Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GarboManiac

Hedy Lamarr: The Most Beautiful Star!

back in the 1970's when i was a teenager my brother brought home a paperback copy of lamarr's 'ecstasy and me' from work. i had never seen such a beautiful woman, and that book and hedy opened up for me a lifetime love affair with classic films.... hedy will always have a special place in my heart.

Hooray!! Can't get enough stories like that, marcco44! Thanks, for joining us. And, have you been following the Summer Under the Stars list? Hedy will be on, along with many other favorite, brilliant stars, on the 28th.

Oh, and by the way, I have, of course, read Ecstasy and Me, as well. I have two hard bounds and one soft cover. I still refer to it every now and then.

You know, I can't fight against Liz Taylor! When I look at her face and body, and the times in which she lived as a product of the era, I have to admit she was the Most Beautiful Woman in the World. TCM has dubbed her that, and I am not going to fight it! It really is too difficult with today's generation. But, I am not of today's generation. I am of an era of style, class, and sophistication, and Lamarr is the Most Beautiful Star. Up until that time no one had seen anything like her and even today she rivals Liz, except for the bust! But, back then, busts were not in vogue. Only since the Fifties have busts been the focus. So, Liz wins, but only because of lust and sex. If you want to talk about class, if you want to talk about sophistication, then Lamarr is the LADY for you!

GM, I like the fact that she was intelligent and used her intelligence as well as her beauty. Beauty is, after all, only the luck of the draw when it comes to genes, but the fact that Hedy made use of her brain impresses me. Even Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones, which I don't like, impresses me, since he made a corporation out of his band, whilst the Beatles sold their song rights to the cretin Michael Jackson.

Do you have any later photos of her? I didn't realize she lived until the year 2000. Did you ever write to her? One of these days, I have to write to Lizabeth Scott, to tell her how much I admire her.

I'm curious to see how Hedy looked in her later years. I admire those, lik Myrna Loy, who retained their good looks until their later years and didn't appear to resort to the Knife Fairy for their self worth.

dolores

GM,

I've read "Ecstasy and Me" too, and I think anyone who is interested in the Hollywood phenomenon should read it. It's not just a recital of the interesting events of Hedy's life, but gives her astute observations about the Hollywood experience.

The more I learn about her, the more I like her. Beautiful, principled, and brainy!

I like Hedy Lamarr. She's beautiful and looks something like another attractive actress: Vivien Leigh.

> the Beatles sold their song rights to the cretin

> Michael Jackson.

You get no argument on Jackson being a cretin but The Beatles didn't really sell their song rights. They never really owned them. They had fought for years to acquire them. The holder took Jackson's offer rather than McCartney's. They do own the recordings which is why you don't hear those in ads or available for downloading.

pimple on the **** of mankind

LOL...Now that is funny! I needed a laugh..thanks TOOMANYNOTES!

But you are right! ;)

GarboManiac,

I was planning on posting some smart **** message like, "how can this Hedy Lamarr topic remain 'bumped' to the top of this forum?!" Well, I saw your photo of Hedy and Tracy and Taylor and that other guy. I want to see more photos like that...keep bumping!

Rusty

Thanks, TOOMANY and everyone! But, I am just promoting her as I see fit! I feel like her agent! Ha! If I were, she would still be working!

Rusty, I could have handled that razz, and understood completely. I, too, have commented on the "seemingly monotonous" return of this thread to the top, but that's just the way it is, for now. (Oh, and did you see the pic of her with Basil and Doug on the last page?)

jdb and stoney, I admire her brains, too! I think Ecstasy and Me should be read by everyone. It is QUITE a book.

Someone needs to post all of that info on her being an inventor, again. I think it was David, but can't remember. She really was a brainiac.

Yes, I did write to her once with no response. And, unfortunately, I have no truly older pics of her. I have never seen any. I have of Garbo, but not Lamarr.

Oh, PERFECT, stoney! Thank you soooo much! It is important to remember that she really was a major contributor to our modern technology, and I love that picture of her in the second posting! Hope everyone tasks the time to glance at these! The boards are pretty hoppin' right now!!!

Okay,I think that Hedy Lamarr is really an amazing example of beauty and elegance. I don't care if anyone thinks that sounds strange coming from a, I was going to say 100% red-blooded American woman but I will correct it by saying 50% German-American-50% Puerto Rican (which is really Spanish).I can still see when a woman is pretty, and I completely understand your FASCINATION,(that's also the title of one of my favorite songs) .

Oh heck, cinemabuff64, not to worry. I am a second generation 100% Eyetalian female and know cherce wimmen flesh when I see it.

Carole Lombard and Hedy Lamarr are cherce, fer sure.

:)

Not familiar with the song 'Fascination' though. Although I am currently listening to Leonard Cohen and my brain is scrambled into watery eggs with his voice.

I am with you on that one, CB! Times are long gone when a woman couldn't compliment another woman or comment on her, and likewise for men. Men know when other men are taller, better looking or more muscular. The only reason they don't comment is because of the Gay factor, but that just doesn't matter to many people anymore. More and more people are just speaking out in all different directions, now. And, anyone is more than welcome to compliment Miss Lamarr!