Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bacchus' B's?

JackBurley

Tomorrow, the San Francisco Chronicle is going to list the Top Ten Wine Movies. Anyone want to guess what they'll be? I'll report the list to you once it's published. I can get you started off, since I saw the promotional in today's paper:

1. Notorious

So, what other movies do you think they'll list? I'll guess:

2. They Knew What They Wanted

3. Days of Wine and Roses

4. Arsenic and Old Lace

5. Sideways

6. Gigi (certainly sparklings wine would count, no?)

7. The Parent Trap (Remake)

8. Shadow of a Doubt

9. Dracula

10. The Grapes of Wrath (okay, that's a stretch...)

Now Ben, listing Notorious is cheating; as that's the one movie that was given yesterday. Following are the Chronicle's picks for Top Ten Wine Movies:

1. Casablanca - You got it Ben! Lot's of Veuve Clicquot in that flick, and of course Rick's line that he'll "water his garden with champagne before he'll let the Germans drink it."

2. Dr. No Apparently Mr. Bond was a vintage fan and was about to clobber Dr. No with a bottle of sparkling wine when the villainous Dr. said, "That's a Dom Perignon '55! It would be a pity to break it." Bond ("James Bond"), shrugs, and replaces the bottle with another; saying, "I prefer the '53 myself."

3. French Kiss The Lawrence Kasdan movie wherein Kevin Kline plays the "prodigal son" of a French family of vineyard owners.

4. Gigi I got it! This was chosen as much for "The Night They Invented Champagne" as for Gigi's lesson in drinking ("You have to fully enjoy the aroma. On your first sip, hold it on the roof of your mouth for a moment and breathe through your nose. Then you will feel the flavor...").

5. Killer Bees Apparently this Gloria Swanson movie was filmed in the Napa Valley; in fact, in the house that's now owned by Francis Ford Coppola at his vineyard. In this pic, the van Bohlen family owns the winery that specializes in sweet wines.

6. Muppet Movie Kermit orders a bottle of bubbly, which turns out to be sparkling Muscatel from Idaho. Steve Martin was the sommelier.

7. Notorious A fine vintage of MacGuffin!

8. Sideways Of course.

9. Silence of the Lambs I should have remembered the fine Chianti that goes so well with Fava ("thp thp thp thp").

This Earth Is Mine Filmed at the Rubicon Estate. Has anyone seen this Rock Hudson/Jean Simmons/Dorothy McGuire/Claude Rains CinemaScope potboiler? This article says it's more winecentric than Sideways!

Runners-up on the list included: An Affair to Remember, Dracula, The Godfather, The Parent Trap, Seconds, They Knew What They Wanted, The Unholy Wife, among others...

5. Killer Bees Apparently this Gloria Swanson movie was filmed in the Napa Valley; in fact, in the house that's now owned by Francis Ford Coppola at his vineyard. In this pic, the van Bohlen family owns the winery that specializes in sweet wines.>>

Jack,

Isn't FFC new winery, home and vineyard the old Inglenook winery in Napa?

Must go back to Napa one of these days just for the display of movie memorabilia on display at the winery.

Oh, and for the wine, well some of it.