Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The "It" Factor

sgd

That's a good question, but I think the answer will prove as elusive as the quality itself. There are so many actors/actresses whom you can't take your eyes off of, and yet they may be distinctly lacking in what one would think of as Hollywood good looks. Edward G. Robinson and Shirley Booth are examples.

It's the same quality you can find in real life - there are some people who instantly dominate the attention of the room - it's just something they are born with. Some just go about their business, and some go to Broadway and Hollywood and capitalize on it.

So we can say that IT can be a case of fabulous good looks, a great energy, or just a quiet magnetism. And, at the same time, this whole concept of IT can be entirely a matter of personal taste as well. I like who I like, maybe you don't, and that suits me fine.

jdb1, I agree with you. It is a complex question. I was just referring to Elinor Glynn's definition, which was sex appeal. But, you are right to expand it. It really is much broader, because what draws us to another person sexually? It is often personality, which I wouldn't necessarily classify as sex appeal.

And, lzcutter, I can't say for everyone, but for Garbo it was intimacy. Everyone around her couldn't tell what she was doing when acting. But, when it came across the camera and onto the screne, the subtlest of movements brought us so close to her, we felt her every breath. Now, that is sex appeal!

And I agree with you,GM-example,Edward G Robinson,in my opinion,has charisma-whenever he's in a scene,he's so compelling-but I couldn't say that I find him sexy,at least on the surface. If I knew him,I might feel differently. "IT" and charisma aren't quite the same thing,to me.

Norma Shearer had "IT", to me. I know for sure that she does,because usually mannerisms get on my nerves,but hers never do. They just seem to suit her. I can see where men would find her fascinating.

Well, yes, Eward G. definitely had IT. But, you're right, I don't think he was sexy. And, as far as I know he was only married once, then divorced and single for almost twenty years before he died. Gee, I wonder if he were all alone during those last years. I guess IT doesn't save you from loneliness.

Norma was such a flirt! That is why I liked her. Dietrich, too! But, Marlene was maybe a little more subte (don't know if that is the exact word); Norma was right in your face! Loved her!

Oops! Gotta run, back later.

"It" to me means someone who just had "it" naturally on the inside and out - the talent, looks, charisma, sex appeal, personality. Most of the ones who had "it" weren't great actress but vivacious and great screen personalities and presence like the original It girls Clara Bow and Alice White.

> Well, yes, Eward G. definitely had IT. But, you're

> right, I don't think he was sexy. And, as far as I

> know he was only married once, then divorced and

> single for almost twenty years before he died. Gee,

> I wonder if he were all alone during those last

> years. I guess IT doesn't save you from loneliness.

>

> Norma was such a flirt! That is why I liked her.

> Dietrich, too! But, Marlene was maybe a little more

> subte (don't know if that is the exact word); Norma

> was right in your face! Loved her!

>

> Oops! Gotta run, back later.

GM, I don't think EGR was too alone in his bachelor years. He once came into my father's grocery store in Manhattan (late 1950s/early 1960s) with a very pretty young woman, who was very flirtatious with him. (I sold him an apple, a high point of my young life!) As for Dietrich, maybe the word you are looking for is "insidious," but in a good way.