Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SOME RESULTS OF WBHV VOTE

edgeciff

After three weeks, five films are leading the pack in WBHV-Amazon vote for 10 favorite DVD's:

THERE WAS A CROOKED MAN, BAND OF ANGELS, THE ILLUSTRATED MAN, MADAME CURIE and unbelievably GYMKATA..

I personally voted for two of these: MADAME CURIE (I think everyone wants this classic) and THERE WAS A CROOKED MAN. Would also like to see BEST FOOT FORWARD and ANGELS IN THE OUTFIELD released.

• 2 months later...

Though THERE WAS A CROOKED MAN not a great film, it's hard to ignore any movie that combines the talents of Joseph L. Mankiewcz, Kirk Douglas, Henry Fonda and Hume Cronyn.

MADAME CURIE is the only other interesting film on the list, though it's also a rather staid, stodgy and predictable biopic. If I weren't utterly enamored of Greer Garson, I probably wouldn't buy it.

Considering that we've yet to get from Warner's QUO VADIS; DIANE; YOUNG BESS; THE WORLD, THE FLESH AND THE DEVIL; THE HORN BLOWS AT MIDNIGHT; THE ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN and scores of other wonderful, if not timelessly great, movies, it's a shame that this dubious popularity contest is being used to provide cover for Warner's Home Video's failure to mine its library in a sensible manner.

Archived