Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ThinMan15

The Beatles' Films

Watching them now on DVD, I think that "Hard Day's Night" holds up very well as simply a movie, not just a Beatles movie, or a musical. "Help!" is much more of its time - the Swingin' 60s, opulent fantasy film, although I still find it very good and very well done. After 40+ years, I'm still not tired of either one of them. They are both groovy.

"A Hard Day's Night" is a really good movie especially if you catch all the British humor. jdb1 is right about "Help", very 60s but still fun. "Magical Mystery Tour" is pretty much of a mess. "Yellow Submarine" is a visually lovely movie with some cool "music videos" interrupted by some, at times, bad dialogue. Would love to see "Let It Be" again. I saw it when it was first released but 35 years can give you a whole new perspective.

Yes, "Let It Be" was a real eye-opener, and showed the lads not only as human, but as working musicians.

"Magical Mystery Tour" is embarrassing - I thought that the first time I saw it a zillion years ago when I was a fan who thought they could do no wrong.

I find "Yellow Submarine" rather dated now; moreso than "Help!". I have tape of it, and my daughter, who is a fan, hates it.

I suppose "Let It Be" is in one of their endless litigations and we may not see it in our lifetime. Too bad.

"A Hard Day's Night" is terrific. I never get tired of that.

"Help" is a lot of fun. In some ways, it feels like a Monty Python movie ahead of its time.

I also admit to liking Eric Idle's Beatles parody "All You Need Is Cash," the history of a band called "The Rutles." he takes a cliche history of the Beatles and sends everything up. Even the mock-Beatles songs are quite funny. (And yes, I own the soundtrack to this one.)

I recently saw "All You Need Is Cash" and it was as much fun as I remembered it. I agree in that Neil Innes' songs are very clever and capture the feel of Beatles music. Maybe it was too much Mick Jagger and not enough Rutles.

I never noticed this one before so I will tell you I am a big Beatles Fan and have loved their music since I was knee high to a grasshopper LOL. I remember going to see Let It Be at the theater when it came out and was just blown away to see them working and playing and of course the feuding that was going on with them . George getting ticked at Paul and telling him he'll play anyway Paul wants him to play.the rooftop concert.I had been to London a few times but had never had the chance to see Abby Road Studios.When my Mom passed away in 2001it was her request that we take her home to Scotland for burial,we were to meet my older brother in Scotland but had a few days to kill before we were to meet him . My other brother and I decided to fly to London and have a couple of days there and then take the bus to Scotland and meet big brother. We got on the subway and got off near where Abby Road Studios was . My brother had to do the famous crosswalk seen as in the album and what a laugh we had . It was quite a feeling to see where the four Lads did some of their finest work.I have strayed a bit with this subject but it brought back a nice memory for me ,So Thank you for letting me speak here about a nice time in my life.

> I recently saw "All You Need Is Cash" and it was as

> much fun as I remembered it. I agree in that Neil

> Innes' songs are very clever and capture the feel of

> Beatles music. Maybe it was too much Mick Jagger and

> not enough Rutles.

I'm still singing those songs - they are really good, and all of them are 'almost, but not quite.'

Have you seen the follow-up? It's called "Can't Buy Me Lunch." Unfortunately, it's not so hot, and is primarily interviews with real celebs improvising anecdotes about the Rutles (with lots and lots of Sir Mick). There's no new footage, just clips from the previous show. Also a rather unfunny ongoing bit with Jimmy Fallon which ought to be cut out. Maybe it was one of those contractual obligation things.

Does it seem like I'm always advertising for local theatres? It's just that San Francisco's Castro Theatre is in the midst of a Beatles Festival. Vaudeville lives!

August 26 - The Sun Kings perform the Beatles set from their final concert at San Francisco's Candlestick Park in 1966. Followed by screenings of I Wanna Hold Your Hand and The Magical Mystery Tour. Then Rock journalist Ben Fong Torres recounts his experience at the Candlestick Concert and presents a 1976 interview he did with Paul McCartney, reminiscing about the 1966 concert, San Francisco and his days with The Beatles. And then a screening of A Hard Days Night.

August 27 - A Sing-along showing of The Yellow Submarine; Concert footage from The Beatles' Washington DC concert. Richard Lester's How I Won the War and a sneak preview of the new Lion's Gate film The U.S. vs. John Lennon.

I never saw a beatles' movie. I stayed loyal to my American idols, like Elvis, Frankie, Fabian, Bobby Rydell, Bobby Darin, and Dion and the Belmonts. I literally 'yelled' at my friends, 'the traitors' when they swooned over Paul, and George. As an adult however, I have come to appreciate Lennon's lyrics, my eyes were dry on the day he was shot, it was like "What's wrong with you people"? But Imagine is truly great, Of course when Elvis died, I was grown up had been married and divorced, and had 4 kids, but I cried like a baby, felt so sorry for the poor hillbilly who had nobody to direct him except a father who just hung on his coat-tails, and a manager who screwed him in every way he could. The Beatles just turned me off.

SO THERE!

Anne

Marco, you've brought back a memory of the Beatles in San Francisco. I remember a photo in Look or Life magazine of girls carrying on at the Beatles first (I think) appearance there - I think it was at the Cow Palace -- is that or was that a venue in SF? Anyway, there was a photo of a girl holding a tuft of grass she had pulled up from the field after the concert -- "Ringo walked on this grass!!!"

