Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upcoming shorts on TCM

This thread has 550 posts, the great majority on-topic or close enough; the nearest total I see in the Shorts section is 18. People look here and post here and in general stay pretty close to the matter at hand, which is Upcoming Shorts on TCM.

Chances are these new threads one person is suggesting would be read by few, replied to seldom if at all.

I would like to see a new area where people can post images, as the ones posted here recently really slowed down my browser when loading this thread. Once posted, they continue to do so as long as that page in the thread is accessed- and I can't be the only one bothered by this, even though I like some of the images.

PS- I'd love to see Robert Benchley's How To Sleep on the schedule, as this film actually did win an AA for best short in 1936.

I've long been frustrated by not knowing what and when, TCM would be showing its short films. I just found this message board a few weeks ago, and, very happy to at last be able to set up recordings (especially with Oscar Month). So, thanks to the people posting the information!

And, P.S. -- even when the schedule is right, apparently TCM messes up -- as they've done the past two days. Yesterday was supposed to be "Calico Dragon", but, instead, TCM accidentally ran "It's Got Me Again" a second time. The day before, TCM must have blinked on their policy of showing ni letterbox format, all films made in letterbox format, because, they showed the opening & closing credits of "Touche Pussycat" in letterbox, but, the actual action of the cartoon was shown "cut and pan" (with, actually, little evidence of attempt to pan).

> I've long been frustrated by not knowing what and

> when, TCM would be showing its short films. I just

> found this message board a few weeks ago, and, very

> happy to at last be able to set up recordings

> (especially with Oscar Month). So, thanks to the

> people posting the information!

>

> And, P.S. -- even when the schedule is right,

> apparently TCM messes up -- as they've done the past

> two days. Yesterday was supposed to be "Calico

> Dragon", but, instead, TCM accidentally ran "It's

> Got Me Again" a second time. The day before, TCM

> must have blinked on their policy of showing ni

> letterbox format, all films made in letterbox

> format, because, they showed the opening & closing

> credits of "Touche Pussycat" in letterbox, but, the

> actual action of the cartoon was shown "cut and pan"

> (with, actually, little evidence of attempt to pan).

It was brought up earlier, but TCM has to depend on Cartoon Network/Boomerang's library for cartoons, so they have to take what is available to them with the edits that were already done.

What is the method/where does one look, to figure out on your own, what the schedule of upcoming short films on TCM is? I ask, because obviously some people on this list have figured it out, and, the most recent post for upcoming threads, only went up thru Midnight last night.

Thanks

2/12 - 2/21, All times Eastern, approximate and subject to change:

2/12, 12:20am EST - Mouse Trouble

2/12, 11:41pm EST - Stop, Look and Listen

2/13, 9:49pm EST - Night at the Movies

2/14, 5:46am EST - The Swooner Crooner

2/14, 8:40am EST - So You Want To Be In Pictures

2/15, 12:20am EST - Walky Talky Hawky

2/15, 5:45am EST - You Can't Win

2/15, 7:19am EST - Old Mill Pond

2/15, 11:05am EST - The Milky Way

2/15, 1:05pm EST - A Wild Hare

2/15, 5:03pm EST - Annie Was a Wonder

2/16, 4:18am EST - Detouring America

2/16, 7:48am EST - Peace On Earth

2/16, 11:35am EST - I Won't Play

2/16, 3:48pm EST - The Night Before Christmas

2/16, 5:43pm EST - Of Pups and Puzzles

2/17, 7:18am EST - Penny Wisdom

2/17, 10:20am EST - The Rookie Bear

2/18, 4:13am EST - Hiawatha's Rabbit Hunt

2/18, 5:47am EST - Stairway To Light

2/18, 11:48pm EST - Sure Cures

2/19, 5:37am EST - Give Us the Earth

2/19, 12:25pm EST - The Battle of Gettysburg

2/20, 6:04am EST - Heavenly Music

2/20, 11:40am EST - The Public Pays

2/20, 1:32pm EST - Star In the Night

2/20, 5:20pm EST - Johann Mouse

2/21, 5:50am EST - The Little Orphan

(PS - please note that all shorts scheduled between 6am, Feb 1st - 6am, March 4th will be Oscar nominees or winners only!)

Message was edited by:

MGMWBRKO

2/12 11:41pm/8:41p - Stop, Look and Listen 1967-10m-comedy

2/13 9:49pm/6:49p - Night at the Movies 1937-10m-RB

2/14 5:46am/2:46a - The Swooner Crooner 1944-7m-LT

2/14 8:40am/5:40a - So You Want To Be In Pictures 1947-11m-JM (with Ronald Reagan)

2/15 12:20am/9:20p - Walky Talky Hawky 1948-7m-LT

2/15 5:45am/2:45a - You Can't Win 1948-8m-PSS

2/15 7:19am/4:19a - Old Mill Pond 1936-8m-A

2/15 11:05am/8:05a - The Milky Way 1940-8m-A

2/15 1:05pm/10:05a - A Wild Hare 1940-8m-LT

2/15 5:03pm/2:03p - Annie Was a Wonder 1948-11m-JNPP

2/16 4:18am/1:18a - Detouring America 1937-7m-LT

2/16 7:48am/4:48a - Peace On Earth 1939-9m-A

2/16 11:35am/8:35a - I Won't Play 1944-18m-WWII

2/16 3:48pm/12:48p - The Night Before Christmas 1941-9m-TJ

2/17 7:18am/4:18a - Penny Wisdom 1937-10m-PSS

2/17 10:20am/7:20a - The Rookie Bear 1941-8m-A

2/18 4:13am/1:13a - Hiawatha's Rabbit Hunt 1941-8m-LT

2/18 5:30am/2:30a - Wrong Way Butch 1950-10m-PSS

2/18 5:40am/2:40a - Stop, Look and Listen 1967-10m-comedy

2/18 5:47am/2:47a - Stairway To Light 1945-10m-JNPP

2/18 11:48pm/8:48p - Sure Cures 1946-11m-PSS

2/19 5:37am/2:37a - Give Us the Earth 1947-21m-doc

2/20 6:04am/3:04a - Heavenly Music 1943-22m-M

2/20 11:40am/8:40a - The Public Pays 1936-19m-CDNP

2/20 1:32pm/10:32a - Star In the Night 1945-22m-drama

2/20 5:20pm/2:20p - Johann Mouse 1952-8m-TJ

2/21 5:30am/2:30a - Wrong Way Butch 1950-10m-PSS

2/21 5:40am/2:40a - Stop, Look and Listen 1967-10m-comedy

2/21 5:50am/2:50a - The Little Orphan 1948-8m-TJ

acronym key:

A=Animated

CC=Charley Chase

CDNP=Crime Does Not Pay

doc=Documentary

DV=Dogville

EK=Edgar Kennedy

HM=Historical Mystery

JM=Joe McDoakes

JNPP=John Nesbitt's Passing Parade

LE=Leon Errol

LH=Laurel & Hardy

LT=Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies

M=Musical

MC=Musical Comedy

MOD=Making Of Documentary

PSS=Pete Smith Specialty

RB=Robert Benchley

RKOS=RKO Screenliner

TJ=Tom & Jerry

TK=Todd & Kelly

TT=Traveltalks

Edited to fix AM/PM error for Johann Mouse.

Message was edited by:

LaughingGravy

Is it me, or does the date/time for JOHANN MOUSE look wrong?

PM, not AM - right before Sayonara, as the previous movie would end right for that. And 5:50AM the next morning is the next one, right after the Fest of Shorts, though the timings are approximate, as always for these. That's my take on it.

Bill

Any info on the 100 Years at the Movies short that airs periodically?

It's not usually listed, as it's not "really" a short - but MGMWBRJO did list it in the shorts a time or two ago. Maybe that policy will continue. In the meantime, just pay close attention to the schedule and look for places where there's 15 minutes between one movie and the next - and if there's not a short for that space listed in here, it could be the 100 years one. Other than that, leaving a hard drive machine running is about the only way......

Bill

100 Years at the Movies is often shown on Sunday night, just before or after the Silent Sunday film. It comes around at other times as well, but if you're going after it hit-or-miss, your chances of a hit are better on Sunday night.

Not this month, of course, because of 31 Days of Oscar.

There are, however, two Charlie Chaplin movies scheduled on 28 feb. They're not silent, but Chaplin is so closely associated with silent films that TCM may slot 100 Years... before, between, or after them.

Of course, if it continues to be listed with the shorts, your troubles are over.

Dear MGMWBRKO,

Have you heard anything about the possibility that WHV might release collections of shorts on DVD?

Back in the days of Laserdisc, MGM/UA home video released two sets full of MGM theatrical shorts.

Today we have nothing like it on DVD, as far as I know.

I guess I could try and ask during the Feltenstein online chat on the 26th... but if you know anything, please let us know! :)

Send you[r] address and I send you a DVD copy off the one I burned

Since he's a first-time poster, you maybe should have said for him to do that in a PM (Private Message) to you. Some people have been either posting information that should be kept private, or have been upset because others seem to be asking them to. Hope you two get together in your PM's.

Bill

Those who caught the Pete Smith short on high speed photography (Quicker 'N a Wink, 1940) on Saturday morning, might want to pay attention to the closing narrative. Pete Smith takes a subtle stab at James FitzPatrick's trademark wrap-up style: "And so it is with this happy thought that we reluctantly bid farewell to Stroboscopes, and sail into the setting sun..."

TCM has announced a schedule change:

The 1942 re-released version of Chaplin's The Gold Rush (1925) will be showing on Tuesday, 20 February, at 10:30am, replacing The Men in Her Life.

You might try for 100 Years at the Movies before and after it.

I found the Robert Benchley short A Night At the Movies interesting. This was nominated for an AA but by 1937 there was no competition in the shorts category coming from Roach anymore. Otherwise, the nomination would be hard to understand, although Benchley's How To Sleep did win the Oscar the year before (and thus inspired a bunch of "How To" films in his series).

There didn't seem to be much of a plot, just a series of disconnected gags. The ending, I thought, was weak and somewhat unexpected- RB wanders outside through the emergency exit, can't get back in that way, then wanders onstage during the floor show and stands around, looking befuddled. That's it.

I think this short could have been expanded to two reels and given a more coherent plot with a better ending. The subplot about the raffle for the automobile was left unresolved and could have been developed more.

It's as if they simply filmed a bunch of individual sequences and then threw them together, enough to make up one reel.

The film does merit some comparison to CC's Neighborhood House (1936). That's the one where Roach got into trouble for trying to parody the Bank Night promotion, which was then at the height of popularity.

In the Benchley film, there is a drawing for an auto, but no mention of Bank Night, as this was someone else's intellectual property. Maybe there were theatres that raffled off cars back then, but I think this was supposed to be an exaggeration.

If I remember correctly, the Benchly AT THE MOVIES short as it is shown on TCM (and that is on the CAVALCADE OF MGM SHORTS-VOL. 1 laser disc box set) is an incomplete re-issue print. A friend of mine has it in 16mm and it has the original titles and has more footage than what we see in most prints today.