Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MGMWBRKO

Upcoming shorts on TCM

Thanks. I recall some problem with it, I think that was the same day as Call Her Sausage which I was lucky to get.I wonder how many Roach shorts TCM has because they are going to show them all before repeating them. I hope they put more On Demand I'd hate to have to wait years in-between because I have cable problems .

We have 24 "Believe it or Not" shorts ... and yes ... we show them from time to time.

Message was edited by:

MGMWBRKO

> Has anyone ever seen that 1932 short, Hollywood

> Handicap? I have been looking everywhere for it.

You're referring to the UNIVERSAL short of that name. This is quite a tantalising title, as most of them are. The ones made in New York are supposed to be pretty much in the cheaply/quickly with a broadway/radio star as lead, very much like Vitaphone shorts, but the Hollywood made ones will be made better and will feature screen stars. Very few have been seen since their original release, they don't seem to have been put out for home use, rental or Television prints. I have seen at least two, one was an excruciatingly bad early talkie featuring Jewish dialogue comedian George Sidney(whom we just saw on TCM's debut showing of "Rafter Romance") recreating a wheezy old phonograph record standard, "COHEN ON THE TELEPHONE".

The other was a 1933 western themed short "ROCK-A-BYE COWBOY",where unlikely cowpuncher James Gleason, along with Raymond Hatton and Vince Barnett are stuck taking care of an infant in the ol' bunkhouse. It seemed very slick and well made, though pretty predictable goings-on.

Where are all these hundreds of titles? Some say the negatives have all been preserved, stored somewhere in California, others say they were all destroyed in the 1940's after the Universal-International regime took over, included with all the silent material that was still there.

Whenever you can't show a movie like one of the Crime Doctor's . Please consider replacing it with shorts.That would make alot of fans happy

I almost forgot to list the "Boy Friends" shorts! That's kinda where all these (now 49!) pages started, back in June '06.... Again, if anyone has additional info, feel free to post!

THE BOY FRIENDS ?Grady Sutton, Mickey Daniels, et al ? By Release Date

1. Doctor's Orders (1930) 13 September 1930 (21 min)

2. Bigger and Better (1930) 25 October 1930 (19 min)

3. Ladies Last (1930) 6 December 1930 (21 min)

4. Blood and Thunder (1931) 17 January 1931 (20 min)

5. High Gear (1931) 28 February 1931 (25 min)

6. Love Fever (1931) 11 April 1931 (20 min)

7. Air-Tight (1931) 9 May 1931 (17 min)

8. Call a Cop! (1931) 29 August 1931 (19 min)

9. Mama Loves Papa (1931) 24 October 1931 (21 min)

10. The Kick-Off! (1931) 5 December 1931 (21 min)

11. Love Pains (1932) 13 February 1932 (21 min)

12. The Knockout (1932) 5 March 1932 (21 min)

13. You're Telling Me (1932) 16 April 1932 (20 min)

14. Too Many Women (1932) 14 May 1932 (20 min)

15. Wild Babies (1932) 18 June 1932 (17 min)

Bill

I wonder how many Roach shorts TCM has because they are going to show them all before repeating them.

That seems to be mostly the case, but there were a few late last spring/mid-year that got shown more than once; and maybe there will be more "Shorts Days," or nights, or something with groupings - like last September 15th - where ones that have been shown might be repeated. Hint, hint!

Bill

Your research is great. I agree with you about the marathon. I can tell by this forum that alot of us missed some of them.So far I missed Sneak Easily, Kick-off,Another Wild Idea and during Done In Oil for about a minute had a poor quality signal, and I can tell by other posters that things happen, so I hope they are more frequently shown but there must be hundred between Thelma, Charlie, Taxi Boys, Edgar, Leon, Boyfreinds ect.Are Leon and Edgar roachNot to mention Our Gang because that promo with the postcards one of them look like Spanky to me.

> I think it's 3 more one more Todd/Kelly and 2

> Kelly/Roberts.

That's correct. Specifically: THREE CHUMPS AHEAD(Todd/Kelly) and the 2 with Lyda Roberti(HILL TILLIES and AT SEA ASHORE-the better of the 2). The next thing that would REALLY seal the deal is if TCM runs the remaining Charley Chase/Thelma Todd pairings. Then I'd be one happy camper!!

Message was edited by:

TODDFAN

8/20 - 8/24: All times Eastern, estimated and subject to change -

8/20, 3:45am ET - So You Want To Play The Horses

8/20, 9:43pm ET - The First Swallow

8/22, 12:07am ET - Polar Outpost

8/22, 4:18am ET - The Emergency Case

8/22, 7:46am ET - How To Watch Football

8/22, 9:46am ET - Three On a Rope

8/22, 11:15pm ET - World Famous Musical Hits

8/23, 5:43am ET - King of the Duplicators

8/23, 7:36am ET - Italy's In Season

8/24, 12:02am ET - Meeting the Challenge: International Velvet

I want to request a certain Festival Of Shorts but I don't know it #. Isn't Nostradamas # 1 on the Festival Of Shorts. but I don't know which #. Could somebody please tell me so I'll know which Festival to request.Thank You

i am still trying to get the name of those movie races for kids...any luck??

MaryS,

I recall watching a few of the MGM Carey Wilson Nostradamus shorts shown on their own. I don't recall them being part of the Festival of Shorts series but I may be wrong.

The TCM database doesn't seem to list these. IMDB lists them under Carey Wilson. There you will find the particulars concerning these shorts. Then you may request them by name on the TCM website.

My problem was all of them looked alike to me and Nostradamas Says So said it was #1 in the series on the Title card but it was made in 1955. I have Comcast on Demand and for the past 2 months TCM has been showing the Festivals. They had the one with Radio Hams. I didn't bother with the Nostradamas because I thought I already saw it but it had 2 Nostradamas ones, but Thanks for your help..

