Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MGMWBRKO

Upcoming shorts on TCM

leroyshield,

With all due respect, but there is nothing wrong with a person openly posting that he or she records feature films or shorts and I'm very sorry you seem to have a problem with that, as there is no harm in doing so.Everyone has a right (as long as it clean and professional)to post anything they want on these message boards and since when does people have to keep it a secret that they record any type of programs on cable?

On other various film related websites, moderators "do allow" people to openly post special requests to try to find certain films, as many film fans and historians have asked for help on these other message boards in terms of films in general.So please, if this bothers you, then don't reply at all, it's as easy as that.

Thank You!

Amen to that.

And if anyone should have further issues, I suggest looking up the "betamax case" on google.

I for one am just asking reasonably for a coherant, reliable short schedule, with short descriptions.

MGMWBRKO and Laughing Gravy, please come back, It was beautiful!

have you ever really stopped to think that your constant announcing that you are recording and collecting TCM's material probably caused the network to pull the plug on the MGMWBRKO postings we had hear, huh?

No, I haven't ever thought about that, not really. This is certainly not the only thread where the recording subject has come up. This is a very long thread, and the subject has been dealt with before.

The problem comes when people discuss BUYING what someone else has recorded. Those who do that are seriously inviting trouble. The proper way (if there is one), as has been discussed/advised, is to say what one needs, ask if anyone has it, and then wait for someone to PM the poster for further discussion away from the boards.

I see that some of you are able to use italics and boldface, as I used to. Under the new/improved system, I no longer can. Maybe you're typing a Word document and then copy/pasting; if not, please let me know how you're getting the "goodies" to show up. Thanks.

Bill

Bill,

To make a word appear in bold type , :

Put brackets around b at the beginning of the word and a bracket and back slash before the b and end bracekt at the end of the word or title. I tried to type it out properly but the software right now won't allow it to appear as I wrote it even with line breaks and such.

And you are right about all the talk of buying a copy of what someone has recorded off the air. Studios, cable companies, networks etc all hate to know that people are doing it. It's one of the reasons that TCM has a new bug in the lower right hand screen of the movies it broadcasts.

Message was edited by: lzcutter

YOU are living in a fantasy world! I am just as much a fan of the HAL ROACH product as the next guy (I peeked over the next guy's shoulder and saw his paper, AND I AM!). If you are such a FILM HYSTERIAN (excuse me...historian) then you would have some understanding of how the film/video world works in regards to "CLASSIC FILMS". WE are just a small microcosm of the video world of today. In the big MODERN world of video production, NOSTALGIA buffs like us don't buy enough to compete with what these new wiz-kid marketing experts project in their demographic reports. TCM is a voice in the wilderness. I am (happily) surprised that it has lasted this long in the current format.

People like you actually FRIGHTEN the "SUITS". As a LAUREL & HARDY buff (not fan, as STAN was opposed to) I belong to a number of organizations where we have lovable, well meaning "RAINMAN" type people who do nothing but sit in dark rooms and eat, drink and breath C L A S S I C F I L M S . That's great for you...all the power in the world to you...knock yourself out! TO EACH, HIS OWN. Whereas your devotion is passionate and charming (yet, simple) in it's own right, it does a disservice in the long run...IF you intend to make a proactive impression on the corporate world that looks at the film holdings they own. The fact that your spelling and grammar is "atroshus" does not help our cause in the slightest...it sends out a message that classic film buffs are in the realm of "TREKKIES"...passionate, but weird.

I am sorry that this is a RANT. I know that I am preaching to the choir. To others who frequent this thread, my comments must seem like HERESY. I will be sure to turn my FEZ in at my next meeting. I promise all that this will be my last post on this thread ("YEA!!!). People like you give real (reel) film aficionados a bad rep. Some of us care AND are realistic. I know SOME peole know what I speaketh of!

One was missed and it aired just before 9 PM Pacific. I missed the start of it. It had Babe Ruth. Too bad.

leroyshield,

Wow, now it seems that you have to start to insult people, because they might have words that are not spelled correctly and you have to take a cheap shot at them, for which you have no right to do that.In the past months, I have seen you complain almost about everything a poster writes and it's making me sick to my stomach, as you think you have all the answers and believe me, you don't.l always show respect to all the board members(wether I agree or disagree with their views or opinions)on this site and it appears that you don't and I know from reading your past notes, you have offended other members simply because they may want to see a certain short, for which you have to quickly jump all over them for that, in a negative way and that's where I have a problem with that.

You think that MGMWBRKO doesn't post the shorts schedule is because members want to see different shorts or might offer a little complaint and what makes you think one hundered precent sure that's the reason?For months, he has written that they might include the shorts on their online schedule to make it easier for fans.

