Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JoeEBrownfan

just curious...

Two actresses I just can't watch from the old days are Margaret Sullivan and June Allyson. I think if I knew them in real life, like if they were co-workers or something, they'd be among those I avoid having to deal with. But if others like them, well that's great. I'm sure there are those at the office who avoid me, too.

Garbomaniac, I couldn't have said it w/ more eloquence when you mentioned that we should love the actors/actresses for who they were. I happen to think that June Allison was an entertaining actress.It's clear that she wasn't a looker but she was an endearing presence on screen, someone we could trust, she was any and all of us, the typical American female next door.I liked her the most when paired w/ Van Johnson. I sure hope that we're not judging people for their looks because that would be an injustice, then we would have to include Bogart (don't take personally, I loved him),Victor Mature,Van Johnson,Tony Randall, get what I'm trying to say?

Thank you, and I gotcha! For all my talk about Garbo and Lamarr, I love Eve Arden, Martha Raye and Patsy Kelly!

What I liked about Martha Raye is her great ability to make people laugh, I smile when I think about her. Eve Arden was a very tall, deep-voiced person who seemed to carry herself well. She always played a best friend,someone who knew what she wanted and was doing.

Count me in on Eve Arden and Martha Raye, love them. And Patsy Kelly! I have a nice story about Patsy. I went to see 42nd Street when it was the big revival on B-way. Waited at the stage door to see Ruby Keeler, Helen Gallagher, Patsy Kelly and others in the cast. Jack Gilford came out, signed autographs and chatted. Suddenly a stretch limo pulled up. The stage door opened and out walked Patsy. She was a hoot. She signed autographs, posed for photos and cracked jokes. A man who stepped out of the limo got a bit impatient and said, ?Come on Patsy, we have people waiting.? She said, in her gravelly voice, ?Let?em wait, I gotta talk to these nice folks.? And she signed everyone?s playbill and posed for lots of pictures. Finally, she said, ?If your waiting for Ruby, give up, she never comes out.? She got in the limo and drove off.

As for June Allyson, I don?t dislike her. I actually like her in The Stratton Story. On the other hand, my boyfriend cannot stand her! If he walks by and she?s on the TV, he says ?Oh what?s June crying about now??

Funny about June! She was a crier.

Great story about Patsy. I could see her and hear her as I read your story.

I've never thought June was any good in dramatic roles, at least of those I've seen. I thought she gave a competent performance in her most atypical vehicle, THE SHRIKE, but beyond that, less said the better, in my opinion. I thought she was a terrible "Jo March" in the sugar-coma inducing MGM remake, though with that basso profundo voice and a little more facial hair she might have made an acceptable "Mr. Laurence."

I remember catching the last half hour or so of the movie when I was a kid and it was being shown on television. Right after the movie ended, it was followed by a segment of a show called FURY about a Wild Stallion. As the title four-legged character came running up to the camera in the opening credits of that show I said something like, "Now I know where the lady with the bullfrog croak and the onions in her blouse got her wig!" My sisters didn't like June Allyson either (at least not in that film), so maybe it's genetic in my case.

I liked June okay in her musical segments, such as "Treat Me Rough" in GIRL CRAZY and I think her best film and performance is probably GOOD NEWS, even if first-time director Charles Walters seems to be compelling her to do a "Judy Garland imitation," but I always hated it when she turned on the waterworks.

June's later career as a spokeswoman for adult diapers did inspire a funny bit on the TV series DESIGNING WOMEN. One of the woman stars (Dixie Carter's character, I think), wound up on a sequestered jury and was desperate to resolve the case in time to have dinner with former President Carter and First Lady Rosalyn. She eventually started browbeating her fellow jurors to follow the judge's comments to them and acquit the defendant which one elderly female juror resented and said so, something along the lines of "I don't think jurors are supposed to threaten each other. I don't appreciate that."

Carter's character responded sarcastically, "Oh really? Well, I do not appreciate you leaving your big ol' box of 'June Allyson bladder pads' on my nightstand for the entire hotel staff to see every day. Of course, you don't care if you NEVER get out of here. You don't even have to get up to go to the bathroom!"

You have me cracking up about the crying comment about June, as much as I defended her earlier, I realize that she sure was a crier.Some actresses are weepier than others.

wowee! i haven't been on for a couple days.. what great responses...i'm glad you guys liked the topic of june allyson! i just never understood her :0)

and i'm also excited to hear that people like joe e. brown...i looove "alibi ike" and his other movies!!

-rose

> does anyone care for june allyson..if you do...then

> why? in my opinion she is very over-rated.

>

> -rose

I hate to speak ill of the dead, but I have to agree.

This probably belongs in the thread about hairdos, but I googled her to see her with long hair and she looks amazing! Why would she ever have done that awful flippy bob cut AND keep it for the rest of her life??

June's later career as a spokeswoman for adult diapers did inspire a funny bit on the TV series DESIGNING WOMEN. One of the woman stars (Dixie Carter's character, I think), wound up on a sequestered jury and was desperate to resolve the case in time to have dinner with former President Carter and First Lady Rosalyn. She eventually started browbeating her fellow jurors to follow the judge's comments to them and acquit the defendant which one elderly female juror resented and said so, something along the lines of "I don't think jurors are supposed to threaten each other. I don't appreciate that."

Carter's character responded sarcastically, "Oh really? Well, I do not appreciate you leaving your big ol' box of 'June Allyson bladder pads' on my nightstand for the entire hotel staff to see every day. Of course, you don't care if you NEVER get out of here. You don't even have to get up to go to the bathroom!"

Now you know real reason the Twelve Angry Men were angry.

Oh, but that is lovely. Her face really needed length. But, I guess back then you were expected to cut your hair at a certain age, or follow the fashion.