Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi,

Let's get some discussion going.

The Oscars have been awarded from 1927 to 2005 -- 78 years.

Who do you think should have won the Award in any given year?

Pick a year and give an alternate if you don't think whoever or whatever won shouldn't have been picked or even nominated.

You can choose whoever or whatever from that year, even if they weren't nominated.

Let's have some fun!!

Larry

Good idea, Larry. At last we can get away from all those 'beauty' threads.

I'll get the ball rolling with Humphrey Bogart who should have been nominated for best actor in 1948 for "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre".

And in 1960 it was Deborah Kerr's turn to win the best actress award for "The Sundowners". Instead a sickly Liz Taylor snagged it for "BUtterfield 8".

I'll have more later.

Oscar's three biggest mistakes in acting awards:

1) 1950: Gloria Swanson should have won Best Actress. Because there was no separate category for "Most Unlistenable Screeching", the Academy gave the BA award to Judy Holliday as a consolation prize.

2) 1965: Rod Steiger should have won for "The Pawnbroker." Instead the Academy gave the award to Lee Marvin for one of the most lightweight performances ever to win Best Actor. LM plays a drunken cowboy, yuk, yuk, yuk. It was Hollywood's collective subconscious' way of saying that "we can't deal with the holocaust yet, come back in 30 years."

3) 1977: One last good chance to give the Oscar to Richard Burton and they blew it. Richard Dreyfuss was pretty good in two fun movies (don't tell me that his role in Close Encounters as well as his nominated role in The Goodbye Girl had nothing to do with it), and that trumped Burton in Equus. Did somebody say something about the Academy always trying to even things out, and make sure that fine career actors eventually win an award?

> Judy Garland and James Mason should have both won for

> "Star is Born".

>

> Grace got the Prince, Judy should have gotten the

> gold.

Yeah I heard about that and wondered why, then I saw The Country Girl and understood, because it's basically the same storyline but with a happy ending. A woman is married to an alcoholic who thinks he's a has-been and makes her life tough, but she remains devoted to him. The only difference is that the country girl's husband doesn't die at the end. I guess that's what tipped them.

I think they should have tied. They've had Oscar ties a few times.

I'd give James Stewart one for just about anything, but I think I'd single out his sly, touching, amusing and unassuming performance in "Harvey." I think about his delivery of the line "I recommend pleasant," every time my temper is tested.

I think that it sucks that Clark Gable didn't win for his portrayal as "Rhett Butler". it was one of his finest performances,and he had quite a few. But Robert Donat was great as "Mr Chips" also,so I suppose the Academy was torn,and didn't want GWTW to garner all the glory. Still,it should've been a tie for "Best Actor" that year.If they're going to be objective,they should award the Oscar for the performances that deserve it,and not give it as a "consolation prize" when an actor or actress didn't get it another year for a great performance,as they've done sometimes.They should give it for the great performance of that year,or forget it. I can't believe that Elizabeth Taylor won for "Butterfield Eight". Didn't that have something to do with her having pneumonia?

Hi All,

Mongo -

I'm with you about killing those 'beauty' threads. Beauty is in the eyes and minds of the beholder and is very subjective anyway. They were all beautiful!!

Deborah Kerr should have won in 1960; you're right.....

Lynn & Sqd -

Right on about Judy Garland and James Mason. They should have got the gold in 1954.

Don't care one way or the other about Grace Kelly and Marlon Brando, but loved both JG & JM....

Karloff -

I thought Lee marvin's performance should have been in Supporting not Best category.

Can't say I give a damn though about either Richard Burton or Richard Dreyfuss.

DPD -

I've always enjoyed Robert Donat, so don't begrudge him his '39 win.

Elizabeth Taylor won for nearly dying and having a tracheotomy! So said Shirley MacLaine.

My grandmother also said she should have won another Oscar for the long drawn out weeping walk down the aisle on Oscar night and the breathy speech she gave. "All too, too dramatic!"......

Larry

Hey, Larry, I loved that breathy speech of acceptance! "I'd like - to thank - the A-c-a-d-e-m-y," classic Hollywood drama!!!

And, the only reason I stuck up for Burton is because he was married to Liz and she kept getting all of the accolades, and HE was the SHAKESPEARIAN ACTOR, for cryin' out loud. It must have been tough on his ego. It would have been nice if they had given him something!

AND, as for those beauty threads, people keep feeding them. They never die like the OS------ thread! The only way to kill them is to ignore them. I am guilty, too, but it was only because I saw Breathtakingly Beautiful was in another category and was by someone named bansi4! Well, that turned out to be Mongo, and that was the originial thread. So, let's just keep that one alive. He was pleased to see it resurrected, and I for one like the title.

My grandmother also said she should have won another Oscar for the long drawn out weeping walk down the aisle on Oscar night and the breathy speech she gave. "All too, too dramatic!"......

LOL! I agree with your grandmother! And she sounds like she was a pistol :)

Oh, I know! I liked both of those, too. Funny how certain people just kinda disappear. Burton is one of those. Nobody on this forum ever brings up his name, and none of his films are in the favorites list, and I can't remember seeing him on anyone's favorite actor's list. I am gonna have to go check, now!! Or, I could just wait to have someone correct me! I think I'll choose the latter!

