Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

just curious...

JoeEBrownfan

Umm...them's fightin' words. I adore June Allyson. I'm a bit prejudiced, but she didn't become a success for great beauty or a lovely voice, just natural ability. I hate glamour and fluff, and she seems like an ordinary person, on screen and in real life. And I love actresses (and actors) that could cry convincingly on cue, and she was one of the few that could.

Like Betty Hutton, June was a little powerhouse of talent! She could laugh, cry, fight, sing, dance, and, in general, just be the swell gal next door. During the WAR that is what audiences wanted. They wanted to know what they were fighting for, and most of the images of the gals whom the soldiers revered were very close to their family or their dream girl. June represented the family. That was her appeal. Then she moved on into the fifites and cut her hair! Most all the actresses cut their hair in the fifties. But, that's when she lost me! I hated that hair, and even though I still watch her and admire her, I hate that hair!

I really enjoy June in her early days when she had long hair. We all talked about her in another thread last month. She is quite a topic.

I never quite "got" her myself, but was impressed by her pre-atomic energy in her 1943 pictures Best Foot Forward and Girl Crazy. I haven't seen any of her work before these, so I'm curious to see if they tapped her bright spirit. Good News had a spark too, but Joan McCracken stole the Energy Trophy in that picture. She was not Jo March (Little Women), and seemed more and more bland as time marched on.

She's similar to Danny Kaye: a good natured all-around talent with no specialty. I think she gives off a nice glow. And she's spunky.

But I can understand why someone wouldn't like her or Danny Kaye. Sometimes you just don't connect with a star's chemistry.

First of all Rose, let me say that I am a Joe E. Brown fan myself, and even moreso since TCM ran those films of his lately. I have read a few things about his life that indicate that he was quite a nice guy as well.

Next, I have to place myself on the "Against" column for Allyson. She was quite nice at first, but I found her more and more affected, and generally seriously miscast in everything she did, beginning in the 1950s. I didn't buy the cute and perky persona -- there was little warmth behind that smile. I was just a kid at that time, and I generally had a very negative reaction to her. Does anyone think that her marriage to Dick Powell, a big-time player in Hollywood production at the time (TV mostly, I think), had something to do with her "I'm the Queen; I can play any part I want" attitude? I don't think anyone would accuse Lucille Ball of that behavior, and she was in a similar position.

And lordy, that hairdo - ugh! Whose misguided advice was that the result of? She was a very pretty woman. I had the impression her handlers were trying to make her look like Judy Garland - but Garland was able to transcend her ugly hairdos, not the case with Allyson.

GarboManiac, I thought it was just me-I loved her with the long hair,and I hated that silly "pageboy" cut.

Betty Hutton-OK,I'll be gentle-she was cute and attractive and a good actress,but her antics get on my nerves! I always feel like when one of us needs a valium when I watch her,and since I can't give her one,I guess that I'll have to take it,LOL!

Any excuse for a VALlUM! No, it is not just you. That hair on June is too short. It hits her right in the middle of her face, which is not flattering on anyone! It should have been cut just below her jawline. That still would have been short and "maybe" flattered her face. She was so pretty and soft with long hair.

And, about Betty. You know when I was young, I was very opinionated. I thought Crawford was an abomination! I only had a few favorites, and I was loyal and devoted! But, you know life gets boring, and we are constantly looking for new diversions. So, as time moved on, I began to drop my prejudices and opened my eyes to new talents. Crawford, now, is one of my favs! I will watch anything she is in. I came around to Judy, too. I used to think she was just too peppy for her own good (course now we all know why)! But, that voice! No one sings like she does! I even came to love Betty Hutton. June has grown on me. I realize now that we only have a handful of them. They are all dead now, and so eventually, we have to come to terms with all of them. And, so, before I die, I plan on loving all of them, just for who they were!

> You know when I was young, I was

> very opinionated. I thought Crawford was an

> abomination! I only had a few favorites, and I was

> loyal and devoted! But, you know life gets boring,

> and we are constantly looking for new diversions.

> So, as time moved on, I began to drop my prejudices

> and opened my eyes to new talents.

Good point. Bette Davis, Crawford, Garland, Bogart, Hepburn, and many more got on my nerves in my youth. While I still have trouble watching Crawford (can't get the Blue Oyster Cult song out of my head), I can watch and enjoy just about anyone. But I've always loved June, who's still alive by the way. Hopefully she's not reading all the horrible things everyone's saying about her hair (can we say superficial?)! ;-)

OK! I'm sorry, June! I realize everyone cut their hair back in the fifties. It was the fashion. I didn't like it. I hated Lizbeth Scott's short hair, too. Some stars just looked better with long hair. Funny, Joan is one of the few who looked really good in short hair. Oh, and Norma, too.

"Horrible things"? Nobody has impugned June Allyson's character,some of us just don't care for that particular hairstyle on her! Goodness,she's an actress and a public figure,of course people will comment on her appearance. No one had said that she looks horrible. We've qualified the one teensy quibble we have with that one hairstyle,by agreeing beforehand that she's very cute,and a pleasant actress,and cute,and for all I know,a very nice person. But there's no way that it's out of bounds to comment on the hairstyle of a public figure,and an actress at that. Their appearance is part of their stock-in-trade,I can't believe that someone would seek the fame of being an actress and expect no one to ever make a comment about their hairstyle,of all things. Or even some of their fashion choices.

Now making unsubstantiated comments about their characters or private lives,would be a different matter.

Well, you guys, there is one movie in the forties I thought she looked fabulous. It was Her Highness and the Bellboy. I really think she stole the show from Hedy. Not that it mattered. No one really steals the show from her, but I thought she looked beautiful and she had a better part.

June was always very respectful when speaking about Hedy. In the documentary When the Lion Roars, June said Hedy was a star of the first magnitude!

Yeah, I love June for that!