Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cee

"recent film" talk doesn't belong here

Well, I joined this forum for purely superficial reasons. I don't want to get too heavy! Goodness, let's just talk about who's the prettiest, who was the best actor, who was miscast, stuff like that there! For cryin' out loud!

Ok! Are you guys tryin' to start a fight? Put 'em up! What do you want to fight about? Race? Whose got it worser? Who is the most prettiest? Pick your poison!

Of course, you know I was kidding, TOOMANYNOTES. I was sure you would be more cleverer than that there!

I just ran out of things to say on this thread, so I bailed. Cowardly, I know, but they need me over in the Whose Favorite Actor Is This? thread!

GarboManiac,

Quote:

"...Goodness, let's just talk about who's the prettiest, who was the best actor, who was miscast, stuff like that there!..."

Yes, I agree. I want to write a message about MY favorite topic--Errol Flynn.

Errol Flynn--he was the man.

BTW: GarboManiac...who was the best actor?

Rusty

Rusty,

Oh, gosh! That is a tough one. I always disconnect beauty and ability with men. Funny, huh? That double standard. Errol is in my top 5, by the way, pretty funny! My favorites are Errol, Tyrone, Cary, Randolph, and Burt Lancaster. I love how each one acted in films, but I pretty much consider each of them to be MOVIE STARS, even though Burt won an Oscar! But, if you really want my opinion on who was the best ACTOR, I would have to say either Laurence Olivier, or someone who was never really quite a star, like Lionel Barrymore, or John Gielgud. Those kinda guys were really the talents, but not the looks, so they are often not listed on favorites or the greatest lists.

GM

GarboManiac,

I'm picking John Barrymore (best Hollywood actor). Last night, I watched a couple of Mr. Barrymore's movies on DVD--"Bulldog Drummond...". Not his best movies and the DVD?...my God, five movies per DVD side! Even through the pixels, John Barrymore's screen persona was tremendous. John Barrymore's Broadway stage work must of been...words fail me...worth the price of admission.

Thinking about the subject, Lionel Barrymore's acting job did not fall short of his brother in "Arsine Lupine". What the heck, I still choose John Barrymore.

Note that I would never buy a "fifty movies...five DVDs" thing. The DVD set was a gift.

Rusty

Oh, yeah! I imagine those are a mess! I got one as a gift with, unbeknownst to the giver, the worst films of each actor listed. It was a mess, and it only had eight films.

Well, I have to give in to you. I almost listed John, but thought I would see who you picked. So, I willingly agree with your choice! As a matter of fact, I wish Garbo and Barrymore had done one more film together, like a whole one. There was talk of his doing Queen Christina, but they finally concluded he was too old. Ha! So we are robbed of the combo due to aging, "loss of looks," again! Isn't is funny how looks were so important in film, no matter how much anyone disputes.

Well, I joined this forum for purely superficial reasons. I don't want to get too heavy! Goodness, let's just talk about who's the prettiest, who was the best actor, who was miscast, stuff like that there! For cryin' out loud!

I second that! There are other forums on the internet,millions of them,for discussing politics,race,etc etc etc. This one is for discussing classic movies and our love for them,and the actors,technique,and all things classic movies! Geeze,no matter where you go or what you do,you can't get a break from it!

Thanks, daddysprimadonna! You tell 'em!

Oh, and that picture you sent to TOOMANYNOTES over in Hedy's thread is one of the most beautiful I have seen! I've seen many, but never that particular one!

Thanks :) I don't think that there could be an unflattering picture of Hedy Lamarr,she was just too downright perfectly beautiful! Byron didn't know it,but he wrote these lines for her-

"She walks in beauty like the night

Of cloudless climes and starry skies,

And all that's best of dark and bright

Meet in her aspect and her eyes;

Thus mellowed to the tender light

Which heaven to gaudy day denies."