This list has all of the Nostradamus shorts narrated by Carey Wilson

(and I don't think that there were any others, but could not say for sure).

Nostradamus (1938)

More About Nostradamus (1941)

Nostradamus and the Queen (1942)

Further Prophecies of Nostradamus (1942)

Nostradamus IV (1944)

Nostradamus Says So! (1955)

8/24 - 8/30: All times Eastern, estimated and subject to change -

8/24, 12:02am ET - Meeting the Challenge: International Velvet

8/25, 7:20am ET - Calling On Cape Town

8/26, 5:37am ET - Calgary Stampede

8/26, 8:49am ET - Wrong Way Butch

8/27, 7:17am ET - Vitaphone Pictorial Review #56

8/27, 9:41pm ET - Mr. Whitney Had a Notion

8/28, 4:36am ET - Texas Tom

8/28, 10:54am ET - Roaming Through Arizona

8/28, 12:08pm ET - The Immortal Blacksmith

8/28, 3:17pm ET - Wild Boar Hunt

8/28, 5:23pm ET - Madero of Mexico

8/28, 7:38pm ET - Visiting Virginia

8/28, 10:27pm ET - Home On the Range

8/28, 11:41pm ET - The Royal Rodeo

8/29, 2:19am ET - Through the Colorado Rockies

8/29, 3:26am ET - Rocky Mountain Grandeur

8/29, 4:41am ET - Let's Sing a Song of the West

8/29, 1:45pm ET - I Love My Husband, But!

8/29, 3:50pm ET - Visiting St. Louis

8/29, 7:49pm ET - Whisperin' Bill

8/29, 9:49pm ET - United States Coast Guard Band

8/30, 3:41am ET - Woody Herman and His Orchestra

8/30, 5:36am ET - Football Headliners

> This list has all of the Nostradamus shorts narrated

> by Carey Wilson

> (and I don't think that there were any others, but

> could not say for sure).

>

> Nostradamus (1938)

> More About Nostradamus (1941)

> Nostradamus and the Queen (1942)

> Further Prophecies of Nostradamus (1942)

> Nostradamus IV (1944)

> Nostradamus Says So! (1955)

AFAIK There are only these six titles in this series. It's also made confusing by the fact that Nostradamus IV is actually the fifth film in the series!

LG,

I think I've figured out the mystery of the numbering scheme for Carey Wilson's Nostradamus series. First, according to the TCM database, Nostradamus and the Queen was released in 1953, not 1942. Second, there is one title missing from your list. It is Lets' Ask Nostradamus. I've seen it on TCM once, many moons ago.

There were apparently 4 shorts released from 1938 to 1944 (with Nostradamus IV being the last). A second series of 3 shorts were released in 1953. They all have the subtitle "(Prophecies of Nostradamus #_)" below the main title.

Here is the second series, in order:

Nostradamus Says So! (Prophecies of Nostradamus #1)

Let's Ask Nostradamus (Prophecies of Nostradamus #2)

Nostradamus And the Queen (Prophecies of Nostradamus #3)

Hope this helps.

Wow, what has happened to the Hal Roach comedies?TCM has not shown a Roach comedy, in almost a couple of months, so I hope nothing has happened and we'll see more real, soon.

Last time I checked, TCM was still running plenty of feature length films so don't worry. And please be careful how you use the word "we", as you don't speak for "us". I'd be willing to bet the majority don't have a problem with the 'fillers' being shown on TCM. Beats the heck out of watching commercials like on that other station.

Thank-You! I am glad some other people notice the Victorian "WE" being used by certain cRazy mArys out there. But, alas, some folks don't see themselves. The network is doing a fine job. It's goal is to appeal to the widest audience base possible. The programming "WE" wants would be the end of TCM as we know it. It's supposed to be BROADCASTING, not NARROWCASTING. Requesting something here and there is fine...badgering is not cool. Not everyone is a hAl RoaCh devotee ("ect"). It's enough to make a man ashamed to say they are a member of THE SONS OF THE DESERT...ummmmppphhh!!!

You forgot to mention The Music Box .It's playing on TCM and they are playing some Roach Streamliners.I'm sorry if I offending anyone by saying they liked shorts. I thought that's why people came to this forum. Someone was just asking about the guy in the army playng the piano, so different kinds of shorts are important to different people, and I think TCM is trying to appeal to a wide audiece they seem to have alot more movies but there's less time in-between them.I don't even know if the Moon Is Blue is any good. It was talked about in a M.A.S.H. ep. and people were requesting it on the suggest a movie.

9/5 - 9/12: All times Eastern, estimated and subject to change -

9/5, 1:48am ET - Hollywood Hist-O-Rama: Fred Astaire

9/5, 1:35pm ET - The Comedians In Africa

9/5, 3:50pm ET - Picturesque New Zealand

9/5, 5:37pm ET - On the Trail of the Iguana

9/5, 7:50pm ET - 100 Years at the Movies

9/7, 11:19pm ET - In the Land of the Diamonds

9/8, 5:45am ET - Boss Didn't Say Good Morning

9/8, 7:41am ET - Who Killed Rover?

9/9, 7:33am ET - A Criminal Is Born

9/9, 11:44am ET - L.B. Mayer Ceremonies

9/11, 8:12am ET - Cavalcade of San Francisco

9/11, 7:46pm ET - Roseland

9/12, 5:39am ET - Diamond Demon

Thanks, again, for all your help for us. I know the people who've been asking about "100 Years" and "Diamond Demon" should be ecstatic. And we've got another Dogville short!

Bill

TCM seems to figured out how to put the shorts on the main schedule.So they seem to be making great progress , I only wish someone could tell me how to get off the boards. I can't find a unregistation button.