Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Introduction shot of a character

I think it has already been touched on on one of the other threads, but Rhett Butler's introduction shot in GWTW is very impressive. Besides, where else can you find a post with "on on one" in succession, huh? ;)

CharlieT

Shane (Alan Ladd) in Shane (1953)

Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford) in Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Why? When I attended showings of each of these films (years apart), I heard this collective sigh from the women in audience at the time these characters first appear on screen. Memorable and amusing.

Great story, Ayres. I was in a 50's classroom while I was reading (not that this could happen), all the boys are in argyle sweater vests. It's an all boys school. The teacher is a wise ole fat guy with his sweater buttoned starting with the wrong button. He has a pointer in his hand and his glasses are down on the end of his nose. His hair is a mess. The boys are only half paying attention until the moment he uses the pointer to point to that leg. With his announcement, all the boys drop their mouths in amazement! Great visual, thanks.

one thing I love about John Wayne is his early stuff...if you watch those B westerns and his style in them, it's no wonder why he became an icon...I loved his humor, especially in winds of the wastelands..which is one of the best B westerns I have ever scene...The way he walks, talks and handles himself is awesome..I especially love riders of destiny when he plays singing sandy...god I love john wayne....

GarboManiac wrote:

> I was in a 50's classroom while I was reading (not that this could happen), all the boys are in argyle sweater vests. It's an all boys school. The teacher is a wise ole fat guy...<

hee hee, well, actually Mr. Singleton was as slim as a reed, and all the boys wore jeans and long hair (I was in HS in the 1970s, and I'm female). ;)

CharlieT, I've been to many a screening of GWTW and that first shot of "the visitor from Charleston" never fails to elicit a collective sigh from the audience.

As for me, how about The Quiet Man's Mary Kate Danaher (the luminous Maureen O'Hara) walking barefoot across the hills with her sheep, prompting Duke/Sean Thornton to question, "Hey, is that real? She couldn't be!"

> So Gene Kelly is dancing--Broadway rhythm, it's got

> me, everybody dance!--and he comes sliding up to that

> amazing stocking-clad leg...

>

> Mr. Singleton: "This, gentleman, is Cyd

> Charisse."

I always wanted to wear that green dress and not look like a lizard. She was stunning in that dress. Legs to die for.

• 1 month later...

Rita Hayworth's introduction in Affair in Trinidad (1952) is a knockout. It was her return to the screen after three years of absence:

The conga drums begin to beat "Trinidad Lady". A spotlight is cast, and Rita slinks out from behind a lattice with a sultry stare.

• 1 month later...

<< Harry Lime in "The Third Man">>

I agree with southerngirl

Joseph Cotton calls out to a form in the shadows, "What kind of a spy do you think you are?". A kitten rubs against the shadowy figure's leg. Cotton calls, "What are you tailing me for?" A woman across the street switches on her light, it falls on the stranger's face.

CLOSE SHOT - HARRY LIME

CAMERA TRACKS IN to CLOSEUP. He is looking off CL, smiling.

Cotton calls, "Harry!"

3dman_lime.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

How about the the shot where Boris Karloff as the Frankenstein Monster lurches through the door backward and turns to the camera to reveal his face in "Frankenstein."

And of course the scene where Ernest Thesiger proclaims, "The Bride of Frankenstein!" and Elsa Lancaster looks up as her flowing gown is released on each side of her.

Another favorite scene is in "Apocalypse Now" where Brando as Kurtz first pokes his bald head out from the shadows of the Temple he is hiding in. That scene startled me....

Roy

As I kept crossing titles off my list reading through the 7 pages, I thought my number 1 pick would make it, but oobleckboy beat me to it, and displayed it so well: Orson Welles magnificent entrance in The Third Man.

So, here are what's left of my list, and mostly newer movies:

Omar Sharif 's great long lensed desert entrance in Lawrence of Arabia

Henry Fonda's menacing walk out of the brush and his encounter with the young boy ("Well, now that you said my name...") in Once Upon a Time in the West

Robert Shaw's fingernails on the chalkboard interruption of the meeting in Jaws

Anthony Hopkins standing still as a statue, unblinking and truly menacing in The Silence of the Lambs

And as for the non-humans, King Kong's meeting with Fay Wray and The Alien's entrance by way of John Hurt's chest in Alien