Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

looking for the name of an old movie ...

annieoakly

I'm looking for the name of an old movie I saw a few years ago about a man and lady buy a news paper out in the country, or small town. When they get there they find it kind of old and dusty they live upstairs from the news paper and have to fix it up. Lots of gossip in the little town and I think they have a contest to sell the papers. The movie was older and in black and white I think.

I wonder which description you saw. Here's one from http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1154976:

"...Hoping to cheer his wife, Roger floats the idea of buying a small-town newspaper, but she remains inconsolable. He goes ahead with his plan to buy the paper, and the twosome rent an apartment above its offices. Meanwhile, their friend Applejack (Edgar Buchanan) begins gently coaxing the couple to adopt a child. Although the film is awash in sentimentality, it remains curiously compelling, which can be attributed to Stevens restrained direction, the skillful interweaving of comic material, and excellent work by the two leads."

Don't sound like it,I think they bought the news paper and only seen a picture of it, and when they seen it in person it was little and old worn out shop, upstairs was was the living quarters and once they got it up and running again, people weren't buying papers, so they started gossip in town to get people to buy the papers and had a contest to get people to buy papers. My neighbor and I are going crazy trying to find the title, keep thinking cuz we can't sleep till we find it , Thanks again...

I saw watched Penny Senerade, that is definitly not the movie I'm looking for, while similar because they lived upstairs from the newspaper, and around the same time period. This movie

that Im thinking of had town gossip going on and a contest trying to get people to buy more papers.

And not so sentimental. I did enjoy the movie though and had never seen Penny Serenade.