Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Voice-overs in The Gold Rush on TCM?

MadMolecule

What is this version of The Gold Rush that's showing with voice-overs? I get the impression it's to take the place the title cards, but the voice doesn't seem to be saying exactly what would be on the title cards, so I'm not sure. I confess I missed the first part of the movie; my cable's been in and out all day.

Also, this is my first visit to the forums, but it looks fantastic; I'll definitely be around.

> The film was released as a silent in 1925. Later, in

> 1942, Chaplin added music and his own voice to a

> narration track.

I knew if I checked the threads this morning someone would have some information about last night's showing of The Gold Rush. Thanks, Fred for the info. I have to say I was bitterly disappointed in the version TCM showed. This film was one Chaplin classic I hadn't seen (I absolutely loved City Lights and Modern Times), and I was very much looking forward to all the classic physical comedy bits with the usual subtitles. Instead, that darned narration and voice-over absolutely ruined the comedy, at least for me. What was Chaplin thinking when he did it? I guess he felt that since silent films were long gone, they could re-release the film with the narration and get current(1942) audiences to go and see it again. Wrong move! Although the print TCM showed last night was nearly pristine, the whole "silent movie" experience was just killed. If you guys at programming are looking at this, please show the original version the next time, subtitles and all, so we can appreciate it the way movies audiences did in 1925!