Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jdb1

It Takes Character

I know that she gained fame in Michael Powell's pictures, and The Lady Vanishes brought her some notice in the US. She married and her film career didn't launch her into stardom, she transferred to trodding the boards. She is still alive and had a part in 1996's Shine. Some websites may provide more info, but that's all that I can recall at the mo'.

Here's a topic: Who do you like of the character players who were very often cast as gangsters, or ganster-like? I'm very fond of Mike Mazurki, Alan Jenkins and Edward Brophy. And don't forget the molls.

For the guys: Lee Tracy, Marc Lawrence and Eduardo Ciannelli

and the dames: Iris Adrian, Glenda Farrell and Barbara Pepper

Dear Larry,

If you're interested in "M", you should try to get a copy of the new (Dec. 2004) Criterion DVD of the film. The 2-disc set comes with many extras, including Peter's "I can't help it" speech from the French version of "M" ("M le maudit") and audio commentary of the German film.

Have you seen the new biography on Peter Lorre? "The Lost One: A Life of Peter Lorre" by Stephen D. Youngkin. Official website: http://www.PeterLorreBook.com, where you can find links to booksellers offering the book and information on the book and Peter himself. Plus tons of photos.

Cheryl

Thanks for the notice on the new Lorre book. I'd be very interested to read it; he had quite a career and life.

Larry, you've never seeeeeeeeeen M????

Hoo boy, are YOU in for a treat! Run, don't walk, to find a copy of it.

Lower the lights, grab somebody you like (or not) 'cause it will give you chills, have some popcorn and maybe a nice Italian soda nearby, sit back and enjoy one of the best new experiences of your life.

Truly.

Love all three! I'll go out of my way for a film with Brophy.I have a non-blood aunt,

who with her sisters all talked and acted like 'Ditto Boland'from 'The Last Hurrah'

Mazurky was great too[i think he replaced V.McLaglen in Ford's Stock Co.].

Alan Jenkins just says a word and I want to start laughing.

Skeffington: "Is that a new hat?"

Ditto: "Nah, it's the same ol' hamburger."

Skeffington: "Ditto...how do you thank someone for a thousand laughs?"

Ditto!

Did it occur to any of you, as it did to me, that the "Brophy" character played by Ron Carey in "High Anxiety" was a homage by Mel Brooks to Edw. Brophy?

Hello Cheryl & Lynn,

I am going to try and rent "M" sometime this weekend. So will let you know what I thought of it..

Larry

Uhhh ohhhhh..........I can't picture Edward Brophy!

Nor can I find a picture of him anywhere. But I'm sure, on seeing him, I'll say THAT'S Edward Brophy??!!

I knew it -- so THAT'S Edward Brophy!!!!!!!!????????? Of course, I can even hear his voice.

Thanks, PatrickWelch, what a cool site.

Was he really a take on Brophy, or is that just what you thought? I can see that, now that you brought it up.

I don't know for sure if "Brophy" is intended to be the real Brophy -- it's just my impression. I was wondering if anyone else felt that way.

I think Carey used to do a Lou Costello impression, if I'm not mistaken. My favorite role of his, was when he played Dom Deluise's brother in "Fatso." That's a very obscure, forgotten movie. Hilarious, too.

I saw the movie "Soapdish" this weekend, and I made the observation that Sally Field is very fine actress, but I thought she played the wrong kind of roles. I think she would be much more believable in strong character roles. She is a rather offbeat looking and sounding actor, and doesn't seem to be able to transcend her petite-ness, as could, say, Joan Crawford.

What do you think about it? Are there leading players who should have taken character roles, and vice versa?

I loved how they showed the eating obsession from breast feeding to Chubby Checkers.

I think Sally Field's best role is in the current Boniva commercial. Never really warmed to her, so I guess she didn't have me in mind in her, "You really like me" speech.

You know it might have been her voice. Crawford had a deeper husky voice, plus a lot of sarcasm, which helped give her the illusion of size. Sally has that, oh I don't know really know how to describe it (whinny), high voice that adds to her petiteness. Makes her seem smaller, somehow.

And, yes, I mentioned over in Bizarre Couples that I think Don Ameche should have stuck to character roles and not have been pushed into playing leading men.

Another wonderful character I just saw in Destry Rides Again, Mischa Auer, is one of my all time favorites! He played opposite Dietrich in Destry, Flame of New Orleans, and Seven Sinners. But, he was also in My Man Godfrey and The Princess Comes Across, with Lombard. He was in You Can't Take It With You, and although I have never seen it, I read that he was in Lady In the Dark, with Ginger Rogers. That one was in Technicolor! I wonder if TCM has ever shown that? I would really like to see it.

> Another wonderful character I just saw in Destry

> Rides Again, Mischa Auer, is one of my all

> time favorites! He played opposite Dietrich in

> Destry, Flame of New Orleans, and Seven

> Sinners. But, he was also in My Man

> Godfrey and The Princess Comes Across,

> with Lombard. He was in You Can't Take It With

> You, and although I have never seen it, I read

> that he was in Lady In the Dark, with Ginger

> Rogers. That one was in Technicolor! I wonder if

> TCM has ever shown that? I would really like to see

> it.

GM - I think you'll be disappointed in "Lady in the Dark," mostly because of the usually terrific Ginger Rogers. My impression was that she really didn't understand her character. The production itselfspretty lead-footed. And Mischa Auer was a wonderful character actor, but he's surely no Danny Kaye (who wasn't in this film although he made his mark in the stage production).

I agree with the comment about Sally Field's voice - it is rather odd, and has that sort of "catch" in it which can really grate on the nerves after a while. Still a bit too breathless and "Gidget"-y, maybe. Maybe she needs some of what Suzanne Pleshette had for breakfast. No doubting the gravitas there.