Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CCerini

Is there a movie that has influenced your choices in life?

A number of years ago, a friend who was in the distribution end of the movie business told me that he didn't think he was making a substantial contribution to society compared to most of his friends who were in the professions.

I disagreed, pointing out that movies make one significant contribution by way of inspiration. Seeing "The Story of Louis Pasteur" was what first interested me in microbiology and resulted in my career as a research scientist.

Since then, I often bring this subject up with friends, who are not movie buffs and I do occasionally find others who have been similarly inspired.

I have only recently discovered the TCM message boards and am fascinated by the insights and knowledge displayed by you movie cognoscenti in your postings. I would be interested to know if, in this group, there are more individuals who can cite a movie that helped them define a path in life.

I, like you, have recently dicovered the message board and I feel like I finally can interact w/ people who have the same passion and insight as I do about the classics and the golden era of Hollywood.I have seen my fair share of inspirational movies but give me a chance to think and I'll come up w/ a couple of good ones.

Welcome to you both. I hope you have a long and happy life on the boards.

My movie wasn't so much about a path as it was about me. "It's A Wonderful Life" (as sappy as it sounds) made me feel better about myself at a time when I wasn't feeling better about myself. (read - late teen years.) I saw myself as a sort of George Bailey. I was born old. While I don't have the impact of what "George" did I find I have an impact in the lives of my family, and my friends. I may not be the richest guy in town but I must be ok in that I do have friends and a family that has decided to keep me.

At a very impressionable time, (young adulthood) I saw Lawrence of Arabia. I had read much about the real T.E. Lawrence, including Seven Pillars of Wisdom, and much, much more. A fascinating character, who achieved remarkable goals, almost through sheer will. - But, Lawrence was a tortured soul, and almost pathological in some aspects....But, the film itself did clarify for me the dangers of self hatred, and dwelling on feelings of being an "outsider." All normal thoughts and uncertainties when one is young, At the time, it helped me towards self acceptance, which was really liberating.

For some reason the movie "The Imitation of Life", Claudette Colbert version comes to my mind.Where I grew up there was a lot of racism, I was never a racist but my parents certainly were and I used to argue w/ them about how bad that was and how I didn't want to be a part of it.One night my mother and I saw that movie and we both cried, that moment I knew that my mother had the ability to change. I came to the conclusion that maybe her idea of racism was just an attitude passed down from generation to generation.

It took me awhile to think about it but when I was a kid I saw "Twelve Angry Men" with Henry Fonda. His was the only "Not Guilty" vote out of twelve jurors. He stood alone with his belief that he had a doubt about a young boy murdering his father. It took a lot of courage for him to stand alone and then to take on the other eleven to convince them that they should reconsider their verdict. The thing that I liked about it was the eleven were as different as people could be as in real life. The fact that they all changed their vote to "Not Guilty" wasn't important. It just showed me that if you could stand alone with your opinion and not be intimidated by the majority than you could be a better person.

Wow! What great responses and what great movies! These are exactly the kinds of insights I was hoping to elicit. It is so interesting to learn how particular movies have affected and shaped our outlook on life.

I'm glad to see that Cinemabuff64 came back with a title. I hope we can get a few others to let us know which movies impressed them enough to have an impact on their lives.

Good thread topic.

I don't know that a movie helped me choose a path in life (none have that I know of), but from time to time, a line from one or another may come to mind regarding certain situations and certainly movies are powerful images that help form opinions and ideas.

2 movies come to mind:

1) It's A Wonderful Life - for the same reason as the previous poster whom mentioned it. Truly an inspiring movie for those who might be down on themselves for any reason.

2) Oddly enough, The Purple Heart comes to mind as a movie, that I saw a few times as a child, that helped make me proud of my country and what we did, and stood for in WWII. It was certainly a propaganda effort at the time (early 40's) to bolster the homefront at a critical time, but it affected me years later (in the 1960's) in a similar regard.

BTW...my father was in the Army Air Force in WWII and his plane was hit a few days before D-Day, and barely made it to safety in Sweden in a near crash landing. Thus, I had a personal interest in understanding why that war happened.

Since you mentioned war movies the one that quickly comes to mind is the "Deer Hunter" from 1979 w/ the great Robert DeNiro, none the less great Meryl Streep (always a pleasure to watch)and Christopher Walken. That movie is the one that made me realize the realities of war. Another is "Coming Home" w/ Jon Voight, Jane Fonda and Bruce Dern (Laura's father).I believe that both Jon and Jane won the oscar that year for their great performances.

Movieman:

I say that you've got to love a man who appreciates "It's a Wonderful Life".

Sounds like you have an enriched life if, as you say, you have the love of your friends and family.I figure that no matter how bad a given situation might be there is always someone else worse off .I always try to find the positive in everything and that seems to pull me through.

I think the movie "Spencer's Mountain-1963"is a really good ,stand by your family and sacrifice for them type of movie, it gives you a warm feeling .Henry Fonda and Maureen O'Hara play the parents and I just love both of them.If you have'nt seen it you should.It teaches the importance of family and education.This movie was written by Earl Hamner Jr.(wrote The 70's show -Waltons), this is a supposed spinoff for that precise show.

Thank you for the note. Every day is not a picnic but in spite of what I see as my shortcomings I know there are those worse off than me. I've had days where I want let go like when George knocks around the living room but I don't.

One of the scenes that get me in the movie is at the end when George has come home and his kids are jumping all over him and he kisses Mary as if he hasn't seen her for a year. There are days when my family greets me in a similar fashion (and I have teenagers) and everything goes away, for awhile at least. Yeah, in some ways I'm pretty lucky.

Message was edited by:

Me

Have you checked out the listing for tonight on TCM? I already cried my eyes out w/ Madame X earlier and I'm now watching "Mogambo" which will be followed by two other Clark Gable movies, "Boom Town", and "China Seas".

As far as my family, my kids are in their teens as well but we are very close and open with one another.My kids are my all......they are what it's all about.