Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Hand-to-Face Contact!

GarboManiac

I'll never forget, in HOLD YOUR MAN, when Jean Harlow hauled off and punched Dorothy Burgess right in the kisser! Full punch right to the jaw! Wow, I didn't know Jean had it in her. From then on I viewed her differently. Don't mess with Jean, or she'll knock ya down!

> I'm ashamed to say that there's something cathartic

> about Mildred Pierce's slap across her evil daughter

> Vida's face.

Absolutely the double slap in Mildred Pierce from Joan to Ann and also vice versa when Ann slaps Joan on the stairs and the latter loses her balance and almost falls.

I don't know if this applies but there is a scene in GWTW where the yankee carpet bagger comes to Tara to collect taxes and Scarlett gets heated up and throws dirt in the guy's face and says this is the only thing you'll ever get from Tara .I just always thought it was a great scene highlighting Scarlett's fighting spirit. I have to tell you GarboManiac I aways enjoy reading your opinons on the different threads.

Vandamm (James Mason) slugging his henchman, Leonard (Martin Landau) in NORTH BY NORTHWEST, after the latter's demonstrated Eve's blank-filled pistol on the former.

Of course, since the shot's done from Leonard's point of view, it's as though Vandamm's punching the whole audience in the mouth.

Even though John Wayne was able to get his hand up Maureen O'Hara's slap in "The Quiet Man" looked like a hard one. She broke a finger with that one.

Ginger Rogers has a slap-fest with the woman who plays Jimmy Stewart's fiancee in "Vivacious Lady." It's even funnier as it turns into a big girl fight. It's complete with hair pulling, kicking and pin sticking.

That is an example of why GWTW is my favorite movie.It takes her character and transforms it from a spoiled,rich debutante into a savvy, hardened, suffering pauper and back to the spoiled B**** from before. Poor Scarlett, she had such bad timing.

Was that movie done in technicolor? if so, it was amazing.Should be put in that thread.

"She was so sweet as an innocent young girl. The worst she would have done then, is go in the house and slam the door. But, she went from that, to slapping, to shooting you in the face!!!"

Are you talking about Katie Scarlett O'Hara? She was never sweet. At age 16 (when the movie and book open), she was willful and manipulative. Her first slap is only 10 minutes into the movie, as received by Ashley when he spurns her adolescent crush. This is followed by the destructive throw of the brick-a-brac across the room, which lead to her introduction to Mr. Butler. This also didn't go well.

She was a tough cookie from the start; and she could put on a sweet act if it held promise for the result she wanted. For an example of this, see her temper tantrum with Mammie when they're fighting about what to wear to the barbeque. Her mood would quickly turn from sweetness, to explosive tantrum, to defiance, and finally angry submission ("don't eat that too fast; no use in it comin' right up again")...

Ha! Good one, Jack! Well, that brought you back. No, I realize she was Hell on wheels. I was just going from the first scene with the Tarleton twins when they are talking about war, and she says she will go in the house and slam the door if they say one more word about war! Everyone's first view of her is willful, and she just gets worse. I guess I was greatly understating her genteelness as a young Southern belle. I was trying to say something nice about her!!!

What better example of sweet (via flirtatiousness) than when she is poised on the steps of Twelve Oaks with all her prospective beaux ? Or when she goes to visit Rhett when he is in jail to borrow $$ for Tara? Though it was manipulation via flirtatiousness, she was, therefore, sweet.We all know she never got anything any other way.

There are many nice things to say about her, but temperament isn't one of them. There's her ambition, fortitude, bravery, parental love and respect, beauty, etc.; but those belong in another thread, I suppose...

As for this thread, kimpunkrock is right, Cary Grant's hand to Hepburn's face at the introduction of The Philadelphia Story is in the top ten Best Hand-to-Face Contact moments.

"What better example of sweet (via flirtatiousness) than when she is poised on the steps of Twelve Oaks with all her prospective beaux ? Or when she goes to visit Rhett when he is in jail to borrow $$ for Tara? Though it was manipulation via flirtatiousness, she was, therefore, sweet.We all know she never got anything any other way."

There's an important distinction between being sweet and acting sweet. Scarlett acted sweet only when she needed results. Melanie was sweet; Scarlett acted sweet.