Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actors/Actresses behind the voice.....

I'll bring up Lauren Bacall, of course ;), as well as:

Lee J. Cobb - Blustery even when speaking quietly, throughly uncouth.

Spencer Tracy - Warm, slightly gravely voice perfect for dispensing wise words.

Margaret Sullavan - a voice of "liquid diamonds," as one author said of it.

Fred Astaire - Heavenly voice for crooning the best of Gershwin and Irving Berlin.

Henry Fonda - As I've said before here, his drawl didn't work in everything, but it was quite pleasant when it did.

Yes! Sean Connery, I can't believe I forgot to mention him in the first place.Not only is his voice distinctive it's sexy just like him.

Lauren Bacall was also a great choice.She has an incomparable voice, no wonder they use it for commercials, it's distinguished and classy,which translates to quality

How about.......John Wayne, Dean Martin,Chill Wills, Slim Pickens,Walter Brennan, and Lionel,Ethel,Drew Barrymore?

I wish people still enunciated and modulated their voices as the film stars did in those days. Many people speak so fast that I can't follow what they're saying, and there seems to be a vogue for sounding like a "Valley girl"--even if you're a boy!

John Gielgud was so great in Arthur! He spoke so beautifully and he was the epitome of reserved elegance! I wish more people emulated that instead of rap stars and ghetto grunge. Why does everyone today want to be ugly, dirty and tribal? I guess it is just easier. It doesn't take any effort.

Oh, yeah! Oh my goodness! He is just one of the greatest. We were just talking about him over in It Takes Character, I think, or somewhere. I get so confused sometimes. He won an Oscar for his performance in All About Eve. What a voice! And, what a gentleman! I just can't imagine why he killed himself. But, as I get older, I understand more and more.

Oh, I remember now, it was Cynical Characters.

Hello GM, In regards to your comment on John Gielgud, I also thought he was fabulous and very amusing.There is something about a british accent that is just so sofisticated and refreshing.I liked the whole movie but had trouble seeing Liza Minnelli and Dudley Moore as a couple.Don't get me wrong, I love Liza Minnelli but there are only so many roles you can put here in.

• 1 month later...

Lucille Ball had a very distinctive voice; you could pick her out of the crowd in Stage Door while blindfolded.

These voices are beautifully distinctive:

Alan Ladd

Bing Crosby

Dana Andrews

Myrna Loy

Claire Trevor (Can't get over her voice. What did they call it in the TCM Confidential? "Like steel on satin"?)

As for slightly annoying, I hate to say it because I love the man, but I've never found Joel McCrea's voice to be particularly wonderful. But it is recognizable.

I don't think he has been mentioned yet, but...William Conrad. I remember his voice appearing in narration spots on various TV shows in the 60s and possibly early 1970s. Plus he was Marshall Matt Dillon on radio's Gunsmoke (plus various appearances on other programs).

Plus, Paul Frees voice could usually be detected as narrator in various crime films or shows.

Truman Bradley also had a very distinctive voice as an actor and doing narration, "Call Northside 777",based on a true story about Chicago Cops and injustice, Jimmy Stewart starred 1 It is on DVD, with a nice audio commentary !. In the 1950's he hosted a TV show-"Science Fiction Theatre"

I hate to admit it but I am not familiar with either Reed Hadley or Truman Bradley.As far as Bradley goes, I wasn't around in the 50's.Well, that's not a good excuse because I know about movies from the 30's,40's,etc. and I wasn't around then either.I think it might be because I'm not a sci-fi person and neither were my older brothers(I'm the baby).They pretty much dominated the ONE TV set we had,you know how it was back in the 60's most people had only one TV set.As it was I was forced to watch "Star Trek" ,that was torture for me.

Of course, Reed Hadley, how could we forget?

Also, I just remembered another one - Reginald Owen! In some films, he's so made up with a beard, a white wig or in some other costume or makeup that he's unrecognizable otherwise (Madame Curie, Green Dolphin Street), but for that voice ...