Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE FUTURE

coolrob1955

Much talk in the media recently about forcing the Cable/Satellite companies to let subscribers pick-and-choose (and presumably pay for) the channels that they want, instead of having to accept package deals.

We all have to take the fifty or sixty channels of crap that we don't want, in order to get the few channels we do want.

If this were to happen, how would it effect channels like TCM ? would the less popular (intelligent) channels disappear altogether ? Is this a good idea, or will it be a disaster.

Maybe it would'nt make any difference. It's seems that every few weeks a good cable network will change it's format to appeal to the 18 to 35 moron demographic in an effort to pull down more advertising revenue.

I have nothing against 18 to 35 year old morons. I'm the father of three of them (I love them dearly, but I don't want them dictating my viewing choices).

Regards.

Do your three fully-grown no-neck monsters also confuse the contraction "it is" (it's) with the possessive form (its)?

Of course, most Americans do ("it's" is, I think, the only possessive word in the English language that doesn't employ the apostrophe-"s" or "s"-apostrophe combination).

Why, I'll bet even the President of the United States does it, too (when he's not discussing "NOO-kyu-luhr" proliferation)!

You have to learn to play their game against them in order to stay on top. I have had DirecTV for two years and after June 21st they are moving Fox Movie Channel over to Total Choice Plus. Why? So that I will have to pay $5.00 more a month for channels that I will never watch.I called them up today to cancel my service, and I am switching to Dish Network so that I can get a better deal. For $39.99 a month for 10 months I will get all of the Encore channels, TMC Xtra West, TMC West and FMC. Turner Classic Movies is a basic movie channel so it comes with all of the basic tiers from every provider. I enjoy movies from the 60's 70's and 80's along with Foreign films, so I want these other movie channels. Who ever gives me the best deal is the one who gets my $$$$.

f this were to happen, how would it effect channels like TCM ? would the less popular (intelligent) channels disappear altogether ? Is this a good idea, or will it be a disaster.>>

Metry,

Good question. Should this come to pass ( a medium sized if as some of the smaller channels are likely to put up a big fight against the pick and choose channels, but if it does become the future, we would likely have to pay more for the channels we do want because they are no longer part of a bundle.

So, my question is How much are you (the universal you meaning everyone) willing to pay per month to keep TCM as part of your pick and choose package?

lzcutter,

Quote:

"So, my question is How much are you (the universal you meaning everyone) willing to pay per month to keep TCM as part of your pick and choose package?"

Ten dollars.

Notice my quick reply? I've been busting my buttons (for months) to answer that particular question. I feel better.

Rusty

Let's see...I have DISH Top 120 for $40+/month. Of those "top" 120, I watch: TCM, CNN, MSNBC, BBC America, and Discovery Health, and I've just about quit watching IFC, Comedy Central (except South Park reruns), and the History Channel (now the alien/conspiracy channel). The rest is utter garbage. If I pay $10/month for TCM, and $5/month for CNN, MSNBC, BBCTV, and Discovery Health, that's $30/month. Sounds like a bargain to me.

I have the DISH America 180, I think it is, which is more but that gives me Fox Movies, and a few other movie channels (that I never watch, because when you have TCM you have all you need).

DISH is more for movie lovers. DIRECT TV is for those like lots of sports.

Rusty,

Thanks for the quick reply. There was a thread a few months back that I think either path or coffeedan responded to regarding this very subject. Am trying to remember the particulars.

Anyways, my other question is "If TCM cost between $20-30 a month in the new pick and choose system would you still be willing to pay?"

The reason I ask is because while the pick and choose method is supposed to give us more freedom of choice, I suspect it comes with a larger amount per channel (for the less popular channels) than we realize.

Filmlover,

Mr Cutter and I have had Direct for nine years now. (Gads, has it been that long???).

Neither of us into sporting events but we do like the movies. We have the Premium Choice package as it gives us the pay movie channels as well as all the other stuff. We will be changing from HBO/Cinemax at the end of the summer when Deadwood completes its season to Encore/Starz. More movie channels than HBO and the same amount of money.

Fox Movie Channel and TCM are part of the advanced basic package (at least back when we signed up 9 years ago).

See my reply below regarding the pick and choose method and costs. Will our satellight/cable bills be lower with pick and choose or will the higher costs of the basic channels like TCM, FCM, FX, etc we want make it a wash?

I think even the President of the United States would've recognized that Metry made a typo. If your ego wasn't so quickly compelled to demonstrate its false sense of superiority, you would have read the entire sentence closely and realized by its structure, neither a contraction nor possessive was intended. Of course, most Americans would realize that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't forums for entertainment purposes?I'm back in college after 25 yrs. (an English as a second language major),I don't think it's a big deal if someone, in typing quickly, makes a typo-give us a break!Sometimes I'm on here, after waiting for my turn (a one computer household) to get on, and I'm either in a huury to get a word in or have so much going on around me that I'm good to get a couple of sentences in.

