Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here's what was on TCM in June/98, eight years ago this month

filmlover

I just got several Now Playing magazines from 1998 and I thought you might be interested to know what was playing on TCM eight years ago this month.

The Star of the Month was James Cagney, with 44 movies. Director of the Month was Norman Taurog with 27 movies. Theme of the Month was New York in June with 22 movies. There was a Private Screenings with June Allyson and 4 movies. Another theme was Desire and Danger on TCM! (Forbidden Love had 5 movies and How to Murder Your Wife had 4 movies). There was a birthday tribute to Cole Porter with 5 movies. There was a David Niven night with 5 movies. Dads and Daughters ? A Father?s Day Tribute had 2 movies. The Festival of Shorts Volume VII had two canine comedy shorts.

June 1998

1: Too Many Girls; The Navy Comes Through; Father Takes A Wife; Four Jacks and a Jill; Bataan; The Long, Long Trailer; Forever Darling; Around the World Under the Sea; Yankee Doodle Dandy; Love Me or Leave Me; Footlight Parade; A Midsummer Night?s Dream; Festival of Shorts VII.

2: Blonde Crazy; Blonde Fever; Thieves Fall Out; Yolanda and the Thief; Undercurrent; Madame Bovary; The Barretts of Wimpole Street; Moby Dick; The Bride Came C.O.D.; The Strawberry Blonde; Boy Meets Girl: The Irish in Us; Lady Killer; Hard to Handle.

3: The Millionaire; Festival of Shorts VII; Trapeze; Sweet Smell of success; Operation Petticoat; Don?t Make Waves; Sex and the Single Girl: Orca; Shake Hands with the Devil; These Wilder Years; Captains of the Clouds; The Fighting 69th; Devil Dogs of the Air; James Cagney: Top of the World.

4: The Picture Snatcher; MGM Parade Show #13; Rendezvous; Reckless; China Seas; The Velvet Touch; A Very Private Affair; The Sharkfighters; Tribute to a Bad man; The Oklahoma Kid; City for Conquest; Winner Take All; The Crowd Roars; Frisco Kid; MGM Parade Show #14.

5: The St. Louis Kid; Forty Little Mothers; The Secret of Dr. Kildare; Judge Hardy and Son; The Fallen Sparrow; Criminal Court; Festival of Shorts VII; Love is a Ball; Flipper?s New Adventure; The Public Enemy; G-Men; The Mayor of Hell; Sinner?s Holiday; Un Nuage Entre Les Dents; Smart Money.

6: Doorway to Hell; Hell Harbor; Gilda; Texas Across the River; Mutiny in the Bounty; Romance on the High Seas; The Milagro Beanfield War; James Cagney: Top of the World; White Heat; The Roaring Twenties; Each Dawn I Die; Angels with Dirty Faces; He Was Her Man; Jimmy the Gent.

7: Torrid Zone; Sky Murder; Sky Full of Moon; Side Street; North by Northwest; Marnie; Suspicion; Gunga Din; One, Two, Three; The Gallant Hours; 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1916); Here Comes the Navy; Taxi; Other Men?s Women.

8: Kisses for Breakfast; A Kiss in the Dark; To the Victor; Night Unto Night; The Adventures of Don Juan; Moonfleet; Stage Struck; The Glass Slipper; It?s A Date; Nancy Goes to Rio; Congo Maisie; Mogambo; Red Dust; MGM Parade Show #13.

9: Abbott and Costello in Hollywood; The Valley of Decision; Anchors Aweigh; The Mighty McGurk; The Green Years; The Romance of Rosy Ridge; Tom Thumb; Les Girls; Silk Stockings; High Society; Kiss me. Kate, DuBarry Was a Lady.

10: Broadway Melody of 1938; Love Finds Andy Hardy; Listen Darling; The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: 50 Years of Magic; Babes in Arms; For Me and My Gal; Girl Crazy; Meet Me in St, Louis; The Harvey Girls; The Pirate; Easter Parade; In the Gold Old Summertime; Summer Stock.

11: Lonely Wives; The Church Mouse; God?s Gift to Women; Little Mr. Jim; Spring Reunion; The Quiet Man; Reunion in France; Flipper; Lolita; The Postman Always Rings Twice; A Patch of Blue; We Who Are Young; Mayerling.

12: Gangway for Tomorrow; Bewitched; The Arnelo Affair; MGM Parade Comedy #13; Nightmare; The Prize; The Outrage; Hotel Paradiso; The Phantom Tollbooth; The Good Earth; Our Vines Have Tender Grapes; As the Earth Turns; La Strada; Knockout; MGM Parade Show #14.

13: The Vikings; The Pagan; Anzio; The Rounders; A Tale of Two Cities; Oliver!; The Red Badge of Courage; Impressions if Garland; Dial M. for Murder; Sorry, Wrong Number; The Two Mrs. Carrolls; Julie; It Happened to Jane.

14: The Dragon Murder Case; Roar of the Dragon; Festival of Shorts VII; The Mask of Dimitrios; How the West Was Won; MGM Parade Show #13; An Officer and a Gentleman; Battleground; Saddle the Wind; Rosemary?s Baby; The Merry Widow (1925); The Merry Widow (1934); Count Your Blessings.

15: Street Girl; Side Streets; Side Street; The Happy Road; Bright Road; The Learning Tree; A Place for Lovers; The 400 Blows; King Kong; A Night at the Opera; Manhattan Melodrama; Lady for a Day; Broadway Melody of 1936.

16: The Devil?s Brother; Bonnie Scotland; Pick a Star; Air Raid Wardens; Nothing But Trouble; Janie; Janie Gets Married; Come Live with Me; MGM Parade Show #14; Jules and Jim; On the Town; The Fountainhead; The Hucksters; Woman of the Year; Easter Parade.

