Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hedy Lamarr: The Most Beautiful Star!

More and more people are just speaking out in all different directions, now. And, anyone is more than welcome to compliment Miss Lamarr!

Absolutely, GM. And to quote my favorite show, "not that there's anything wrong with that". :)

Beauty is beauty. It's true for Rodin and it's true for Hedy.

OK GM,

I'm going to take Hedy in a whole new direction; just for you; just to keep her on top of the boards!!!!

Through her 2nd husband, Gene Markey, she is connected to Joan Bennett and Walter Wanger; and to Myrna Loy and Arthur Honblow; and another degree removed to Constance Bennett and Gilbert Roland and the Marquis Henri de la Falaise de Coudray and Gloria Swanson; and Barbara Bennett and Morton Downey.

Through her 4th husband, Teddy Stauffer, she is connected to Faith Domergue and Howard Hughes and Terry Moore and Jean Peters and Stuart Cramer.

Through her 5th husband, Howard Lee, she is connected to Gene Tierney and Oleg Cassini and Prince Aly Khan and John Kennedy and Jackie Kennedy and Aristotle Onassis and Maria Callas.

This is a little like '6 degrees of'....

But work your way around all of this to keep the thread going.

Don't say I never gave you anything to figure out.

Larry

Hi GM,

Yes, Constance married Gilbert Roland after the Marquis. Gilbert Roland had been the lover of Norma Talmadge before that. So perhaps we could include dear old Norma in the melee.......

Also, stretching it now -- you can include me, as the Marquis was a first cousin of my grandfather. But, let's not.......

Larry

GM,

As a Canadian citizen, my father, brother and I can no longer use titles.

Although in France, we can; but since there no longer is a monarchy in France (it's a republic), titles are redundant.

But - shhh! - I do sometimes travel as a VIP under my title............ You have no idea the **** kissing that results...

Larry

Well, believe it or not I keep Greta all to myself, like she would want it. Her pics and books and magazines are all over my house. If any one came here they would see how much of a Garbo maniac I am.

But, Hedy is public. So, I go out with her!!!

That is some kind of appetizer I think. It is a mound of frozen slush with onions and radishes, etc. Kinda weird.

Hello Stoneyburke! in answer to your question about the song, "Fascination", I believe it was written in the 1940's (yes, I'm a classic music lover as well), the first version I heard was Julio Iglesias way back in the 80's when I first started living here on the island.My mother told me that it was a remake, I'm not sure if it is a Nat King Cole original, Tony Bennett, I can't remember.If you like Leonard Cohen you would like this song,it's a romantic song and if you cared to dance to it you could dance the waltz.Some of my favorite cd's in my collection are Nat King Cole,Billie Holliday,Perry Como, Tony Bennett,B.B. King,Frank Sinatra, I even have a Dean Martin with his greatest hits, That's amore! I purchased a Pavarotti cd in Houston once in a pawn shop and it is amazing, it's titled "PAVAROTTI & friends 2" it has an amazing mix of contemporary songs with their artists and great opera classics such as;AVE MARIA,O SOLE MIO,SANTA LUCIA LUNTANA.I like to listen to opera while I'm writing my poetry or short stories, etc.sometimes it's in the background while I'm here posting.

GM,

I think that is Howard Lee, husband #5, a Texas oilman (read millionaire here)...

It resembles him but I'm not up on my Hedy husbands as much as my Lana ones.... Howard Lee went on to marry Gene Tierney.

That thing in front of them looks like a 'bombe', a French dessert that you set on fire... That looks like a dessert plate in front of Hedy, so it wouldn't be an appetizer....

Larry

Can you believe that just the other day my daughter and I were watching a movie and I watched the ending until the musical credits came up and the person who sang the song I liked was precisely Diana Krall.I don't remember the name of the song, remember it is a classic, and I just loved her voice.Before that,all I remember associating with her name is her husband,Elvis Costello, and reading the other day that she is pregnant with her first child at 41, so she is in my age gap.I'm going to see if Borders has any of her cd's because I am definitely interested in her voice and music.

Stoney, the earliest version of "Fascination" I remember is the hit version sung by Jane Morgan. Must've been the mid-50s. I think Dinah Shore also recorded it, but the Morgan version was the one I remember as the bigger success.

Jane Morgan lived in France, and recorded many English-language versions of Edith Piaf's songs.

Didn't know that about her being pregnant, good for her. She's very pretty.

cinemabuff64, if you like the husky voiced songs of old with plenty of liquor and smoke present, you'll like her. If you like Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits, you'll like her!

She evokes that era...my favorite of hers is 'Cry Me A River', which I first came to know from a Scottish show about an ME whose name now escapes me.

jdb1, I love Edith Piaf. Another plaintive singer whom I favor.

larry, that makes sense! A bombe -- never seen one that big.

dolores

Hi Nakano,

Thanks for that....... I knew it wasn't Teddy Stauffer, as I knew him fairly well over the years, but I didn't really know what Howard Lee looked like. I've seen a picture of him with Gene Tierney in the newspapers and thought he looked a little bug-eyed, thus my guess about the guy in the picture.

That picture you talk about would be very ironic to someone in the 'know'... as Myrna was once married to Arthur Hornblow.. Was this a case of switch husbands and dance????

Gene Markey ended up quite well for a cad. His last wife was very rich and owned a Kentucky horse breeding and racing ranch. He ended his days either lounging on a horse ranch or on the sands of his Palm Beach mansion....

He had a daughter, Melinda with Joan Bennett and a son, James with Hedy Lamarr and promptly dumped them along with his ex-wives. Cad - George Sanders could have taken lessons; although my candidate for worst louse and cad in Hollywood will always be Jerry Lewis (but that's another story).

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry