Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upcoming shorts on TCM

For those of you who are requesting certain Charley Chase shorts to appear on TCM, it should be pointed out that the first six Charley Chase shorts which have Vitaphone disc soundtracks are not in the package that Hallmark or TCM have. Only three of the six sound discs have been recovered and they are not going to be seen except during a rare screening at some film festival and that is quite rare indeed.

While it is disheartening to say that the other three discs are gone, it would be better to list them as currently missing. The six shorts are THE BIG SQUWAK, LEAPING LOVE, SNAPPY SNEEZER, CRAZY FEET, STEPPING OUT and GREAT GOBS. You can see THE REAL McCOY on TCM, the earliest talking two reel comedy that was released to television. It's from 1929 and will give you a good idea as to how Charley sounded in that first year of the Hal Roach Talkie period. SNAPPY SNEEZER can be seen in part the next time you see Laurel and Hardy's Laughing 20's. It's the scene on the cable car where Charley and a disgruntled passenger tangle over sneezing and hats.

As for Bank Night, the feature truncated into the two reeler, Neighborhood House, as with most all of the footage unused at the Hal Roach Studio, the film was destroyed by the time the studio was leased by the War Department in 1942.

What does survive are foreign language versions of a few Charley Chase titles including the Spanish "The Pip From Pittsburgh" and the French "Dollar Dizzy". Unfortunately, these are not a part of the TCM library. Also, as a side bonus for all of you Hal Roach fans, a 10 minute Hal Roach gag reel from the early thirties has survived. Entitled, "THAT'S THAT", this interesting curio contains informal and foreign language footage from the studio that was seen at a holiday party and given to Stan Laurel. It was a rare opportunity for me to have seen this and I'm hoping that someday it will be seen again for all Hal Roach fans to view.

> Does anyone know of a site where I might purchase

> "Soldiers in White" that just aired earlier this

> evening?

> Thanks.

So was that *the* Eleanor Parker in that short last night? If it was, she must have had lots of plastic surgery over the next few years.

KrazyKat wrote:....."THE BIG SQUAWK and SNAPPY SNEEZER, for example, are protected and Hallmark Entertainment does indeed, owns these two titles, from what Comedy Film Historian Cole Johnson has told me."

Hallmark also owns the other four Chase shorts as well as a number of other shorts. However, owning the titles and physically having prints are two completely different things. My archive has titles that are owned by other companies and yet I have in a few cases, the only print currently known to survive on certain subjects.

The silent films are owned by another concern. Should someone unearth the long lost Laurel & Hardy film, Hats Off, the copyright protectors would be all over that. If the The Rogue Song ,which only exists in fragments ever pops up, Warner is the only one who could do anything with it.

I definitely do not want to start a war here but...

The question becomes, why don't you and other collector's like yourself make dupes of the prints you own and give them to the people that can do something with them?

How can the general public at large enjoy these movies if they're sitting on your shelf so only you and your friends get to see them? Why not make them available?

Yancey

As an innocent bystander in this conversation, let me point out that everything costs money. It costs money for someone to find old movies, buy them, and store them. So, while one person or company may own the copyright in a film, that's intellectual property that is difficult to exploit without the physical property of an archive film.

Both parties have a strong incentive to work together and reach some sort of financial accomodation. They can't do much of anything without the other.

On the other hand, the suggestion to make duplicate copies of films and give them to someone else who can do something with them does not make any sense either. People who have spent a lot of time and money to seek out rare films and preserve them have an investment in what they find, and to expect them to give it all away for nothing would actually hurt the cause of preservation. If people can't get a return on their investment, why should they bother?

It provokes an interesting debate.

I find a rare film and pay a lot of money for it.

I can't do anything with it legally because I don't have the right to.

If I can get the rights holder to buy it from me at a substantial profit that's considered film preservation and I'm doing it because I love film.

I'm not sure how finding a film, selling back to the company who owns the rights to it, hurts the cause of film preservation.

"If people can't get a return on their investment, why should they bother?"

Then don't call them film preservationists or a person who loves film for the sake of loving film... Call them collectors or bounty hunters who sees the potential to make a profit in finding lost films.

What does it cost to strike a dupe? Presuming, of course, the current print is not decayed. And if it is decayed wouldn't it be better off in the hands of professionals?

Yancey

null

Do you see how current copyright laws actually HURT film preservation? Having the rights tied up for so long does nothing to preseve our film heritage. We should petition our legislators to amend the copyright law. The new law should say, "If you have not preserved the film, you cannot renew the copyright"! Wouldn't that spur the corporations to make sure the materials were sought out and preserved so that they could make more money with the films?

I agree with you yanceycravat. I get mad at times when I hear of researchers, film collectors, and museums having classic movie memorabilia and films but the public can't have accesss to it over rights issues which iss dumb to me because I feel like how is keeping the older films (which are already in bad condition locked up and collecting dust) helping the classic movie stars legacy? I would think one who would get into the classic movie game would be involved with it because their fans of classic films and want to help in keeping the films and the stars work and name alive not just in it for profit but I guess it's not as simple as all that but at least think of perserving the classic era. Letting a film sit in vaults collecting dust isn't helping classic stars. How are we able to learn about them? If the collectors are being stingy and selfish what's going to happen when they die? How is the future young generation going to learn and appreciate classic movies if they can't see their work? I feel many collectors collection will die with them unless they stop being money hungry. Their finds could live on. That's the greatest gift to know your finds will benefit a future generation. I'm quite sure the classic movie stars care more about their work being shown and appreciated rather then their work locked up and hidden. There are a lot of films out here that people dont know who the rights belong too and they never will because those people are long dead and can't collect anyway and I'm sure they wouldn't care having their work shown.

