Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upcoming shorts on TCM

I have that short somewhere. They called them "differential analyzers" in those days. The machine was even used, in stock footage, in When Worlds Collide.

Does anyone know if TCM has the rights to those shorts? Would be cool to see them all.

Message was edited by:

Senmut

I am having great difficulty in posting through my web carrier. I wrote this weeks ago..............

I seem to have spurred a lively discussion here. Great. For the record to KrazyKat, when I mentioned Charley Chase's The Real McCoy as 1929, I was referring to when he filmed it, which was 1929. You are indeed correct that it was released in 1930.

Now, in response to the comments about archivists leaving films unseen in their own collections:

Yancy wrote, in part,.....The question becomes, why don't you and other collector's like yourself make dupes of the prints you own and give them to the people that can do something with them? How can the general public at large enjoy these movies if they're sitting on your shelf so only you and your friends get to see them? Why not make them available?

The answer is simple; I do and so do other archivists. However the problem arises about copyright infringments. Some companies will pay for the use of film and some don't but still want the film for use. Film archiving is a very expensive proposition. Several DVD and VHS collections include film from my archive but I don't generally "give it away" just so it's out there for all to see. Many archivists have had this happen.

Many posters on newsgroups all over the internet continually gripe over the fact that if a film has been discovered or restored and they can't have it on DVD or VHS or at least record it on television, then it's unfair. Perhaps that's part true. However, another poster here on this forum very elequently pointed out how much money the archivist or collector has put into their films.

Here is a good story to illustrate a point:

When the silent Laurel & Hardy laserdiscs were being assembled, a person who knew of a film collector who had some pristine material, went ahead, without permission from the owner of the film and told the producers that archival films were existing and he'd get it to them in order to get a free laserdisc of the film and whatever else may be on the disc. Never mind the money put into finding the films or storing them month after month, year after year; he was only concerned to get his hands on the laser that he'd get for free for putting this deal together. Well, the "deal" did not go through and the person who wanted his free laser was furious because of it. When the collector told the person of the cost in obtaining the rare material and that he wanted to be properly compensated for his dilligence, the person was only concerned that he wasn't going to have it on disc for himself.

This is a problem that continues today. UCLA, MOMA, AFI, other preservationists in the film studios here in the states and all over the world spend a fortune on preserving film and show them at selected screenings. While not everyone lives in these areas to see them, they are, at least, trying to preserve what they can. Some things are made available and some things have to wait.

Film preservation is invaluable and not just so we can "own it". While it is true that in my archive I have some amazing items, as do countless archivists, and I do lease some films out to video companies and film festivals, there are some titles that I have put an enormous amount of time and money into. I'm not about to just give it away just so it can be in a home video collection when there is an investment I've put in.

If an archivist finds the complete Rogue Song or Hats Off or any of the many lost Charley Chase films, that collector is entitled to get back his investment, if possible. There is a bigger picture here.

When the recent Valentino picture Beyond The Rocks was found, scores of people were patting themselves on the back. I sat through 30 minutes of speeches of people congratulating themselves and others for the work done. While I applaud them as well, during all that preamble, not one person recognized the deceased collector who stored the film for decades. I still don't know his name. I do know that he had so many rare items that we may never see in the USA because there is so much. I hear that a lost Mabel Normand feature is in that collection. I would kill to see it but the fact that it's going to be preserved is the most important thing.

OK, my tirade is done. My computer has only allowed me to post twice before so I don't know if I'll be back on anytime soon. However, I will continue to read this wonderful forum whether or not I can access it again.

BTW, the collector did make his own deal with the Laurel & Hardy producers and he let them use all the film they needed which is on the DVDs. And, he got paid.

Viva Chase!

Message was edited by:

HalRoach16mm

I am having great difficulty in posting through my web carrier.

I, too, was having a horrible time, with "Forum Home" popping up almost every time I entered my password and tried to post. A friend suggested (and it's working for me) -

instead of opening on your AOL (or whatever) page, look into the "Start" menu, "All Programs," and click on "Internet Explorer" there. Then in the browser of that webpage, type in www.tcm.com and go through the usual steps, sign on, etc. Quite likely you will then be problem-free. Hope that works for you!

Bill

> I often wondered on how TCM schedule the short

> subjects?Do the schedule the shorts months in advance

> like they do with their features?

According to a very good friend who knows some of the folks at Turner, the shorts are scheduled much closer to the airdates than the features which can be listed months ahead of time. You're not likely to see anything in the Now Playing Guide for all the shorts. Thankfully, they are being listed here for the "diehards".

Thanks to the poster for the info on Internet Explorer opening the forum.

I also am hoping for a showing of "Thundering Taxis". I saw a very splicy print of this at the recent Columbus, Ohio Cinevent and it is a riot...closer to a Mack Sennett silent film with wild cartoon-like stunts.

I'm new to this forum and must confess to having read only about half of the 19 previous pages. But what I never saw was any mention of the Edgar Kennedy shorts. Back in the 60s or 70s, a package containing these, along with many of the Todd/Pitts comedies and others, were released to commercial TV.

This was back in the pre-cable days when there were actually "independent" TV stations and prior to the era of infomercials, so lots of older material was shown. Unfortunately, it was also pre-VCRs, so once it aired, it was gone.

Nor have I seen any mention of public domain titles. The concluding pie fight from Keystone Hotel often shows up as stock footage, So I assume it's available. But the early portion of the short, with Ben Turpin as a snooping hotel detective, is nowhere to be found. Any possibility of the whole thing turning up?

Now that I've found this thread, I'll check in frequently. Meanwhile, I need to find my old copies of Leonard Maltin books....

instead of opening on your AOL (or whatever) page, look into the "Start" menu, "All Programs," and click on "Internet Explorer" there. Then in the browser of that webpage, type in www.tcm.com and go through the usual steps, sign on, etc. Quite likely you will then be problem-free. Hope that works for you!

Thank you!, Thank you! Thank you!

I've been unable to access the forums since Friday due to the same issue. Previously I had been getting in by disabling my firewall software, but that stopped working & I thought I was going to be in tech support hell for who knows how long.

Ironically TCM is part of the AOL Time Warner empire, so who would have thought this site was incompatible with AOL software?

This is the first time I've been grateful that this forum isn't being that tightly moderated. (there are a tons of off-topic posts in this thread you know).

Oh, and for proffate, Edgar Kennedy does appear on TCM although usually in supporting roles & most recently in Help Wanted, Female. The shorts he made for RKO should be in the TCM library so stay tuned.

On the subject of the Edgar Kennedy 2-reel shorts, I do not believe that they are part of the Warner library; its RKO holding are of the features and 1950's shorts. The earlier shorts were distributed to local TV stations in the 50's & 60's by Guild Films. Many of the 30's shorts as well as most Pathe shorts (who filmed much of Edgar Kennedy's early sound work) have fallen into public domain, so I suspect that TCM probably shows the Kennedy's as part of its collection of public domain properties.

Proffate,

TCM does have a complete newly restored 35mm print of "Keystone Hotel"(1935) and hopefully we all may be able to see it in the near future, considering that people have told me on how great and funny this short really is.

Back to my eariler post on The Taxi Boys two reel comedy short, "Thundering Taxis"(1933) everyone has told me that this is the "best" short in the entire Taxi Boys series and how it's a return to the glory days of the fast paced, cartoon violence, slapstick comedy from the silent era.There is one litte interesting tidbit about this short, that "Thundering Taxis", marks the first and only time that Mack Sennett funnyman, Billy Beavan ever appeared in a Hal Roach comedy.Even though I have never seen this comedy short, I do hear that Bevan appears in his old silent screen character(comeplete with walrus moustache)he developed at Sennett, so can anyone confirm that for me?Thanks!

11/24 - 11/24, All times Eastern, approximate and subject to change:

11/24, 5:36am EST - The Live Ghost

11/24, 11:47pm EST - A Word For The Greeks

11/25, 7:38am EST - MGM Pictures 1937 Convention

11/25, 11:08am EST - People On Paper

11/25, 1:46pm EST - Cincinnati Kid Plays According to Hoyle

11/25, 7:43pm EST - Martin Block's Musical Merry-Go-Round #3

11/25, 9:47pm EST - Hollywood Hist-O-Rama: Fred Astaire

11/26, 12:04am EST - Lanza Christmas Trailer

11/26, 11:50am EST - Holiday Highlights

11/26, 1:47pm EST - The Nickelette

11/27, 8:20am EST - Little Buck Cheeser

11/27, 1:32pm EST - Harnessed Rhythm

11/27, 7:44pm EST - Five Minutes From the Station

11/28, 4:10am EST - One Horse Farmers

11/28, 8:33am EST - Ice Aces

11/28, 12:13pm EST - Big Bad Sinbad

11/28, 5:46pm EST - Looking at London

11/28, 11:58pm EST - Hot Dog

11/29, 9:49am EST - The Boy Friend (Featurette)

11/29, 7:36pm EST - Somewhat Secret

11/29, 9:46pm EST - For Your Convenience

11/24 5:36am/2:36a - The Live Ghost 1934-21m-LH

11/24 11:47pm/8:47p- A Word For The Greeks 1951-9m-TT

11/25 7:38am/4:38a - MGM Pictures 1937 Convention 1937-17m-doc

11/25 11:08am/8:08a- People On Paper 1945-11m-JNPP

11/25 1:46pm/10:46a- Cincinnati Kid Plays According to Hoyle 1965-6m-MOD

11/25 7:43pm/4:43p - Martin Block's Musical Merry-Go-Round #3 1948-11m-M

11/25 9:47pm/6:47p - Hollywood Hist-O-Rama: Fred Astaire 1961-4m-doc

11/26 12:04am/9:04p- Lanza Christmas Trailer 1951-4m-M (Ave Maria)

11/26 11:50am/8:50a- Holiday Highlights 1940-7m-LT

11/26 1:47pm/10:47a- The Nickelette 1934-?m-doc

11/27 8:20am/5:20a - Little Buck Cheeser 1937-8m-A

11/27 1:32pm/10:32a- Harnessed Rhythm 1936-11m-PSS (Sports Parade)

11/27 7:44pm/4:44p - Five Minutes From the Station 1930-14m-(Sylvia Sidney)

11/28 4:10am/1:10a - One Horse Farmers 1934-20m-TK

11/28 8:33am/5:33a - Ice Aces 1948-10m-PSS

11/28 12:13pm/9:13a- Big Bad Sinbad 1952-9m-A (Popeye)

11/28 5:46pm/2:46p - Looking at London 1946-10m-TT

11/28 11:58pm/8:58p- Hot Dog 1930-15m-DV

11/29 9:49am/6:49a - The Boy Friend (Featurette) 1971-?m-MOD

11/29 7:36pm/4:36p - Somewhat Secret 1939-21m-MC

11/29 9:46pm/6:46p - For Your Convenience 1939-9m-

acronym key:

A=Animated

CC=Charley Chase

CDNP=Crime Does Not Pay

doc=Documentary

DV=Dogville

EK=Edgar Kennedy

HM=Historical Mystery

JM=Joe McDoakes

JNPP=John Nesbitt's Passing Parade

LE=Leon Errol

LH=Laurel & Hardy

LT=Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies

M=Musical

MC=Musical Comedy

MOD=Making Of Documentary

PSS=Pete Smith Specialty

RB=Robert Benchley

RKOS=RKO Screenliner

TJ=Tom & Jerry

TK=Todd & Kelly

TT=Traveltalks

Message was edited by:

LaughingGravy

Message was edited by:

LaughingGravy

LaughingGravy,

For future reference, Hollywood Hist-O-Rama shorts are all 4 minutes long. I never heard of them before seeing them on TCM. They were made in 1961 for TV syndication. (The only TV reference in which I found a listing for this 'series' is Vincent Terrace's Encyclopedia of Television: Series, Pilots and Specials 1937-1984). They were apparently to be used by local stations as filler following movies. After 3 minutes, there is a slight pause (to place a commercial), then a one-minute wrap-up of the subject's career.

> Since TCM has stared airing the Hal Roach shorts back

> in June, only a small handful of shorts have been

> repeated

So the next question is, did they actually show all of the Todd/Pitts and Boy Friends the first time around, or are some of them still waiting?

I see you have a Charley Chase short on the schedule, but I don't see it listed my friend.

I assume you are referring to the acronym list. There is no Charley Chase film in the new batch, but I copy the acronyms from my previous post to save time. Sorry for the confusion.

Regarding whether all the Todd-Pitts and Boyfriends shorts have been shown,I believe they have. I missed some myself. Hopefully they be repeated, but it looks as if for now they'll be running the Todd-Kelly shorts, which for the most part are faster paced. So it may be a while...We'll see.

Message was edited by:

TODDFAN

Message was edited by:

TODDFAN

11/29 - 12/5, All times Eastern, approximate and subject to change:

11/29, 9:49am EST - The Boy Friend (Featurette)

11/29, 7:36pm EST - Somewhat Secret

11/29, 9:46pm EST - For Your Convenience

11/30, 7:16am EST - Dance of the Weeds

11/30, 8:49am EST - Abdul the Bulbul Ameer

11/30, 7:39am EST - The Hotel Anchovy

12/1, 5:48am EST - Early Sports Quiz

12/1, 7:43pm EST - L.B. Mayer Ceremonies

12/1, 10:04pm EST - This Is Living?

12/2, 5:40am EST - Kiddie Revue

12/3, 11:09am EST - A Thrill For Thelma

12/3, 1:16pm EST - King of the Duplicators

12/4, 1:26am EST - Copy

12/5, 7:48am EST - Servant of Mankind

12/5, 2:05pm EST - Visiting St. Louis

12/5, 5:48pm EST - Seeing Hands

11/29 9:49am/6:49a- The Boy Friend (Featurette) 1971-9m-MOD

11/29 7:36pm/4:36p- Somewhat Secret 1939-21m-MC

11/29 9:46pm/6:46p- For Your Convenience 1939-9m-

11/30 7:16am/4:16a- Dance of the Weed 1941-8m-A

11/30 8:49am/5:49a- Abdul the Bulbul Ameer 1941-9m-A

11/30 7:39pm/4:39p- The Hotel Anchovy 1934-18m-Ritz Bros.

12/1 5:48am/2:48a - Early Sports Quiz 1947-9m-PSS

12/1 7:43pm/4:43p - L.B. Mayer Ceremonies 1950-14m-doc

12/1 10:04pm/7:04p- This Is A Living? 1953-10m-PSS

12/2 5:40am/2:40a - Kiddie Revue 1930-15m-M

12/3 11:09am/8:09a- A Thrill For Thelma 1935-18m-CDNP

12/3 1:16pm/10:16a- King of the Duplicators 1968-12m-doc(make up artist William Tuttle)

12/4 1:26am/10:36p- Copy 1929-21m-drama

12/5 7:48am/4:48a - Servant of Mankind 1940-9m-doc (Thomas Edison)

12/5 2:05pm/11:05a- Visiting St. Louis 1945-9m-TT

12/5 5:48pm/2:48p - Seeing Hands 1943-11m-PSS

acronym key:

A=Animated

CC=Charley Chase

CDNP=Crime Does Not Pay

doc=Documentary

DV=Dogville

EK=Edgar Kennedy

HM=Historical Mystery

JM=Joe McDoakes

JNPP=John Nesbitt's Passing Parade

LE=Leon Errol

LH=Laurel & Hardy

LT=Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies

M=Musical

MC=Musical Comedy

MOD=Making Of Documentary

PSS=Pete Smith Specialty

RB=Robert Benchley

RKOS=RKO Screenliner

TJ=Tom & Jerry

TT=Traveltalks

Message was edited by:

LaughingGravy

Are you sure Servant Of Mankind is going to be on the 5th.? I think Tomas Edison is going to be on the 4th, or am I reading it wrong You seem to schedule shorts with the theme of the movie.Or do I have my days confused.