Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AOL Spam and TCM.com...any connection?

Hello TCM,

Today, Tuesday June 20th, I received a "come on" (advertisement) from AOL to my "catch all for crap" e-mail address. I am writing this message because the text of the AOL spam included my TCM forum screen name. I understand TCM "separated" from AOL several months ago...am I correct? Is the AOL spam a "legacy" of the old AOL "screenname" service? TCM isn't selling my forum identity to AOL? Right??

BTW: I simply don't know why AOL would be sending me spam. After all, I am a "triple lifetime member"! NOT.

Rusty

Hello jarhfive -

To the best of my knowledge, TCM has not approved sharing any information with AOL. We did indeed use AOL's Screen Name Service as a login service for the Message Boards in the past, but we have not authorized any sharing of that information, and have since moved away from that system entirely. They may have captured your email address elsewhere and simply used the Screen Name login information. In any case, we will contact AOL and ensure that they are not using any information they may have gathered from you if it was gathered at TCM.com. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Best,

TCM web