Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Introduction shot of a character

Daddy,

Not to worry, your decoder ring is safe. I'd wager the shot you are talking about is the introduction shot of Gable/Rhett in GWTW.

One of my fav shots.

LOL! Thanks! And your choice of the shark from "Jaws" was inspired :) That shot,with that music,is iconic.

Speaking of iconic,I find that I can't watch the little "100 Years At The Movies" clip on TCM-I HATE that one shot from "The Exorcist". I just can't watch it,and I'll be darned if everytime I try to watch the clip,I turn my head when I think that part is coming up,and I always manage to look again just in time to see it! It drives me crazy,because I love the rest of the little clip,but I can't watch it at all because I never time it right to miss that part!

a few more:

> bogart's hands are only seen at first in "casablanca"

> although it's not the first time we see her, stanwyck's legs walking down the staircase in "double indemnity"

> a bit offbeat, but how about peter lorre's perfumed business card preceding him in "the maltese falcon"?

> katharine hepburn's leg in the boss' office in "woman of the year"

What a fun thread! Thanks, Liz! I'm enjoying reading all the responses.

Someone mentioned Judy Garland--I think that the entire opening sequence to MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS is great. We meet all the members of the Smith family on a summer day--Mother and Katie making catsup in the kitchen, Agnes coming in wet from swimming, Grandpa skipping in the hallway, Rose alighting gracefully from a buggy, Esther getting off the streetcar and waving goodbye to her friends, and Tootie starting it all off by riding on the ice wagon. Not only is each character highlighted, it shows us that this film is really about the daily life of a family. I love it.

Sandy K

Cesar Romero-"Weekend In Havana"(His character was introduced while Alice Faye was singing in the moonlight. The corner was dark and all of a sudden the light comes on he is smoking and listening to her from afar on a bench.)

James Dean-"Giant"(He was first shown in the jeep with his cowboy hat down and boots up on the steering wheel. You could tell he didn't want to deal with Rock Hudson's character right away.)

Gloria Swanson-"Sunset Blvd"(She lifts her head up and looks down on William Holden's character showing dominance immediately.)

"Creature From The Black Lagoon"(You have to love seeing the creature come out of the water for the first time to attack.)

I've been reading this thread for a few days but haven't contributed anything because I can never remember first scenes but now that I read yours it would be my choice, Judy Garland/cast in "Meet me in St. Louis" it captures small town America preparing for family festivities.I love it and you captured it well.

I hate a nit-picker (except when I'm covered with nits and need assistance) but I think the shot you're describing of Dean occurs at the barbecue, and is well-known as a still photo.

If I'm not mistaken, we first see Jett when Bic is bringing Leslie home for the first time. Jett is working on the truck I think, and looking up at them (especially Leslie) from behind it. But I agree, the shot you describe is memorable.

Hello,

Jack Gurney, 14th Earl of Gurney (Peter O'Toole) jumps off his cross in "The Ruling Class".

Captain Hank Quinlan (Orson Welles) rolls out of his car in "Touch Of Evil".

Billy Pilgrim (Michael Sacks) "slogs" through snow drifts in "Slaughterhouse-Five". What makes this scene special (to this viewer) is the accompanying music of Johann Sebastian Bach.

Martin Riggs (Mel Gibson) and Roger Murtaugh (Danny Glover) careening car scene (before the credits). One of the "Lethal Weapon" sequels ("Lethal Weapon 2"?).

Rusty

I can't think of all the movies that Kay Francis had great introduction shots but in her Warner Bros films she always had the best introduction shots. She always had the right mood look for the particular movie. You knew what the movie would be about when you saw her introduction shot by the way she looked.

The shot of Bette Davis in "Now,Voyager"-it's kind of a second introductory shot,after she's been in rehab-when we last see her,she's fat and frumpy-then on the cruise ship,the camera starts at her feet in those cute little shoes,and slowly follows up her legs,and then we see her face,looking intriguing in a mysterious hat with her hair swept up. Great "re-introduction" of the ugly duckling turned swan!

When I was in high school some years ago, one of my English teachers (also a dancer) gave a film studies class, and for a musical he showed Singin' in the Rain. As the opening credits rolled, some unwilling lads in the class asked, "Cyd Charisse? Who's he?"

Mr. Singleton knew how much I loved Cyd, so he just glanced at me laughingly and told the guys, "I'll tell you when Cyd Charisse appears onscreen."

So Gene Kelly is dancing--Broadway rhythm, it's got me, everybody dance!--and he comes sliding up to that amazing stocking-clad leg...

Mr. Singleton: "This, gentleman, is Cyd Charisse."

I loved Omar Sharif in "Dr Zhivago". Yes,his eyes were beautifully expressive in it. On the DVD that I have,he does an introductory narrative,and he tells some of the make-up tricks he had to do to achieve the look required for the part-let's just say I wish he'd kept it to himself :)

I do love that movie,and the book. In the book,Lara is the dark-haired one,and Tonia is the blonde. I wonder why they switched it for the movie? Maybe because they really really wanted Julie Christie for the part of 'Lara". She is beautiful in "Dr Zhivago".

Virginia Mayo's first shot in White Heat(1949) is a distinctly unglamourous one: Raoul Walsh has a close up of Mayo asleep and snoring with her mouth open! It always cracks me up, along with the scene where she spits out her gum before kissing crazy Cody Jarrett (James Cagney) bye-bye. I've always suspected that the whole dark, lurid and highly entertaining movie was really a film noir comedy.