Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

COMING ATTRACTIONS

The threads about your favorite musical and/or your favorite music in a musical were all very interesting. They make me want to see them all again...soon! As you preview the upcoming TV schedule and make note of a favorite that will be playing soon, let us know in this thread. We don't want to miss it!!!

One of my very favorites, and a favorite I am sure of most people, "My Fair Lady" is scheduled for 3:00 PM EDT on July 7th. I'll be at work at that hour, but my VCR will be humming with Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison center-screen. Such favorites as "Wouldn't It Be Loverly", "With A Little Bit Of Luck", "I Could Have Danced All Night", and "I've Grown Accustomed To Your Face" and much more will greet me when day is done! I'm humming those tunes already!

What are you looking forward for, and when will it be shown? I don't want to miss out on your favorites!

Technically, I don't consider it a true musical, but "Meet Me in St. Louis" is showing at 3:30PM Eastern on July 4. O'Brien and Garland are brilliant, and I never fail to cry when she's singing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas".

Ah, patful, let's not miss it! It was on one morning over the Memorial Day holiday. Several brilliant performances in this classic! I feel that I was alive back after the turn of the century (19th to 20th...not the recent "turn"). Yes, "let us all be together" again when Merry Little Christmas is sung! 3:30 PM Eastern- July 4th, it's a date!

Thanks for the remind!

If some are unsure if Meet Me In St. Louis counts as a musical, then The Red Shoes might not count either. But this fantastical dance movie is being presented tonight on TCM. This Michael Powell/Emeric Pressburger film invariably showed up in the biography of every ballerina from 1948 to 1978 as the inspiration for them to enter the dance world. So many little girls watched it and dreamt of becoming the prima ballerina assoluta of their favorite company.

I haven't seen it, Jack, but have wanted to for a while now. And I forgot to get a reminder from TCM and missed it, again. I flipped on the TV and there it was. I just asked for the reminder for the July and September showings. Hated watching ballet as a kid and young man, but as I age and my knees give out, I have a newfound respect for it. You're the expert, Jack: is "The Wizard of Oz" that TCM's showing on July 3 the restored version? Hoping...

Golly patful, I'm no expert and have unfortunately no inside word on TCM's plans. I would guess that they'll be showing the restored Wizard. TCM owns it, and I imagine they invested a lot of money to produce it; so they'll want to get their money's worth. It's a beauty!

When compared with my meager knowledge of film, you're an expert in my book. Any TCM promos that include footage from "Oz" show the letterbox version, but the schedule doesn't show the letterbox icon for it. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

See? Who's the expert here? :-) But for some reason I was watching one of their promos a few days ago and I thought "Cool. Letterbox. Must see.". Very strange. I'll have to remember which promo I saw and pay attention next time they show it, because I could swear the scene of Garland dancing down the Yellow Brick Road was letterboxed. Thanks.

Hi, guys. I bought the VHS version back in 1990. It was the 50th Anniversay issued in 1989. It boasts of being the new fully restored version. So, is there a new fully restored version? I was trying to follow your conversation but I got confused.

I think they released a newly restored version last year (Jack?). They showed all the versions back to back at the time. They're doing it again July 3. After seeing it every year throughout my childhood (my mom loved it), I never watched it again. Now I like Judy Garland, and I thought I would finally give it another chance. Hopefully it's the newest restoration.

Fans of early musicals might be interested in Flying Down to Rio which will be shown July 2, 2006. This is the movie that first paired Ginger Rogers with Fred Astaire; it features the gorgeous Dolores Del Rio with Gene Raymond (who later would marry Jeanette MacDonald). And watch for splendid character actor Eric Blore. The "Carioca" was the big number for Astaire/Rogers, but the real jaw dropper was the musical number featuring show girls standing on the wings of bi-planes. Now that's entertainment!

I'm hoping to see it for the original version of "Carioca". Artie Shaw's live version of it is probably my favorite swing number, and I'm interested in hearing the difference.

The "Carioca" number was fantastic. Astire, as always, was brilliant. The wing-dancing show girls were a bit much, as was the "marriage bailout" at the end. My grades for this film were;

Acting...A

Music....B

Storyline..D

All-in-all, the performances of Del Rio, Raymond, Roulien, Rogers, and Astair plus the music of "Orchids in the Moonlight" and Carioca made this 1933 film enjoyable.

Arg! I only saw a few minutes of it. I had to do some plumbing work to avoid a potential disaster to my floors. I'll have to catch it next time TCM airs it. A "D" for storyline? Ouch!

I didn't find the storyline any more or less bad than any of the other musicals of the period. What interested me was how much the execution of the musical numbers changed in a few short years.

I found the numbers here just too much to take in. The sets and decor overwhelmed the dancers, whose costumes were so very "busy," and the dances themselves (save for Fred & Ginger's numbers) were so static. In just a short time production numbers gained the imagination, style and fluidity we now think of when we think "Gold Diggers" or some other musical of that period. I suppose technological advances in sound, lighting and photography played a part.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed this movie - and Dolores del Rio was gorgeous.

• 4 weeks later...