In many cases, the people who collect old films prevented them from being destroyed. Something was going to be thrown out and at the last minute a kind soul saved it from being destroyed, at their own expense.

At the time, chances are there seemed to be zero value to the item. Now, maybe 30-40 years later, after someone has been storing a film at their own cost, you're going to call them bounty hunters?

The alternative would've been that none of this stuff got saved... all of it got chucked out into the trash, never to be seen again. And who were the worst offenders? The studios.

A long time ago, "film preservation" was a distant pipedream and the furthest thing from what motion picture studios wanted to be involved in.

Let's hear it for the people who courageously preserved films that would otherwise be lost, and stop denigrating their efforts.

As for me, I am a fim historian, researcher and most importantly, a fan.I am also a film collector and I am always willing to give fans an oppertunity to see rare film material.I have been very lucky in year's past to get some great rare comedy shorts, rare cartoons, etc, etc and I want fans to see what I have, as why should I be the only person to see these films and no one else?It's not right at all and not fair to fans that may want to see a certain title.

In regards to the 1929 Chase talkies, I did speak with people at the Library Of Congress and Museum Of Modern Art, over the weekend and they were very helpful and they even supplied restored prints to Hallmark Entertainment.Interesting about Hallmark, is they are searching for the lost discs to the other 1929 Chase talkies from what Steve Messa over at MOMA has told me and another interesting note, that Hallmark even owns the silent Roach/MGM titles as well.

Roach16mm, we might have a chance to see "Big Squawk" and "Snappy Sneezer" possibly on TCM in the future and we all don't know(or can say) the true contents on what TCM has in this deal with Hallmark, but I have not been disapointed in what i've seen so far during the last five months.With regards to "The Real McCoy" that Chase talkie was released on Feb.1, 1930, as that was Chase's first release of 1930.

I will tell everyone right here, if you want to see a certain film, then please feel free to contact me and I'll be more than happy to help you.

BTW:

You great people can call me Nelson, as my screen name is after a major film project that took three years to assemble on the classic Krazy Kat cartoons of the mid 20s.

11/06 - 11/14, All times Eastern, approximate and subject to change:

11/06, 1:31am EST - Looser Than Loose

11/06, 3:38am EST - Hollywood You Never See

11/06, 5:44am EST - Meeting the Challenge: International Velvet

11/08, 10:17am EST - The Dot and the Line

11/08, 12:00pm EST - Looking at Lisbon

11/08, 7:41pm EST - The Merry Wives of Windsor

11/09, 4:00pm EST - The Story of Alfred Nobel

11/11, 5:46am EST - This Is Tomorrow

11/12, 1:44pm EST - The Background Beat

11/12, 3:38pm EST - Mr. Blabbermouth

11/12, 11:35pm EST - Barbecue Brawl

11/13, 1:10am EST - 1925 MGM Studio Tour

11/13, 1:51am EST - Italy's In Season

11/13, 7:34am EST - Midsummer Mush

This is a light week. Charley Chase returns early next Monday.

Looking at Lisbon seems to be a Traveltalk, but I wasn't able to verify this.

The 1925 MGM Studio Tour is a fascinating look into the past. Highly recommended!

11/08, 10:17am/7:17a - The Dot and the Line 1965-10m-A

11/08, 12:00pm/9:00a - Looking at Lisbon 1953-9m-TT

11/08, 7:41pm/4:41p - The Merry Wives of Windsor 1953-9m-M

11/09, 4:00pm/1:00p - The Story of Alfred Nobel 1939-11m-JNPP

11/11, 5:46am/2:46a - This Is Tomorrow 1943-11m-JNPP

11/12, 1:44pm/10:44a - The Background Beat 1965-7m-MOD (Composing the score of "Once A Thief")

11/12, 3:38pm/12:38p - Mr. Blabbermouth 1942-19m (WWII propaganda)

11/12, 11:35pm/8:35p - Barbecue Brawl 1956-7m-TJ

11/13, 1:10am/10:10p - 1925 MGM Studio Tour 1925-32m-doc (silent)

11/13, 1:51am/10:51p - Italy's In Season 1967-7m-doc

11/13, 7:34am/4:34a - Midsummer Mush 1933-21m-CC

acronym key:

A=Animated

CC=Charley Chase

CDNP=Crime Does Not Pay

doc=Documentary

DV=Dogville

EK=Edgar Kennedy

JM=Joe McDoakes

JNPP=John Nesbitt's Passing Parade

LE=Leon Errol

LT=Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies

M=Musical

MC=Musical Comedy

MOD=Making Of Documentary

PSS=Pete Smith Specialty

RB=Robert Benchley

RKOS=RKO Screenliner

TJ=Tom & Jerry

TT=Traveltalks

Thank you for your additional info. It helps a great deal to know what types of shorts are listed. Judging by your name you and I might recognize the Laurel and Hardy shorts by name but sadly that is about all I know of anyone's short films.

Continued thanks to MGMWBRKO for listing these for us.

My guess is that we might not see the Todd/Kelly shorts until next spring, since TCM might show all of the Taxi Boys and a majority of the Chase talkies for the next few months.

BTW:

To all Hal Roach fans, I just posted at the General Discussions board, about a TCM possibly putting together a weekly Hal Roach series, as a possible lead in to Cartoon Alley.I urge fans to go there and post your thoughts and let tcmprogrammer(another TCM poster)know we wan't a weekly Hal Roach show.

We are methodically ordering and going through the Hal Roach shorts and features library. This will be ongoing project through early 2007. After the titles are received and pass Q.C. they will start showing up on air. Please note that the Hal Roach shorts are two reeler's and as such can only be scheduled were we have 20 minute gaps to fill between two movies. They are only programmed between or near features films from the same era.