At one of the two Shea Stadium concerts of theirs I attended, I remember Ol' Richie being so stoned he kept falling over onto the drums, and Sir Paul kept turning back to get his attention, stamping his foot to keep him on the beat.

>

> At one of the two Shea Stadium concerts of theirs I

> attended, I remember Ol' Richie being so stoned he

> kept falling over onto the drums, and Sir Paul kept

> turning back to get his attention, stamping his foot

> to keep him on the beat.

Nice memory to be passed on to your grandkids someday. I remember Elvis offering my girlfriend and me a glass of iced tea (the coke of the south) when we went backstage to see him when he was at the amphitheater in Chicago, and my uncle (a cop at the time) was guarding him.

Here's an anecdote that you will probably think is BS but I had my first taste of marijuana on my 50th birthday. My friend knew I had never tried it as a kid, so he got some for me. . . . I fell asleep for four hours. It did nothing for me. And I always thought my friends were pretty stupid for messing with it, I should say ex-friends when I found out how stupid they were. Can you guess I hate drugs of any kind, and can't admire any entertainer who uses them. I suppose most of them do, but they don't all make it public, like Ben Affleck and Charlie Sheen, and look what happened to River Phoenix, he had such a grand future.

Sorry folks, drugs are my main pet peeve. I felt sorry for Judy Garland and Elvis, Judy, because she was started so young and didn't know how to get out, and Elvis bcause he was started by prescribed medications that snowballed.

Again, I apologize, oddly I don't even know anyone who has been ruined by drugs except entertainers, I just feel it's something Old Bush-head should be fighting here in the states instead of how many prayers kids say in school or people who live on the other side of the world.

I now step off my soapbox.

Anne

The photo of the grassy-palmed girl was probably taken at Candlestick Park, where the Beatles performed in 1966. The Cow Palace is still a concert (and other events) venue, but it's an indoor arena and there's no lawn. Candlestick, however, is outdoor and features lawn (and I imagine the audience contributed grass).

The Beatles stayed at the Hilton Hotel during their stay and my sister and I went there. Gaggles if giggling girls were everywhere, hoping to catch a glimpse of the mop-haired boys. A large cardboard box was placed on the front desk, and the public could write notes to The Beatles. I was just a tyke, but I remember that I scribbled a gushing note to Paul and placed it in the box. I'm sure he treasures it to this day... ;)

I was never a screamer, and when I first went into groups surrounding the rock stars of the 60s, I was shocked by the behavior of other girls. Screaming, and crying and fainting, just like in the Beatles movies -- they really did that. However, the energy level at Shea Stadium, packed well over capacity, was something I'll never forget, and I'm glad I experienced it.

I recall also that at the second concert, a girl next to me grabbed the binoculars I was perspicacious enough to have brought with me, since I was just a poor kid who couldn't afford the good seats. Unfortunately for me, the binocs were on a strap around my neck at the time, and I was dragged along with them and wound up in her lap. She didn't stop shrieking the whole time. Sheesh!

My favorite is Help!

The cute beatle to me was George

I remember watching them on Ed Sullivan and watching these girls scream!

It's a terrible thing to say but i wasn't awed by them! I had won tickets to see them but was not able to go because my parents wouldn't let me go see them!

My favorite is by far Yellow Submarine, which I think is blessed with a timeless quality that in fact makes it improve with repeated viewings. Of course the animation is wonderful and inventive and full of awesome word play... ("I got a hole in my pocket now").

I don't like how they always let their movies go out of print and stay OOP for several years... seems too calculated to make them seem more precious than they really would be.

So I like having the DVD's of Yellow Submarine and A Hard Day's Night, they're my two favorites.

I also liked The U.S. versus John Lennon although of course it's a documentary of a very different nature...

I wish "Help" would turn up. I don't think we'll ever see "Let It Be" again except in "clip" form. With them having made up I'm not sure they (or the widows) see a point in releasing it.

Although most critics love "Hard Days Night" (1964), I much prefer Help! (1965), which was always my personal favorite closely followed by Yellow Submarine (1968).

"Magical Mystery Tour" as was stated is frought with problems. Brian had just died at that point and Paul was beginning to try to establish control of the group--which the other three naturally resented.

As for "Let it Be" I think John summed it up best when he said when it came out even the biggest Beatle fan couldn't have sat through those 6 weeks of misery.

Here's a little deleted clip from Let it Be: John is making fun of Paul's song.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=f1ELhUa5bQY

Tensions must have been high that day.

Anyone know why currently has the rights to all of these films? I'm thinking how delightful it would be if some of them turned up on HD format in the next few years.... :)

I wish TCM could get rights for more Beatles movies, many of which are out of print on DVD, unfortunatley when they've had showings of 60's music movies, (non-musicals) they are never Beatles films.

While the traditional musical was showing signs of age and overall decline, the new kind of "movie music" that was pushing the envelope included many of the movies such as the Beatles made.

It's a shame they're kind of picky when it comes to the movie rights.

"A Hard Day's Night" and I believe "Help" are United Artists releases so I think they are in the realm of what TCM could show. At least "A Hard Day's Night" is. I'm not sure why "Help" hasn't turned up on DVD.

I think Help! came out on DVD, however at the moment it is out of print and fetches high prices in the second-hand market.

Not sure that I'd buy one myself, tho, if I can rent it! ;)