Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

need help with a vampire film- naming it, help please!

ckent

can anyone help me with a challenge? I have read through some amazing posts where people are able to incredibly name films on very little information.

This is an old vampire film, and the only thing I remember about it is the end scene, when the hero climbs to the top of a barn, and by moving the ceiling fan in the proper way, manuevers the shadow of the ceiling fan to fall upon the vampire on the floor of the barn, trapping him in the cross, and killing him. Can anybody help please? thank you so much.

Sounds very much like Hammers' Brides Of Dracula, which ends with Peter Cushing (as Van Helsing) trapping Dracula in the shadow of the vanes of a windmill, cast in moonlight. Certainly a unique, memorable vampire demise.

• 2 months later...

The movie was Brides of Dracula. Peter Cushing jumped on a vane of a windmill to cast a shadow of a cross (from the moonlight) on actor David Peel as "Baron Mienster". It was a great film! Peel's vampire was unique, as he was a blonde and wore a gray cape as opposed to a vampire with dark hair and black cape. I absolutely loved Andre Melley's portrayal as "Gina", who turned from a gentle school teacher into a menacing, dark-eyed, toothy vampire. She was the best! Frieda Jackson was fantastic as Greta. Loved how she cackled and laughed! Yvonne Monlaur "Marianne", was lovely. I wish "Brides" would be put on DVD alone, as I don't care for the Hammer Collection it is is grouped with. Also, the visual quality is not there. I have it on VHS. One day, I know it will snap. I would very much like to see a "where are they now" film on the surviving actors of this film. I was shocked to realize that David Peel would have been in his 80's if he had still been alive. I wish more atmospheric vampire films would be made. Today's vampire films are ugly, gang-like and vulgar.

Message was edited by:

M1951

"I would very much like to see a "where are they now" film on the surviving actors of this film. I was shocked to realize that David Peel would have been in his 80's if he had still been alive."

Perhaps this is a morose reply, but considering the context of the living dead, maybe it's appropriate. You see, almost all of the featured players from Brides of Dracula have passed on. You mentioned Andree Melly, who played "Gina"; and she's still around. Yvonne Monlaur ("Marianne Danielle") is still alive too. But Peter Cushing, Martita Hunt, Freda Jackson, David Peel, Miles Malleson, Henry Oscar, and Mona Washbourne are all gone.

> You see, almost all of the featured players from Brides of Dracula have passed on.

But are they really dead? Sometimes late at night, when everyone else is asleep, I think I see them out of the corner of my eye. They're pale and grayish -- almost as though all the blood had been drained from their bodies. They seem to float, and they suddenly appear and disappear. Then I turn off TCM, and I don't see them any more. It's spooky.

DavidE

http://www.filmzoid.com

• 2 weeks later...

Jack, you know, I never thought about the other actors being dead! (I'm laughing.) You are so right. Did I think they'd all live on? I am really laughing, now! Well, they do in film, and I will have to be happy for that. I did see a picture of Yvonne Monlaur as she looks today; very much a grandmother, but stylish. I saw a tiny one of Andre Melly and she appeared to be blond, much to my surprise! I tried to contact both of them by letter to thank them for the joy they gave to me and my sisters and brother, but no luck in finding an address. No, you were not morose in your reply, and I thank you for the update. : ]