17: Ten Thousand Bedrooms; Some Came Running; Bells Are Ringing; Ada; Toys in the Attic; Summer and Smoke; The Trial; On the Waterfront; Sweet Smell of Success; Edge of the City; Cry Terror; The World, the Flesh and the Devil; MGM Parade Show #14.

18: The Merry Widow; Rose Marie; Sweethearts; Bitter Sweet; Smilin? Through; Three Daring Daughters; Viva Maria!; The World of Henry Orient; West Side Story; Midnight Cowboy; Butterfield 8; Festival of Shorts VII.

19: Harrigan?s Kid; The Canterville Ghost; The Captain is a Lady; The Wild Man of Borneo; All This and Heaven Too; Small Town Girl; Mademoiselle; Manhattan; Saturday Night Fever; Soylent Green; Rocco and His Brothers; Busby Berkley: Going through the Roof.

20: Timetable; One More Time; The Phantom of Hollywood; El Dorado; Lilies of the Field; A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum; Summer and Smoke; The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: 50 Years of Magic; The Guns of Navarone; The Pink Panther; Please Don?t Eat the Daisies; A Kiss in the Dark; The King?s Thief.

21: See Here, Private Hargrove; What Next Corporal Hargrove?; Nora Prentiss; On Golden Pond; The Courtship of Eddie?s Father; Father?s Little Dividend; The Treasure of Sierra Madre; Paper Moon; On Golden Pond; The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg; A Free Soul; The Barrets of Wimpole Street.

22: This Land is Mine; Once Upon a Honeymoon; The Fallen Sparrow; The Spanish Main; Sinbad the Sailor; The Pirate; At War with the Army; Broadway Melody of 1940; Lucky Night; Boys Town; The Girl Downstairs; Hold ?Em Jail; Design for Scandal.

23: Let Freedom Ring; Gunga Din; Powder Town; Bengazi; Hot Rods to Hell; The Locket; Those Enduring Young Charms; MGM Parade Show #13; The Ladies Man; Little Nellie Kelly; Presenting Lily Mars; Men of Boys Town; A Yank at Eton; Girl Crazy; MGM Parade Show #14.

24: The Body Snatcher; Criminal Court; Mystery in Mexico; So Big; Executive Sweet; How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying; Quick Before It Melts; Three on a Couch; The Hoodlum Saint; The Beginning or The End; The Bride Goes Wild; Big City; Words and Music.

25: But the Flesh is Weak; Faithless; Another Language; Hell Below; Fugitive Lovers; Piccadilly Jim; June Bride; The Big Mouth; That Midnight Kiss; The Toast of New Orleans; It Happened at the World?s Fair; Rich, Young and Pretty; Bundle of Joy.

26: Of Human Bondage; Caged; Above and Beyond; Interrupted Melody; The Seventh Sin; Many Rivers to Cross; Don?t Raise the Bridge, Lower the River; Spinout; Double Trouble; Live a Little, Love a Little; Beauty and the Beast; Speedway.

27: Mrs. O?Malley and Mr. Malone; Please Believe Me; Somebody Up There Likes Me; Cimarron; A Fine Madness; Naughty Marietta; Sex and the Single Girl; Fonda on Fonda; Love with the Proper Stranger; The Towering Inferno; The Cincinnati Kid; Kid Galahad; Festival of Shorts VII.

28: His Family Tree; Muss ?Em Up; The Tuttles of Tahiti; Destination Murder; Top Hat; Swing Time; Follow the Fleet; Royal Wedding; Your Cheatin? Heart; Coal Miner?s Daughter; Desert Nights; Desert Package; Hot Lead; Land of the Open Range; The Rookie Cop.

29: Best of the Badmen; The Set-Up; The Iron Major; Citizen Kane; Festival of Shorts VII; Never So Few; Never Say Goodbye; Two Tickets to Broadway; The Invisible Boy; Stars in My Crown; This Could Be the Night; Edge of Darkness; It All Came True.

30: The Lusty Men; I?ll Cry Tomorrow; I Want to Live; Ada; Back Street; Stolen Hours; Get Carter; Private Screenings: June Allyson; The Stratton Story; Private Screenings: June Allyson; The Opposite Sex; Little Women; Best Foot Forward.

Thank you Filmlover! Very cool. Every night, in today's TCM, there is a different theme, which I understand this happening occasionally, but...every night? Is there a different theme for every evening? Just wondering.

The World, the Flesh and the Devil -- I may be wrong, but I thought this was introduced, this past month, as a TCM premiere.

Forever Darling - Hmmm...I also thought this was also announced as a premiere, too -- maybe it was another Desi-Lucy movie.

A lot of the same groups of movies are still being shown together today. One improvement over yesteryear, are more silents. Interesting.

Thanks again Filmlover. This took some time.

One oddball thing I found in typing it all up, and yes, it was a lot of work, was that on the 20th was The Phantom of Hollywood with Jack Cassidy, which was a TV-movie. Strange.

And, in the July/98 issue, one of the highlights of the month was A Separate Cinema, a 29-movie festival of independent black films, which makes it different than the great month we recently experienced since it concentrates on independents. Lucy was the star of the month. If there is interest in me doing the same for that issue's films, let me know here in this thread and I will do one up when July rolls around.

• 2 months later...

[nobr]Clearly, nothing has changed (so the harbingers of doom be damned):[/nobr]

All the same, recycled, wonderful, classical classics

Plus: other post-classical classics just like now (e.g. Milagro Beanfield War, MIdnight Cowboy, et cetera et cetera et cetera.)

S A M

[nobr]527.gif[/nobr]