Message was edited by: Me,for punctuation! 'Cause I don't want Sister Winifred to rap my knuckles!

daddysprimadonna

Errol Flynn--he was the man.

You tell 'em, jarhfive!!!! ;)

You know that *I* agree with you! *lol*

The perfect tribute to "The Most Beautiful!" I never get tired of praising Lamarr!

Oh, and pktrekgirl, he was the MAN! Even over Gable!

> am i alone in thinking this? the word "classic" is in

> this board's title & i think we should stick to that

OK. And let's agree to not participate in or read any discussions that don't deal with films that are considered "classic". Wait, that would be exercising one's own free will. Imagine that!

party pants- Part of the relevance of modern cinema, circa 1970s to present, is its base design was on these earlier films. There would be no Raiders of the Lost Ark, without Gunga Din. Maybe the effort should be between bridging the gap between past cinema and present, not disregarding it.

I agree 100%. There never has been or ever will be anyone who can hold a candle to Errol. He had such beauty, inteligence, talent, wit, and charm.

> I believe that in

> one hundred years the old B&Ws will all be locked up

> in some library somewhere

I think you're right...I'm so glad I'll be dead...

Who are you, cee, to say what should and what should not belong?

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but when your opinion proclaims what should be, then, in my estimation, you are out of line, and self-invalidating.

Sorry.

Obviously, you've not acknowledged what TCM's own Mr. Salesman has to convey on what is a 'classic.'

Well, Sam, as often as I have agreed with you, I have to disagree now. I HATE recent film talk on this forum or blog or whatever it is called, and I don't think it belongs here. It is called "Classic Movies." To me, and to many others (after HUNDREDS of posts of discussions in COUNTLESS threads), that does not, with GREAT exception, go past the 70's.

Everytime I see a new thread about "What Recent Movie Do You Like?" "What Recent Movie Do You Think Will Become A Classic?" "What Recent Documentaries Should Be On Your Hot List?" "What Recent Movie Star Do You Like Best?" I could SCREAM. I don't give a rat's behind about any film made after the 70's. I am on this forum to discuss Constance Bennett and Marie Dressler and Valentino. I do NOT want to talk about Jack Nicholson or Caddyshack or Kevin Spacey!

I COMPLETELY agree with Cee. I'm sure there are many threads THROUGHOUT THE UNIVERSE which discuss new garbage such as Pulp Fiction AND Washington Square, et al. But, personally, I think they are worthless.

So, as many others do, myself included, when they do not agree with a thread, they simply avoid it. And, that is my opinion! Nothing against you Sam, but I am surprised that you would support alternate discussions, especially after having experienced your political ones!

You know, it is like people have Attention Deficit Disorder. They can't concentrate on one concept. There is no mental organization. As soon as someone gets bored, they create a new thread about "What Recent Actor Do You Think Is Like An Old One?" For cryin' out loud. Moirafinnie had one of the most original "CLASSIC MOVIE" creations on this thread, Classic Cinema College. And, it didn't include any new actors or films! Thank God! Why don't more people do something creative like that? I wish everyone could stay on topic! That's MY rant!

While I respect your rebuttal, GM, I nevertheless regard the gist of it as something akin to ageist prejudice.

//To me, and to many others (after HUNDREDS of posts of discussions in COUNTLESS threads), that does not, with GREAT exception, go past the 70's.//

Such a statement causes me to pause and regard the wisdom of Mill concerning "the tyranny of the majority."

If you wish to contraindicate someone, do so.

Attempting to garner vaildation from some perceived majority is irrelevant and, subsequently, unnecessary - if you feel as you do then more power to you.

It isn't necessary (for me at any rate) to have to validate your sensibility with some endorsement from the masses (as you would indicate are the majority of voices concerning this matter); i respect your opinion without such authentication.

Though, I still do not concur - something classical is, by defintion, considered to be the traditional or authoritative form of something, and I will be willing to argue explicitly how so much post-1970's cinema is clearly warranting of that classification.