Don't know why I stuck up for him. Guess, I just felt sorry for the poor ole lush!

Burton, I think, was a hard guy to warm up to. The roles I can think of he played brooding, dark characters. Did he do a comedy? (Taming of The Shrew"?) It's not that he was bad but his characters were hard to like.

Examples - "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold." "My Cousin Rachel" "Night Of The Iguana." "Alexander The Great." "...Virginia Woolf." I'm leaving some out so jump in with anything else.

No, I think that is enough! I agree now that you have pointed that out. Funny, his choices must have been made on something like, "What a PART for an actor!" He should have gone in for a little more popularity. I think you hit the nail right on the proverbial noggin!

Great idea for a thread! My nominations for "worst outrage" in four major categories are as follows:

Best Picture: 1953: The Greatest Show on Earth (easily the worst Best Picture winner ever!) won out over two classics--High Noon and The Quiet Man.

Best Actor: (Several candidates here, but this one has always stuck in my craw.) 1974: Art Carney in Harry and Tonto (help!!) over Jack Nicholson, in one of his greatest understated performances, for Chinatown.

Best Actress: 1981: Katherine Hepburn in On Golden Pond (a great actress, but this was hardly an Oscar-worthy performance), over Meryl Streep, who played two roles brilliantly in The French Lieutenant's Woman.

Best Director: 1990: Kevin Costner (Yikes!) for the terribly overrated Dances With Wolves, instead of Martin Scorsese for the brilliant Goodfellas.

And now, for some friendly debate...

>

> Best Picture: 1953: The Greatest Show on Earth

> (easily the worst Best Picture winner ever!) won out

> over two classics--High Noon and The

> Quiet Man.

I'm with you 100%

>

> Best Actor: (Several candidates here, but this one

> has always stuck in my craw.) 1974: Art Carney in

> Harry and Tonto (help!!) over Jack Nicholson,

> in one of his greatest understated performances, for

> Chinatown.

My best friend for years was a male orange tabby cat. I swear he had been human in a previous life; the critter was a guy in a cat suit. So I'm biased in favor of Carney, I guess. WHY WASN'T THE CAT NOMINATED FOR BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR???

>

> Best Actress: 1981: Katherine Hepburn in On Golden

> Pond (a great actress, but this was hardly an

> Oscar-worthy performance), over Meryl Streep, who

> played two roles brilliantly in The French

> Lieutenant's Woman.

I agree. I didn't see the movie until after the awards. I figured they gave Fonda the award because they realized they had overlooked him for 45 years and if not now, then never. Then I saw the film, and, well it _was_ the best performance of the year, as well as the best performance of his life.

>

> Best Director: 1990: Kevin Costner (Yikes!) for the

> terribly overrated Dances With Wolves, instead

> of Martin Scorsese for the brilliant

> Goodfellas.

I disagree. Costner starred in a movie filmed in two languages, and a culturally groundbreaking movie at that.

Just my 2 cents.

I can't think of any reason that "The Greatest Show on Earth" won for best picture over "The Quiet Man".DeMille's circus opus was a TERRIBLE film.Maureen O'Hara should have AT LEAST been nominated for BEST ACTRESS for "The Quiet Man".

The Arizone Republic wrote a piece on this very subject last February (Oscar Season). Here are the winning losers that they listed:

The Greatest Show on Earth

What should have won? High Noon and The Quiet Man are both discussed; they would have awarded the former.

My Fair Lady

What should have won? They voted for Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

Oliver!

What should have won? They discussed Funny Girl, Rosemary's Baby, 2001: A Space Odyssey and finally choose The Lion in Winter.

Rocky

What should have won? They say Taxi Driver.

Kramer vs. Kramer

What should have won? They say Apocolypse Now.

Terms of Endearment

What should have won? They say The Right Stuff.

Interesting! I do agree with High Noon over Greatest Show. No way, on sacrificing My Fair Lady to Strangelove. I have seen the Dr. twice and it is funny and witty and gay! But, no best picture! Lion in Winter, as great as it was, was much too dreary! Oliver was the right choice! "Please, sir! May I have some more?" Rocky or Taxi Driver, who cares! Apocalypse Now? That would be as bad as that horrible war song that won Best Song this year: It's Hard Out Dere For A PIMP! And, The Right Stuff over Terms! I give up! I'm exhausted!

2001: Russell Crowe, A Beautiful Mind and Sissy Spacek, In the Bedroom.

Two of the best lead performances ever, but somehow got passed over.

1974: Al Pacino, Godfather Part II

What a subtle, nuanced, authoritative performance. And he lost to Art Carney (who did give an interesting performance in Harry and Tonto, but still...).

1940: Henry Fonda, Grapes of Wrath, or Cary Grant, Penny Serenade. I love James Stewart, but Philadelphia Story shouldn't have been his Oscar-winning film.

And I would have dearly loved seeing Tracey Ullman or Elaine May win for their performances in Small Time Crooks. If you've never seen that movie, please watch it. Those two ladies are extraordinarily funny.