Oh, cinemabuff64, that was funny! But, unfortunately, I agree with CineSage jr. Because, I continually make mistakes, I take my time and proofread. I go through spell check, which often isn't a big help, but one's language is a reflection. Just as if you were sporting a tattoo on your forehead, or a young man like yourself wearing a tie! These things still count, and I pray always will. The fact that some of us point them out is mostly in fun, but with a "friendly reminder" purpose.

Now, as to how much I would pay, I would pay anything they want. I always have and will till I die. I don't see that I have much choice. I have over a thousand movies on tape, and I am now buying DVDs, but I still watch TCM more than I put on any of those. It is one of the few pleasures I have. So, go ahead world, bleed me dry!

It's one thing to correct or contest a philosphical or technical point, but it's petty to point out typos (repeatedly, in his case) unless it's constructive criticism of formal or professional writing. And it's even worse when one fails miserably at correcting someone and hypocritically makes the same mistake while doing so. As you'll notice in this sentence of his:

("it's" is, I think, the only possessive word in the English language that doesn't employ the apostrophe-"s" or "s"-apostrophe combination).

He begins with "it's," the contraction, and refers to it as the possessive. I guess he can descend Olympus and join the "most Americans" club with us.

Ok, MetryRoad! I'd love to see those legs! And, MattHelm, I was just standing up for effort! Everyone wants to join the "It doesn't really matter!" club. I understand it is often perceived as condescending, but vital nevertheless. I have read much of CineSage jr's copy, and I realize he has a superior attitude. "Oh, how the mighty are fallen!" It was not with the attitude I was agreeing, but with the essence of his condescension! Ha! Wow! Hope you got that one. Ok, now, everyone get back to making their mistakes, moi aussi!

And, cinemabuff64, that tirade was not directed toward you in particular. It was meant to be general, as I see it was by the general responses. Keep up the good work and don't worry about anyone's, especially mine, two cents. You only improve through constant writing! So, keep on writing.

You're looking in the wrong place, Matt:

Maybe it would'nt make any difference. It's [not this one] seems that every few weeks a good cable network will change it's format to appeal to the 18 to 35 moron demographic in an effort to pull down more advertising revenue.

Contraction instead of possessive.

Sorry, but there's no need fior me to joing the "Most Americans" club at this time.

Sorry, but there's no need fior me to joing the "Most Americans" club at this time.

CS: You and your ego aren't serious, are they? Those in glass houses, yada, yada.

Question to all on Direct TV and/or DISH -- do either of them have the capability of internet technology yet? I am well and truly sick of Cablevision for teevee and internet and want to switch. Thanks.

Jeez, I did'nt expect the Spanish Inquisition !

It was just a case of sloppy editing and alcohol.

I know what you're up to, you think you can intimidate me into submission by attacking my grammar. You're a desperate man (or woman) CineSage_jr, to resort to such low and underhanded tactics.

Well, I'll fix your wagon Buster. It seems that 'Bad Grammar' is your week point too, and I shall continue to fill my messages with typo's and bad spelling just to aggrivate you.

Regards

Then explain this gem, Professor Prima Donna:

("it's" is, I think, the only possessive word in the English language that doesn't employ the apostrophe-"s" or "s"-apostrophe combination)

Should be "its" if you're talking about the possessive form. You erroneously used the contraction, making the same mistake that you're criticizing someone else for. Should we assume it was due to your stupidity, as you do to others? The "Most Americans" club doesn't discriminate against typos or bad grammar, just bad character, so you'd be black balled from the start.

As for your point about "its" being the only possessive case word that doesn't employ an apostrophy with the "s" see also: his, hers, ours and theirs.

Stoney, I have Direct TV and they do offer a service for the Internet, But I'm not sure if it is available in all states.(most likely soon) Cable stinks(that's why I have satellite so I can get TCM) Long Island Cablevision doe's not offer TCM.

vallo

> Question to all on Direct TV and/or DISH -- do either

> of them have the capability of internet technology

> yet? I am well and truly sick of Cablevision for

> teevee and internet and want to switch. Thanks.

Not sure about Direct TV, but DISH offers (aieeeeeeeee!)...

Excuse me, but I had to duck the flying rocks around here (I like CineSage jr. by the way! :-) ). DISH offers no internet service. Even if they did, I wouldn't buy it, simply because the DISH signal goes out during heavy and even moderate rainfall. And I have a strong signal in clear weather. Gee, does it sound like I'm discouraging someone from switching to DISH?