Hallmark Entertainment has given the home video rights(of the Roach library) to Lionsgate Home Video.Lionsgate also has the video rights to the Max Fleischer library and the classic Paul Terry Terrytoons and the problem is that the executives at the home video dept, has no clue on what they have on their hands in terms of the cartoon studios, as well as the Roach films.A friend of mine was contacted by Lionsgate's video dept to provide info about the Terrytoons, since they didn't know much about them and he was able to say thay some of the board members also think that these films won't have much appeal with modern day audiences, for which the company is mistaken on that.

leroyshield, I am not here to claim that I'm perfect, as I don't have the answers all the time and I don't always know everything, but I do know some stuff towards classic films and if a person comes to me with a question, then I'll do whatever I can to provide them as much info as I possibly can and not to insult them like you do.And I do believe that I have never wrote about making a trade with anyone(for which you claim, that I did the other day)on these message boards.If people wants to record these films, then that's their business, like I'm pretty sure to you don't record movies and shorts for your own entertainment?Please give me a break.

And all of you, the TCM posters, please allow me to apologize if I may have caused a little uproar.

Best Wishes,

Nelson

Those who take it upon themselves to criticize the grammar and spelling of others would do well to look first to their own.

can you please tell me why mgmwbrko has stopped listing the upcoming shorts....I was away and came back only to be surprised that they were not here.....whaaaaa happened???

M

mellomovieman,

TCM is working on including the shorts in the actual schedule on the website. Things aren't perfect, as we're missing a few shorts here and there, but I think they're trying to improve things.

You are right to criticise "Leroyshield", but I have seen these fellows before; he doesn't actually have any relevant or sincere issues he's at odds with you, he just craves recognition. It's just as when a small boy might start breaking things or screaming when the adults aren't making him the centre of attention.

If he can say things that trigger a response, especially a negative one, it makes him feel as though he's got power over you or the thread. I've seen sites just become consumed by these petulant time wasters. No matter what you say, he's not here for some reasonable discussion or debate; he needs to frustrate and annoy. I think if we just block him out we'll be a lot happier.

Bill,

To make a word appear in bold type , :

Put brackets around b at the beginning of the word and a bracket and back slash before the b and end bracekt at the end of the word or title. I tried to type it out properly but the software right now won't allow it to appear as I wrote it even with line breaks and such.

[ b]

Thanks, I'll try it and see what happens! (And, presumably, similar operations will produce italics and underlining.)

Bill

Message was edited by: Bill_McCrary

Trying to perfect it. The first time the whole message was "emboldened."

Well, I can now get the whole thing to show up in boldface; but I've tried several ways to stop it, without success.

I tried back-slash then bracketed "b," as well as bracket back-slash "b" bracket. I haven't tried bracket "b" back-slash bracket at the end of the paragraph.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Bill

LeroySheild...GET A LIFE! You're a miserable excuse for an human being. You act as though you're an authority on classic movies and rights yet no one knows who you are. You're a nobody trying to be a BIG SHOT in the wide world of the Internet!

Would anyone who happened to capture SKIP THE MALOO last week please contact me offline at jazzman56 AT earthlink DOT net. Thanks in advance.

Head's up my friends,

The Charley Chase three reeler "Rough Seas" (1931) will be shown on Monday morning at 5:29am(est).This short is the sequel to Chase's "High C's" that was released in 1930, as this short is a musical comedy.

Also, to play it safe, there is a 26 minute gap this Sunday morning 10/14/07 between 9:34am to 10am, that there is no short listed.

Enjoy!

Bill,

FrankGrimes had a good way of explaining it by just substituting the "b" with another letter.

Here's an example:

[a]substitute b for bold, i for italics and u for underline[/a]

Thanks. I got a PM, also, telling me essentially the same thing; but the first time I tried, I misunderstood the last part. Now it should work.

Bill

Message was edited by: Bill_McCrary

...and it DID!! Yay!

Snarfie,

Your contributions to the pre-code gallery are nothing short of sensational! What a goldmine you have provided.

Thanks

Moordi,

The Will Hays Vitaphone introduction was shown following Free and Easy (1930) on 8/30/07.

The Will Hays Vitaphone introduction was also shown before the 7/2/06 showing of the 1926 shorts you mentioned. Don Juan (1926), was shown just before these Vitaphone Shorts.

Now Playing lists the 10/16/07 showings of these 1927-1929 Vitaphone shorts:

Chips Off the Old Block (1928)

The Beau Brummels (1928)

The Cowboy and the Girl (1928)

Don't Get Nervous (1929)

My Bag O Trix (1929)

The Night Court (1927)

Don Juan (1926) is scheduled to show after these shorts. Note the revised schedule times as posted.

Message was edited by: talkietime

I just looked at the TCM month schedule, for this week (10/15) and I do not see any short films scheduled (other than the block of Vitaphone shorts on Tuesday). What's up with that?