Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upcoming shorts on TCM

This is wonderful, two TKs, one on 5 March @ 130 am and the second on 6 March @ 1130 am.

Both times are rough, but close enough..Better ten minutes early than one minute late, but only for Todd and Kelly.

Thanks to Laughing Gravy and MGM........

and TCM.

Thank god "31 Days Of Oscars" is finally over and now we can get back to seeing some great shorts.I do hope that more of the Chase talkies will air this month and hope that the "Taxi Boys" will return to the TCM line-up real soon, since none has been shown since October.

For those interested, the Syracuse Cinefest will be screening some rarely seen Hal Roach shorts at their festival beginning March 15.

They will be screening:

LE JOUEUR DE GOLF (1930) A 46 Minute French language version of the Charley Chase two-reeler ALL TEED UP (American Premiere).

HURDY GURDY (1929) The second talkie from the Hal Roach Studios with Max Davidson, Edgar Kennedy, Thelma Todd.

BRATS (1930) Showing with the long lost original soundtrack, not the 1937 re-release!

LA ESTACI?N DE GASOLINA (1930) Spanish language version of the Harry Langdon two-reeler THE BIG KICK.

LOVE FEVER (1931) The Boy Friends and Thelma Todd

THE BOY FRIEND (1928) All-Stars Series.

with Max Davidson

Silent odd reels from two other Hal Roach films:

CAME THE DAWN (1928) with Max Davidson.

THE WAY OF ALL PANTS (1927) with Charley Chase.

Information on the convention as well as Richard W. Bann's notes on the film can be found at

http://www.picking.com/cinefest2007.html

There must be a story behind the soundtrack to BRATS. First off, how did the original track become lost? How was it found? Finally, what changes were made for the 1937 re-release?

Did this have something to do with censorship, or was it the addition of music, or something else entirely?

If the film airs in the future on TCM, which soundtrack will be used?

Looks like I managed to answer my own question. I see on the Vitaphone Project web site that the two versions of the film have completely different background music.

My guess would be that the 1937 re-release had an optical film soundtrack, while the original release, naturally, had the sound on disc. Apparently a collector found some original discs from the 1930 issue and these were synched up with the film about 10 years ago.

In re to the reissue of BRATS...Roach re-released a number of 1929-31 shorts around 1937 (BRATS, PERFECT DAY, BLOTTO, COUNTY HOSPITAL, BEAU HUNKS...). It was felt that the background tracks to those films (the one's that had them) were dated. BRATS, & BLOTTO had pre-LeRoy Shield music...PERFECT DAY had no music in it's '29 release. By 1937, LeRoy Shield had worked at the Roach studio again and had "updated" many of his classic 1930-31 film cues to have a more modern "swing-ish" feel to them by 1935-36, so Roach decided to reissue some of these 6 - 8 year old films, give them new main titles and update the background scores. In many cases there are some internal film edits (BEAU HUNKS has an entire chunk taken out of the beginning of the opening scene. BRATS was a whole new print that was found, not just the soundtrack...the film itself is slightly different.

3/6 - 3/12, All times Eastern, approximate and subject to change:

3/6, 7:32am EST - World Famous Musical Hits

3/6, 9:19am EST - MGM Celebration 1955

3/6, 11:40am EST - Soup and Fish

3/6, 3:42pm EST - No News Is Good News

3/6, 5:46pm EST - Do Someone a Favor

3/6, 9:46pm EST - Woody Herman and His Orchestra

3/7, 9:49am EST - Along the Cactus Trail

3/8, 7:49am EST - Believe It Or Not #1

3/8, 7:41pm EST - Frontier Days

3/8, 9:36pm EST - Women in Hiding

3/9, 7:08am EST - Done In Oil

3/9, 10:15am EST - Seal Skinners

3/9, 2:46pm EST - Martin Block's Musical Merry-Go-Round #3

3/9, 11:45pm EST - Ancient India

3/10, 8:08am EST - Monroe Doctrine

3/10, 1:47pm EST - Sports Slants #3

3/11, 1:32am EST - Wild Water

3/11, 11:18am EST - Looking at London

There is a possibliy another reissue or perhaps a different version of the same short for the British market. I am not sure, but I do have a couple of questions below. The Interrupted Melody portion of the 1955 Motion Picture Celebration is partly different in each one.

From 1955 Motion Picture Theatre Celebration airing Janaury 20, 2007 at 2:41am. This is the correct part. She is singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

1955MGMCelebrationAmerican2.jpg

From airing 1955 Motion Picture Theatre Celebration airing today.
1955MGMCelebrationBritish3.jpg

This is not apart of Interrupted Melody, but it is identified by the narrator as such. I am not sure of the song title. Does anyone know what movie the picture above is from? Was it a goof on MGM's part to include it? Thank you.

It was released in America as "Salute To the Theatres" and Internationally as "MGM Celebration 1955". They are exactly the same short except that they use two different clips from "Interrupted Melody". The US version has Eleanor Parker doing "Over The Rainbow" and the International version has her depicted in a scene from "Carmen".

3/7 6:00am/3:00a - Double Exposure 1935-22m-(Bob Hope)

3/7 9:49am/6:49a - Along the Cactus Trail 1944-9m-TT

3/8 7:49am/4:49a - Believe It Or Not #1 1930-8m

3/8 7:41pm/4:41p - Frontier Days 1945-17m-Western

3/8 9:36pm/6:36p - Women in Hiding 1940-22m-CDNP

3/9 7:08am/4:08a - Done In Oil 1934-18m-TK

3/9 10:15am/7:15a - Seal Skinners 1939-8m-A (Katzenjammer Kids)

3/9 2:46pm/11:46a - Martin Block's Musical Merry-Go-Round #3 1948-11m-M

3/9 11:45pm/8:45p - Ancient India 1952-9m-TT

3/10 8:08am/5:08a - Monroe Doctrine 1939-22m-drama

3/10 1:47pm/10:47a- Sports Slants #3 1934-11m-(Diving, Dog Racing)

3/11 1:32am/10:32p- Wild Water 1957-8m-RKOS (Kayaking)

3/11 11:18am/8:18a- Looking at London 1946-10m-TT

3/24 5:30am/2:30a - Double Exposure 1935-22m-(Bob Hope)

3/30 7:00pm/4:00p - Double Exposure 1935-22m-(Bob Hope)

acronym key:

A=Animated

CC=Charley Chase

CDNP=Crime Does Not Pay

doc=Documentary

DV=Dogville

EK=Edgar Kennedy

HM=Historical Mystery

JM=Joe McDoakes

JNPP=John Nesbitt's Passing Parade

LE=Leon Errol

LH=Laurel & Hardy

LT=Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies

M=Musical

MC=Musical Comedy

MOD=Making Of Documentary

PSS=Pete Smith Specialty

RB=Robert Benchley

RKOS=RKO Screenliner

TJ=Tom & Jerry

TK=Todd & Kelly

TT=Traveltalks

Message was edited by:

LaughingGravy

> It was released in America as "Salute To the

> Theatres" and Internationally as "MGM Celebration

> 1955". They are exactly the same short except that

> they use two different clips from "Interrupted

> Melody". The US version has Eleanor Parker doing

> "Over The Rainbow" and the International version has

> her depicted in a scene from "Carmen".

Thank you for that information.

I live in Brooklyn, NY, and have Time Warner Digital cable, so I am not sure

where else this is available, but at any rate, one of the channels we have here

is "Free Movies on Demand", and one of the sub-channels on Free Movies on

Demand is Turner Classic Movies on Demand, which is mostly movies that are

shown often on the channel, so I haven't checked it out very much. At any rate,

last night I was looking to see what was there, and was very surprised to see

the Charley Chase short, "Midsummer Mush" as one of the free on-demand

movies. This is especially true in that as far as I know, TCM has never listed

the Charley Chase talkies they have in any of their official schedules, we are lucky

they are posted here by MGMWBRKO. Anyway, even though I recorded "Midsummer Mush" a while ago when it was shown on TCM, I immediately "bought" (at no charge) a screening of it, to show my support of TCM, Charley Chase & Hal Roach comedies. I advise anyone else with Time WarnerDigital cable who want to see more of these to do the same...maybe it will send a message to regularly program a Hal Roach slot for weekends.

Bill Coleman

Laughing Gravy wrote:

3/8 9:36pm/6:36p - Women in Hiding 1940-22m-CDNP

Ooh -- a short I picked in my schedule for the programming contest.

Maybe I should have programmed more obscurities in my schedule and see if I can get TCM to air those. ;-)

Another web link I found said that by 1937, sound technology in films had improved a lot over 1930 and audiences expected better quality sound than these early films had. That was another reason for updating the musical tracks.

That still left the same sound quality on the spoken parts. I don't know if L&H re-recorded any of their dialogue, but it's certainly a possibility.

Other changes in these films on re-release may be related to the enforcement of the Production Code starting in 1934. From what I've read, the code existed before then, but compliance by the studios was voluntary.

After 1934, they clamped down on this and studios also had to watch out for local censors too.

> 3/9 7:08am/4:08a - Done In Oil 1934-18m-TK

> 3/9 10:15am/7:15a - Seal Skinners 1939-8m-A

> (Katzenjammer Kids)

This morning we got "Artistic Temper" with Ruth Etting instead of "Done in Oil" and "Cavalcade of Archery" instead of "Seal Skinners". Were these substitutions only made on TCM Canada, or did you in the US get them too? Whichever, I hope that they'll be rescheduled soon.

By the way, a million thanks to MGMWBRKO for posting the shorts schedule. It's greatly appreciated.

awhat

That's odd. In the past, we'd only lose a short if the feature preceding it was different than the one on the US schedule. This morning the feature schedules for Canada and the US were the same. Up to now, while the Roach features and streamliners haven't been seen in Canada we have seen the Roach shorts. I hope someone hasn't decided to cut us off from them, too.

Time will tell, I guess.

awhat

Haven't seen anyone mention it, but, an episode of R.I.P. is scheduled for 3:25 am to 3:30 am tonight.

Also, am wondering, since this coming Wednesday night is going to be a marathon of 1940s Dick Tracy movies, and there appears to be plenty of airtime between some of the showings, how about TCM running Dick Tracy related shorts between the movies?

Such as the Daffy Duck parody, "Duck Twacy" ?

And maybe a newsreel with Chester Gould in it? (I forget if "People on Paper" included him.)

Or, if there aren't enough such things, then, maybe jst crime parodies, like the 3 or 4 "Bugs Bunny versus Buggsy" cartoons? (To be honest, I haven't watched any of the "Crime Does Not Pay" shorts, so I don't know if they're any good).

I think they added Neighborhood House.Did any of you Canadians get to see Kick-off or Sneak Easily most of us Americans seemed to have missed them?I wish they were put on Demand.