Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beauty in later years?

msladysoul

The old saying goes if you treat your body right when your young it'll reward you in old age. What actors and actresses never seem to have lost their looks/beauty as they aged? Whose old age didn't disrupt their beauty? Which one seem to have old age working in their favor by continuing to look stunning though older with maybe a few wrinkles and fine lines?

My picks are....

Ginger Rogers

Susan Hayward

Ann Miller

Lena Horne

Tallulah Bankhead surprisingly kept attractive in her later years. She had such a wild life but it didn't seem to show on her.

Mae West - I still can't believe she was in her 40's when she became a movie star in Hollywood. That's the age most women are cast out in Hollywood but Mae was at her prime as sexy as the younger ones turning on men of all ages and races and becoming a craze in the world who's influence is still around today. She looked like she was in her 30's and maybe even late 20's.

Mae never smoked or drinked so that's why she stayed younger looking for so many years.

Marlene Dietrich looked better in her late 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's then in her twenties. When she was performing in the 1960's in her sixties a man was looking through a microscope at her and Dietrich stopped the show and said to the guy you'll kill the illusion if you see me to close meaning you'll be able to see all the wrinkles and lines.

I can't think of any man but Cary Grant who was always handsome. It seems the older he got, the more handsome.

I can't think of an actor who looked so good in every decade of his life the way Cary Grant did. Lillian Gish aged well also. Marlene Dietrich held up well over the years too.

Just wondering if anyone feels as I that there was skill in cinematography and lighting to aid the illusion of youth in older films and that skill is not needed as much now thanks to plastic surgery?

We discussing Hollywood where beauty is everything. You can't get by there with beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This is just a topic of discussion. We love and admire beauty here. Beauty is actors/actresses and Hollywood's business. Don't act like you see a face and say "oh beauty is in the eye of the beholder I'm not looking or admiring."

TOOMANYNOTES,here is what Wordsworth wrote about Hedy Lamarr(he only thought that he wrote it about his wife,hehe)~~

SHE was a Phantom of delight

When first she gleam'd upon my sight

A lovely Apparition, sent

To be a moment's ornament

Her eyes as stars of twilight fair

Like twilight's, too, her dusky hair

But all things else about her drawn

From May-time and the cheerful dawn

A dancing shape, an image gay,

To haunt, to startle, and waylay

And now I see with eye serene

The very pulse of the machine

A being breathing thoughtful breath,

A traveller between life and death

The reason firm, the temperate will,

Endurance, foresight, strength, and skill

A perfect Woman, nobly plann'd

To warn, to comfort, and command

And yet a Spirit still, and bright

With something of an angel light.

Hedy was a goddess until the day she died.

Message was edited by:

daddysprimadonna

Back then cinematographers were geniuses they could take the most unattractive, most oldest looking and make them look good. You wouldn't need plastic surgery back then. Many actors and actresses were almost obsessive about lighting and camera angles and which side to film them on when it came to close ups because they knew it could make them look younger or older. Plastic surgery actually can make you look worse if you get too much of it. If I had a choice I choose the skill of cinematography over plastic surgery.

Hedy looked at best average in her old age. When I saw her on What's My Line from the 1950's, she lost her "stunning" and she was in her early 40's and then you had Dietrich who was in her 50's still looking good and Mae West. The proof is in the picture. On the show she looked drunk and incoherent like she couldn't understand how to play the game. I know your fans so Hedy would always look good to you even with a paper bag over her head but let's be honest here. I'm partial when it comes to my favorites but if you lose it you lose it. (Her own son even said she lost it.) I tell it like it is you see I didn't mention Linda Darnell. You can't make me think Hedy is the most beautiful like I can't make you think some of mine are so don't even insist.

As you say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder so whether Hedy lost her beauty or not, who cares, right? Her son can attest to that.

Oh I forgot Dolores del Rio was still quite stunning as she aged.

