Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM's Begining

cooperroks

I think it started about 12-13 years ago.

Ted Turner used to show old movies on his WTBS station in Atlanta. Then it went to satellite in the late '70s, then it got a big following. Later he started other stations and finally he started TCM.

All I know is that I got hooked maybe four or five yrs. ago,I think that Robert Osborne is an excellent,knowledgeable host, better than the host they have on that 'other' channel.Robert Osborne actually knew most of the stars from yesteryear.About Ted Turner, he has made quite a contribution to the restoration of a lot of old, or 'classic' movies.His favorite movie is GWTW.A true southerner indeed!

It happened, I belive after Turner set up "TNT". It used to have movies and cartoons but it had commercials. I don't remember where buying the MGM catalog came in but it may have been that transaction that gave someone the idea to showcase the library.

Message was edited by:

Me

TCM began because TNT was airing fewer "classic" films. (As an aside TNT began in the fall of 1988 and the first film aired by TNT was "Gone With The Wind".) Originally TNT aired many, many films ... such as "The Singing Fool" (1928) with Al Jolson; "Hollywood Revue of 1929", etc. As the years passed TNT gradually changed its programming line-up. And these films were once again "back in the vault" resulting in the creation of TCM. And, sad to say, TCM seems to be very gradually sliding the way of TNT. While TCM still airs hundreds of older films, change seems to be in the air.