Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GarboManiac

Hedy Lamarr: The Most Beautiful Star!

Below is another example of confusion. This picture is on google as Lamarr as well as several other sites. That is a picture of Joan Bennett after she dyed her hair to look like Lamarr. It changed her career! As I have stated before, Cole Porter's famous lyric, "Let's speak of Lamarr, that Hedy so fair, why does she let Joan Bennett wear her old hair?"

The other example, several pages back, is Vivien Liegh as Hedy Lamarr.

Sheez, how could they get them confused?

GarboManiac, we once had a board member who was the ultimate Hedy Lamarr fan. His name was Antar and he adored her, and kept us all posted about about her upcoming films on TCM.

He would be in seventh heaven if he saw the gorgeous pictures of her that you have been posting.

Antar, where are you?

Wow! That IS a shame Antar is no longer around. But, I guess people come and go due to life changes and altering interests as we march along. Maybe that is why I came along. I always find the series of life's events so formidably mystifying and bewildering.

Glad I could step into his shoes.

Well, GB, for once I'm going to disagree with you about the comment that the star's beauty was most apparent in their youth.I think there is an age where Elizabeth Taylor,Loretta Young,Raquel Welch and Cyd Charisse became even more beautiful and it must be sometime when they were in their early thirties. That's just my opinion mind you.

I agree,especially in regard to Loretta,Raquel,and Cyd!! But I believe that Ms Young and Ms Welch got better after forty!!

HI GM et al,

I think that Joan Bennett put on a dark wig in the movie "Trade Winds" (1938) to disguise herself as she was on the run.

Although I've never seen that film, I read that she was on the lam and put on this wig and voila! - everyone was flabbergasted that she resembled Hedy Lamarr. Especially since Joan had just been married to Gene Markey and now Hedy was waltzing him down the aisle.

Joan's husband at the time, Walter Wanger, suggested that Joan keep that look and after much humming and hawing Joan then dyed her hair Hedy brown......

In an interview years later, Ann Sothern stated that Hedy just laughed and Joan insisted that she only went brown because everybody thought she was Constance Bennett; they always confused the two sisters......

Larry

Ok, I'm back. I had to run some errands. I agree completely (and I disagree completely!) Ha! It is true, on the one hand, that certain stars did get better with age. Sophia Loren for one! But, not Hedy. At least not for me. She was always beautiful, but when she did her first three pics, Algiers, Lady of the Tropics and I Take this woman, I was just bowled over. Then, of course from 40 to 44 she was just plain breathtaking. But, after 44 she was just beautiful. Most of the pics I prefer are from those early days. I feel the same way about Garbo and Dietrich.

But, you are right! Bergman, Lombard and O'Hara, and the others you mentioned looked better as they aged.

Hi,

I have been busy with meetings and things and then was taken out, as a surprise, to our new Russian restaurant.

6 of us all ordered different things and then ate off each others plates - bad idea. I hate people who eat off others plates but I was the guest and didn't protest and whoopsey, it all backfired yesterday.

So, I've not been down a hole but perched on one, so to speak. I'm still a-growling but better.

Tomorrow, I have to attend a luncheon with 3 aldermen/alderwomen and a committe I'm on, so I may have to go out and buy June Allyson Depend Undergarments.......

Larry

Oh, I sympathize! I hate eating off other's plates as well. Glad you're back, but sorry you feel so bad.

That picture of Bennett and the one of Vivien, pages back, are being SOLD as Hedy! I just can't understand. Either they think they can just make a quick buck, and who'll know the difference, or they are just stupid.

Oh, and what kind of food is Russian, besides Stroganoff?

GM,

OK, you wanted to know, so here goes:

1) caviar, Volga black

2) selyodka, chopped herring & corn salad

3) holodets, chicken & veal w. chopped cabbage

4) stroganoff, beef or chicken or pork w. noodles

5) dolmasy, stuffed eggplant

6) golubtsy, stuffed cabbageleaves w. rice, hamburger & mushrooms

7) shaslyk, kabob of lamb, beef, onoin, tomatoes & peppers

8) pokievki, chicken cutlet

9) podgzhybek, potatoes stuffed w. mushrooms & onions

I've had all of this before in Russia and New York City too but something was off. My guess is the lamb...... I hear that Little Bow Peep is a filthy b-t-h!!!!!!

Larry

Hi again,

About your pictures being misrepresented:

Not very many people know the stars of today let alone yesterday and certainly not 50 years ago.

You and some of us others here are in a minority.

Several years ago, I was shown an old scrapbook that a friends grandmother had kept and it had the names of many, many players under pictures of the supposed right player.

I found at least 10 mistakes. Jeanne Crain and Jane Russell were mixed up and so on; and these were cards sold to this poor old lady by fan clubs.

In 1998, I made the rounds around the MGM Grand in Vegas and they even had mistakes under their pictures. -- Heddy La Mar, Sterlin Haydon, Jane Hagen and Robin Montgomery.

Ann Miller was named Maureen O'Sullivan and Franchot Tone became Robert Taylor.

I promptly went to the managers office and demanded he accompany me to correct these mistakes. We were expecting Ann Miller in 2 days and she was on the MGM Board then and had comped my room, so this guy hopped to it.

Things weren't really corrected though, he just took the pictures down....... Dolt !!

Larry

Oh, you know how people are. He was probably more concerned that you were correcting him, instead of being concerned about the integrity of the Hotel, or the pictures of the stars. People are too much!

And, that menu looks very interesting. I am a pseudo vegetarian. I eat chicken and fish, but rarely. So, the lamb would just not be anything I would have eaten! However, that eggplant sounded wonderful! But, with what was it stuffed?

Thanks, Metry! Now, that's a new one on me! I don't think I have seen that picture before! I know I haven't. Can you believe it? I have seen a Carole Lombard similar to that one, though.

Hi GM,

Dolmasy is eggplant stuffed with a tangy wild rice, pimento and diced sauteed onion. I love it.

I just arrived home from my luncheon -- Lord!! elected officials are stupid -- and got a long itinerary from my Russian guide, Sasha, all in Russian.

I know Russian fairly well but haven't practiced it in years. Last time I was there (2002), everybody wanted to practice their English, so boy am I rusty.

I could be approving being sent to the salt mines in Siberia for all I know.....

If you don't hear from me after Sept. 30th, send out a search party; huskies preferable!!

Larry

"There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission."

Yes TMN,

You are now tuned into Chef Larry, Emeril lagasse's sous chef...

All together now - mix, mix, mix - knead, knead, knead - and roll that dough......

Hurry up now, TMN, you'll be tardy for your baking class!!!

Larry