Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Hal Roach Talkies on TCM

Has anyone noticed that the last couple Saturday mornings, TCM has been airing the other Hal Roach talkies?Last saturday TCM aired "The Boyfriends" "Call A Cop"(31) and the the week before that the Thelma Todd Zsu Pitts two reeler, "The Pajama Party"(31).Also, I see that TCM will air an entire day of short subjects, including the Roach sound shorts and does this mean TCM has acquired the broadcast rights to the Roach sound library?

Why, yes, it does! According to a note from Tcmprogrammer in another thread, T-W has licensed most of the Roach library for 40 (good godamighty! We'll be watching TV on our wrist receivers before that lease expires) years. The Sept sked includes a day of Roach features, including Turnabout and One Million BC, which I haven't seen in decades.

Can anyone dig up the other thread regarding this wonderful news?I do have a few questions about the HR library and if tcmprogrammer could(or anyone else)can answer them? I would apperciate it very much.

1.Does the TCM acquisition of the Hal Roach library, only includes the sound films from 1929 to the end of the studio?

2.Since Charley Chase has been featured on TCM several times, does this mean we'll get to see his early sound talkies from 1929 to 1936 as well?

3.Any chance will TCM present a weekly series of the Hal Roach comedies, like the Hallmark channel did several years ago with "Leonard Maltin Presents"?

4.Will we see the other sound Roach(Harry Langdon, Taxi Boys, Our Gang,)talkies ?

Thanks!

Thanks path40a for the great news.....

It would be great to know when these shorts will air, since the last couple of shorts has been shown as "fillers" and it's been more of a miss, for fans to see the comedies.I just hope that we'll get to see the Charley Chase talkies real soon, since they are some of the best(next to Laurel & Hardy)sound comedies that Roach produced in the late 20s and the 30s.I can tell everyone that some of the shorts that TCM will air("Ladies Last" 1930, for example)was never shown during their run on the Hallmark Channel and with no dvd release anytime soon , on these classic short two reelers, better get those blank cassettes and blank dvds ready.

I have contacted a few of my friends who are noted film comedy historians and told them about the news of TCM getting the Roach library and they are "surprised" and delighted about the great news.Since TCM has always a great collection of classic short subjects in their library, the acquistion of the Roach library(my guess it's mostly the comedy shorts)means that the Roach comedies are by far, the "biggest" collection of short subjects that TCM now has in their library and I can only hope that TCM puts the Roach comedies to very great use in the years to come.Now, lets see some Chase talkies!!!!

Thanks TCM.

As far as I know they haven't shown any Chase shorts yet.

I caught four so far but I think five have been shown... Prior to airing on TCM I had never seen any of them!

Thelma Todd Comedies

The Pajama Party (1931) - I didn't see this one.

Strictly Unreliable (1932)

The Boy Friends Comedies

Mama Loves Papa (1931)

Call A Cop (1931)

Wild Babies (1932)

I think they have shown one or two Laurel and Hardy's but I didn't pay attention to which of these was aired, sorry.

Yancey

Message was edited by:

yanceycravat

Message was edited by:

yanceycravat

Message was edited by:

yanceycravat

I caught the one today before Cartoon Alley. Zasu Pitts & Mae Busch are tired of their boyfriends always taking them to Coney Island. Then they have to go again when they get splashed and meet new bows. Laurel & Hardy make a cameo appearance at the end and want to take them, where do they want to take them? Coney Island.

I came in in the middle of it. Wasn't Billy Gilbert as the designer funny? The blonde was Thelma Todd, not Mae Busch. L & H caught me completely by surprise.

It's funny how everyone got dressed up to go to Coney Island. The women spending so much time covering themselves. I did catch a mistake, sort of. When they are in the revolving tunnel Thelma falls down and rolls over backwards. There you see the top of her stockings and her upper legs. Next shot she has a pair of bloomers on that come nearly to her knees.

TCM showed "Wild Babies"?WOW!

That short couldn't be shown on the Hallmark Channel when they aired the Roach shorts, cause of racial stereotypes. but glad to see that TCM aired the short.But I need some help and has any member recorded the Roach shorts, since they have been popping up during the last several weeks?Could anyone be so kind if someone can make me a copy of the shorts(including On The Loose)and anyone that can help, will be given some great rare films, features, shorts, animation, as a trade for the films.I am a film historian and a film collector and I'm doing a project on the Roach sound era and I would be very grateful for anyone's help.

