Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GarboManiac

Hedy Lamarr: The Most Beautiful Star!

Garbomaniac

I will let you know what I think when I see her films! I can't wait...I was excited when I received my Now Playing guide that she has a day! :)

TMS

Ok, TMS. I will be looking forward to your responses, and remember she is not Duse!

I wasn't going to respond right away, but when I saw that new thread on WHAT NEW MOVIES DO YOU THINK WILL BE CLASSIC, I almost had a heart attack. I decided Hedy was coming back to first place in the forum!

I have to admit I haven't seen any of Hedy's movies except My Favorite Spy but this thread has certainly brought her to my attention.

I'll be sure to check out "The Most Beautiful Woman in Films" next month!

More nice pics. There's something about her in that black veil...

B-movie My Favorite Spy airs tonight.

Bob Hope stars, and, oh yeah, Hedy Lamarr.

You are on the job, Snarfie! But, remember this is NOT one of her best films. In fact she is 37 (heading for the big 4-0, and looking fabulous), and she only has three more films to make, one foreign, one miscast, and one really pretty good for a finale.

Hedy Lamarr and Bob Hope have just started in MY FAVORITE SPY on TCM here on the west coast, 8:00. Enjoy the film! This is her film immediately following Samson and Delilah!

Well, she was beautiful anyway... Her performances often seem so studied though. Her lines are said as if spoken by rote. At least in the fight scene, she finally broke loose and looked spontaneous. Before the broadcast Mr. Osborn said that Miss Lamarr looked forward to playing in a comedy; then discovered that Bob Hope wanted her to play the "straight man" for his comic antics. "She never forgave him." But it takes skill be a good straight man (paging Margaret Dumont... White Courtesy Phone, Miss Dumont...); it's too bad she didn't cull some enjoyment from the experience.

Does anyone know what she was doing over at Paramount? Was she on loan? Had she left MGM by this point? Was she a "free agent"?

At GarboManiac's behest, I look forward to more of her films, to discover the magic...

~~~~~~~~~~

Message was appended by JackBurley:

As a second thought, off-topic side-note: I noticed Michael Ansara was in this picture; an actor (once married to Barbara Eden) who is still making movies today...

>>"Does anyone know what she was doing over at Paramount? Was she on loan? Had she left MGM by this point? Was she a "free agent"?"

If I'm not mistaken, her contract with MGM was up by that point. She'd already made two other films for Paramount prior to My Favorite Spy (and returned to MGM for one film between those two).

"If I'm not mistaken, her contract with MGM was up by that point. She'd already made two other films for Paramount prior to My Favorite Spy (and returned to MGM for one film between those two)."

Thanks Mr. Plumtree! I wonder if she was under contract to Paramount, or if she was freelance? Have you a favorite Lamarr picture that I should watch for?

>>"Thanks Mr. Plumtree! I wonder if she was under contract to Paramount, or if she was freelance? Have you a favorite Lamarr picture that I should watch for?"

I could be wrong, but I don't think she had any real obligations to Paramount and was basically taking things film by film at that point. She was pretty much freelance after MGM.

Come Live with Me is prob'ly my favorite Hedy film if I had to name one, though I think I've watched The Heavenly Body more than any of her others (simply 'cause she looks so good in it).

Here is a fun picture of Hedy, Basil and Doug, Jr. Don't know who Doug is with, but look at the way she is looking at Hedy! Like she can't take her eyes off!

52_1.JPG

Nice to have you around Leopold! I am sorry I had to leave last night, but my schedule has changed, and I am up at five now. You are right. She was free lancing during this time, so she did what she wanted, but unfortunately wasn't always the best judge of a script.

And, Jack, you are right. Her performances are always like that. She is a little stiff. I am sure that is just who she was. She was a LADY, after all, and very elegant. I have seen her in a couple of documentaries where she was just being herself, and she acted the same way. But, you get used to it.

It didn't seem to bother the public. She was up on that screen for one reason, and she wouldn't have even had to speak or move!

So, my advice to Hedy watchers is to just enjoy her presence. Her career lasted from 38 to 58. That's twenty years on the screen. Pretty good for someone everybody panned, except for her face!

Oh, and Leopold, you are right. She looks "breathtakingly beautiful" in Heavenly Body. I have seen that one countless times as well, even though it is a silly movie. The vehicle doesn't seem to matter if you are a Lamarr fan. All you want to do is stare at her!

Hi GM,

The lady is Mary Fairbanks, Doug's wife.

I stayed up late last night to watch "My Favourite Spy". This was made around the time that I knew her and saw her in Acapulco. I remember the shorter hair.

Can't say I'm a fan of Bob Hope; he does go on & on and his jokes are glued to the times the films were made. There was one phone reference to Harry Truman and his daughter, Margaret, about her bad reviews in a town for her piano playing. If you didn't live back then, you wouldn't get it........

Loved Hedy in that white beaded gown, that's our girl. She looked good and slim. And, we have Pamela Anderson now...... Can you image her in that dress with those gigantic melons --- Yoozuss.......

I didn't stay up past Hedy's singing - no that great. And, the movie and Bob were starting to irritate me, so went to bed...... Just looked upward and said, "Hedy, you'll have to go on without me!!"......

But, it was good to see her again.

Larry

Wonderful picture, GM. It has that luminescent quality that b/w films have (I didn't know there was silver in films -- do I have that right? -- which gave the otherworldly quality to b/w films) and the stars all look so beautiful.

They couldn't have been very old, any of them, right? Can you imagine the schmos from today in that kind of setting, in that kind of clothing? Yes, some actors today clean up pretty well, but then they open their mouths and class will out.

I wonder if Basil Rathbone were around today, and if he at 35 years old would wear flip flops, a tee shirt, and jeans on the Jay Leno show, as I saw the ever classy Bruce Willis do one evening?

*sigh* -- born too late.

dolores

And, we have Pamela Anderson now...... Can you image her in that dress with those gigantic melons --- Yoozuss.......

Hah, great minds, etc. Larry.

No, as I said, class will out. Pam would be hiking up said gown to show off the tattoos on her fabled bottom.

:(

dolores

"I didn't stay up past Hedy's singing - not that great."

Her singing voice was Martha Mears, a voice we came to know as the larynx for Rita Hayworth's Cover Girl, Lucille Ball's The Big Street and Marjorie Reynolds' Holiday Inn and so many more. I thought it was an interesting choice; the timbre was just a little husky. I was imagining myself as producer with the large menu of voices that were available in Hollywood at the time and was guessing which voice I would choose to pair with the lovely Lamarr...

Hi, guys! Can you believe I forgot to check this thread this afternoon?

Anyway, Stoney, you are right about the silver. Silver nitrate, I believe. One of the more technical guys could probably confirm and explain that one. And, no Basil would not. He was class personified! They all look like they are in their thirties, but not much older. Could be their late twenties. What a party! What a time!

Larry, so that is, Mary, his wife. Had no idea. She looks like she has never seen anything like Hedy before! It was such a great pic I couldn't resist posting it! And, loved the crack about Pam and her gigunda casabas! No worries about going to bed; I did, too! Really pretty bad. But, she was lovely in every gown, with not much to do except walk around and say her lines.

Thanks, Jack for the info on that voice. I thought I recognized it, and you're right! It certainly wasn't HEDY! Someone with a higher voice, maybe, I'm sure her voice would go up when she sang, not down. Anyway, glad you watched it, bad as it was. Can't wait for next month, but it is all the way to the end of the month. Except that Crossroads is on Tuesday the 8th @ 9 A.M.