The proof is in the picture. I know your fans so Hedy would always look good to you but let's be honest here.

Well then,speaking honestly,this fan has seen pictures of Hedy Lamarr in her latter years and she still looked stunning. You are certainly welcome to believe otherwise,but I don't understand why you try so hard to convince others that she didn't,when all we have to do is google pictures of her on the Internet.

You know,TOOMANYNOTES, I never thought about it,but you're right-Gloria Swanson did remain attractive in her latter years. From all that I've read,she was nothing like the character that she played in "Sunset Boulevard"-she was a very vital and active woman who lived in the present. It says a lot that she wasn't afraid to take that role-she apparently had no qualms because she wasn't afraid that it was "too close to home". It was nothing like her real self.

Gloria Swanson was always rare looking to me. Never beautiful in my eyes but she had a face that was full of mystery which was great in silents. I have to admit she didn't look broken down or awful in her later years.

I'm not a big fan of Sinatra but he looked better when he was middle aged. He put on weight which made his face full and he looked better.

Back then cinematographers were geniuses they could take the most unattractive, most oldest looking and make them look good.>>

There are cinematographers working today who can do the same. The difference is that the cinematographers of old invented much of the technology, not that they were geniuses. Creativity, whether it is 1926-1936 or 2006, is still a major component to great cinematography and the men and women behind the camera today can do work that rivals their elders.

You wouldn't need plastic surgery back then. >>

No, the studio sent you down to the make up artists and they created new noses, new hair color, new cheek bones for you and if the make artists couldn't give you what God hadn't, there were some who opted for it surgically.

<>

Did you watch the Billy Wilder doc the other evening. He told a great, funny story about Marlene and her obsession with key lights.

<< Plastic surgery actually can make you look worse if you get too much of it. If I had a choice I choose the skill of cinematography over plastic surgery.>>

Most people would. There are actors and actresses of a certain age today who will opt for good lighting over plastic surgery. There are others who are choosing to grow old gracefully but they don't get the press that Jane Fonda and Joan Rivers do because in today's society, there's no money to be made in selling magazines about actors who are growing old gracefully. The money is made in outing who has had the surgery.

<>

Yes, she was.

The old saying goes if you treat your body right when your young it'll reward you in old age. What actors and actresses never seem to have lost their looks/beauty as they aged? >>

Good genes play a major role in how well you age. It's not all just about treating your body right when you are young.

Cary Grant was blessed with great genes that allowed him to grow old and still look as handsome as when he was young and he did not treat his body well while he was young.

rainee: I think shadows and lighting and lenses played a very important part in the differences we detect in actors/actresses faces in movies from years ago as opposed to those from more modern times. You often just do not get the same effect in color as you can with black and white. In still photography a portrait of someone is quite often more polished, delicate, and classy in black and white than in color. Color often leaves nothing to imagination and ruins mystique. I also think makeup trends and even hairstyles played a part - this strikes me particularly in movies from the '60s. Makeup was garrish and hairstyles stiff... made even young women look old beyond their years, tho that was certainly not the intent.

lzcutter: Joan Rivers? I thought she had tons of botox and facelifting a few years ago??

classicblackand: I guess I only have the image of Mae West from her last films in my head (coupled with the fact that she's "not my cup of tea")... and the images I conjure up are not of beauty. In this case I have to agree that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

My picks would be: Loretta Young, Olivia de Havilland, Greer Garson, Ingrid Bergman.

As for men: yes indeed, Cary Grant, Gregory Peck, Gary Cooper.

This is a good subject:

Here is my contribution; FEMALES:

Lauren Bacall,Eartha Kitt,Rita Moreno, Jane Wyman,Jill St.John,Kate Hepburn,Joanne Woodward .

MALES;

Cary Grant (like many I chose him!),Paul Newman, Robert Redford,Robert DeNiro,Sean Connery,Roddy McDowell,Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly,James Stewart.