Either send me PM or email at my hotmail address...

nelsonhughes@hotmail.com

Thanks!

P.S.

You might want to stayed tuned after "Buck Privates", as the film is only 84 minutes, but TCM has a 30 minute gap before Silent Sunday Nights begins, so maybe we'll see another Roach comedy tonight after the feature.

Why can't they list these in their Now Playing programming guide?

I know they don't usually do that with shorts but these aren't

your usual shorts either.

Consequently I've seen none of them yet.

"Lets Do Things"(31)was the debut short in the Pitts/Todd series and this time, I made sure my vcr was running and it was a very funny short.But seriously, TCM should let their viewers know when the Roach shorts are going to air, cause they are the biggest collection of short subjects TCM now has in their library.

Tomorrow 6/27/06 , there might be two Roach sightings a little after 7:30am and then around 11:30am, so keep alert my friends.

Another one is on now, after Two Women.

The Bargain of the Century (1933)

After accidentally getting a policeman friend fired, the girls must come up with some way to get him re-hired or be stuck with him as an unwanted roommate.

Cast: Zasu Pitts, Thelma Todd, Billy Gilbert .... Sea captain, James P. Burtis .... Officer Butterworth (as James Burtis).

Also Known As: The Island of Lost Heels

Runtime: 20 min. Directed by Charley Chase.

4:30 AM Pacific (After Mr Blandings)

You're Telling Me (1932)

Mickey and Grady stay at a friend's place for what they tell him will be one night; it stretches into several months.

8:30 AM Pacific (After Gentlemen Prefer Blondes)

I Love Children, But! (1952) - A Pete Smith short

You're Telling Me (1932)

This is one of the final shorts in Hal Roach's "Boy Friends" series. The spotlight is on Mickey and Grady, who have come to the city to visit Gordon and his family. Billy Gilbert, as Gordon's father is hysterical.

Cast:

Mickey Daniels .... Mickey

Grady Sutton .... Alabama

Gordon Douglas .... Eddie Morgan

Julie Bishop .... Jacquie (as Jacqueline Wells)

Betty Bolen .... Betty

Louise Beavers .... The Maid

Billy Gilbert .... Mr. Morgan, Eddie's Father

May Wallace .... Jacquie's Mother

Lyle Tayo .... Mrs. Morgan, Eddie's Mother

Directed by Lloyd French & Robert A. McGowan.

Writing credits H.M. Walker.

I set the timer on my recorder and I got-it! Next chance comes after Singin' in the Rain.

Thelma Todd and ZaSu Pitts in Show Business aired this morning 8 AM Pacific Time.

Show Business (1932)

Comedic duo Thelma Todd and ZaSu Pitts travel along with their musical monkey to a show but their antics on the train antagonize the show director.

Directed by

Jules White

Thelma Todd .... Thelma

Zasu Pitts .... Zasu

Anita Garvin .... Anita Garvin

Monte Collins .... Collins

Charlie Hall .... Train Passenger

Paulette Goddard .... Train Passenger (uncredited)

There appears to be another 20-30 minute gap appearing in Thursday's schedule just following Niagra Falls and just before the MGM Parade Show #20, due to the removal of The Devil With Hitler from the schedule.

There are several filler spots of around 15 minute duration, not really enough for two-reelers. These occur between Broadway Limited and Niagra Falls; The Clock and Torrid Zone; Torrid Zone and Keeper of the Flame; It All Came True and Bogart: The Untold Story; Bogart and Stand In; Stand In and The Devil and Miss Jones.

Better opportunities occur on Friday. These occur between The Devil and Miss Jones and Born Yesterday where there are around 25 minutes to fill; and around 22 minutes between Monkey Business and Ball of Fire.

Saturday opportunities of around 27 minute duration occur between Comrade X and T-Men; between T-Men and Knock On Any Door; and another of around 20 minutes duration between Knock On Any Door and The Milky Way; all good possibilities to find two-reel shorts.