Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Presteign

Best Dance Scenes

Fred Astair and Eleanor Powell dancing to 'Begin the Beguine' in 'Broadway Melody Of 1940'. That scene must have gone on for five minutes (?) without a cut. Superb

With due respect to Ginger Rogers, I think the ever-smiling Eleanor Powell was his best partner.

And of course who could forget Margaret Rutherford doing the Twist in 'Murder At The Gallop'

Presteign

Can't forget "Singin' in the Rain," of course. The ceiling dance to "You're All the World to Me" by Fred Astaire in Royal Wedding is one of my favorites, as well as Astaire's broom dance with Burns and Allen in Damsel in Distress--both gimmicky, but fun. The Red Shoes ballet in the movie of the same name is also stunning.

One of my favorite dance scenes and one of the best was Eleanor Powell dancing to Fascinating Rythm in Lady Be Good. It is truly an amazing piece of film. Most of the scene is one long take. You can see a slightly abbreviated version in That's Entertainment Part III with a split screen that shows how the scene was filmed. It is fascinating!

Just about all of my favorite dance scenes feature Fred Astaire. I also love the "ceiling dance" from "Royal Wedding". I love the dance he and Ginger do to "Cheek To Cheek"-when he gently sets her down on the bench at the end,they look like he's just made love to her-that dance was more romantic and expressive than any number of raw sex scenes in contemporary movies.

The competition dance they do in "Follow The Fleet" was great-some fancy footwork there!-and the dance they do in the "Monte Carlo" set at the end-I love the ending,when do that high step off the stage.

A dance sequence that is interesting is Marion Statler and Don Rose dancing to "Ragamuffin Romeo" in "King Of Jazz",an early talkie revue. I call it the "boneless" dance,because he throws and flips her around so much,and she does look so lissome and agile,as if she has no bones,in it!

Everyone talks about Shirley Temple and Bill Robinson, and all of their numbers together are great. But I am partial to Shirley's dance with Buddy Ebsen in "Captain January." He was so tall and she was so small, yet she matched him step for step. I did like his dancing - he was all leg and rather awkward looking, and yet so graceful. I always found great humor communicated in his dancing. He made quite a few films, but I think I've seen only two or three, not counting the "Davy Crockett" series.

Well, here goes another Fred. Only this time it is with Rita in, You Were Never Lovelier! Sometimes, I put on that movie just to watch those scenes!

Ok, movieman, I have to throw in Gene with Rita, too. Their screen presence together in Cover Girl is dynamic!

Hey, thanks Jack! Gotta go over there. I was mesmerized reading and realized I was still on your link to that thread. So, I came back to exit and tip my hat! For some reason I missed that thread completely.

But, remember the two miscast actor threads? The second one kept going (even after your invitation to join the first) doing almost as well. So, funny! I guess people just like variety, even if it IS the same thing!

Well, I just got back from your thread, over in Musicals, Jack. And, it is not the same at all! I thought it might be a duplicate. Yours is all about tap! This one is just about dance in general. So, everyone can just bounce back and forth!

> I love the dance he and Ginger do

> to "Cheek To Cheek"-when he gently sets her down on

> the bench at the end,they look like he's just made

> love to her-that dance was more romantic and

> expressive than any number of raw sex scenes in

> contemporary movies.

If I may respectfully offer a slight correction, daddysprimadonna, the lovely Astaire-Rogers dance ending you describe is that of "Night and Day" from The Gay Divorcee, rather than "Cheek to Cheek." Astaire eases Rogers down to the seat and gently brushes off his hands, while she just gazes up at him, utterly dazzled.

At the end of "Cheek to Cheek" (from Top Hat) they are both standing near a garden wall. She again looks completely dazed, but in this instance he too looks enchanted and in love.

I totally agree with you that these dances of theirs are sexy stuff...

No problem :) I had a feeling that I was choosing the wrong title,but I was too lazy to go look it up on the tape be sure . I often confusedly switch thost two numbers!

And yes,yes, I love when Fred brushes his hands together after gently seating Ginger on the bench-as if he's completed something,and she just has a dazed look on her face. Talk about symbolism-the great conquering male and the vanquished female,LOL,though in the nicest way :)

Message was edited by:

daddysprimadonna

Some dance scenes are so wonderful that they make me cry:

Never Gonna Dance by Fred and Ginger in Swing Time (1936)

Down Argentina Way by the Nicholas Brothers in Down Argentine Way (1940)

On the other hand, there are several dance scenes I love to watch after having cried. These make me giddy:

Hard to Handle by Fred and Ginger in Roberta (1935)

Put Me to the Test by Rita Hayworth and Gene Kelly (and later Gene Kelly and Phil Silvers) in Cover Girl (1944)

The Boogie Barcarole by Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth in You'll Never Get Rich (1941)

They All Laughed by Fred and Ginger in Shall We Dance (1937)

and anything and everything from Holiday Inn (1942)

Also (does this count?) the dance at the masquerade ball in Romeo and Juliet (1936). Norma Shearer glides into view (teaching the "torches to burn bright"), mesmerizing Leslie Howard. He moves closer to the dance floor, stealing Norma's attention away from her partner, Ralph Forbes. That and the scene that follows is sheer movie heaven to me.

Message was edited by:

de_varenne

There's a great dance sequence in one of the Thin Man movies in which a totally unrelated-to-the-plot dance sequence of two people occurs at a club in which Nick & Nora are at, which is positively brilliant, wherein the male partner is a pivot whilst the female partner does her thing in orbit round him, rotating him while he makes minimalist adjustments to his stature in a delightfully fluid composure.

A fantastic sequence.

And don't lets forget Bobby Van's 'Peter Cottontail' routine!

I can't say that it is my favorite, but the dance scene at the beginning of :Godfather " 2 is very good !

A few that come to mind are Astaire and Garland's number "When That Choo Choo leaves for Alabam" from "Easter Parade", and Christopher Walken's strip-tease tap number in "Pennies from Heaven" (1981).

And just about anything that Eleanor Powell ever did.

Fred Astaire and Elenor Powell dancing to "Begin the Beguine" in "Broadway Melody of 1940"