Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Please TCM show more Musical Short Gems!

msladysoul

I love the musical shorts that appear on TCM. I have collected some great ones. I wish TCM could put them into the schedule or at least show them at a certain time that we'll know they'll show them. I caught most of my shorts during the morning time especially after a early 1930's movie.

I love the musical shorts because they give all of us a chance to see entertainers of a by-gone era who are unknown today but in their time popular. These musical shorts were like music videos that would have sometimes a short story built around it just to showcase the talent but the entertainment was the main thing. Attaining these musical shorts is like a treasure. I notice many shorts are being added to DVD releases of classic movies, which is great. It seems in the past years TCM showed more shorts then they do now. Please TCM show more musical shorts - musical shorts are the highlights of TCM.

Anyone enjoy the musical/entertainment shorts?

• 2 weeks later...

>I wish TCM could put them into the schedule or at least show them at a certain

>time that we'll know they'll show them. I caught most of my shorts during the

>morning time especially after a early 1930's movie.

Lots of people have been wanting these and other shorts listed in the schedule

especially now since they've begun showing the Hal Roach talkies.

I found a thread where a TCM employee is listing upcoming shorts that

you might find helpful in your quest for musical treasures.

http://forums.turnerclassicmovies.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?forumID=277&threadID=83254

• 4 weeks later...

I am REAL new to this site,but YES,I love the "old" short mucial shorts,one in particular I have been trying to track down...a few weeks back,I caught the tail-end of a short I later learned was called,"Harry Warren,America's Foremost Composer",with Warren accompanying some young singers on some of his best-known tunes.I must admit I had never heard of Warren,but the voice of one young lady really intrigued me,as I thought she was either Helen Kane(the Betty Boop girl) or someone imitating her...she sang "Cheerful Little EarfuL",very cathcy number with lyrics by none other than Ira Gershwin!!!Well,I HAD to find out WHO was this girl and what was the story behind the song.So now I'm trying to find out when (hopefully) the short will be repeated,who the girl is,was she the "stand-in" for Helen Kane when the studio dropped her,etc.But I LOVE these musical shorts if for no other reason that it keeps us in touch with some great,alas forgotten, music...that we can UNDERSTAND and not be offended by,and you wouldn't even mind if your kids learned the songs...hahaha....ANY HELP would be appreciated...post a link here would also help and be most welcome!

I should add that the musical short I am referring to above,was a Vitaphone "one reel wonder",that TCM uses as "filler"...are these listed anywhere in a Weekly?monthly Schedule...THANX for the space to ask questions!!!Brock