Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! II

Born this day August 14th:

Lead/co-star Halle Berry is 40.

Beautiful actress, won Oscar best actress for her strong performance in "Monster's Ball". Also in "The Flintstones", "Ececutive Decision", "Bulworth", "Why Do Fools Fall in Love", "X-Men", "Die Another Day", "X2", "Cat Woman", etc.

Married and divorced twice. Won an Emmy Award for her outstanding role in a TV movie as Dorothy Dandridge.

Co-star/support Marcia Gay Harden is 47.

Exceptional dark-haired actress, won Oscar best support for "****" (also won New York Film Critics Award). Oscar nominated for "Mystic River". In "Miller's Crossing", "Crush", "Used People", "The Spitfire Grill", "The First Wives Club", "Meet Joe Black", "Space Cowboys", "Mona Lisa Smile", "American Gun", etc.

Married since 1996 (3 children including twins). Also a Tony Award nominee.

Lead/co-star Steve Martin is 61.

Outrageously funny actor, in "The Jerk", "Pennies from Heaven" (golden Globe nominee best actor), "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" unique movie, "The Man with Two Brains", "All of Me" (Golden Globe nominee best actor), "Roxanne" (Golden Globe nominee best actor), "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" hilarious movie, "The Lonely Guy", "Parenthood" (Golden Globe nominee best actor), "MY Blue Heaven", "Bringing Down the House", "The Pink Panther", etc.

Divorced from actress Victoria Tennant. Is an accomplished banjo player. Hosted TVs "Saturday Night Live" numerous times.

Co-star/support Alice Ghostley is 80.

Comedic character actress, in "To Kill a Mockingbird", "My Six Loves", "The Graduate", "Viva Max!", "With Six You Get Eggroll", "Gator', "Rabbit Test", "Grease", etc.

Was married for 50 years. Emmy nominee for her role on TVs "Designing Women". Was a cast member of TVs "Bewitched". She won a Tony Award. Last on screen in 2002.

Co-star/support Angela Clarke is 94 today.

Dependable character actress, played mostly mother roles, in "A Double Life", "Mrs. Mike", "The Gunfighter", "The Great Caruso", "It's a Big Country", "The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima", "The House of Wax" w/Vincent Price, "Houdini", "The Seven Little Foys", etc.

Also appeared on TV programs.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Andrea Leeds (69) 1914-1984.

Lovely actress, Oscar nominated best support for "Stage Door" as Kay, the aspiring actress who doesn't succeed. Also in "Dante's Inferno", "Anna Karenina", "Come and Get It", "The Goldwyn Follies", "The Real Glory", "Swanee River" w/Don Ameche, etc.

Married (2 children). She left the screen in 1940.

After her husband's death in 1962, she operated and owned a jewelry shop in Palm Springs. Andrea died of cancer in 1984.

Co-star/support Millard Mitchell (50) 1903-1953.

Reliable character actor, in "The Big Street", "Kiss of Death", "A Double Life", "Winchester '73", "Mister 880" good movie, "My Six Convicts" (Golden Globe nominee best support), "Singin' in the Rain", "The Naked Spur", etc.

He was perfect as a Damon Runyon character. Also a stage actor.

Co-star/support Carl Benton Reid (79) 1893-1973.

Accomplished, stern-looking actor, in "The Little Foxes" as Regina's brother Oscar who abuses his dear wife Birdie (also in the stage play). In "In a Lonely Place", "The Fuller Brush Girl", "The Great Caruso", "Carbine Williams" w/James Stewart, "Broken Lance", "Strange Intruder", "Pork Chop Hill", etc.

In memory of those who died this day August 14th:

Lovely actress Sigrid Gurie in 1969 at age 58, witty pianist/actor Oscar Levant in 1972 at age 65, essential Oscar winning actress Gale Sondergaard in 1985 at age 86, and freckle-faced child actor Jackie 'Butch' Jenkins in 2001 at age 63.

Mongo

Born this day August 15th:

Lead/co-star Ben Affleck is 34.

Dependable actor, in "School Ties", "Good Will Hunting" (he won best screenplay Oscar, shared with Matt Damon), "Armageddon", "Shakespeare in Love", "Dogma", "Reindeer Games", "Bounce", "Pearl Harbor", "The Sum of All Fear", "Jersey Girl", "Surviving Christmas", etc.

Married to Jennifer Garner (1 daughter Violet). Once engaged to Jennifer Lopez. Brother of Casey Affleck.

Co-star/support Tess Harper is 56.

Petite, blonde actress, Oscar nominated best support for "Crimes of the Heart". Also in "Tender Mercies" (Golden Globe nominee best support), "Silkwood", "Ishtar", "Criminal Law", "The Man in the Moon", "The Jackal", etc.

Divorced. Also starred on Broadway.

