Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3D movies are to me very enjoyable. Unfortunately many movies orginally filmed in 3D are only released in 2D format. Examples are "Creature From The Black Lagoon", "House of Wax" and John Wayne's "Hondo" I guess 3D glasses are hard to come by or there aren't good prints to transfer to DVD or the cost to make glasses is too high. Whatever the reason I would like see both 2D and 3D versions if possible. Two modern day movies are "The Adventures of Sharkboy And Lavagirl", and "Spy Kids 3D". Great effects and both 2D and 3D versions. What's your take?

Kitsy, I recall seeing "House of Wax" with Vincent Price in 3-D and it was a hoot. Certain scenes were very impressive especially the guy hitting the rubber balls with the paddle, outside the wax museum. It appeared that the balls were just above your heads. Of course there were scarier scenes inside the wax museum in 3-D.

Intersting is the fact that the movie was directed by Andre De Toth who only had the use of one eye and couldn't see the effects of 3-D.

I guess you could say that you never saw it in 3D. In 2D or otherwise it's still one of my favorite movies and along with "The Wolf Man" and "Frankenstein" it occupies the DVD collection as a classic Horror film.

House of Wax was shone on TV in 3D many years ago and I recorded it on my VCR. Also "Gorilla At Large", "Hondo", and "Bwana Devil". The great thing is I never tire of things being thrown at you from the screen. Maybe 3D Doesn't appeal to everyone because of the cumbersome glasses, but I get a kick out of them.

Unfortunately I wasn't around when those films were shown in 3D but I love them all. The creature is one of my favorites and I was wondering about the scene in which he comes out of the water opening and closing his mouth with his gills moving. He also had his arms stretched out, so I'm guessing it was impressive to see it in 3D.

• 1 year later...

I've seen pretty much every film that was made in 3D, in 3D, including the then X-Rated, The Stewardesses and Andy Warhol's Frankenstein. The best ones, imo, are Dial M for Murder, House of Wax and Friday the 13th, Part 3. The otherwise lousy Kiss Me Kate, is almost excellent in 3D! The worst are Jaws 3D (as it was called when released), and Robot Monster. The current Beowulf is also impressive.

Holy Crap...I saw Warhol's 3D Frankenstein. Didn't think anybody else did. Funny. I just saw the IMAX "Beowulf" and I couldn't resist reaching out trying to touch things. That combined with a good strong story made for a good time.

Oh yeah, and Angelina Jolie...

I saw it in regular 3 - D had to pay extra but was worth it.

Funny, I thought only IMAX 3-D had higher ticket prices. But I guess the new hi-tech 3-D kinda makes it worthwhile, even in non-IMAX presentations.

Do you think 3-D will finally catch on?

Loved "Beowulf" which I watched in 3-D and it was amazing! I loved that hunky hero, especially when he revealed all (well, NEARLY all) and dropped trou and everything else in his battle with that hideous creature. It was extremely irritating the way the movie creators strategically hid the manly assets of the hero so that you were never treated to all the goodies. Not that I, ah hem, was there just for that reason but they did show all of Angelina Jolie--so why not give us hunk lovers equal time? But all-in-all, I hope many more movies will be filmed in 3-D. It's worth the extra dollars. Too bad "The Golden Compass" wasn't filmed in 3-D.

The extra price was for the high quality plastic glasses not the cheap cardboard ones. Will 3- D catch on? - the technology has improved but you need good movies to match it and directors who know how to use the 3 - D effect.

Loved "Beowulf" which I watched in 3-D and it was amazing! I loved that hunky hero, especially when he revealed all (well, NEARLY all) and dropped trou and everything else in his battle with that hideous creature. It was extremely irritating the way the movie creators strategically hid the manly assets of the hero so that you were never treated to all the goodies. Not that I, ah hem, was there just for that reason but they did show all of Angelina Jolie--so why not give us hunk lovers equal time? But all-in-all, I hope many more movies will be filmed in 3-D. It's worth the extra dollars. Too bad "The Golden Compass" wasn't filmed in 3-D.

Well, for whatever reason that I won't go into, I would imagine that rendering Beowulf's "manly assets" in all their 3-D glory would have likely cost the movie its current rating, so you can say all you want about the unfairness of double standards, but that's just the way it is, and we can all thank the MPAA for it!

• 1 year later...

This is kind of a late reply, I know, but *Coraline* is probably one of the best, if not the best 3D movie ever made. It is from Henry Selick, the director of *The Nightmare Before Christmas* and *James and the Giant Peach*. Since it was also made with stop-motion animation, the 3D process came naturally.

And the Digital 3D process really rocks.