Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MGMWBRKO

Upcoming shorts on TCM

It looks like the TCM scheduler has abandoned us. Yesterday's short films weren't listed and there's nothing coming up on the schedule. :(

Today, and over the next several days, there are a number of deviations from the published Now Playing schedules. This, and the omission of interstitial shorts from the online schedule, has prompted me to program my time-shifting devices to record all 1930s and 1940s movies, including those I have recorded in the past, in the event that "phantom shorts" may be shown.

Perhaps a new thread devoted to PHANTOM SHORTS might get noticed by the powers that be at TCM so that more "official" attention might be given to this genre.

Is it just me, or have they tightened up the schedule a bit, and there aren't many 15-20 minute windows to show a short??? I wished I had recorded Kid Glove Killer today, since there was a 20 minute section to fill. One movie that possibly will be worth watching(Well, perhaps not the movie, ;) ) is late friday/early Sat. EST....3:30 AM Mrs. Brown, You've Got A Lovely Daughter (1968)

95 mins, TV-G, Letterbox Format

5:30 AM MGM Parade Show #32 (1955)

Edit...well, just looking a bit further on Saturday, a few more that might be worth recording(moviewise as well!)

20 Saturday

6:00 AM Two Mrs. Carrolls, The (1947)

94 mins

8:00 AM Lady Vanishes, The (1938)

95 mins

10:00 AM Passport to Suez (1943) [/b]

Then later on...

12:30 PM Vera Cruz

94 mins

2:30 PM Valley Of The Kings (1954)

Late Sat/early Sun. If Robert Doesn't talk before and after this showing, might have a 19 minute window for a short...

3:45 AM Gigi (1958)

116 mins

21 Sunday

6:00 AM Ninotchka (1939)

Man, this takes awhile! ;) (And for some reason, I have to edit out the reviews, and the other info, ratings, etc or the minutes don't show up!)

Sunday night, then into Monday morn...

8:00 PM Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941)

94 mins

10:00 PM Heaven Can Wait (1978)

101 mins

12:00 AM Battleship Potemkin, The (1925)

69 mins

2:00 AM Fanny and Alexander (1982)

Weird, after Battleship Potemkin, there is a huge time block to fill! Wonder if there will be talk about the restored version coming out on Dvd...anyone hear? In fact, didn't I see in the TCM ad for it, that it this new version is for the first time more or less complete? Perhaps it's much longer than 69 minutes now.....

Some time ago MGMWBRKO mentioned that shorts were shown before or after movies of about the same vintage. It is well to keep this in mind in looking for "phantom shorts."

Thank you for showing us some possible time slots for shorts.

"I wished I had recorded Kid Glove Killer today..."

ziggyelman, I watched "Lost Angel" at lunch today, and there were no shorts shown in the sixteen minutes before and fourteen minutes following the film. So you were safe .

I don't have a DVR, or a collection, but I do enjoy watching an occasional short. I loved knowing which were going to be shown. I think the only hope is that everyone here begin a BEG-fest for MGMWBRKO's return.

talkietime ,

That makes sense, what MGMWBRKO said awhile ago....like should follow like, and all that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like a recent Charley Chase short may have run after a film you would never guess to run after(Which is why I missed all but the last minute of it :( ) Now, all I have to do is remember to record the movies I put on this thread, not the greatest memory have I!!

Patful,

Thanks for alleviating my fears! :)

Shorts are up now on the schedule grids for

the next several days. Next Charley Chase

is 10/25 at 9:22 am - Southern Exposure.

This one has actually been on before as a

"phantom short" that was on the source

tape for L&H Our Relations when that

was shown last year.

I remember when TCM showed that Chase short(following Way Out West)and it was a terrible print from what I can recall.So we'll get a new restored print of this short and quite frankly, it's not a great short to begin with, as Chase's post 1932 shorts don't(not allof them)stack up against his early sound work,

I remember when TCM showed that Chase short(following Way Out West)and it was a terrible print.....

Just checked; it was Sept 27, 2006. You're right, the print was nothing special at all, and does seem to have "artifacts" from a slightly damaged tape near the end, at least. I don't always keep the Hallmark logos, so I can't tell about that, but since they were already showing Hallmark for several months by then, can we really expect a fresh remastering? Does somebody have the inside story? Here's hoping.

Bill

BTW, they've shown at least two items today that weren't on the schedule last night: a CDNP (Phantoms) and just now, the "Moviemakers" promo for "Lolly Madonna." And someone wrote about a short last night (after "In Harm's Way"?); thought I checked the hard drive before clearing, but maybe I missed it.

'Phantoms' and 'Lolly Madonna' were on the schedule, because I saw the listings and set up to tape 'Phantoms'. But nothing was listed after 'In Harm's Way'.

Bill,

The Chase short Southern Exposure shown following L&H Our Relations on 9/27/06 had the "Distributed by Film Classics" logo at the bottom of the title screen. There was no closing logo after "The End."

The Nostalgia Channel showed Southern Exposure on 3/9/88. That version had the MGM logo at the bottom of the title screen. In that version the NRA logo appeared on "The End" screen. The Nostalgia Channel print was better in quality than the one shown by TCM in 2006.

The Nostalgia Channel also showed the Film Classics version of The Chases of Pimple Street on 3/9/88 and the MGM version of I'll Take Vanilla on 3/10/88. Both were good prints.

