Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hedy Lamarr: The Most Beautiful Star!

GarboManiac

I researched the Nat King Cole idea I had and, yes, he did also sing "Fascination",I would love to hear it by Jane Morgan,seems I heard her voice once in passing and someone told me it was her, don't have a lot of knowledge about her but am willing to expand it.What else did she sing?I know quite a lot about Dinah Shore singing,liked her talk show in the 70's,LOL! Oh, her boyfriend back then was cute to, Burt Reynolds,LOL!

I liked her talk show, too. But, by then, IMO she had lost her voice.

I remember Fascination being sung by Margaret Whiting or Jo Stafford or someone. I have never heard Jane Morgan sing, either.

How did we get on singers, anyway?

I'm sorry, I am the guilty one who started the singer posts,but it was in passing, I ended a sentence with the word fascination and in parentheses put how it is one of my favorite songs and STONEYBURKE picked it up and we kind of just kept talking about classic singers,songs,remakes of classic songs,etc.Sorry GB didn't mean to take over your thread.

Oh, that's ok CB. There is little anyone can do on these boards to upset me anymore, even if I do go off, it is more for me than to get back at someone! I usually just roll with the punches, now.

Truth is, I was just too lazy to go look for the source!!

Damn the Torpedoes, Full Speed A-Hedy!

HEDY LAMARR and GEORGE ANTHEIL knew they had found something potentially valuable to the war effort. They sent their invention to the National Inventors Council, who encouraged them to patent it. The two inventors worked with an MIT electrical engineer to iron out some technical kinks, and submitted their patent proposal in 1941. On August 11, 1942, LAMARR and ANTHEIL were awarded US Patent Number 2,292,387 for their Secret Communications System.

Microtimes tells the complete story in "The Birth Of Spread Spectrum: How 'The Bad Boy Of Music' and 'The Most Beautiful Girl In The World' Catalyzed A Wireless Revolution." (7/16/97)

Man was she beautiful great shots, GarboManiac I never really knew alot about her what is her story .What other movies was she in, I seen some but would like to know more I can't get over her hair it is so gee I can't think of a word .Stars of that time had such beautiful faces and hair just elegant .

Hey, Inglis. Hedy is known as a raven-haired beauty. I always love to tell the tale of Lamarr:

She was born beautiful.

Grew up rich.

Married well.

Became a movie star.

And, died in her sleep.

I always tell my classes about her and ask, "Who wants to sign up for that life?" Everyone raises their hands!

Of course it was not quite that simple, but pretty much she had it made! Plus, she was very intelligent, a fact often overlooked.

Okay, I told myself I would not comment in this thread because it seems to get resurrected every day (garbomaniac ;-) ) and doesn?t need any help from me. Then I read your comment regarding Spread Spectrum and had to go hunting the net. I found this interesting link from a tech site that blew me away.

Although I don?t necessarily think she was the most beautiful star (I?m still battling between Gene Tierney and Liz) you are beginning to make a convert out of me. Great story and I am truly impressed.

http://www.bluetoothnews.com/hedy_lamarr_story.htm

Well, monty, at least I agree with the comptetion! Gene and Liz, (Well, not Liz, as I said earlier in the thread, I can't fight her. The world thinks she is the most beautiful now, and she is more up-to-date than Hedy, so to Liz I would concede the title, but only begrudgingly.) but Gene is one of the most beautiful women who ever lived. She is in my top eight favorite gals, so I certainly understand. But, if you can see your way clear to make room for Hedy, then I have done my job. She was certainly an exceptional human being.

BTW, that was a great story! Very nice reading, thank you!

And, TOOMANY, great analogy! Ha!

> .... how about... this thread has had more visitors

> than Crawford?s boudoir.

>

> Hedy, Liz and Gene, all raven haired beauties yet

> today?s hollywood is full of bottled blondes... what

> a shame.

Monty, forgive me for quibbling, but actually I thought what you said was kinda cute.

Just for future reference, it's "bottle blondes," not "bottled blondes." I'm sure you know that it refers to the use of a bottle of peroxide to achieve blondeness, and not to a blonde being stored in a bottle. I guess in these days of spray-on hair coloring, this phrase is becoming archaic. I could refer to myself as a "plastic tube brunette."

Wow, David! Thanks so much. Unbelievable! Now, everyone can have a Hedy Desktop Background, YEAH!!!! Ok, everyone, which one will you pick?

(Ha! Like that's gonna happen!)

Anyway, thanks David. I really do appreciate it, and I will use them!

Very funny, jdb! I don't know how good natured Mont is (you know how sensitive most of us get when corrected, even in the slightest), but that was very amusing! I prefer bottled blondes, myself! Bottle blondes are just silly! Don't you agree, Montgomery?

I watched My Favorite Spy when it was on last week.

Robert Osbourne mentioned that there were two different

My Favorite Spy movies - this one and one with Kay Kyser & Jane Wyman.

That's the one I've seen before.

I think this was probably a good Hedy Lamarr introductory movie for me.

I was anxious to hear what her voice sounded like and I wasn't

disappointed, it's quite pleasant.

If her career was in decline at this point she still had the goods.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of her other/ better movies on the 28th.

Of August, that is.

Call me Monty and I do agree GarboM. Bottled Blondes is my preference and I am sticking to it but I appreciate the two cents jdb. As a matter of fact, I am going to put them in this bottle right here ... ??clink?? ??doink??... that was the sound of 2 pennies hitting the head of Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Well, I am pretty good natured so rib away. I do turn into a spitfire when cornered but from some of the things I?ve read on these threads over the last two weeks, me-thinks-me-not-the-only-one.

Archived