Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Double Indemnity

BuffyBob

One of my favorite movies, but one little thing detracts from it's realism. When Edward G. Robinson comes to visit Fred MacMurray at his apartment, while Barbara Stanwyck is there hiding behind the entrance door to Fred's apartment. Is it just me or is anyone else bothered by the fact that the door opens out into the hallway to conceal Babs. Every door I have ever seen opens into an apartment from the hall. I just wondered if anyone else picked up on this flaw. Catch the movie tonight and see what I mean. It may even be in the trailer.

That door seems as if it was contrived for Stanwyck to be in the hall, a riskier situation than if she was in the apartment when Eddie G. came to call. Of course if there were any doors like that, an unsuspecting person in the hall could get hit, so inward-opening doors may even be part of the building code...

Inward-opening doors have been part of building codes for decades because outward-opening doors become impediments to timely escape in the case of fire or other diasaster (they create a series of obstacles crowds moving through corridors must overcome).