Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

You Can't Take It With You

TimNichols

This past year, I was cast as Tony Kirby in my schools production of "You Can't Take It With You". I was thrilled, and the part gave me new passion, both for acting, and for the plays of Moss Hart and George Kaufman. I fell in love with the story and characters of this play, and when I discovered early on it was adapted in film, I was ecstatic to learn that Jimmy Stewart (my favorite actor) was cast as Tony Kirby as well! That was in fact, what gave me the initiative to try out in the first place! Unfortunatly, I missed the oppurtunity to see the film once, (a member of the cast borrowed it from a relative) and according to this website it is not currently scheduled (nor has it been since I first looked in september). Frank Capra directed this award winning motion picture that changed my life, and I haven't even had the oppurtunity to see it. I will look into purchasing it in the future, but would enjoy seeing it become a part of the TMC library. If anyone else would like to join me in requesting this film, I would be very grateful.

Thank You.

I agree with you - I think it's a very entertaining and pleasant movie, but I don't see anything about it that deserved an Oscar. I suppose it was a case of Hollywood once again trying to enforce its ideas, this time of of a happy family, down the public's throat, just as they filled the screen with singers of scrawny voice quality and questionable technique and tried to convince the public that it was "opera."

Hi Tim,

Don't let anyone discourage you from seing any film that interests you. You need to make up your own mind.

Although this film is lightweight and even silly, it's better than what's out there now.

Jack Black and Adam sandler are out there now promoting their crap. I'd far better watch Spring Byington and Ann Miller in "You Can't Take It with You!" any day.

Larry

I had the son-in-law part in our senior class play.The 1st time I saw the movie I didn't care for the changes from the play but after a while I have come to enjoy the film.At one time there was a taping of the play,with Jason Robards Jr. as grandpa, on VHS. Whether the movie deserved the Best Picture Oscar over 'The Adventures of Robin Hood' doesn't matter.Those Awards are based on a lot of things but popular opinion or importance 68 years later is not part of the criteria.

Well, I'm not saying that this movie has the quality to match others released that year, I have not seen this movie, and am only curious as Capra fan, and as a fan of the play. Personally, I don't think the play itself is overrated. It is a simple production, sure, but it has a very touching theme, and the story is timeless. I love Robin Hood very much, but I am not talking about the quality of the movie itself. That being said, I'm sure there has been far worse films on TCM in the past!

Whether the movie deserved the Best Picture Oscar over 'The Adventures of Robin Hood' doesn't matter.Those Awards are based on a lot of things but popular opinion or importance 68 years later is not part of the criteria.

Well, the response of future critics or audiences is never part of Academy voters' consideration when they choose nominees and Oscar winners.

That said, the test of time is surely a better indicator of a film's merit as art and entertainment, than the awards and reviews it wins when new, in the same way that finishing the regular season with the best record in its league is the test of a superior baseball team; the outcome of short, artificially conceived playoff series and World Series prove little or nothing.

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD played at the L.A. County Museum of Art last Friday night as part of its Olivia deHavilland retrospective. I defy you to find a film of its, or any other, vintage that plays better than TAoRH. While I can't say for sure that YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU has never played in revival at the Museum or elsewhere, or that it won't in the future, it can't possibly have the hold on modern audiences that ROBIN HOOD does, and will continue to have.

It never dates precisely because it's the perfect fairy-tale.