Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hedy Lamarr: The Most Beautiful Star!

GarboManiac

It was a great movie. I love Ruth Hussey also(she was great in "Susan And God").

Who says Hedy Lamarr couldn't act? She was subtle in this part, which fit in well with Ruth Hussey's low-key,matter-of-fact style,and Robert Young's style also. It made the film more realistic,less a Hollywood soap opera.

It goes without saying(but I'll say it anyway)that she was of course beautiful. It has to mean a lot,when everyone who ever knew her or worked with her,including other actresses,made a note of her beauty,in a town like Hollywood which was filled with beautiful women.

There's no way that Hedy Lamarr didn't age gracefully,just no way. Her beauty was deep in her bones,not just the surface beauty almost every woman has at a certain point in youth.

It was great. Shortly into the movie,I realised that I'd seen it before,some years back. I just didn't remember the title.

I think that Hedy could've been counted as a top-notch actress,given the right material. Everyone was so aware of her beauty-can't blame them,who wouldn't be?-that maybe it got in the way of recognising her talent. "Bravura" roles,the type that Hollywood usually recognises as "great acting",would never have been her thing. I think that she might've done well in some of the same type roles that Olivia de Havilland,or Vivien Leigh,played. Hedy and Vivien have a lot of similarities,in my opinion,and not just in looks. I think that Hedy could have done some memorable acting,if the producers and directors in Hollywood could've looked past her beauty and given her the roles.

Not to say that she didn't quite well with what she had!

After seeing "Ecstasy" and the fine job that she did in it,there's no way that she couldn't have acted some great parts. And she was just a beginner then. (Already gorgeous though! VERY young-looking in "Ecstasy"). The scene in "Ecstasy" where she lays her head on her father's shoulder is great.

I can't wait for TCM to show it in August,so we can all discuss it. I'd really like to see "Tortiila Flats",it's often mentioned here. And I still haven't watched my DVD copies of "Strange Woman" and "Dishonored Lady"-maybe today,depending on what's on TCM.

OH! You are so right! I know she could have done Ilsa in Casablanca, even though I have resigned myself to the FACT that it is and was Ingrid's role, it was originally meant for Hedy. Another one she would have been great in was Laura, originally meant for her, and Mr. Skeffington (the role of the most beautiful girl in New York who grows old and loses her looks), which Bette played beautifully, but Hedy wouldn't have had to knock herself out! The role of Angelic Pluton (sp?) in Saratoga Trunk was one of the greatest roles ever, for a woman, and again, Ingrid got the part, and was so FANTASTIC in it, it is hers forever (if you have never seen it you MUST; it is Ingrid at her best) ! But, Hedy could have done it. And, she would have been praised for all of those roles! Oh, well, no use cryin' over . . . .

Anyway, like Garbo, I am happy with the work they left no matter what it is! To have made it to the big screen, and to have been a major player is, in itself, is the height of accomplishment! And, although, I consider Garbo and Hedy to be the two most supreme constellations in the Hollywood Heavens, I love so many others that at times I would almost seem untrue to my favorite pair! Like Dietrich! I just watched her the other day in Blonde Venus, and the whole time I was watching there was no one else in the world but Dietrich.

I have to look at the schedule to see when Hedy is on again, and please remind me, and everyone else, through this thread, too.

You're right,she would've been great in some of the roles that Ingrid Bergman played,although Ingrid was such a great actress,it's difficult to see anyone else in the roles that she made her own.

But Hedy left behind some memorable movies,and I always get the feeling that she just didn't push her career that hard anyway. I think that she would've been better used in European cinema,better understood. That's what it took for Louise Brooks. I think that Hollywood at that time only had one way of seeing such a beautiful woman,which is strange,considering the fine work that Hedy did in "Ecstasy". And Hedy must not have taken it that seriously-with her brains and looks,she could've had much better roles. I think perhaps she was rather amused by the whole thing.

I'll keep my eyes open for her next showing on TCM :) I've already begun buying her available films on DVD.

TORTILLA FLAT is not bad. Offbeat and interesting. I really like the book. It's funny. Not what you expect from Steinbeck. I haven't seen many Hedy movies. I like her.

Also watched MY MAN GODFREY. I felt Osborne divulged a plot point in his intro. I'd seen it before, but there must have been people who hadn't. Critics and commentators do this way too often.

When my brother and I were kids, we watched David Niven's remake of Godfrey. Didn't even know about the original until years later. Interesting how small your world is.

I didn't know that it based on a Steinbeck book,I'll have to read it. I've heard differing opinions of Hedy's performance in it,but I'll be able to judge for myself when I ever get to see it. As you can see,many of us like Hedy :) Seriously,I wish she'd had a few more outstanding roles,so that we'd be able to form a better opinion of her acting. Seeing her in "Ecstasy" is tantalising,a taste of what could have been.

I stayed up for My Man Godfrey too,I love that movie. No one did screwball comedy like Carole Lombard,she knew how to underplay it,to keep the wit and sophistication in it,instead of "yukking" it up. Just the perfect light touch. And William Powell-great no matter what he did,and so versatile.

I missed most of the introduction-but I've seen it a million times :)

• 2 weeks later...

Love affair or NOT-there ARE thirty years of "love letters" from Ford to Hepburn.She always denied it(an affair) saying that he (Ford)" would invite me out to his boat and watch me swim".For Ford's sexuality see Maureen O' Hara's bio,and "In Search of John Ford",by Joseph McBride.I didn't say that in the Cavett interview she had an affair with Ford.All I said was her first remarks were about Ford having died that day.

The affair/friendship was discussed pretty thoroughly in "Pappy: The Life of John Ford," which I believe was by his grandson. It seemed to indicate that after the beginning, it eventually settled dwon into friendship, mostly.

> Love affair or NOT-there ARE thirty years of "love

> letters" from Ford to Hepburn.She always denied it(an

> affair) saying that he (Ford)" would invite me out to

> his boat and watch me swim".For Ford's sexuality see

> Maureen O' Hara's bio,and "In Search of John

> Ford",by Joseph McBride.I didn't say that in the

> Cavett interview she had an affair with Ford.All I

> said was her first remarks were about Ford having

> died that day.

There were no 30 years of letters of any kind and certainly not love letters. You've been reading Barbara Leaming's book which is extremely inaccurate. Ford and Hepburn had a brief romance in 1936 which may or may not have included sex. Thereafter they were friends until he died.

Ok, ok, I believe you! It is obviously an affair of gossip, myth, or little consequence so there is little need for debate. An occasional comment here or there will suffice. How did a thread on HEDY LAMARR become a discussion on whether or not Hepburn slept with whozits!

As the immortal Cole Porter wrote, "Let's speak of Lamarr, that Hedy so fair!"

Archived