Co-star/support Lori Nelson is 73.

Pretty blonde starlet, in "Bend of the River", "All I Desire", "Walking My Baby Back Home", "Destry" w/Audie Murphy, "Underwater!", "Revenge of the Creature", "I Died a Thousand Times" (remake of "High Sierra"), "Day the World Ended", etc.

Married twice.

Lead/co-star Mike Connors is 81.

Dashing, reliable actor, remembered as TVs "Mannix" (won Golden Globe Award, and he was a 4 time Emmy nominee). In "Sudden Fear", "Island in the Sky", "Days of Triumph", "Swamp Women", "Five Guns West", "Jaguar", "Where Love Has Gone" w/Susan Hayward, "Harlow", "Gideon", etc.

Married with 2 children. AKA Touch Connors. Is of Armenian heritage. Last on screen in 2003.

Co-star/support Rose Marie is 83 today.

Comedic actress/singer, began her career as the talented child star Baby Rose Marie. Remembered as the lovelorn Sally Rogers on TVs "The Dick Van Dyke Show" (Emmy Award nominee). In "Top Banana", "The Big Beat", "Dead Heat on a Merry-Go-Round", "Lunch Wagon", "Witchboard", "Lost and Found", etc.

Was married 20 years (1 child). A regular on the TV game show "Hollywood Squares". Her trademark is a bow she wears in her hair.

Was quoted, "It was a big mistake. We could have gone on another two years - in color!" [when asked about The Dick Van Dyke Show ending its run after

only five years]

Posthumous

Co-star/support Janice Rule (72) 1931-2001.

Attractive, versatile actress, in "Goodbye My Fancy" w/Crawford, "Holiday for Sinners", "Rogue's March", "The Chase" w/Brando, "The Swimmer" w/Lancaster, "Doctor's Wives", "3 Women", "Missing", etc.

Married 3 times including to Ben Gazzara. Mother of 2 children. Briefly engaged to Farley Granger.

She became a successful psychotherapist.

Co-star/support Huntz Hall (79) 1919-1999.

Wacky member of the original 6 Dead End Kids. In "Dead End", "Crime School", "Angels with Dirty Faces", "They Made Me a Criminal", etc. Also in the 'Bowery Boys' series of films as Sach.

Married 3 times (1 son). Through wise investments he led a comfortable life.

Lead/co-star Wendy Hiller (90) 1912-2003.

Exceptional British actress, won Oscar best support for "Separate Tables". Oscar nominated best actress for "Pygmalion", and for best support in "A Man for All Seasons". In "Major Barbara", "Something of Value", "Sons and Lovers", "Toys in the Attic" (Golden Globe nominee), "Voyage of the Damned", "Murder on the Orient Express", "The Elephant Man", "Making Love", etc.

Married 55 years (2 children). A grand stage actress, she won a Tony Award.

Was quoted, on "Separate Tables" (1958)] "We were all English except Burt [Lancaster] and dear Rita Hayworth. She made a jolly good stab at the film, and she was a lovely creature; I have never been large but Rita was so delicately boned she made me feel like a camel!"

Co-star/support Signe Hasso (91) 1912-2003.

Green-eyed beauty from Sweden, in "Journey for Margaret", "Heaven Can Wait" w/Gene Tierney, "The Story of Dr. Wassell" w/Gary Cooper, "The Seventh Cross", "The House on 92nd. Street" good drama, "Johnny Angel", "A Double Life", "To the Ends of the Earth", "Crisis", etc.

Married twice (1 son, killed in an auto accident in 1954). Appeared on TV. Has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Co-star/support Johnny Roventini (88) 1910-1998.

The world's smallest bellboy, was the spokesman for Philip Morris cigarettes for 40 years. His famous line was "Call for Phil-ip M-o-r-r-i-s".

A cordial 4ft. gentleman dwarf from Brooklyn, he appeared in "Stage Door Canteen".

His voice was heard on thousands of radio and television programs sponsored by the company, and he was seen in his bellboy's regalia (red-trimmed black cap; black-trimmed, bright red tunic with gold buttons; red-striped black trousers and white formal gloves) at thousands of personal appearances across the U.S. until he retired in 1974.

Co-star/support Mary Nash (92) 1884-1976.

Dependable character actress, was mean to little Shirley Temple in "Heidi" and in "The Little Princess". Also in "Come and Get It", "The Rains Came", "The Philadelphia Story" as Hepburn's mother, "Cobra Woman" as the Queen, "The Human Comedy", "Yolanda and the Thief", etc.

Divorced. A veteran stage actress.

Co-star/support Ethel Barrymore (79) 1879-1959.

