Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy Belated Birthday, Fats!

CaveGirl

I feel terrible that I forgot Antoine's birthday so I want to wish him a very happy 88th birthday!

Can you believe that he is 88 and still around? Amazing and what is also amazing are all his great performances on film like in stuff like "Shake, Rattle and Roll", "The Girl Can't Help It", "Jamboree" and "The Big Beat".

On top of that I love the way he turns a single syllable word like "thrill" into two syllables, as in "the-rill". That takes talent!

He turned 88 on February 26 and was born in 1928. So glad he is still with us.

Any other fans here? 

I feel terrible that I forgot Antoine's birthday so I want to wish him a very happy 97th birthday!

Can you believe that he is 88 and still around? Amazing and what is also amazing are all his great performances on film like in stuff like "Shake, Rattle and Roll", "The Girl Can't Help It", "Jamboree" and "The Big Beat".

On top of that I love the way he turns a single syllable word like "thrill" into two syllables, as in "the-rill". That takes talent!

He turned 88 on February 26 and was born in 1928. So glad he is still with us.

Any other fans here? 

So you can be fat and still get to 88. One of the 4 greatest '50s rockers, along with Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Eddie Cochran, who wrote their own songs. Better, IMHO, than Buddy Holly.

Yeah.  Feel bad I forgot to bring it up on a music forum I belong to.

Who didn't like Fats?  I really want not much to do with them.

Now, DGF, I'm not sure all those guys wrote BETTER music than Buddy Holly.  But surely DIFFERENT music.

Plus, for quite a while before we white dudes became familiar with Fats from "Blueberry Hill" and "Walkin'  ", he was quite well known in largely African-American R&B circuits, and probably had more of a hand in the evolution of music that became rock'n'roll than most of those other guys.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

So you can be fat and still get to 88. One of the 4 greatest '50s rockers, along with Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Eddie Cochran, who wrote their own songs. Better, IMHO, than Buddy Holly.

Apologies to you Down, and all for making poor old Fats 97. My fingers on the keyboard are never going to be as exacting as his and this slipped in my excitement to wish Antoine well belatedly!

And though I love Fats, DGF I still would prefer to date that cutie, Eddie Cochran who had a better pompadour than even Edd Kookie Byrnes. By the way, they are showing "Untamed Youth" with Eddie singing in it during this current condemned fest this month. Watch for it.

Apologies to you Down, and all for making poor old Fats 97. My fingers on the keyboard are never going to be as exacting as his and this slipped in my excitement to wish Antoine well belatedly!

And though I love Fats, DGF I still would prefer to date that cutie, Eddie Cochran who had a better pompadour than even Edd Kookie Byrnes. By the way, they are showing "Untamed Youth" with Eddie singing in it during this current condemned fest this month. Watch for it.

I'd take Eddie's two best, "Cmon Everybody" and "Somethin Else", over Fats' two best, "I'm Ready", and "I'm Gonna Be a Wheel Someday".

I'd take Eddie's two best, "Cmon Everybody" and "Somethin Else", over Fats' two best, "I'm Ready", and "I'm Gonna Be a Wheel Someday".

This is one contest I can't enter, since they are each so great but in different ways. Cochran was innovative on the guitar and I own most all of his hits, but my favorite song of his has to be "Three Steps to Heaven" which the Who ripped off for the Overture to Tommy, and I'm glad they did, Of course all his stuff, is great but they give him short shrift in "Untamed Youth" which is sad and he is the only person in black and white in "The Girl Can't Help It" color sequences, but he was also one of the first rockers to wear leather pants on stage, so bravo. Fats is way different in singing style and playing, but I might say he is the better singer by far. Cochran gives a great performance always, but even with his imitations of the Kingfish, he still lacks Domino's vocal skills. I'm sure Sharon Sheeley would disagree though.

This is one contest I can't enter, since they are each so great but in different ways. Cochran was innovative on the guitar and I own most all of his hits, but my favorite song of his has to be "Three Steps to Heaven" which the Who ripped off for the Overture to Tommy, and I'm glad they did, Of course all his stuff, is great but they give him short shrift in "Untamed Youth" which is sad and he is the only person in black and white in "The Girl Can't Help It" color sequences, but he was also one of the first rockers to wear leather pants on stage, so bravo. Fats is way different in singing style and playing, but I might say he is the better singer by far. Cochran gives a great performance always, but even with his imitations of the Kingfish, he still lacks Domino's vocal skills. I'm sure Sharon Sheeley would disagree though.

Singing ability? Neither one could be confused with Pavarotti.

I just listened to all 4 songs. All are A+. Actually, I'll give Fats a slight advantage. They were very different. Eddie was rockabilly. Fats was boogie-woogie.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings