Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GarboManiac

Hedy Lamarr: The Most Beautiful Star!

That's how it was!

That reminds me,I saw "The African Queen" last night for the first time(can you believe it?!),and though it was a very good movie,Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn has to be one of the strangest screen couplings anyone ever came up with! I wonder what the set(on location in Africa) was like? Bacall was there to keep Bogey company. She was another who could keep up with the guys,it seemed,but remain womanly while doing so-they'd be buddies with her,I'd think,but they'd never forget that she was all woman! That's a great quality for a woman,I think.

OTOH,Colbert was known in real life for her chic. I suppose there are ways and ways of being able to keep up with the guys-you can unsex yourself,so to speak,to do so,or you can be a woman enjoying "guy stuff" with them-I'm not explaining this well,but I know what I mean!

Katherine Hepburn was in some strange category of her own-I can't imagine her ever being with any other man besides Spencer Tracy,and she always made me cringe for her,in some of her early movies,when she tried to be "cute",as was the fashion then-it was just embarrassing on her.

Oh, I am sure, dpd! Hepburn was from Boston, so she was a lady first, but she match any man at anything, I am sure! That was part of her appeal.

Now, TOOMANYNOTES! I can't watch her now without noticing her neck!!! I just watched The Palm Beach Story again, which is one of my all time favorites, but I kept staring at her NECK! It isn't so bad!

But, you know the problem is when you watch GARBO, my GOSH what a gorgeous neck she had, and she knew how to use it! Then, you look at Colbert and say . . . .

Oh, yes, Colbert wore clothes beautifully! And, that was one of the amazing qualities of the old gals. They used to maintain their femininity while matching the guys drink for drink! I miss that! My wife had that quality. I would always have called her a lady, but she could drink like a sailor, and when angry, swear like one too, but never in public!

John Ford and Katherine Hepburn had a 30 year,"love affair".I remember watching Dick Cavett,33yrs. ago,with Kate H being the only guest.The first words out of her mouth,after Cavett's introduction was "Jack Ford died today".

John Ford and Katherine Hepburn!?!? Well, how in the heck did she find time for Spencer? You only get a couple of "30 years" in a lifetime!

Your description of your wife makes me think of Carole Lombard. She was one who could swear with the best,and after she got with Gable,she took up the "great outdoors" in order to share his interests. Before him,she was a 'boudoir girl". But nobody could've looked sweeter or more feminine,and that high forehead and classically-shaped lips made her look intelligent(as indeed she seemed to be :) ) I don't know why Carole Lombard doesn't occur to me more often,I really like her,and think she was a great all-around package.

You know, no disrespect to Greta or Hedy, my two favs, but I always did go for those high forehead gals!!! Carole, Marlene, Paulette! Wow! There is just something so sexy about them. I hate hair on the face! I hate bangs! I used to tell my wife all the time, "Comb your hair back so we can see your forehead!" She had a great forhead, and hair like Rita! She was a redhead. My first wife was a blonde, and everyone said she looked like Dietrich. My second, looked like a cross between Irene Dunn, Greta Garbo, and Joan Fontaine. The one comment everyone makes about her when she is brought up is, "She was so beautiful!" And, I like to think they mean a combination of so many things.

Anyway, Greta and Hedy didn't really have foreheads, but they had the faces!

Miss Hepburn liked drunken Irishmen.Her relationship with Ford NEVER involved intercourse,or so it has been said.There are 30yrs. of "love letters" from Ford to Hepburn.For Ford's sexuality see Maureen O'Hara's autobiography.Its ALL VERY CONFUSING !!

Yeah, ain't it the truth! Some of my fondest memories are those that never really happened!

And, ken, what are you trying to say? Did he have an affair with Maureen?

Miss O'Hara implies(she actually more than implies) that Ford was bi-sexual and was very emotionally distraught about it.This is NOT the only book that says Ford also liked men.See "In Search of John Ford"by Joseph McBride,a Ford admirer.

Oh, interesting! I probably won't have time to look at the book, but I'd say a great deal, if not all, in Hollywood either were or tried it once or twice. I would think he would be a little more comfortable with it in that huge melting pot!

Even though I know that this thread is about the beautiful Hedy I will have to agree that Maureen O'Hara is equally pretty in a different kind of way.Ever since I was a little girl I always loved watching Maureen, she seemed so sure of what she wanted and at times she was very maternal.I always told myself that I would dye my locks red when I grew up and I would try to be like her.I looked up to her.

It is quite alright to love Maureen! She was an exquisitely beautiful woman! I admire her tremendously, too! But, she is no Hedy Lamarr*. Granted she was a more lively actress and perhaps more sincere, but still no Lamarr! Ha!

*Refer to picture, below.

What you said about Lombard reminds me of something I posted on another thread.I included her as being one of the top three favorites due not only to her beauty but her vivacious personality and sense of humor (that in itself is attractive!) She seemed like a handful yet at the same time she was intelligent and endearing.

Boy, you can say that, again! I am sure she was a handful! She went up against Crawford, Shearer, and many other comers! I liked Carole a lot and would watch anything she is in, but she was never one of my personal favorites. I don't know why. But, she just never grabbed me.