Supreme character actress, won Oscar best support for "None But the Lonely Heart" as Cary Grant's Ma. Oscr nominated best support for "The Spiral Staircase", "The Paradine Case", and "Pinky". Also in "The Farmer's Daughter", "Moss Rose", "Night Song", "Moonrise", "Portrait of Jennie", "The Red Danube" as a nun, "Kind Lady" lead role, "The Story of Three Loves", etc.

Divorced with 3 children. She appeared just once with her siblings Lionel Barrymore and John Barrymore, in the film "Rasputin and the Empress". A grand stage actress.

Turned down a marriage proposal from Winston Churchill as a young woman.

In memory of those who died this day August 15th:

Humorist Will Rogers (killed in plane crash) in 1935 at age 55, Oscar winning actor Paul Lukas in 1971 at age 76, the 'Merry Mailman' Ray Heatherton in 1997 at age 88, and musical 'teen' actor Freddie Stewart in 2000 at age 75.

Mongo

Hey Mongo (or anyone else that knows),

I've always been curious how to say Signe Hasso's name. I've seen her in several movies, but have never heard her name pronounced before. Can you give me a phonetic interpretation?

Gerb, I'm not certain how to pronounce it myself. I always thought it was Sig-nee (as it looks), or it could be Si-nea.

If Coffeedan looks in on this thread, he is the one to know. He even began a thread about such things, last year.

Thanks Mongo. Let's hope Coffeedan does poke his head in here. There are several character actors that I'm not positive about name pronunciations (e.g., Mischa Auer), and it bugs me everytime I see them. They are usually so far down in the credits that their names are not normally articulated by Osborne. Where are you Coffeedan?

Gerb, I brought Coffeedan's thread 'How to pronounce those difficult names" to the top of the thread in the 'Information, Please!' forum.

Perhaps ypu can ask him about Mischa Auer and Signe Hasso.

Ah, Glimpy is right. TOOMANYNOTES, I should have mentioned that Huntz Hall was also a member of 'The East Sides' in which he was Glimpy.

Believe it or not in the movie "Bowery Blitzkrieg" he played Limpy, which was quickly changed to Glimpy. Hmmmm.

By the way TCM did have a day with the Bowery Boys a few years ago.

Born this day August 16th:

Lead/co-sar Timothy Hutton is 46.

Talented, sensitive actor, won Oscar best support as Conrad in "Ordinary People". Also in "Taps", "Daniel", "Iceman", "The Falcon and the Snowman", "Turk 182!", "Made in Heaven", "Everybody's All-American", "Q & A", "The Temp", "French Kiss", "The General's Daughter", "Kinsey", etc.

Married twice including to Debra Winger. Father of 2 sons. Son of late actor Jim Hutton.

Lead/co-star Angela Bassett is 48.

Lovely African-American actress, Oscar nominated best actress as Tina Turner in "What's Love Got to Do with It" (she won a Golden Globe Award). Also in "F/X", "Boyz N the Hood", "City of Hope", "Passion Fish", "Malcolm X", "Waiting to Exhale", "Contact", "How Stella Got Her Groove Back", "Music of the Heart", "Sunshine State", etc.

Married to Courtney B. Vance (2 children). Also appears on TV.

Lead/co-star Madonna is 48.

Reliable, controversial actress/singer, had her best moments in the musical "Evita", winning a best actress Golden Globe Award. Also in "Desperately Seeking Susan", "Who's That Girl", "Dick Tracy", "Shadows and Fog", "A League of Their Own", "Body of Evidence", "Four Rooms", "Sweapt Away", "Die Another Day", etc.

Married twice including to Sean Penn, and currently to writer/director Guy Ritchie (1 son). Has a daughter from a relationship with actor Carlos Leon.

A mega successful pop diva and composer, has sold millions of CDs (won Grammy Awards). Her stage shows are spectacular events.

Producer/director James Cameron is 52.

Passionate filmmaker, won Oscar best director for his outstanding production of "Titanic" (also won best picture Oscar). Also helmed "The Terminator", "Aliens", "The Abyss", "True Lies", etc.

Married 5 times including to Linda Hamilton (1 daughter) and currently to Suzy Amis (1 daughter).

He Drew the nude picture of Rose (Kate Winslet) in the movie, "Titanic". The image was flipped so it would appear that Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio) was drawing it with his right hand.

Co-star/support Lesley Ann Warren is 60.

Talented, bubbly actress, Oscar nominated best support for "Victor/Victoria". Also in "The Happiest Millionaire", "Harry and Walter Go to New York", "A Night in Heaven", "Choose Me", "Clue", "Color of Night", "Pure Country", "The Limey", "Twin Falls Idaho" weird film, etc.

Married twice including to producer Jon Peters (1 son). Guested on TVs "Desperate Housewives".

Co-star/support Bob Balaban is 61.

Capable, soft-spoken actor, in "Midnight Cowboy" as the student who picks up Jon Voight. Also in "Catch-22", "The Strawberry Statement", "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", "Altered States", "Absence of Malace", "Whose Like Is It Anyway?", "End of the Line", "Bob Roberts", "Gosford Park", "The Majestic", "Capote", etc.

Also a producer and director. A Tony Award nominee.

Co-star/support Julie Newmar is 73.

Statuesque blonde beauty, in "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" as Dorcas, "Li'l Abner", "The Marriage-Go-Round", "For Love or Money", "Makenna's Gold", "Deep Space", etc.

Divorced, she gave birth to a son in her late 40's. On the TV series "My Living Doll" w/Robert Cummings. She won a Tony Award.

Co-star/support Robert Culp is 76.

Dependable actor, remembered for his role opposite Bill Cosby on TVs "I Spy" (Emmy nominee). In "PT 109", "Sunday in New York", "Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice", "Hannie Caulder", "Turk 182!", "The Pelican Brief", "Panther", etc.

Married 5 times including to France Nuyen. Is the father of 5 children. Had a recurring role on TVs "Everybody Loves Raymond" as Debra's dad. Was a great foil on a few "Columbo" episodes.

Lead/co-star Ann Blyth is 78.

Lovely, fresh-faced brunette, Oscar nominated best support as Veda the spoiled brat daughter of Joan Crawford in "Mildred Pierce". Also in "Brute Force", "A Woman's Vengeance", "Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid" fun film, "Our Very Own", "The Great Caruso", "Thunder on the Hill", "All the Brothers Were Valiant", "Rose Marie", "Kismet", "Slander", "The Helen Morgan Story", etc.

Married since 1953 (5 children). Sister-in-law of Dennis Day. In 1951, Howard Hughes gave her a Cadillac and a swimming pool (that guy didn't miss a **** in a windstorm).

Lead/co-star Fess Parker is 81 today.

Tall, Reliable actor, remembered as Disney's 'Davy Crockett', which caused a sensation in the 1950s (remember the **** skin hats?). In "No Room for the Groom" w/Tony Curtis, "Island in the Sky", "Them!" about the giant ants, "Battle Cry", "Disney's "Old Yeller", "The Light in the Forest", "The Jayhawkers", "Smoky", etc.

Married in 1960 (2 children). Also played Daniel Boone. Owns and operates a winery.

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Mae Clark (81) 1910-1992.

Attractive 'dame' remembered as the recipient of Cagney's grape fruit in the face in "Public Enemy". Also in "The Front Page", "Waterloo Bridge" (1931), "Reckless Living", "Frankenstein" as Elizabeth, "Final Edition", "Night World", "Parole Girl", "Lady Killer", "Hearts in Bondage", "Kitty", etc.

Married 3 times. Attended Cagney's AFI salute, which was one of the best.

Co-star/support Glenn Strange (74) 1899-1973.

Craggy-faced character actor in over 200 films (mostly westerns). Remembered as Sam the bartender on TVs "Gunsmoke".

Also played the Frankenstein monster in a few Universal films, including "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein". Once part of a radio singing group known as the "Arizona Wranglers" that toured throughout the country.

In memory of those who died this day August 16th:

Baseball great Babe Ruth in 1948 at age 53, author of 'Gone With the Wind' Margaret Mitchell (hit by a car) in 1949 at age 48, Horror great Bela Lugosi in 1973 at age 56, brassy blonde supporting actress Veda Ann Borg in 1973 at age 58, rock & Roll legend Elvis Presley in 1977 at ge 42, Miss Kitty of 'Gunsmoke' Amanda Blake in 1989 at age 60, dependable actor Jeff Corey in 2002 at age 88, and beautiful starlet Acquanetta in 2004 at age 83.

Birthday wishes go out to TCM board member TMS today

Mongo

I really enjoy Angela Basset's work and had no idea that she is married to Courtney B. Vance. I saw him on Broadway in John Guare's Six Degrees of Separation. He was fantastic in this role, and I was very sorry that he wasn't cast for the film version. Will Smith's interpretation of the role was so watered down. Sigh...

Thanks, Mr. Mongo!

Hey Mongo,

Of course, it's not a big thing, but I think you had another slip of the finger (who doesn't?). You inverted Bela's age and death year, I believe.

Thanks for steering me over to Coffeedan's thread. Wordmaster has been immensely helpful in the pronunciation of several names.

Thanks for the help.

And right you are, Gerb. I went cross-eyed from today's long listing and I killed off the vampire before his time.

Bela Lugosi actually died in 1956 at age 73.

I'm reminded of one of my favorite stories. When Lugosi was laid out at the funeral parlor in his Dracula cape, his friends Vincent Price and Peter Lorre viewed the body. Lorre said to Price "Should we drive a stake into his heart, just in case?"

Priceless.