of Zorro", "The Lady Eve", "Reap the Wild Wind", etc.

Married twice (1 child).

In memory of those who died this day October 21st:

Character actor Richard Bennett (Joan's dad) in 1944 at age 72, Italian comic actor Henry Armetta in 1945 at age 57, pre-code beauty Elissa Landi in 1948 at age 43, character actress Olive Blakeney in 1959 at age 56, character actor Pat Moriarity in 1962 at age 66, Blonde starlet Marie McDonald committed suicide in 1965 at age 42, grand dowager Gertrude Hoffmann in 1966 at age 95, character actor Raymond Hatton in 1971 at age 84, and French writer/director Francois Truffaut in 1984 at age 52.

Mongo (& Bartlett)