Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rules of the Game

vunurse87

I saw the 1939 French movie Rules of the Game for the first time last weekend. I am amazed at the similarities between this film and Robert Altman's Gosford Park, which I really enjoy. Some scenes are virtually the same in their entirety. Anyone else notice this?

The Hunting scene iis in direct reference to Jean Renoir's "La Regle du jeu" ("The rules of the game").Renoir's story is also about some aristocrats in a country house,murder and the interaction they have with their servants.

vallo

Wasn't "Rules Of The Game" somewhat loosely based on "Figaro"? I thought that I heard Mr Osborne say something like that in the introduction.

That reminds me,I thank Mia Farrow for her selection of that weird Mexican movie about all the people trapped in a room-if someone had told me about it,I'd never have given it a look-in,but it was great! I wondered,because of the ending,if it had anything to do with the people being "trapped" under the dominance of the Catholic Church(now nobody get offended,I was raised Catholic,and it's not my point,it's the point that I thought the movie might be making).

I don't know about Gosford Park, but watching my tape of this movie last night made me think that ROTG is the template for every stylish, chatty and self-absorbed French movie of the last 50 years.

I saw a French film a few years ago that had the same casual attitude towards romantic relationships. It was filled with all sorts of rambling, psychoanalytical discussions about the Meaning of Everything. After the movie, I heard this humorous conversation between two women as they walked out:

"French women must have some deep sense of angst that American women can't comprehend."

"I'm glad I didn't bring my husband to see this. He would have killed me."

Appropriately, the film was titled Va Savoir (Who Knows?).

ROTG is OK. It gets better as it goes along, once you've gotten to know the characters. But it's not nearly as good as Renoir's masterpiece, Grand Illusion.