Message was edited by: talkietime

The Charley Chase film "Southern Exposure" is a delightful short subject from 1935. Lucky enough to own virtually all his films on film, this film is always well received when I screen it and will be a great one for all of you to catch. Many post 1932 Chase films are wonderful as well. Judge for yourself.

BTW, last night's Tribute to Charley Chase in Los Angeles was jam packed with fans who saw Dollar Dizzy in French and the rare Girl Shock, which wasn't in the original television package. Billy Gilbert's nephew was in attendance and a great deal of Chase memoribilia was on display including a 1926 original one sheet for Mighty Like A Moose and complete sets of lobby cards, scripts, pressbooks and photos.

Well, they just ran a Fitzpatrick short called Egypt Speaks , part of the People On Parade series. IMDB says its from 1951, but that is so clearly wrong....isn't it??? I mean, I guess I could be wrong since they credit him with shorts into the mid fifties...but, the into and fade out look so old fashioned! Screamed early 30's to me. I did see one truck in the short as a camel was in the shot.....

edit to say it ran after Vera Cruz....

Message was edited by: ziggyelman

I sent in the IMDb info for Egypt Speaks when it was aired a few years ago on TCM (btw, I've seen only one other entry in the People on Parade series: Voices of Venice). I based it on the years posted in the New York State Archives Motion Picture Division Film Script Index and the BFI Film & TV Database. Both list 1950, which I'm sure is what I submitted. Anyway, either the film was on the shelf for several years and wasn't released until 1950/51, or Egypt was still not that 'modern' when it was filmed.

I wish they would run some of the black & white Traveltalks, there was a short series in 1932 about how splendidly the communist experiment was going in the new soviet Russia. Apparently Fitzpatrick was given special permission to shoot there, all approved phony happy workers and set up prosperous "Potemkin Villiage" type locales. Some of the establishing shots in "CLEAR ALL WIRES!" were extracted from this series.

I bought a tape a few years past, it was from KINO, I believe, showing several of the B&W enties from 1930-33. They seemed to be in varying states of decomposition and had what look like re-release openings some of the time, others with the original B&W MGM titles. Could it be that the main body of them are now lost?

HalRoach16mm,

If you can my friend, could you post what Chase shorts was shown at the screening?

I wonder what the moviegoer's reaction was towards "Girl Shock", since this is considered to be the "holy grail" of all of the Chase's sound shorts, as I know the film was never shown to televison and was never issued to 16mm.Since TCM has already aired some rare Chase sound shorts, I truly believe that "Girl Shock" will be shown on TCM in the near future.

The Charley Chase Program spanned his entire starring career beginning with his first one reeler for Hal Roach, At First Sight. Also screened were Is Marriage The Bunk, Forgotten Sweeties, the French version of Dollar Dizzy, the elusive Girl Shock, which was very well received (the sequence where Chase goes out looking for a dog to bite him with hot dogs attached to his rear was a highlight), Four Parts (taken from a 35mm nitrate), Charley's final film, His Bridal Fright and as a bonus for the nephew of Billy Gilbert, Luncheon at Twelve.

There were many lobby cards on view and posters, pressbooks, photos and period trade magazines with Charley. There were three sets of large "UN-CUT" sheets with Chase lobby cards that were never separated for use.

Previous to the event, I received a special present from the Gilbert family; home movies containing Charley Chase in 1937. The film needs some repair and I will attend to that very soon. However, to finally see Charley Chase in a home movie......now that's a find!

Factotum:

Some of the B&W Traveltalks shorts have been aired; I recall recording one about Italy that aired after something else I was recording. I've long since taped over it.

I'd like to mention London Can Take It! showing up on Sunday the 28th after The White Cliffs of Dover (ie. about 0807 ET), since I used it in one of the Programming Challenges as part of a series of non-US films looking at World War II.

Some of the B&W Traveltalks shorts have been aired; I recall recording one about Italy that aired after something else I was recording.....

There have been at least two, though I forget their exact names, both from 1932, I think. These were E.M. Newman traveltalks, not Fitzpatrick. One on Ireland, the Emerald Isle, from 1934 may be the earliest color one shown (Fitzpatrick), though it's hard to tell from just a listing.

Bill

Monday 5 November, 7:36 p.m.:

Short Film: Panic Is On (1931)

Charley Chase's comedy skills are displayed in this short with various vignettes, including Charley walking down the street reading a paper and collecting several over-the-shoulder readers, and Charley thwarting a thief trying to take money from his wealthy girfriend's father.

Cast: Charley Chase, Charlie Hall Dir: James Parrott BW-20 mins

I just wish TCM would start a 'short' program so we could all know when they are on and get to see them. Charlie Chase, Laurel & Hardy, Buster Keaton (I've seen a few of his Columbia shorts and they were pretty good), Edgar Kennedy, Leon Errol, The Boyfriends, Todd/Kelly/Pitts etc. The Stooges too !

Message was edited by: overblue

Well, this looks to be a good one, a 3 strip techicolor 1934 pre code short with Leon Errol!!!! I found another Erroll short, Good Morning, Eve! on the web, and it was wild beyond belief! in fact, when I found out it was on The Busby Berkeley Collection box set, it made me decide to get that for Christmas.

On very early Saturday Morn, the 10th, 5:41am EST. Short Film: One Reel Wonders: Service With A Smile (1934)

The owner of a burnt down gas station attempts to fool his insurance company by embellishing the description of his business but finds the joke is on him.

Cast: Leon Errol, Maxine Doyle Dir: Roy Mack C-17 mins

The reviews from imdb.com sure make it sound like a lot of fun!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025768/usercomments